Chapter 18

Love(Editing)

 “Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down. 

 

 

Zico’s POV

“Ah, another day finished” I said, taking off my apron. I said goodbye to all of the other staffs except Eun Ji because she was helping me clean up. After the last person had left, I turned and headed towards the kitchen. I saw Eun Ji sweeping the floor.  Her head was bent low, as if she was looking for something. She looked really sad today. I hanged the apron and stood there for a sec. I walked up to her and grabbed the broom from her hand.

“Huh? Let me do it” She said, trying to grab the broom. I pushed her hands away, not wanting to give the broom up. I cupped her chin and lifted it up. There I got a better view. Her cheeks were wet with tears. How could I not notice her crying? *Zico, you’re so stupid!!!* I thought.

“Eun Ji, what’s wrong?” I asked, not letting go.

“Nothing, just let me go” She said, closing her eyes. I dropped the broom behind me and stared at her.

“You now have my full attention, Eun Ji. Now what’s wrong?” I asked, wanting to know.

“Nothing’s wrong” She answered, wiping her eyes. I pulled her towards me and wrapped my arms around her.

“Please, let me go” She said, obviously not trying to push me away.

“I won’t let you go until you tell me what’s bothering you” I said, her hair. She didn’t say anything. She slowly wrapped her arms around me and whispered.

“I used all of my money for the week and I now don’t have money to even buy food for the week”

“What about school?” I asked. I was really worried about her.

“I don’t have any money to pay for any of our school fees so I just pulled them out of school and I took a few weeks off of school to gather up some money” She replied. I felt tears seep through my shirt. I couldn’t help it but start crying also.

“I’ll do everything in my will to help you, Eun Ji” I said. Her situation reminded me a bit of my father’s situation when he was growing up with not enough money, and not even the hope to make it out.

“Please you don’t have to” She said, pulling away.

“No I want to. As your friend” I said.

“Friend?” She asked.

“Yes, friend” I said, looking at her. She went to the locker at the back of the kitchen and came back wearing her bag.

“I have to go” she said.

“Why?” I asked

“We’re done” She said, smiling

“Ok” Eun Ji and I walked to the door and I locked the door to the café. We made our way towards the car and got in. I pulled my car out of the parking lot and headed towards her apartment. We got there in 45 minutes. I turned off the car.

“Where do you think you’re going?” asked Eun Ji, as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

“One person can’t carry two children” I said, getting out. She also got out and started walking towards the building. I followed her inside. We turned around the corner, still on the first floor. We finally stopped in front of APT #14. She knocked on the door and we waited. The door opened, revealing a poorly dressed middle aged woman.  She looked at me up and down. She then turned to Eun Ji and gave her the “you’re such a ” look. *What the hell is wrong with this woman? It’s not like Eun Ji is my toy*

“You’re late” She said.

“I know, I’m sorry” Eun Ji, bowing.

“Come in” The woman said, leaving the door opened. We followed her in, towards the living room, where lying on the floor were Tae Woo and Jae Rim.

“How come they are lying on the floor?” I demanded

“Because Jae Rim pees on herself and I don’t want her ruining my expensive silk blanket” She replied, sticking her nose up.

“So you think it’s better to just let them sleep on the hard floor?” I asked, appalled.

“They’re not complaining” She said, glaring at me.

“Whatever” I said. I bent down, and gently picked up Jae Rim. She wrapped her arms around my neck.

“Eun Ji, Put Tae Woo on my back” I said.

“No, let me carry him” She said.

“No, you have enough to worry about. Now please do it” I said.

“Ok” She picked up Tae woo, while I bent down a bit. She laid him on my back and wrapped his arms around my neck. As we turned around to leave, the rat face looking woman cleared .

“You forgot to give me my money” She said, sticking out her hand.

“I-“Eun Ji was about to say but I intervened.

“Reach into my back pocket and pull out my wallet” I instructed her. She came closer and pulled out my wallet.

“Now, how much money does she own you?” I asked.

“She owns me 475,445 won (about $420), plus an additional 113,000 won (about $100) for every time she forgot to give me money to feed these brats” She said, looking at my wallet. I couldn’t believe my ears.  She just called Eun Ji’s little siblings brats, right in front of her.

“Give her 588,445 won” I said. Eun Ji reached into my wallet and her eyes opened in shock. The rat face stretched out her neck and was shocked at the amount of money in my wallet. Eun Ji took out the amount and handed it to rat face.

“There, you got your stupid money” I spat out.

“I won’t be looking after them anymore” She said, counting her money.

“Fine, we won’t be needing your services, you selfish disgraceful rat face” I said, storming out.

“Eun Ji, let’s go” I called out, standing in the hallway. Eun Ji appeared a minute later, crying.

“Slam that door” I ordered. She nodded and slammed the door.

“Zico, you just ruined my life” She said, looking at me.

“If you’re looking for a baby sitter, you’re looking right at it. I’m great with kids” I said.

“Now tell me where you live” I said. She began walking so I followed her. We got up to the 2nd floor and ended up at APT #29. She got out the keys from her bag and opened it. I was shocked to see what appeared in front of me.

“You live here?” I asked.

“Yes, I think you’ve already asked that question before” She said. I went inside. The place was so small.

“Follow me”

I followed her into the only bedroom in the apartment. There in the room, on the floor was a white mattress pushed against the wall with blankets all over it. Next to it was a blue mat. The walls of the room were slightly yellowish. At one corner of the room sat bags of cloths and 3 backpacks.

“Put them on the bed” She said, pointing. I gently put down Jae Rim first, then Tae Woo. I covered the both of them with blankets and left the room.

“So you have now seen a glimpse in my everyday life” She said, coming out. She closed the door and walked into the “kitchen”, if I could call it that. I followed her. The kitchen wasn’t that bad, it was actually clean. She got out a cup and poured some tap water.

sadang%20apartment%20kitchen.jpg&sa=X&ei

“You want some?” She asked, turning around.

“No, I’m fine” I said, shaking my head.

“Eun Ji, I want to talk to you about something” I said, sitting on the floor.

She came and sat down, next to me.

“I’ll pay for your family’s school education and housing if you continue working for me” I said.

“Um, you don’t have to do that. I can manage” she said, looking at the floor. It must be really shameful to be told that.

“No, I’m serious” I said.

“Look Zico, I don’t need your pity or your money. I can manage” She said, looking at me.

“You’re being really selfish right now. You are depriving Tae Woo and Jae Rim’s chances of getting a better future” I said, not giving up.

“Don’t judge me, Zico. You don’t know me” She said, about to get up. I griped her wrist and pulled her down.

“I’m only trying to help you. Now give me Jae Rim and Tae woo’s school address. I also want yours too” I said, staring her in the eyes

“Ok” She said getting up. She brought back some papers, which contained their school information. I took them and made a phone call to my friend, Jaehyo.

“Jaehyo hyung, can you contact Seo-woon high school and Incheon School?” I asked

“Yeah, wait” He said. I waited for about 5 minutes before he came back.

“Can you pay online for school fees?” I asked

“Yeah you can” He said.

“Ok then. Pay for these people” I said. I gave him the names and my credit card number.

“Ok it’s all done. These people should report to school tomorrow” He said.

“Thanks, Hyung” I said, hanging up.

“You guys start school tomorrow. I’ll come pick you guys up and send you to and from school” I said, smiling. Just when I thought I was doing something right, Eun Ji starts crying.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, pulling her closer to me.

“Thank you so much” She said, hugging me. It felt so good to be helping someone.

“It’s ok. Remember, that’s what friends are for” I said, gently pulling her away. I took out my phone and looked at the time. It was getting to 10pm.

“I have to go, I’ll come around 7:00am since school doesn’t start until 8” I said, getting up. I walked to the door with Eun Ji behind me.

“Thanks again” She said, hugging me.

“Hmmm” I said, nodding. I opened the door and walked out towards my car.