Public Transit

Path to Your Dreams

Thursday Afternoon, Winter Break

Suwon Station.

About a week had passed since New Years and Changsub was looking forward to seeing everyone return from the holidays, especially a certain girl who would be arriving any minute on the train from Cheongju.

He stood on the platform watching the trains go by until the one he was waiting for finally pulled into the station.

"There she is."

Changsub smiled as he spotted Chorong stepping out from the train, looking as beautiful as ever in her winter clothes.

"Chorongie!" He called.

Chorong looked up and weaved through the other disembarking passengers to where Changsub was standing.

"You really didn't have to come get me." She complained once they were face to face.

"But I missed you." Changsub said affectionately.

He swooped in for a kiss which Chorong allowed despite being in the middle of a busy public space.

"Hungry?" Changsub asked when Chorong finally pulled away.

Chorong nodded.

"A little bit."

"Okay, we can grab something on the way then."

Changsub smiled and offered his hand to Chorong.

A fleeting look of hesitation crossed Chorong's face before she took his hand, but it was gone before Changsub had even noticed.

The pair left the station hand in hand and after a short stop for snacks, they found themselves at the bus stop.

"So you're staying at Bomi's this week?" Changsub asked as he sat down on the bench next to Chorong.

"Yeah just for a few days before we go back to the dorms." Said Chorong absently.

"You could come over to my place again." Changsub offered.

He squeezed her knee as he said this, which earned him a reproachful look from her.

"What. We can do this now can't we?" He said in a lower voice.

"Not here." Chorong scolded.

"Alright alright I won't."

Changsub laughed and withdrew his hand back into his jacket pocket.

He watched Chorong hastily brush her hair behind her ear with a soft smile. Her cheeks carried a rosy tinge from the cold January air which reminded him strongly of the night they'd spent before Christmas Eve.

"What are you looking at?" Chorong asked suspiciously as she caught his eye.

Changsub shook his head without answering and lowered his gaze down to his sneakers. He didn't want to risk getting a full blown punch to the shoulder for admitting that he'd been thinking a little too much about that night.

Soon enough the bus arrived. It was a bit crowded inside but they managed to find seats together near the back. They sat down and rode in silence for most of the way until the bus reached the stop near Bomi's neighborhood.

"Should I walk you there?" Changsub asked as Chorong got up from her seat.

"No it's okay it's not too far."

"Okay, I'll text you later then."

"Mmm."

Chorong turned to leave but when Changsub didn't let go of her hand she looked back.

"Changsub-ah I'm going to miss the stop." 

"I just wanted to say I love you."

"I love you too…"

"Miss! Are you getting off or not!" Yelled the bus driver.

"Yes ahjussi!" Chorong called.

She gave Changsub a small smile then hurried to exit the bus.

Changsub watched her go, feeling briefly tempted to follow her, but the bus was already pulling away from the stop.

"Is anyone sitting here?"

Changsub looked up to see a girl with a guitar case.

"Oh…go ahead." Changsub said quickly.

The girl sat down, hugging her guitar case in an attempt to take up as little space as possible in the crowded bus.

"She looks vaguely familiar…" Changsub thought.

He chanced a glance at the luggage tag attached to her guitar case.

The name read Bang Minah.

"Bang Minah…Bang Minah…where have I heard that name before?"

Changsub wracked his brains, then finally he remembered. She was Minhyuk's guitar tutor.

Minah, having caught Changsub looking, pulled out her earbuds and gave him a weird look.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

Changsub started in embarrassment and hurriedly shook his head.

"Sorry I just…I thought you looked like someone from school." He said quickly.

"Ah…you go to KGU?" Minah asked.

"Yeah. I'm in the Music department." Changsub replied sheepishly. "You?"

"Ecology."

"Oh. Cool."

Truthfully Changsub had never been very interested in the natural sciences and didn't know much about ecology. So instead, he opted for the more familiar topic of music.

"Do you always carry your guitar around on the bus like that?" He asked. "The hard case looks heavy."

"Well, I like to do a little street busking sometimes." Minah explained. "And sometimes I teach lessons for the kids at my old high school."

"That's awesome." Changsub said with interest. "Hey umm, not to be creepy but did you ever give lessons to someone named Lee Minhyuk?"

The words definitely sounded more weird out loud than in his head, and judging by the look on Minah's face, she also seemed to be a little creeped out.

"How do you know about that?" She asked suspiciously.

Feeling a little stupid, Changsub hurried to explain everything about being roommates with Minhyuk and how he'd learned about Minhyuk's secret interest in music.

"Ohh so you guys are teaching him now? Huh. Good luck with that." Minah said when Changsub had finished. "I was wondering why he said he didn't need lessons anymore. I figured he finally gave up like I told him to but I guess he's still stubbornly trying to be good at everything as always."

She sighed with a look of endearing pity.

"Poor thing. He really was trying his best."

They chatted for a little while longer until the bus approached Minah's stop.

"Well, this is me." She said as she got up from her seat with her arms still wrapped around her guitar case. "It was nice talking to you."

"Same to you." Changsub said with a friendly smile.

"I ah…I'm actually busking tonight at the plaza next to the night market if you want to come check it out." Minah offered.

Changsub hesitated. Would it be weird to go without Chorong?

"Nah. She's probably having a good time at Bomi's house. I'll just ask the guys if they want to go."

 

-------

 

A/N  Twist?????????? A little too friendly maybe??? I'm scared of the paths my imagination is taking these days.