[PG13] Industry Secret

Path to Your Dreams

A/N *Rated for strong language and slight violence*  

Buckle up some crazy is about to go down. 

 

-----

Monday Afternoon, Week 7

Digital Music Composition Class.

Changsub squinted at the projector screen trying to follow along on his laptop as the professor demonstrated one of the advanced functions for the music software they were learning.

He much preferred the aural training and music theory classes. This digital composition stuff was more in Hyunsik's wheelhouse.

His phone which was sitting in the side pocket of his backpack lit up with a message.

"Ugh…not now I'm in the middle of class…" 

Changsub ignored his phone.

A few minutes later it lit up again.

He sighed, then discretely leaned down and pulled his phone from his bag.

It was from Chorong.

Chorong: Changsub-ah.

Chorong: I have a problem.

Changsub: I'm in class.

Chorong: It's an emergency.

Changsub: What kind.

Chorong: I passed the audition.

Changsub: Congrats! Did you get the part you wanted?

Chorong: Actually Eunji got the part for Jo but I got cast as Amy.

Changsub: Are you upset? Do you need to cry?

Chorong: No no I'm happy I got casted at all but there's a huge problem, you won't believe this.

Changsub: Spit it out.

Chorong: Sungjae got cast as Laurie.

Changsub: @#$%& That moron??

Chorong: He wants to practice lines today in the library.

Changsub: What time?

Chorong: Like now…

Changsub: Hold on I'll be out of class in 10 minutes. Text me if he does anything stupid.

Changsub closed his lockscreen and tried to turn his attention back to his work, but he couldn't focus. He knew Chorong could definitely beat up Sungjae herself if she needed to but the thought of them practicing lines together was still unsettling.

"That idiot better not try anything I swear to god I'll wipe that dumb smile off his pretty boy face." 

When the class finally came to an end Changsub crammed his things in his bag as fast as he could and ran out the door.

"Dude where are you going?"

He heard Hyunsik call after him but he didn't turn back and kept running.

Inside the library, Sungjae was pulling a reluctant Chorong down one of the rows of bookcases to a quiet corner away from the other students.

"I can walk myself you know." She said, annoyed.

Sungjae let go of her hand and looked around to make sure no one else was around.

"Sorry noona." He said looking back at her apologetically.

"It's sunbae to you." Chorong said.

Sungjae hesitated then looked down at his feet.

"Sorry… sunbae." He said meekly.

Chorong was taken aback at this departure from the troublemaker personality she'd been expecting. She almost felt sorry for snapping at him.

She sighed and pulled her script from her bag.

"Where's yours?" She asked Sungjae.

"Oh." Sungjae hurriedly opened his bag and pulled out his script.

"Where should we start?" He asked.

"You're the one who wanted to practice." Chorong replied.

"Ah…right." Sungjae scratched his head sheepishly and thought for a moment before speaking again.

"Can we try one of the Paris scenes?"

Chorong nodded and flipped through her script to the right page.

Surprisingly, Sungjae seemed genuinely serious about rehearsing the scene. Chorong felt a little bit more at ease. Maybe this wouldn't be so weird.

Meanwhile, Changsub was jogging across the campus towards the library.

He checked his phone. There weren't any new messages from Chorong.

Was that a good thing? He wasn't sure. That Sungjae kid was too unpredictable. There was no telling what kind of crazy he might try to do but surely Chorong would've called him by now if she was in trouble?

He kept running until he reached the library.

"Where are they…" He thought as he walked around looking down the rows of bookcases.

Finally he heard Chorong's voice and followed it.

He rounded the corner of one of the bookshelves and was met with a scene that made his blood boil.

"DON'T TOUCH MY FRIEND YOU ING BASTARD!"

Changsub launched himself at Sungjae knocking him to the floor.

"What-" Sungjae tried to speak but was cut off as Changsub landed a punch to his face.

"HOW DARE YOU KISS HER!?" Changsub raged, raising his fist again.

"Changsub-ah! Stop it!" Chorong grabbed Changsub's jacket trying to pull him off Sungjae.

"YOU GOOD FOR NOTHING PIECE OF !"

"Changsub-ah please! It's not what you think!" 

Changsub seemed too blinded with anger to hear her.

Chorong had no choice. Her hapkido skills kicked into action as she caught Changsub's arm in midair and pinned it forcefully to his back.

"Changsub-ah…calm down…please…" Chorong said with a strained voice.

Changsub was still panting heavily but he closed his eyes and took a shaky breath before letting his arm go limp.

Chorong released his arm and gently pulled him back away from Sungjae who was cowering on the floor with a petrified look on his face. His lip was split and it had started to bleed.

There was a tense silence for a bit until Chorong spoke.

"Are you okay?" She asked Sungjae.

Sungjae nodded hesitantly. He still looked a bit shaken.

Chorong gave him a hand and helped him to his feet.

"Go get yourself cleaned up we'll practice again another day." She said.

Sungjae gingerly picked up his bag then bowed quickly to Chorong and trudged out of the library.

Once Sungjae was gone Chorong turned around with a sigh.

She looked down at Changsub who was still on the floor looking disheveled.

"Changsub-ah…"

He avoided her eyes.

"You shouldn't have lost control like that." Chorong said quietly.

Changsub said nothing.

Chorong sat down next to him. She hesitated for a second then pulled him into a hug. Changsub tensed at first but eventually he relaxed. Chorong said nothing but waited until Changsub was ready to talk.

"He kissed you." Changsub finally said in a weak voice.

Chorong shook her head with a small laugh.

"I was just showing him how to do a stage kiss Changsub-ah."

"The is a stage kiss?"

Chorong smiled.

"This idiot."

She let go of Changsub and pulled back a bit to face him.

"A stage kiss…you know? The kind where you use your thumb to block it?"

She put her thumb to her lips to demonstrate.

"Industry secret." She finished.

Changsub stared blankly for a second trying to compute this information.

"So he didn't….?" He began.

Chorong shook her head.

"But it looked like…"

Chorong cracked up a bit at Changsub's confused expression.

"That's the whole point Changsub-ah, it's supposed to be convincing from the right angle."

Changsub suddenly felt incredibly stupid. His face burned as he broke eye contact and looked down at the floor.

Chorong patted his shoulder with a warm smile.

"It's okay, you didn't know."

Changsub sighed heavily and put his head in his hands.

"I'm so stupid…I was so convinced that dimwit Sungjae was going to do something I just lost it when I saw him with you…"

Changsub trailed off awkwardly.

"I wanted it to be me."

He was caught of guard by his own thoughts. Woah where did that even come from? Since when did he have those feelings…

Chorong's voice suddenly brought him back to reality.

"He's not actually a dimwit you know." She said.

"What?" Changsub asked looking up in confusion.

"Sungjae, he's not crazy in private like he is outside on campus." Chorong said. "He actually takes his acting practice very seriously."

"Really…?" Changsub asked.

Chorong nodded.

"Oh…" Changsub found himself beginning to feel guilty for punching Sungjae.

"You should go tell him your sorry."

Changsub didn't answer but he knew Chorong was right.

"When you're ready." She said patting him on the shoulder.

Changsub nodded.

He still felt like a complete idiot but he wasn't angry anymore. It was amazing really how Chorong always seemed to know exactly what to say to make him feel better.

"We should get out of here." Chorong finally said.

"Yeah."

Chorong stood up first and offered her hand to him with a smile. Changsub took her hand and let her pull him up to his feet.

"Let's go." Chorong said, not letting go of his hand.

Changsub smiled back at her and nodded.

Perhaps he didn't fully realize it yet but somewhere deep in his subconscious he was starting to fall for her.

 

------

 

A/N  Well that was a rocky start for Changjae…seems like there might be a bit more to Sungjae's personality than being the campus clown. 

Chorong is a badass fairy I love her.

Changsub is so stupid here lol...

I'm crying over this scene.