Family Misfortune

Path to Your Dreams

Tuesday Evening, Winter Break

Eunkwang's house.

Dinner had gone surprisingly well for Eunkwang despite his many worries about making a fool of himself at the table.

No ice had been spilled, no napkins set on fire, and no plates were shattered. He'd even managed to open the sparkling wine bottles without spraying the contents all over the room.

"Something isn't right here…my luck is never this kind." He thought as he watched Bomi conversing animatedly with his mother about his embarrassing childhood stories.

"…Omo…did oppa really cry on the Ferris wheel? HAHAHA that's amazing!" Bomi exclaimed.

She turned to Eunkwang and nudged his shoulder.

"Oppa let's go ride one some time." She said.

"Ah…haha yeah…of course." Eunkwang laughed awkwardly.

A round of chuckles went around the table and Eunkwang felt his hands go sweaty again for what must've been the tenth time that night. He still had a fear of heights and Bomi definitely knew it, but he couldn't afford to show his weakness with her parents there at the table.

The night went on with more stories and casual talk, some light hearted karaoke and an impromptu piano recital, which Eunkwang had not been given warning for, but managed to pull off somehow despite his trembling fingers.

Eventually to Eunkwang's relief, it came time for Bomi and her family to return home.

As everyone said their thank you's, compliments, and Merry Christmases, Eunkwang managed to steal Bomi aside for a quick moment in the hallway.

Once they were out of view from their families, Eunkwang sagged slightly against the wall with a long drawn out groan.

"Wahh seriously I can't believe I didn't goof up today." He said in a stressed whisper.

"I'm actually disappointed." Bomi snickered mockingly.

"Ah wae…Bomi-ya…why do you like watching me suffer so much? " Eunkwang whined.

He stuck out his lower lip in an attempt to garner some sympathy from his teasing girlfriend, but Bomi just laughed.

"Oh you're too funny when you're nervous oppa." She said with a rather hard pat on his prominent cheek.

"It's not funny to me though." Eunkwang muttered. "I'm really trying hard over here…"

Bomi's grin softened.

"I know you are." She said fondly.

She stood on her tip toes and stole a quick peck on his pouting lips.

"Yah…what if they see us?" Eunkwang whispered with an anxious glance down the hallway.

Bomi flashed him a flirty look.

"So what." She said before pulling him down by his shirt for another kiss.

Eunkwang panicked.

"Wait Bomi-ya not here! Our parents Mm-"

The wind left him as Bomi backed him up against the wall with a playful shove.

*Thump*

" that was too loud." Eunkwang thought frantically.

Under normal circumstances it would've been fun to let Bomi push him around like this but with everyone else just a few meters away in the living room it was much too risky to let her continue.

He broke the kiss with a spluttering gasp and spent a few seconds heaving to calm his racing pulse while Bomi stifled a giggle.

"You. Are. Insane." Eunkwang whispered through tight lips.

Bomi, who seemed to be having way too much fun with the whole situation, winked as she smoothed the wrinkles from his shirt.

"Chill out oppa. What's there to be embarrassed about? We're the whole reason why our families are trying to get closer anyways right? They can't complain if we sneak a kiss or two back here." She said slyly.

Eunkwang looked at Bomi for a second while he tried to rationalize his thoughts. 

He wasn't scared of her parents per se, but their presence always made him feel pressured to appear reliable and coolheaded, which he never seemed to be able to do.

"Why am I always such a wreck with them…?" He thought pitifully.

After all the awkwardness he'd endured with his past accidents he didn't think he'd have the stomach to face his or Bomi's parents if he was seen in this compromising position with his back literally up against the wall. 

"Bomi-ya…I just want to look like a decent boyfriend so they won't think I'm a loser." He whimpered.

Bomi sighed and patted the front of his shirt.

"Oppa, everyone knows you're a pushover so there's no use stressing about it and trying to convince eomma and appa that you're not. Believe me, they trust you and they know that even though you might be a coward you're a good person who can make their daughter happy." She said with a gentle smile.

"Bomi-ya…"

Eunkwang looked as if he might burst into tears as Bomi wrapped her arms around his neck for a hug.

Just then a cough came from the end of the hallway.

The two turned their heads to see Bomi's father standing there with a very amused smile.

"Oh appa!" Bomi said brightly.

Eunkwang's face paled.

"A-abeonim…" He stuttered.

He quickly detached himself from Bomi and lowered his head to hide his embarrassment.

Bomi's father looked between the two and chuckled.

"Do you need a few more minutes before I go warm up the car?" He asked.

Eunkwang shook his head vigorously while Bomi laughed.

"It's okay appa I'll be out in a bit." She said.

Her father nodded.

"Okay, don't be too long. And Eunkwang-ah it was good to see you, please do thank your mother again for all the wonderful food." He said genially.

He turned to leave then stopped.

"Oh and by the way Eunkwang-ah…" He said, turning around.

"Y-yes…?"

Eunkwang gulped.

Bomi's father chuckled and whispered loudly behind his hand.

"You might want to zip up your fly next time we come over."

Eunkwang looked down at his pants and found to his horror that it had indeed been ped the entire night.

"Oh my GOD!" Bomi howled with laughter as Eunkwang began spluttering apologies and bowing profusely while he struggled to fix his zipper.

"Ahhh I'm so sorry abeonim please forgive me I wasn't trying to look sloppy oh my gosh I can't believe I didn't notice I…Yah! Why are you laughing Bomi-ya? Did you know the whole time and didn't tell me on purpose??" 

Eunkwang looked imploringly at Bomi but she was too lost in her gales of laughter to answer.

"Aish I'm done for…"

He covered his face with his hands and crouched down into a ball on the floor as Bomi collapsed on top of him, slapping his back as she cackled away.

Bomi's father gave a sort of snort disguised as a cough and cleared his throat.

"Don't worry about it son. I've had my fair share of incidents like yours." He said.

"Son…?"

Eunkwang peeked through his fingers at Bomi's father with a mixed feeling of hope, confusion and shame. Had he only meant to use that word casually or was he implying…?

The older man's eyes crinkled into a good-natured smile.

"I'll be outside." He said to Bomi before nodding goodbye to Eunkwang and stepping back into the living room.

Bomi managed to wave with one hand while she covered with the other to hold her laughter. Once the coast was clear however she burst into a fresh fit of giggles.

"Ahaha that was too good hahaha!" She wheezed.

Eunkwang's shoulders began shaking. Was he laughing or crying? He didn't know but he was definitely feeling overwhelmed.

"Oh shut up you're making it worse." He croaked.

Bomi rubbed his shoulder consolingly as she tried to reign in her glee at his hilarious misfortune.

"I think appa is starting to have fun messing with you." She teased.

Eunkwang simply whimpered in response, but he did feel somewhat comforted by the thought that things couldn't possibly get much worse than having Bomi's father point out his zipper was undone.

If he could live through this, he thought, then spending more time with Bomi's family in the future should be a piece of cake.

 

 

------------

 

A/N  Please protect Eunkwang lmao poor baby 

I love Bomi's dad tho hehe...