Chapter 11

Deception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You were regaining consciousness, and the moment your fingers twitched, you felt two hands holding your hand. From the tingles that you felt, you knew who it was. You opened your eyes with much difficulty and was met with a pair of worried eyes.

 

“You’re finally awake.” His voice was husky and he put your hand on his cheek.

 

The pain was still present but it was bearable. Your lips slightly curled and formed a weak smile, your thumb caressing his prominent eye bag, making you wonder how many nights had he been staying up for. You moved your hand away and attempted to sit up but ended up groaning in pain. You stand corrected, the pain was still unbearable. Jungkook noticed and immediately got up from his chair and helped you.

 

He supported your weight as he pressed the button on the remote control, which was situated at the side of the bed, and the top half of the bed was slowly rising. After pouring a glass of water, he placed the rim of the glass on your lips and tilted it up enough for you to take a sip, soothing your dry throat.

 

“I guess the silver did a number on me.” You muttered and looked around the spacious ward.

 

There was a tense silence between the both of you since neither knew how to start the conversation without ending it off with an argument, fortunately, the silence was broken by your new visitors. Turning your head, you smiled when you saw your family and your best friends, who looked relieved to see you.

 

“Goddess.” Your mother went to hug you but you released a soft yelp when you felt the strain on your body. She released you and apologized with tears in her eyes.

 

“You got us so worried.” Your father said with a strained voice.

 

You could see that he was trying his best not to cry, while your brother didn’t even bother hiding his tears of happiness. Samantha was right beside him, patting his back to console him.

 

“I guess I’m not fated to die yet.” You sighed and flinched when your brother exclaimed.

 

“Yah!”

 

The glares that you were getting from them sent shivers down your spine and you cleared your throat awkwardly, feeling guilty for saying something inappropriate. Death might be a touchy word to joke about for a while

 

“Sorry.”

 

The door opened again and you widened your eyes at the person standing at the door.

 

“Laura…”

 

Your eyes automatically shifted to the young girl beside her, and you instantly knew who she was.

 

“I’m sorry, I came two minutes late.”

 

The younger girl said and you pursed your lips. So this was what she meant. Her face was expressionless as she eyed the others in the ward warily.

 

“I didn’t die though… So technically…you're not too late.” You carefully said, hopefully, your words didn’t trigger anyone’s outburst as it did seconds ago.

 

The witch tilted her head in confusion.

 

“She doesn’t know yet?”

 

“She just woke up,” Jungkook replied and the witch sighed while you blinked.

 

It was your turn to be confused.

 

“Know what?”

 

The others shared a look and it was putting you off the edge. They looked reluctant to tell you, and both Samantha and your brother were looking at you with pity. Jimin, Taehyung, and your parents were avoiding your eyes while Jungkook had his jaw clenched. Laura was giving you a reassuring smile and the witch looked at you with indifference.

 

What?

 

Your patience was running thin.

 

“Why did you leave without telling anyone?” Jungkook asked and you frowned at his attempt to change the topic.

 

“Ji- Gayeon was the one who wanted to take a walk. Anyway, don’t change the subject, what is it am I supposed to know?” You said and you were surprised when they didn’t even react to Gayeon’s name.

 

Guess they managed to figure something out.

 

“You guys… don’t seem surprised at Jina’s real name.” You said.

 

“I’m the one who told them. There’s a witch that’s going against all the witch's laws to help her, that’s why I came here willingly.” The witch said and you nodded, understandingly.

 

It didn't matter to you whether or not she already had a purpose in helping you, all you knew then was that you needed her help.

 

“So, what is it that I’m supposed to know?” You asked for the third time, trying hard not to scream the question out loud.

 

They were clearly avoiding the topic.

 

None of them wanted to say anything and you raised your brows at Laura and the witch, searching for an answer from them instead.

 

“You’re barren,” Jungkook said with a soft voice and you widened your eyes at his words.

 

The future that you have always dreamt about since you were a pup came crashing down the moment his words left his lips. A family like your own, living happily with your mate and pups. It was a simple dream, yet seemed so hard to achieve now.

 

Was the life trial with Lim Gayeon not sufficient for the goddess? Did you do something to offend the goddess in your previous life to make her give you this wretched fate?

 

You were so deep in thought that the voices around you were drowned and the words they say sounded muffled. Your train of thoughts was only broken when Jungkook squeeze your hands on your lap and you lifted your head to meet his concerned eyes.

 

“Are you… okay?” He cautiously asked.

 

“I don’t know.” You honestly said.

 

You felt lost.

 

What were you supposed to do? Throw a random tantrum? Scream and curse the goddess? Go back to being depressed? You had no idea what kind of reaction you were supposed to give, and neither do you know what kind of reaction the people in the ward were expecting. They seemed cautious of you and was prepared to hold you back if you were to act rashly.

 

“My poor child.” Your mother softly cried and hugged your father.

 

Frowning in confusion, shouldn’t you be the one crying?

 

“Why are you crying mum?”

 

“I’m crying in your stead.” Your mother sniffed and you couldn’t hold the scoff from releasing. Her crying was just making you feel worse, and it was annoying.

 

“Thanks for that.” You rolled your eyes and muttered under your breath.

 

“Jung Jaein.” Your father warned and you looked at him.

 

“If you’re going to stay here and cry at my misery in my stead, please see yourselves out. My entire body is still hurting and I barely have the energy to argue with anyone.”

 

“Jaein-ah.” Your mother reached out to hug you but you turned your head away.

 

“Go.” You weakly said and closed your eyes.

 

Sighs were heard and it was followed by fading footsteps and the opening and closing of your ward’s do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter