chapter 40

Love(Editing)

-Eun Ji-

"What a stressful day," I breathed out weakly, closing the door behind me. Now I had come home to face an empty life, an empty apartment, and an empty heart. I should have just taken the day off, I thought as I kicked off my shoes. It had been a week since Ji Ho had taken us on that vacation. I would see him but barely talk to him.
Jae Rim and Tae Woo were stay over at Ji Ho's for the week, which gave me a bit of time to relax. But I just couldn't relax.

The quietness of the apartment made me feel as alone as I had feared it would.

Even after I had eaten, taken a bath and  had struggled to get myself onto the bed, and curled up on the mattress for the night, I still felt very alone and empty. 

"Daddy." I whispered as though he were standing before me, his face turned up in a warm smile. "Mommy never came back for us, Daddy." I wanted to get up, drag out the box containing the remaining things our dad left behind. I wanted to feel the softness of his winter sweater against my face. To hear his happy laughter. Instead, I clamped my eyes shut and tried to sleep.

It was almost autumn. What had I expected from the nearing season?

The hurt inside was the hardest to bear at this time of year, and I hoped for it to be over soon. His terrible anniversary was nearby, threatening to swallow me in grief, like it does every year.

I threw back the cover and reached for my phone. The time read 10:13pm.

I wonder if it was still too late to call Seung Ho.

I dialed his number and my finger loomed over the call button.

"What do I have to lose, if I at least don't try" I muttered, quickly pressing the call button. I hesitated for a minute before I brought the phone up to my ear. The phone rang twice before a male picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hi Seung Ho, this is Eun Ji...um....the girl that you met a-"

"Ah, Eun Ji! Sorry, I thought that you were never going to contact me after that. How are you?" He asked in a cheerful voice.

"I'm doing alright, thank you for asking. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm good"

"Um...can I talk to you?" I asked.

"Yeah sure, I'm not busy"

"I'm losing it..." I whispered, and I felt my entire body relax as the words came out. I really needed someone to talk to since it seemed like everyone around was too busy living their own lives.

"I want to do better with my life..."

"It's okay..." Seung Ho said slowly. 

"No, it's not." I said, and  disentangled myself from my blanket and sat against the wall. 

"I've never been good at anything and the person that I liked totally rejected me. And he's doing a pretty good job at avoiding me."

"What are you not good at?" Seung Ho asked.

I looked down at my toes and sighed.

"Life" I said simply.

"Well, humans don't get graded, you know", he said with a chuckle.

I looked out the window at the cerulean sky. Why was the weather so down lately?  

"We can fix that, Eun Ji."

"Can we really fix that?" I asked, my voice shaking.

"Of course we can"

"Alright" I let out a sigh of relief, feeling reassured.

_________________________________________

Getting to the end of this fanfic ^^

Only 4-5 chapters left