National Anthem

Path to Your Dreams

Saturday Afternoon, Week 5

The track field.

It was the end of the week and the school was buzzing with excitement for the one of the biggest events of the semester. The track meet.

Chorong, Namjoo, and Naeun were sitting in the bleachers waiting for the event to start.

"Unnie, check the group chat. See if anyone else is coming." Namjoo said.

Chorong quickly checked her phone.

"Hyunsik is on his way, Hayoung is busy streaming, Eunji is writing a paper, Changsub says piss off, Bomi and Eunkwang are out on a date, and Ilhoon hasn't read the chat yet."

"Well Ilhoon oppa doesn't go here anymore so he doesn't count." Namjoo said.

"So it's just us and Hyunsik oppa then?" Naeun asked.

"Looks like it." Chorong nodded.

"Unnie give me your phone." Namjoo said holding out her hand to Chorong.

"Why…?" Chorong asked as she handed it over.

"I'm calling Changsub oppa." Namjoo replied.

She found his contact and dialed.

Changsub answered right away.

"Oh Chorongie what's up?"

"Oppa, this is Namjoo. We're at the track field where the hell are you?"

Changsub sighed on the other end of the line.

"I said I'm not going." He said.

Namjoo rolled her eyes.

"Yah if you don't show up in 10 minutes I'm deleting you from Chorong's phone. Now get your over here ASAP!" She hung up the phone and handed it back to Chorong.

"There. Problem solved." She said looking proud of herself.

"Wow." Chorong gave Namjoo a weird look as she took her phone back and put it in her bag.

A moment later Hyunsik showed up with his guitar case slung over his back.

"Hey did I miss anything?" He asked taking a seat next to the girls.

"Nope it hasn't started yet." Namjoo said.

"Cool." Hyunsik replied.

He opened his bag and pulled out a large packet of gummy bears.

"I brought snacks." He said with a smile.

As the girls helped themselves to the gummies the MC began to make some opening comments.

Chorong looked around the bleachers. Changsub was still nowhere to be found.

"Unnie I don't think he's going to show up." Naeun said.

Namjoo flipped her hair.

"Oh he will. Trust me he knows I have all the tea. I can bury him in all kinds of dirt on the school forums if he doesn’t show."

Hyunsik chuckled.

"Hit me up if you need more. I have some pretty funny pictures of him from middle school too."

"Perfect." Namjoo said. She and Hyunsik high fived.

"Middle school…" Chorong thought to herself curiously. Hyunsik and Changsub must've been friends for a very long time. She wondered what a middle school Changsub would've looked like.

The MC's voice suddenly boomed through the field.

"And now for the national anthem!"

As everyone in the crowd stood up, a familiar figure walked up to the center podium and stood in front of the microphone.

"Oh no look it's Sungjae again…" Chorong said nervously.

"Who?" Hyunsik asked squinting to get a better look.

"Yook Sungjae, the crazy drama kid. Always causing some kind of disaster." Chorong explained.

"Actually he's been doing that since high school too." Namjoo said.

"You know him from high school?" Naeun asked.

"Unfortunately." Namjoo sighed. "He hasn't changed a bit."

Sungjae tapped the mic a few times then cleared his throat and began to sing obnoxiously in classical opera style.

Several university staff and some of the students started murmuring in disapproval. A few booed.

"Jesus what in the name of Pavarotti is going on here?"

Hyunsik and the girls turned around. It was Changsub.

"Well well look who it is." Hyunsik grinned.

"Changsub-ah you showed up." Chorong said smiling.

Changsub scowled, covering his ears.

"Yeah I think I'll just leave right now before my ears start to bleed." Changsub his heel and made to leave.

"Ohhhh no you don't!"

Namjoo got up and grabbed him by the ear then forcefully dragged him to the seat by Chorong.

"Oww!" Changsub protested.

"Oppa you're not going anywhere got it?" Namjoo said going back to her spot.

"Okay okay geez…" Changsub rubbed his sore ear.

Sungjae finished singing and was met with a weird mix of awkward clapping, whispering, and boos. He gave the audience a wide smile and bowed dramatically before being dragged off the podium by a very pissed looking Peniel.

"That kid's gotta be mental…" Changsub said shaking his head as they watched Peniel pull Sungjae to the side to scold him.

They were too far away to hear what Peniel was yelling but he looked absolutely livid. Meanwhile Sungjae seemed to look extremely proud of himself.

"Yep he's still a …" Namjoo stated matter-of-factly.

Naeun reached over and grabbed another handful of gummy bears from Hyunsik's bag. 

"I hope they start the events soon." She said, popping a gummy bear into .

Finally the opening commentaries and pleasantries were finished and the MC's voice filled the stadium again.

"Let the games begin!"

 

----------

 

A/N Living for some sassy Namjoo.

Sungjae…oh Sungjae…my child…please maintain.

P.s. I'll just leave some pre-debut Changsub for you to appreciate.