Chapter 22

Deception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“My own wolf isn’t listening to me.” You were in disbelief as you paced around your ward with your arms crossed. Your mate and best friends were with you. 

 

You couldn’t believe that your wolf went rabid on your mate. Who would have thought that a rabid wolf could not recognize her own mate?  

 

“The first time you called her forward, you managed to control her right? With no aggression?” Laura asked and you nodded with no hesitation. 

 

“She was docile. I called her forward a few times after that, and she was calm,” you said with your brows furrowed, feeling agitated.

 

It had just been a few hours since you pounced on your mate, and you woke up alone. You attempted to call on your wolf a few more times but nothing happened, there were no signs of aggression and it was as if you didn't attempt to scar your mate's face hours ago. You sat on your bed and crossed your legs, still thinking. 

 

“Maybe the lost connection drove caused your wolf to be unstable?” Jimin suggested and you nodded. 

 

It was already an expected outcome, but everyone was clinging on to the hope that you wouldn't lose control over her.

 

“Likely. So I’m basically a pack hazard, the more reason I shouldn’t be Luna," you turned to Jungkook and his jaw slightly dropped.

 

The tension in the room was starting to get suffocating. Jimin was staring at me in shock, Taehyung was looking between you and Jungkook, his face morphed into one of discomfort, and Laura pursed her lips to stop a snort. She just finds the strangest things amusing. You gave a nonchalant shrug when you saw Jungkook’s look of disbelief, you drank the glass of water that you poured for yourself to quench your thirst. 

 

“Okay, now is not the time to be talking about that. That can wait, but we can’t let an unstable wolf loose,” Laura said. 

 

“So… are you guys going to keep me locked up until I get my together? I can’t work, can’t mingle with anyone, basically, I can’t be around people without the risk of going bat crazy,” you asked, meaning for it to be a joke but it clearly failed.

 

Your words seemed to have baffled everyone in the room except Laura, who was shaking her head in amusement. She gets you. 

 

“You make it sound like locking you up was nothing,” Jungkook said, his face gave nothing away but you knew that he was confused by your words. 

 

Okay, maybe the joke may not be a joke after all.

 

“Are you going to lock me up?” You asked with your eyebrows raised. 

 

“Are you able to control your wolf? “ He refuted and your stomach drop. 

 

Oh my goddess. 

 

The anger was clearly a trigger to your wolf’s violence. Your claws were extended and you glared at your mate with loathe, your own anger was mixed with your wolf’s and it was difficult to determine if your anger was elevated by your wolf’s ferocity, or it was just you that was angry at the fact that your mate was trying to keep you locked up, again. Likely the latter.

 

The sight of your anger immediately made the others tense in the ward, including Laura, who put her guards up. 

 

“No, fine. Lock me up then. I’ll willingly get my hands and legs cuffed up right now,” you snapped and Jungkook gave one of his own glares.

 

“Don’t test me Jung Jaein,” he growled. 

 

You scoffed in response, “it’s going to happen sooner or later. Why not the former so that I can get used to it sooner too.” 

 

“You’re unbelievable,” he shook his head and left the ward, with a slam.

 

Jimin sighed and massaged his temples.

 

“I guess you’re still you.”

 

“Don’t need to sound so upset over it.” You rolled your eyes and before you knew it, your claws retracted. “Wow, as soon as he left, my wolf calmed down.” 

 

You looked at your hands and chuckled. 

 

“He’s worried sick about you, you didn’t need to shove the fact that he had restrained his mate in his face.” Taehyung scolded with his arms crossed. 

 

“He did shove the fact that I’m Luna right after I regained consciousness from my supposed execution. My wolf is rabid and I’m supposed to be prioritizing the Luna position over trying to heal my wolf?” You looked at your best friends with your brows lifted, challenging them.

 

“She does have a point,” Laura said and went over to you. 

 

She wrapped her arms around your shoulder to comfort you. 

 

“Don’t bully her,” she glared at her mate and you snorted.

 

Bully.

 

It was Taehyung’s turn to sigh and his hands rested on his hips, “fine.”

 

“Can I see the baby that they found me with?” You suddenly asked, turning to look at Laura since the other two would unlikely agree.

 

She tilted her head in confusion.

 

“You do know that he's Lim Gayeon’s baby right?” Jimin asked and your back straightened at the name of the girl that you had killed. 

 

“I guess not,” he added softly at your reaction. “Do you want to see him still?” 

 

You thought for a bit, the baby was innocently squeezing your index finger the last time you saw him. It didn’t matter whose kid he belonged to, you just wanted to see that he was fine with your own eyes. With a nod, you answered with a firm ‘Yes’. Jimin shared a look with Taehyung and both of them left the ward, surprising you. 

 

“Wow, are they actually going to bring the baby to you?” Laura asked, unwinding her arms around you.

 

You shrugged and turned to lean against the top half of your bed that was slightly lifted. Putting your hands on top of your knees, you looked at the girl in front of you who was staring at you as intensely.

 

“You’re pregnant, I know,” you blurted. 

 

She widened her eyes and her lips were slightly apart in shock. 

 

“You smell different the moment you stepped into the ward. My senses have heightened for some reason, it may have to do with my wolf’s current wild state. Congratulations though, but I’m surprised Taehyung allowed you to be alone with an unstable werewolf that can lash out at any given minute.” 

 

Laura laughed at your words.

 

“Oh, he knows that I’d wrestle him into submission if he does that and for the safety of the baby, he’d rather not risk that.” 

 

It was your turn to laugh but it immediately died down when you saw the apologetic look on her face. 

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” 

 

“It’s just that… I didn’t mean to tell you about the pregnancy until you’re discharged, plus… it feels like dropping a bomb on an already damaged land.”

 

You felt even more confused at her words, she saw the look on your face and released a sigh. 

 

“Goddess, you’re barren and here I am telling you that I’m pregnant. You should’ve understood the metaphor.” 

 

Realization dawned upon you and you could feel your wolf scratching your consciousness, there was no anger or violence, it was anguish. The fact that you couldn’t have babies was the last thing in your mind and when Laura reminded you of your body’s flaw, you released a dry chuckle. It felt like you were hit by a train head-on. 

 

“You…forgot?” Laura noticed the change in your face and you smirked. 

 

“I did actually. It’ll just be another reason on the list of reasons why I shouldn’t be Luna.”

 

Your head leaned against the bed and you closed your eyes. It was starting to get harder to breathe and you opened your eyes. 

 

“Seeing how calm you are, you must still b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter