About misunderstandings

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

It was a morning as any other, well, that if you ignore Yeri waddling and hissing around, but Minatozaki Sana, our friendly hippie, our social butterfly whom just about everybody loves, arrives at school to find a letter in his shoe locker. It’s pink, smells great and was neatly placed atop his inside shoes. Not something he never had happen to him, but unexpected nonetheless, and this letter was suspicious, to say the least.

 

This thing was too thin and only contained a short note:

 

Minatozaki,

 

Meet me after school at 3 pm.

By the swings on the park in front of the school.

 

I’ll be waiting.

 

And that was it, no extensive love confession, no long paragraphs about how he was charming and mysterious (not in the least) just a time and place along with a demand for him to meet this person after classes. 

 

“Got another love letter?” Chaeyoung asks from behind him.

 

“Well, looks like it. But I thought people in our school had stopped that already.”

 

“Looks like they haven’t.” The small boy feels a little threatened. “I guess I should make my move already, then.”

 

“Maybe you should.” Sana laughs. “But I wouldn’t really worry, you know I’m not about to begin courting another person if we are doing this.”

 

“I know, and I’d love it if I could take you on a date tomorrow, though.”

 

“Tomorrow is a school day?”

 

“Ice cream date.” Chaeyoung dictates. “I’ll take you somewhere great and you will have the best ice cream of your life.”

 

“Oh, mr Son, I’d love to.”

 

Both boys chuckle and head to class. Ever since the fishing adventure Chaeyoung has been making the effort to get closer to Sana, the japanese boy was always very friendly and receptive, the little cub was the one always hesitant about approaching him. But the moment they were back from their fishing trip, Chaeyoung had gathered his courage and asked Sana for lunch, and they went from there. Now they are courting each other, a little outdated, but Chaeyoung wanted to and Sana found it too cute to say no.

 

The thing is, Sana was very sought after, he had many more confessions early on, not that people have already gotten used to him being around and not really about to mingle, he doesn’t really get that many confessions anymore. That and the meanest girls around adopted him and not many were foolish enough to try and mess with their baby. Son Chaeyoung, however, was known to be the most innocent and kind heart among the first years, he had some complexes but was harmless.

 

According to Minnie, the one who makes it a point to know everything, was the one who took the time to get to know Chaeyoung and got to understand the boy was a little doubtful of himself and felt like he was failing just because he couldn’t live up to the expectations put on him back in middle school. It was a little pitiful, to be honest, the boy had an older brother who was an overachiever and had gotten really good looking really fast, and, despite the younger one not slacking on his academics, Chaeyoung didn’t really look like much at the moment.

 

Sana’s girls decided to allow his suitor to join their group and learned that, behind the horrible sense of humor, Son Chaeyoung was a nice boy trying to get a date but having absolutely no real courage to go for it. It was Elkie who pushed the short one to make a move and ask Sana out on their first date, honestly it was getting frustrating to all of them, except Sana himself who looked like he was about to squeal at any time Chaeyoung would get embarrassed about anything.

 

Classes couldn’t go faster for Minatozaki, and slower for Chaeyoung, one was intrigued about the sender, the other felt uneasy and very insecure about himself. By the end of classes, Sana just hugged Chaeyoung goodbye and told him he’d call later and to not wait around. Heading to the meeting place, there was a person clearly waiting for someone, the surprise was that this person was a guy from another school. 

 

The whole letter screamed girly, with the pink paper, the perfume, the ‘o’s as hearts, and now Sana was face to face with this huge dude, obviously foregin, burly and with an uneven stubble and creased uniform. This guy was from their neighboring school, it was a few blocks away and they shared the same subway station, how he found Sana was a mystery, and how the letter actually got delivered felt a little creepy. Our friendly neighborhood hippie decided right then he was not about this life and should cut this down right away.

 

“Minatozaki.” The burly boy greeted stiffly.

 

“Look, I got your letter and I’d like to tell you I can’t do this. I’m not the person you are looking for.” Sana fires rapidly. “I understand that you might be a little confused at the moment, but we don’t even know each other. I’m sorry, but we can’t do this. I hope you do find the person you are looking for and be happy.”

 

With that, Sana shoves the letter in the guy’s hands and rushes away as fast as he could. The other boy was left incredibly confused without even getting the chance to say anything. Sure, he wasn’t mistaken about Minatozaki Sana, that name and face were very famous back home and he wasn’t mistaken when he paid that other dude to slip his letter to Minatozaki. What just happened here, would remain a mystery for him.

 

The next morning, Jihyo had decided to walk to school with Sana, the two friends had been thinking about their new song and the shorter one had been struck with inspiration the previous night, being taken by the urgency to discuss it with his partner as soon as possible. They were talking animatedly when the baby owl remembered something.

 

“Sacchan!” Jihyo exclaims and gets a hmm in acknowledgement. “How did the fight go?”

 

“Fight? What fight?” Sana is honestly confused to the core.

 

“You got a challenge letter yesterday, didn’t you? Minnie said she heard from Sron who got it out of the guy that got paid to deliver the letter.”

 

“No? I got a love letter.” The japanese is digging deep to remember any challenges he might have had. “I got there and there was a boy from the neighboring school waiting. But I’m with Chae.”

 

“Oh, you two finally made it official?” Jihyo is happy and excited for his friend.

 

“Not yet, but that’s just because Chae needs to work through some issues. Also not the point! I never got any challenge letters.”

 

Jihyo decides to end this with a shrug and goes back to the music discussion, Sana forgets about said challenge fast enough. On an eerie alley, halfway between the schools, we have a burly boy raging to another and slapping the love letter at his face.