Chapter 13

Love(Editing)

Zhara

I woke up around 9am to find a note by my bed side. I rubbed my eyes to wake myself up before sitting up straight. I reached over and took the note. I opened it and read it.

What was he talking about? I decided to ignore it and got up. I went to the bathroom, and took a shower. I found an unopened tooth brush at the bottom of the sink and used that to brush my teeth. After I finished, I blow dried my hair and got out. I wore the same dress that I had worn last night. Whatever Zico had been apologizing for now bothered me. I sat on the bed and decided to think back to what happened last night. I remembered waking up in the middle of the night……

“Oh my lord!!!!” I said, covering my mouth. Now I remembered what I had done. I had totally embarrassed myself last night. I decided to forget that it ever happened and got up to go to the kitchen. I found some waffles in the fridge and toasted it up in the microwave oven. I set it on the table and got out a bottle of banana milk. I sat down to eat before making my journey back to Hyori and Eddie’s house. As I was eating and drinking my milk, I heard the front door open. I got up to see who it was, and it happened to be Zico.

“Umm hi” he greeted, scratching the back of his neck. He averted eye contact by looking on the ground. I needed him to feel comfortable.

“It’s ok. Just forget it ever happened” I said, walking back to the kitchen.

“I just wanted to apologize again” He said, coming into the kitchen and bowing

“I said it’s ok” I said. I felt bad for him, making him feel guilty.

“It’s my fault, not yours. I crossed the line” I said, bowing.

“Oh ok” He said smiling as I was getting up. I pursed my lips, making sure if it was alright to approach him. I walked up to him and stuck out my right hand.

“Let’s make peace and put this to rest” I said, waiting for him to shake my hand.

“I think that it’s a very good idea” He said, giving my hand a firm shake. We kept on shaking while smiling at each other. I traced my thumb over his soft skin, mesmerized by how soft and delicate it felt. I realized what I was doing and quickly yanked my hand away.

“Ah ah, aren’t you hungry?” I asked, taking a seat at the table once again. Zico took the seat next to me.

“No, I already ate at the café” He replied, staring at me while I shoveled the last piece of waffle into my mouth. I slowly chewed it, savoring the taste of the crispy waffle.

“These are good” I said, getting up with my plate and milk carton in hand.

“I made them” he said, still sitting by the table. I threw the carton in the trash and got the sponge out of the sink to wash the plate.

“Really?” I asked, surprised. I squeezed the soap bottle to get some soap on to the sponge.

“You don’t have to wash that. You can just put it in the dishwasher” he said.

“No it’s ok. Besides, why bother when I don’t even know how to use the thing” I said, turning on the faucet.

“Are you serious?” he asked. I could hear the laughter that threatened to get out.

“Yeah I’m serious” I said, putting the plate on the stainless steel dish rack that was sitting nearby.

“Wow, that’s a shocker” he said, laughing.

I turned around and faced him. His face looked soft when he laughed and his eyes sparked with delight. He looked less like a playboy when he laughed.

“Stop laughing” I said, wanting him to stop

“No, it’s just too funny” he said, his face all of a sudden serious. It scared me. He just looked at me for a minute before he went back to laughing.

“You should have seen your face. You looked so scared” he said, wiping his eyes.

“Please stop” I pleaded

“Or what?” He asked.

“Or….or….. I’m going to stop being your friend and you’re going to really regret losing me as a friend” I said, turning around. I the faucet again and washed my hands. I picked up the dish towel and started wiping my hands. As I was doing that, I felt warm hands wrap my waist. He leaned in closer until he was right next to my ear, his breathing causing my ear to turn red.

“Noona, Zico’s sorry if he offended you.” He said his voice low. I could feel my cheeks burning. This was the first time in a very long time that a guy had actually ever talked to me like this, to even come this close to me. *Well I wouldn’t say the first guy, since Jay had done this multiple times*

“Noona accepts your apologize” I said, turning around to face him.

“Cool” He said, removing his hands.

“Are you ready to go back or do you want to stay for a little while?” He asked, standing there. He shoved his hands deep inside the pocket of his jeans and just stood there rocking on the heels of his shoes.

“I’m ready to go” I said. I wonder where he was this morning.

I walked back to his bedroom to get my purse and shoes. I wore my shoes and got out to the living room in time to see Zico shuffling.

“That’s cool, where did you learn that?” I asked, he stopped what he was doing and looked up, smiling.

“I learned it from a friend” He said, grabbing his car keys off the coffee table.

“Well, you’re very good” I complimented him. He opened the door for me to get out and closed the door behind him. We walked to the elevator in silence. We boarded the elevator as soon as it opened.

“Dancing isn’t my thing, but rapping is” He said, looking straight ahead.

“Really?” I asked. This was a new discovery.

“Yep” He replied.

“I can rap for you sometime if you’re not busy” he said.

“I’m never busy whenever I come to Korea” I said.

“Cool, then I’ll hit you up sometime and rap for you a few of my songs” He said

“Ok” I said, smiling. Zico was so kind in rapping for me. I can’t wait.

We stood there once again in silence until the elevator arrived on the first floor. We got out and made our journey towards his car. As we were going, I caught a few of the residence people staring at us. This must really be a culture shock for them to see a non-Asian person. I ignored their stares until we reached his car. He unlocked the car and we got in. he started the car and pulled out of the parking lot.

“Where were you this morning?” I asked. I drummed my fingers against the dash board.

“I gave a co-worker a ride to work” He said, looking at me.

“Oh does she live far?”

“Yeah kind of, she lives on the North side of the Han River”

“OH! Ok”

“She?!?” I asked.

“Yeah, she’s one of the pastry workers at the café” He said, biting the bottom of his lip.

“I can introduce you if you want” He said.

“Sure, I’ll be glad to meet her” I said. I am always opened to meeting new people.

We were quiet the whole way to the house. He pulled up in front of the building.

“You want me to come up with you? Just to make sure that you were staying over at my place” He asked.

“No, I’m fine” I answered, unbuckling my seatbelt. I turned to face him.

“Zico, thank you for last night and thank you so much for letting me stay at your house” I said.

“Yeah, anytime. You’re always welcome at Zico’s house” He said, smiling. He made his hand into a heart over his head.

I leaned in and gave him a hug. I was truly grateful to have met a person like Zico. I broke away from the hug and smiled at him.

“Bye Zico” I said, opening the car door.

“Bye, Zhara” He said as I got out, closed the door. I stood there as he pulled away, disappearing. I made my way up the building by using the elevator. I opened the door and went in.

“Zhara, you’re finally here” I heard Hyori yell before I saw her. She came out of the living room and hugged me, almost knocking me down.

“Yeah, I’m here” I announced nonchalantly. She pulled away, looking at me. She inspected me from head to toe before dragging me to the living room. I stopped right in my tracks when I saw Jay sitting there on the couch.

“The queen is here” Hyori said which caused Eddie and Jay to look our way.  I tried to stare ahead but Jay’s eyes caught mine. I quickly bowed and said hello before making a run for my bedroom. I locked the door and stood against the door for what seemed like forever. What was he doing here?

I decided that it wasn’t that important and decided to change. As I was taking off my jewelry after taking off my dress, I heard a knock on my door.

“Who is it?”

“It’s me” Hyori answered. I put the jewelry back in its’ case and opened the door. I let her in and closed the door.

“I know I should have called and told you ahead of time” She said, standing there.

“Yeah you should have but you didn’t” I said.

“Whatever I don’t care anymore. You guys can have him over here all you want as long as I don’t get to see his face, I’m fine with it. I’m still trying to get over him” I said, finally getting it off my chest. It felt good to say that.

“He broke up with Seo Young” she said. I was shocked but I didn’t want to show any reaction to it.

“And it’s my business because……” I asked

“He still wants to get back together with you. Zhara, I’ll put it in food terminology. Jay finally realized that Strawberries with white chocolate isn’t all that sweet and he now knows that the person for him is Strawberries with milk chocolate.”

I blurted out laughing. Her way of explaining everything was quite amusing and kind of cute.

“Ok” I said, opening the door

“Ok then” She said, following behind. I went in the living room. Hyori appeared behind me and went and took the last remaining spot next to Eddie. I was yet again stuck with Jay. I took the seat next to him, trying to put enough space between us as much as possible.

“Welcome back, Zhara” Eddie said

“Thank you”

“So let’s get back to what we were talking about” Jay interrupted.

“Yeah, So you’re going to talk to your mother when?” Eddie questioned, sitting up a little bit.

“I don’t know yet. Maybe tomorrow” He answered, looking at the coffee table. This felt awkward. What were they even talking about?

I snuck a peek at him. He looked overworked about something.

“What are you guys talking about?” I asked, wanting to know.

“Nothing that concerns you” Eddie replied. Okay then.

“Well I know my mother won’t allow it, but I have to figure out a way” Jay continued talking.

“I suggest you talking to her first” I said, voicing out my opinion.

 I have met Jay’s mother before and if there are any words to describe her I would pick cold and stone-faced. If she doesn’t like you, she’ll tell you right away.

“She’s not that easy to deal with, not like my father. He’s at least a bit understanding” he said

“At least try” I said.

“Ok, I’ll try” He said, smiling at me. I didn’t want to return his smile so I just glared at him.

“Well, I’ll be on my way” He said, getting up. We all stood up with him. Hyori and Eddie escorted him to the door while I was left standing in the middle of the living room. They exchanged some words before he left.

“What was he talking about?” I asked

“Oh nothing” Eddie said.

“O…K…”

“Besides, you’ll soon find out” Hyori said, smiling.