Chapter 9

Deception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Erm…” You stared wide-eyed at the stranger who was sitting on the couch in your living room. She was on her earpiece so she didn’t hear you and her eyes were still on her phone. Closing the door behind you with a frown, you walked towards the lady and snapped your fingers in front of her to get her attention. 

 

Flinching, she looked up at you in shock and pulled out her earpiece before standing up. 

 

“Oh, hello.” She rubbed her nape awkwardly and you raised your brows at her.

 

“Who are you and what are you doing here?” You asked before you managed to get a whiff of your brother’s scent on her. “You’re Samantha?” You tilted your head and her cheeks got slightly red, looking embarrassed as she gave a shy nod. Chuckling at her shy demeanor, you told her to make herself comfortable before taking the medical bag that you left on the shoe rack and left to wash up. 

 

Lying on your bed, you stared at your ceiling. It had been days since you last saw Jungkook, and you were still in the midst of a cold war with Jimin. Taehyung was the only one that you talked to besides Jina. 

 

Jaein, come to my house. The Alpha’s voice resonated in your head and you sat up. With a sigh, you left your room before you could even wash up and made your way to the Alpha’s house. 

 

“Where are you going?” You met your brother not far from your house. He was half- and sweating, telling you that he just finished his patrol. 

 

“The Alpha called me.” 

 

“At this time?” He asked, looking at his watch. It was a little past 7 and you would usually leave the packhouse at 6, but today you had to make a pit stop at the pack hospital to upload Jina’s records into the system. You had no access to the hospital’s system from your laptop, so you had no choice but to do it at the hospital. 

 

Nodding, you narrowed your eyes at him.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that Samantha was coming today?” 

 

He shrugged.

 

“Would it make a difference?” 

 

Scoffing in response, you punched his arm and gave him a lazy wave before going your way. The door opened before you could even ring the doorbell. 

 

“You’re here.” The Luna gave a warm smile and suddenly wrapped her arms around you. 

 

You tensed at the unexpected hug and saw the Alpha smiling at you over your Luna’s shoulder. After pulling away from the hug, your eyes widened at the unshed tears in her eyes. 

 

What the hell… From her reaction, you already knew the reason you were asked to come over. 

 

“Come in.” She said and pulled you into the house. “We finally met after so many years. I’m sorry, I didn’t have time to see you since I had to rush to the wolf council to write up a report on the recent rogue attacks right after the wedding. And you have no idea how much I wanted to see you after Kiseop told me who you are to Jungkook.” She said as she sat you down on the couch before pouring you a cup of tea.

 

Kiseop was the name of the Alpha, Jungkook’s father.

 

Miyeon was the name of the Luna, Jungkook’s mother, and Taehyung’s paternal aunt.

 

You never really had the chance to interact with them, and the only times you saw them and spoke to them was when you hung around the packhouse with Jungkook, Jimin, and Taehyung. Looking between the Alpha and Luna in confusion, you waited for them to speak. 

 

“I’m sorry for asking you to come over instead of heading to your house myself, but considering the situation, I doubt you have already told your family about Jungkook. So, I thought it would be better to talk here than the packhouse, or your house.” She started and you nodded your head hesitantly, placing the cup of tea on the coffee table.

 

“I have no idea how to apologize for the pain he has caused you, but if it makes you feel any better, we have already found a lead on who drugged Jungkook, and we’re one step closer to the culprit.” 

 

Your back straightened at the information whilst your wolf surfaced to make its presence known. The animal instinct in you immediately awakened and you were prepared to run and hunt the culprit down as soon as you knew who it was.

 

How dare he?

 

“Calm down.” The Alpha commanded lowly, and your wolf had no choice but to retreat back into the shadows of your conscious but you were still tensed. 

 

“The drug that was used had a mix of both wolfsbane and concentrated . It weakened Jungkook’s senses and he definitely had no control over his actions.” The Alpha said as he sat beside the Luna. 

 

“?” You tilted your head in confusion. 

 

It was weird. You expected wolfsbane since the herb was the main ingredient in a poison used to kill wolves, a dose of the herb could weaken a werewolf substantially. The first loophole in this story that you realized when you first heard from Jina was the fact that a werewolf was drugged. Why would someone try to drug a werewolf instead of killing them? 

 

The Alpha nodded.

 

“The goal wasn’t to kill Jungkook. Jungkook did say that he remembered almost nothing that night, so we could only rely on Jina’s words.” Noticing what the Alpha was implying, you your dry lips.

 

“Jina could be linked to Jungkook getting drugged?” You voiced out your thoughts and he nodded.

 

“We’re trying to dig into her background but we’re at a dead end. We don’t know what her intentions are yet, and we have no idea if the child in her is indeed Jungkook’s. But this can’t be merely a coincidence. Nobody would drug a full-grown werewolf without a reason.” The Alpha said and you sighed.

 

What kind of did the goddess throw at you? How blissful must your life have been that the goddess decides to throw you some drama to spice up your boring life?

 

The Luna gave a tight smile and held your hands in hers. 

 

“Don’t worry darling, we’ll get to the bottom of this. We have engaged the neighboring packs to help too.”

 

“Why are you telling me this though?” You couldn’t help but ask.

 

“You told me that Jina told you about the things that happened between her and Jungkook right?” The Alpha asked and you nodded immediately. 

 

“Have you thought about the reason?” He asked and you recalled your encounters with the pregnant female.

 

“To befriend me?” You answered uncertainly.

 

The Alpha hummed. His eyes were closed as he massaged his temples, thinking. 

 

“I guess that makes sense, considering how lonely she must be in the packhouse without anyone to accompany her. Did you tell her about the way to break a bond?” He finally looked up at you after he finished gathering his thoughts.

 

You nodded.

 

“She said okay to breaking the bond, and that it made more sense for her to save her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter