Party Pre-game

Path to Your Dreams

Saturday Afternoon, Winter Break

The boys apartment.

Back at the apartment, Changsub, Hyunsik, and Minhyuk were doing a bit of last minute cleaning. In Changsub's case however, cleaning simply meant moving his mess from one room to another.

"It's fine." He argued when Minhyuk tried to scold him for his lazy cleaning. "The girls aren't going to see the stuff on my bed anyways."

To which Hyunsik had asked "Not even your girlfriend?"

The question made Changsub turn red in the ears as he reluctantly set about putting away his things properly. He hadn't yet told Hyunsik that Chorong had already spent the night.

Soon enough Eunkwang returned from the supermarket with Bomi and Chorong, and Changsub immediately abandoned his cleaning to help with the girls with the food.

"It's a good thing Minah turned down Minhyuk's invite today." Changsub thought, looking penitently at Chorong from across the counter.

He could tell something was going on with her these days. At first he'd assumed it was just because of what happened earlier that week with the video on Minhyuk's story, but after thinking about it he couldn't help but feel there was something else. Perhaps she'd had some kind of family issue at home over the holidays?

"She sounded pretty normal over text and video chat though…"

It wasn't right. They were supposed to be past the point of keeping problems to themselves. But then again it was easy to forget that they hadn't actually been together very long.

Chorong looked up from the bowl of popcorn she was pouring.

"Changsub-ah, where did you guys put the clips?" She asked, looking around the counter.

"Uhh I think there might be some in the drawer." Changsub answered.

As Chorong turned around to get the clips, Bomi sneaked a handful of popcorn from the bowl.

"So oppa." Said Bomi to Changsub, crunching loudly on the popcorn. "How was your break?"

"Nothing special." Changsub answered simply.

He wondered how much Bomi actually knew about the night before Christmas Eve and the convenience store and everything else in between. There were probably other things too that Chorong might've told Bomi that she hadn't told him. Which was fine. He understood. Girls were like that sometimes. Still, he wondered.

Chorong, having finished clipping the popcorn, turned back around from the drawer and placed the bag at the end of the counter with the other snack bags.

"Who's ordering the pizza?" She asked the room at large. 

"I got it." Hyunsik called from the living room as he pulled out his phone to put in the order.

Changsub absently reached towards the popcorn bowl and popped a few pieces into his mouth while Chorong went back to preparing the rest of the chips and things. It was almost as if she was intentionally trying to act normal by keeping busy with the party prep.

After a few minutes Bomi's phone buzzed.

"Eunji's here with the gang." She announced. "I'll go get them downstairs."

Chorong looked after Bomi as she headed towards the door.

"Bbom-ah can you remind Namjoo again to mind when she gets here?" She requested with a meaningful look.

"I can try unnie." Bomi laughed. "But you know that's like asking me not to eat food."

"Bbom-ah…"

"Yes yes I got it." Bomi replied quickly before disappearing out the door.

Chorong sighed and returned her attention back to the kitchen counter.

"Did Namjoo do something again?" Changsub asked.

"Oh you know her." Chorong said vaguely. "She's always saying things."

Her face however seemed to say something else.

With the other guys in the room Changsub didn't want to try digging too deep into whatever it was that was bothering her so instead he just reached across the counter and put his hand on top of hers.

"Relax." Changsub told her silently with a gentle squeeze of her hand.

Chorong looked up at him then back down at their hands. Her smile was subtle but it was there, it was real, and it put Changsub's heart at ease. At least for the moment.

Bomi soon returned with Eunji, Naeun, Namjoo, and Hayoung.

Namjoo stopped in her tracks when she saw Minhyuk.

"Oh my god." She gushed. "I can't believe it. We're having a party with Lee Minhyuk…THE LEE MINHYUK!"

Minhyuk looked somewhat embarrassed as he acknowledged the girls from the other end of the room.

"Just oppa is fine…" He said.

"Oppa?? Wah did you hear that unnie? He said we can call him oppa!" Namjoo grabbed Naeun's arm excitedly as she said this.

Then before Naeun had time to do anything other than blush, Namjoo was pulling her towards Minhyuk.

"Oppa. I'm Kim Namjoo and this is Son Naeun. We're your biggest fans on campus." She said eagerly.

Naeun could only smile apologetically at Minhyuk while she tried to signal to Namjoo that she didn't want to be invading Minhyuk's personal space after only just meeting him.

Minhyuk thankfully appeared to be experienced with this type of reaction from girls. He smiled politely and offered his hand for Namjoo to shake.

"Thanks for the uh…support." He said as Namjoo vigorously shook his hand. "And you too." He said to Naeun with a friendly smile.

While all this was happening, Eunji was already cracking open a beer to chat with Bomi, Chorong and Changsub, and Hayoung began helping Eunkwang with the Switch controllers for the party games.

"Aigoo…I swear my little Minki gets taller and taller every time I go back to see him." Eunji sighed. "He'll be taller than me soon."

"Who's Minki?" Changsub asked.

Bomi snickered.

"Eunji's child."

"Pretty much." Chorong added.

Eunji took out her phone to show Changsub a picture.

"That's my brother Minki." She grinned happily. "Isn't he adorable?"

Changsub gave a noncommittal response while Bomi sighed and shook her head.

"Must be nice to have a sweet brother." Bomi scowled. "Jongjin is a complete pain the whenever I'm home."

"You're not exactly very nice to him though." Chorong commented.

"Well I can't help it if he's a brat." Bomi retorted.

Eunji laughed and pocketed her phone.

"I guess I just got lucky in the sibling department." She said, taking another drink from her beer. "That reminds me."

She turned to Chorong.

"How are things back in Cheongju?"

"Eomma and appa are doing fine." Chorong replied. "Seunghee is the same but Eunjung unnie…she's been going through some stuff at work."

"Oh. That …sorry to hear that." Said Eunji.

Chorong shook her head to indicate that it wasn't a big deal, but it looked to Changsub like she was trying to brush it off. Luckily for Chorong, Eunji pushed no further and instead directed her next question to Changsub.

"What about you oppa? Do you have any siblings?" She asked.

Changsub felt a bit weird being suddenly put on the spot to share about his family in this group setting.

"Just my sister." He answered.

"Older or younger?"

"1 year younger."

"Ooh cool so she's about our age then. Does she also live in town?"

Changsub nodded.

"She's still living with my mom."

"Oh. Why didn't you invite her then?" Bomi asked.

Changsub glanced towards Eunkwang who was over by the TV.

"We're close but not THAT close. She goes to Sungkyunkwan so she has different friends and…" He paused.

"And what?" Bomi prompted.

"…She has a massive crush on Eunkwangie hyung."

Eunji suddenly burst out laughing.

"Seriously? Hahaha can you believe that Bbom-ah? Looks like your man is hot demand."

Bomi surprisingly joined in with Eunji's laughter.

"Ahaha that poor girl. I'm sure she'd change her mind if she actually knew how much of a handful he is to take care of. Gosh he couldn't even keep his pants closed in front of my parents. Isn't right oppa?" She yelled the last part at Eunkwang who looked up from his Switch console and blinked.

"Huh?" Said Eunkwang with an oblivious look of confusion.

Bomi and Eunji broke into fits of giggles while Chorong stole a gulp from Eunji's beer and Changsub's face contorted in an effort not to laugh. Even though Eunkwang had begged Bomi not to spread the story about his fly incident it had been just too funny for Bomi not to share it in the group chat after Christmas. So naturally, everybody knew.

After some more light hearted chatter, the pizzas arrived and soon the party was in full swing with drinks, music, and video games.

The Super Smash Bros game which had been set up by Eunkwang and Hayoung created quite a ruckus. Minhyuk as it turned out was not as terrible at video games as he was at guitar, much to Changsub's grudging surprise. He managed to keep up quite well with Eunkwang, Changsub, and Bomi even with Namjoo sidling up to his shoulder on the couch. As the games continued and everyone took turns to play, it became painfully clear that Hayoung was a full head and shoulders above the rest and the gameplay eventually devolved into an all out war with 1 v 5 team battles against Hayoung.

About halfway through the fifth game, there was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it." Eunji said, scrambling up from the floor next to the couch.

She opened the door to find Peniel who was standing outside holding a liter of soda in each hand.

"Eunkwang oppa! Your friend is here!" Eunji yelled, turning back towards the living room.

"Oh!" Eunkwang shoved his controller at Hyunsik then leapt to his feet and rushed to the door.

"Hey Peniel! So welcome man!" Said Eunkwang in somewhat questionable English as he ushered Peniel inside.

"Sorry I'm late. I was actually at another party earlier." Peniel explained as he took off his shoes and handed the soda bottles to Eunkwang.

"Damn…party boy huh?" Eunji said.

Peniel chuckled and rubbed his head.

"Oh I don't really drink, but people always ask me to come over and I can't say no. So here I am."

Eunkwang came over with a paper plate for Peniel and pulled him over to the kitchen.

"We have pizza, and chips and anything else in the fridge is free game except my eomma's kimchi."

As Peniel nodded his thanks and began to help himself to some snacks, Changsub looked over from where he stood watching the game from behind the couch. He nudged Chorong next to him.

"Didn't you say Sungjae was coming?" He asked in a low voice.

Chorong checked her phone.

"He should be here soon."

"Rong I know you were trying to be inclusive but I really don't think this is a good idea for Sungjae-"

"Well we can't do anything about it now can we?" Chorong whispered back. "I didn't know Eunkwang oppa already invited Peniel until after I told Sungjae to come."

Seeing that Changsub was slightly taken aback by the tone of her reply, Chorong sighed.

"Sorry." She muttered. "It's just frustrating because I thought I was doing something nice for him but I didn't really think it all through and I don't want him to end up having bad time here..."

Changsub wrapped an arm around Chorong's shoulder in a comforting manner, but she fell silent as Peniel approached them with his food.

"How's it going." Peniel greeted casually. 

He paused for a moment and pointed at Changsub's face as if he was trying to recall something.

"Changsub was it?"

Changsub nodded.

"And…" Peniel turned to Chorong.

"My girlfriend Chorong." Changsub answered quickly.

"Ah got it." Peniel said with a cool grin. "Yeah I was pretty sure I've seen you two together but I didn't want to assume-"

Suddenly the conversation was interrupted by a collective groan from the players and spectators in front of the TV. Hayoung had one again landed a spectacular K.O. on Hyunsik, ending the battle with yet another solo win.

"Woah." Said Peniel, turning his eyes to the battle stats on the screen and looking impressed. "That is one massively OP Pikachu."

Bomi stood up on the couch, brandishing her controller threateningly at the smug looking Hayoung.

"This isn't fair!" Bomi raged. "You can't keep beating us all like that! You need another handicap!"

Hayoung shrugged with an evil grin.

"I'm sorry I'm already doing 1 v 5 how much more slack do you want me to give you guys?" She taunted.

Bomi rounded on Eunkwang for help.

"Oppa what's the most broken character in the game?" She demanded.

Eunkwang furrowed his brow as he scrolled through the character selection screen.

"Hmm let me think let me think…" He muttered.

"Ganondorf?" Suggested Minhyuk.

"Ooh yes or maybe Little Mac." Eunkwang agreed.

Bomi upon hearing this snatched up Hayoung's controller.

"Aww unnie why…" Hayoung whined as Bomi locked in the Ganondorf character from the selection screen.

"There." Bomi said, ing the controller back at Hayoung and hunkering back down on the couch next to Eunkwang.

The remaining controllers were passed around to whoever wanted them and eventually the final teams were settled with Hayoung vs Eunkwang, Bomi, Changsub, Eunji, and Minhyuk.

"This is gonna be fun." Said Namjoo, rubbing her hands together in anticipation as the everyone made their picks.

She leaned in a little too close to Minhyuk, batting her eyelashes with an overly innocent sounding "Good luck oppa" to which Minhyuk responded with a half cringing smile.

"Okay! Everyone ready?" Eunkwang asked, looking sideways at the rest of his team.

Bomi nodded with blazing eyes fixed on the screen and the others also gave their ready signals to Eunkwang.

Hayoung rolled her eyes.

"Really guys…" She sighed under her breath as she solidified her grip on the controller.

The final character choices flashed up on the screen. Then a three second countdown, and the battle began.

 

 

 

----------------

A/N

Disclaimer I do not actually play smash bros just got too many gamer friends heh... 

 

In other news PENTAGON JUST GOT THEIR FIRST WIN WITH DAISY I'M SO PROUD OF THEM 

Let's walk on the flower road :)