Kang Seulgi, the lord's peace incarnate

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

Most people say Kang Seulgi is slow, he is a great player and an outstanding athlete, but slow on anything else. To those who knew him on a surface level, that is. Yerim would argue that Seulgi just never wasted energy on things that didn’t interest him, and that was very true, he just never spent more than necessary on anything he didn’t deem important. Seulgi was a great student, his grades always at the top, maybe not like Jihyo or Nayeon or Jeongyeon who were always switching between the top three, but he was never below the top fifteen. 

 

He was also a charitable boy, but his heart went out to those in need, and he’d spend a lot of his free time helping at the homeless shelter, Yerim often got lonely because of that, the younger boy couldn’t volunteer that much because he was one of those who needed to study a lot to keep his grades, so cramming came first, and it was alright, they managed. Seulgi knew it was important to keep their grades up and didn’t mind going over to Yerim’s house and just study the entire time, sometimes Yeri was the one over at his house, but the Kang residence was usually noisy and not that great for studying, Seulgi’s mom was a landscaper, she had retrofitted their garage to make it her workshop and boy, did that woman like power tools.

 

They didn’t really have to worry about neighbors, their house was the last one on the street, which was a no exit street, and they were the ones who closed it off, there was a lot of space between their garage and the neighbor’s house, not to mention mr Choi’s garage was beside their, and that put more distance between the house and the source of noise. Mama Kang did make the walls as soundproof as possible, but there was only so much they could keep in, and her tools were heavy duty, that meant rather loud for most part. Seulgi loved his mother, but the woman did tend to get lost on her crafts more often then not.

 

Papa Kang, in turn, was an excitable kid despite his graying hair, probably where Seulgi got all his energy, the two guys could run a marathon and still be up for a light jog through the entire course right after. The old man looked about a decade younger than he was, mama Kang too, and both were the most patient people you will meet in your life, seriously. They can sit through a five-hour observation of grass growing and say it was exciting, which brings us to Seulgi growing up to be a saint and most likely the only one capable of managing Kim Yerim, the devil’s spawn as he was often known.

 

Right now, for example, we have Seulgi still studying and Yerim and Chaeyoung in an animated competition to see who could jump farther from the bench they were supposed to be sitting and studying at. They had decided to go to the park today, it was a nice and cool sunday, the sun was out but not too warm, there was an eventual breeze to help keep them cool, Seulgi was the one to suggest going out and getting that vitamin D fill. Everything was going well, Yeri had just ran out twice so far, and Seulgi still hadn’t taken out the first aid kit, until Chaeyoung called, that is. 

 

Seulgi loved Chaeyoung, but he had to admit the boy was as dramatic as they come, with a worrying tendency to over-exaggerate every single minor inconvenience. He still remembers having to drag a passed out Chaeyoung to the nurse’s office because of a damn splinter, but he loved the boy regardless. Today Chaeyoung called them a couple hours into their studying session, claiming his world was ending, Yeri told him to come and meet them, but bring his schoolbag because they were definitely studying. Upon arrival, the couple discovered Chaeyoung’s world ending meant he hadn’t caught a glimpse of your friendly neighborhood japanese hippie, Minatozaki Sana.

 

Seulgi knew Sana really well, both being kind and patient in nature, but whilst Sana was extremely shy, Seulgi was very forward. They had spent a lot of time together volunteering around town, and soon became friends, even coordinating where they were volunteering and when so they could go together. The younger boys talked for a while and then started running around, probably Yeri said something that was true but Chaeyoung didn’t need at the moment, and now they are jumping just because. Seulgi will patch them up every now and then, cuts and scratches were normal with this duo, but continued studying like a hurricane wasn’t raging around him, well two hurricanes.

 

“Mom told us to get back home for lunch.” Seulgi tells the younger boys, putting his phone away. “You too, Chaeng.”

 

“Oh, it’s this late already?” Chaeyoung asks, wiggling out from beneath Yeri. They were fighting now.

 

“Yes, and we are going back to have lunch. Come on, mom said lunch is almost ready.”

 

Then Seulgi proceeds to untangle the troublemakers and check if they are hurt, not seeing anything too wrong, he just pats both clean and proceeds to gather their things. Yeri and Chaeyoung are still jumping around and not helping at all. Our bear slings their bags over his shoulder, grabs both the kids’ hands and heads back home, if he wasn’t holding those two close to him, they would have ran into traffic already. Just another day in his life with his cute and energetic boyfriend.

 

“I can call Sana and ask if he wants to come over, you know.” Seulgi offers, as they are waiting to cross the street.

 

“It’s alright, Seul. I’m just venting, it’s not like we are like friends friends yet.” Chaeyoung says sincerely. “It’s just, you know when you found the right one and wants everything to just happen right away?”

 

“I know exactly what you are talking about.” The taller boy smiles warmly, glancing at Yerim, who was now freed and playing on the sidewalk of Seulgi’s street. “Bot don’t hesitate to make your move, though. Sana may seem bright and unbothered, but he never thinks anybody would have romantic feelings for him, so he never thinks people are doing anything but giving back his kindness.”

 

“That’s good to know.” The cub ponders. “I’ll try and steer things that way. For now, thank you for listening to me complain.”

 

“Anytime, Chaengie.”

 

Seulgi chuckles and they finish their walk in comfortable silence, Chaeyoung ends up staying the afternoon, himself and Yeri still having to work on their school load, Seulgi sits with them and helps both boys finish it all, despite Chaeyoung getting distracted with his doodles and Yeri with trying to make music with his pen and a piece of plastic. Once they do finish, though, Chaeyoung promises to bring lunch for Seulgi the following monday and leaves him with a tight hug and a very wet kiss to his cheek, which Seulgi wasn’t really a fan of, but accepted happily anyways.