Chapter 24

Deception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Clinical trial?” Taehyung questioned. 

 

Everyone was present in the packhouse dining room. Your family, including your newly acquainted niece, called Jung Yoojung, aged 3 and was so shy that she started crying when you attempted to carry her in your arms. Taehyung, Laura, and your godson Kim Bohyung, aged 4, was born a few months after you left and was the opposite of your niece. He was so outgoing that he started showing off his toys to you the moment you introduced yourself to him. Jimin and Rachel were sitting side by side while Jungkook sat at the head of the dining table with you sitting on his right. His parents moved to Switzerland after they handed the title over to Jungkook to enjoy their retirement life, which was a year after you left. 

 

It took a year for him to comprehend and finally understand that you weren't going back anytime soon, and the only assurance he had was your note that told him that you'd be back.

 

You were casually talking about what you did during residency and told them that you were chosen to be part of the hospital’s clinical trial team, specializing in repairing a female’s uterus. Basically, helping women who had a dysfunctional uterus by making it functional without the need to perform a transplant. As a person who had a dysfunctional uterus yourself, you were determined to find a cure for yourself, so you worked harder than most and easily became your boss’ favorite. 

 

Humming in response, you nodded and took another bite of your steak cube. 

 

“I was one of the candidates for the trial and also the team member involved in researching ways to repair a womb.” 

 

“You’re one of the candidates?” Your brother gaped and you nodded again.

 

“In other words, you’re experimenting with your own body again?” Jungkook asked and his grip on his cutleries tightened which caused his knuckles to turn white while he glared at the plate of food in front of him.

 

Oh . You scolded yourself and sheepishly looked around the table. 

 

Everyone looked pissed, except Laura who looked indifferent and knew that you were someone capable of hurting yourself to achieve the results that you wanted, Rachel was casually eating since she already knew what you were doing, and the two children were looking around curiously.

 

“Technically, I was but there are also other patients. Okay, the point is, it ended successfully,” you said, trying to conclude the conversation.

 

“So you can have kids?” Your mother asked hopefully and you nodded.

 

“Not from the clinical trial though, I had to get a transplant instead since the scars from the silver bullets were irreparable and the trial made…it worse…” You reluctantly said, eyeing their reaction.

 

Rachel met eyes with you and she gave you a face that told you to shut your trap because you were not helping the situation and was just digging deeper into your own grave. 

 

“I’ll take my leave first.” Jungkook slammed his fork and knife on the dining table, startling you, and left the dining room. 

 

Yoojung looked like she was about to cry and Samantha carried her from the baby chair and placed her daughter on her lap while Bohyung looked confused.

 

“Why is the Alpha angry?” He turned to Taehyung, his father, and asked.

 

“Because your godmother did something that had upset him.”

 

“What did you do?” Bohyung turned his attention to you.

 

You released an awkward chuckle and took a sip of water while thinking of a way to escape. Stomping out like Jungkook seemed wrong since you were the one who caused this mess, so you needed an excuse before they started nagging at you.

 

Your phone started vibrating and you immediately picked up the phone without looking at the caller ID, saved by the phone. Giving them an awkward smile to excuse yourself, you quickly left the dining room while you answered your phone. 

 

“Oh my god, you picked up my call.” The voice that reached your ear immediately made you regret not checking the caller ID. 

 

“Stella,” you sighed and the girl on the other side of the line laughed.

 

She was in the same residency program as you and goddess, she was so annoying and clingy. You were fine with being friends with her but she was one of those attention seekers and tried to befriend anyone and everyone by talking behind their backs and spreading rumors. You were one of the victims of those false rumors, and everyone in the hospital that you worked at knew that your uterus wasn’t working before the transplant took place. The rumor was that you were in a gang and one of the condition was to sterilize you, making you infertile but you left the gang and was trying to reverse what you did.

 

When one of your doctor colleagues told you about the rumor that was surrounding you, you laughed so hard that you fell off the chair.

 

It was absurd.

 

It didn’t take long for you to track the culprit that had started the rumor since all of the rumors surrounding the hospital came from her, but you didn’t bother correcting her. You didn’t care anyway since your only goal was to finish your residency and head back home.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that you went back to your homeland?” 

 

“I don’t think we were ever close enough for me to tell you about my future plans. Do you need anything?” You asked right away, not wanting to entertain her.

 

You walked out of the packhouse and was walking around the front lawn while the phone was against your ear.

 

“Since you left… can you recommend me to Doctor Stevens to replace your spot as her resident?” She asked and you laughed.

 

“You want to take over my spot?” You mocked.

 

“What’s wrong? I’m as good as you,” she was defensive and sounded offended.

 

“Okay, if you are, then you won’t need me to recommend you. If that’s all, I’m hanging up.” You hung up without waiting for her reply and stretched your arms out, breathing in the cold autumn air while looking up at the starry nights. 

 

You lived in the city so there was a lot of light pollution and you could barely see any stars, unlike your home. Surrounded by nature and it was the natural habitat for your werewolf, you instantly felt calm and enjoyed the night breeze.

 

“That was a quick call,” you heard Laura’s voice and you looked back to see her leaving the packhouse alone.

 

Giving her a wave, you put an arm around her shoulder as you went back to looking at the stars and the moon.

 

“It wasn’t important. You’re angry with me too, aren’t you?” You asked and Laura immediately punched your side so hard that you were groaning in pain and had you stumbling to the side.

 

“I guess we’re even now.” 

 

You glared at her and straightened your back but your hand continued pressing on the side that she punched.

 

“Goddess, that was painful!” 

 

“Leaving without a word is painful too,” she snapped and you rolled your eyes.

 

“I did leave a note. Besides, you’d tell Taehyung if I were to tell you beforehand.” 

 

Laura sighed and put an arm around your shoulder. 

 

“I guess I understand why you did that.” 

 

Both of you shared a comfortable silence as you enjoyed the sight in front of you, the sound of cicadas crying, and the cold wind brushing through your hair.

 

You returned to your room when everyone started leaving the packhouse one by one. Lying down on the bed, you breathed in his scent and slowly drifted off to sleep. You felt a shift on the bed and stirred awake when you felt one of his arms sliding below your neck while the other wrapped around your back, pulling you closed to him. 

 

“Are you still angry?” You asked softly while your eyes were still closed.

 

“A little, but I’m good as long as you’re here and safe in my arms,” he whispered and pressed his lips on your forehead. 

 

Your lips twitched in response and you wrapped your left arms around his waist. His heartbeat lulling you back to sleep.

 

Jungkook went to do his Alpha duties while you headed straight for the hospital, they were already informed of your arrival as a new surgeon. You were met with surprised eyes and curious eyes around the pack, which was expected since you went missing for years without speaking a word to anyone. There were skeptical eyes and excitement as well, but you didn’t comment on them and greeted them casually.

 

You worked as usual and by the time you went back, you were so tired that you went straight to bed right after you showered, not caring whether or not your hair was still wet. Jungkook was sleeping soundly on the bed and you smiled at how peaceful he looked before you went into bed with him. You had an almost 24 hours shift because of the back-to-back long surgeries, and a few consultations for in-patients and this was only your first day.  There were some werewolves patients and some humans, the humans just treated you like a doctor but the werewolves treated you like a Luna, calling you the latter title instead of a doctor which you didn’t mind since you needed to get used to it.

 

Jungkook did come to visit you late at night but you were in the middle of surgery and both of you interacted for a minute before you had to get back.

 

His arms automatically wrapped around your waist the moment you hit the bed and you snuggled with him.

 

“You’re late.” He mumbled against your temple and you hummed in response.

 

“And you need to get up soon.” 

 

He tightened his arms to pull you closer and dip his head into your shoulder, pressing his lips on your neck. 

 

“I don’t want to.” The vibration on his chest when he spoke sent pleasurable shivers down your spine and you groaned in response, too tired to do anything. 

 

“Let me sleep.” 

 

He released a throat chuckle and said, “fine.” 

+.+.+

There was a kid in the dining room when you headed down after a good day’s sleep, but you had no idea who it belonged to and he refused to talk, or even look at you. He was just playing with the figurines in front of him, ignoring your presence while you continued looking at him while you were eating some ice cream. You offered some to him but he blatantly ignored you too, so you gave up trying to communicate with him.

 

It was already in the late afternoon and your shift starts at 5 at dawn.

 

“Are you really not going to tell me your name, little boy?” You asked after you smacked your lips, not liking how you were being treated like you were invisible. 

 

He glanced up at you and looked back down at his figurines, making you sigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter