Meet the Sons

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

That our resident cub has some issues is common knowledge, but how deep those issues run is something very few know. You see, the Son family is very well known, for not mincing their words very well, and some members of the extended Son family aren’t as good of people as the ones we know and love so much. This is what brings us to the annual Son family reunion, and how this is complete bull but they still go because papa Son refuses to just relinquish his share of the inheritance to his sister. The woman is a complete and she will not be getting a single extra won if papa Son can help it.

 

All of this just means that Seungwan and Chaeyoung have to put on their ‘let’s go see grandpa and have him show us off to his friends’ suits, make sure they take their stomach medicine and remind their mother to take her blood pressure pills. Papa Son had already taken his relaxing pills and was waiting for them in the living room, nobody really wanted to go, but they had a collective hatred towards aunt Naeun, a vile and despicable woman they had no idea how she became what she became. 

 

Sure, grandpa Son was a traditional and hard headed man, but he hugged his grandkids tightly when they told him they liked men, welcomed Joohyun to his house and played checkers with the boy like he was his own grandchild. He was the first one at the hospital when Chaeyoung had his first anxiety attack and told the kid it was alright and he didn’t have to get perfect marks for physics because a sculptor didn’t need to know optics to make a lump of clay into something beautiful. 

 

Grandma Son was even more supporting and accepting of her little munchkins, she found it hilarious that they were both so small, she would call them hug size, and never missed a single opportunity to get them on her lap to tell stories, Chaeyoung was always the more attentive to those, but Seungwan was the one who would never fail to ask her for them. 

 

Both Dongwoon and Naeun had been raised in this loving but strict family, and it remained a mystery how the son was exactly like his parents and the daughter became the odd one out. Sure, grandpa and grandma Son would never reject their daughter, but both were very saddened when they saw how the woman had changed during her adolescence and how she became just another chaebol who lived to throw their money away in drinks and flashy clothes to impress useless boys. The almost ten year difference between Dongwoon and Naeun also never helped, their girl was just now arriving into the real adult life while their boy was living it for a long time already. 

 

It also never helped that Dongwoon had met Bora in his early twenties, and both had paved a brilliant career together despite it not being the family business at all, nor that he had his boys pretty early and was over the moon with happiness about his family life and settling down so early in life. Grandpa Son had told his boy it was alright to live his life a little, but Dongwoon never looked back on his decision to marry Dahye and let her be the one to take over his family business, nor that they had kids so soon after their wedding, he wouldn’t change it for the world. 

 

Naeun, however, went to an all girls’ school, her friends had all been the rich daughters meant to be seen and not heard, girls who would forever live with the family money and never need to do anything other than look pretty and cause scandals. She made friends in questionable places and opted to embrace the lavish lifestyle, each time the boys saw her she had a different boy toy hanging around her worse than the last, and loved to tell each and every one of them about her gay nephews just to get their input on it. Always loud enough for everyone to hear.

 

This annual reunion always happened on grandpa Son’s birthday, he was one of the big names in entertainment technology along with his partner, grandma Moon, grandma Son’s sister. You need something for your home studio? Performing on the streets? A concert? They have it. Son & Moon Electronics started as a small company that made really good microphones and speakers, they were so good that they began making more and more products and buying bigger buildings. Now they had three factories spread through Korea and six more abroad, S&ME equipment was also sold in another twelve countries.

 

Honestly, it was all just a media circus show for investidors and potential clients to see how united and strong the founders stood and how their families were more than capable to keep the business running without a hitch. All their kids, grandkids and in-laws were to appear and pose for the cameras, mingle and entertain the party goers, if only to make sure the right rumors were circulating among the right people. One might question why it was on grandpa Son’s birthday and not on Moon grandma’s, that would be because grandma Son and grandma Moon were twins and both celebrated their birthdays together with close family only, no matter what.

 

Seungwan had been asked to bring Joohyun along this year, which the boy convinced his grandfather to leave for grandma’s birthday instead of his, under the argument that he wouldn’t be able to entertain guests properly if Joohyun was there. In reality, the older Bae just didn’t want to lose his peace so soon and get to be known worldwide, maybe after they got engaged it would be inevitable, but for now, he really wanted to remain as an ordinary highschool boy. Regardless, it would be a very stressful day for everyone.

 

“Oh, look who is here.” Naeun slurs as her brother and his family approach. 

 

“Dongwoon!” Grandpa Son greets, ignoring his daughter completely. “What took you all so long?”

 

“Sorry, dad. The reporters held Dahye outside and wouldn’t let us get in.”

 

“They should be gone soon.” The old man pulls his son and daughter in-law into a tight hug. “And Dahye plays them like a fiddle.”

 

“I try my best, dad.” Dahye grunts. Grandpa Son might be old, but he was strong as an ox.

 

“You should give yourself more credit.” He releases them. “Handling the company is a challenge, I’d know.”

 

“Can you let them move along?” Grandma Moon scolds playfully. “We want to hug them too!”

 

“Auntie Myeonnie!” Dongwoon greets like a five year-old boy, something he never changed and the woman loved.

 

“Come here, boy. Tell auntie what you’ve been up to.” The old woman chuckles.

 

As mama and papa Son move along to greet grandma Moon and, later, grandma Son, who was coming back from wherever she went. As grandpa Son turns to his grandkids, Naeun starts throwing her usual comments towards them, her current boy toy joins in easily his comments are, if possible, worse than hers and there is nothing grandpa Son can do about it that won’t cause a scene. All he can do is pull the boys as far away from them as possible, sitting back where he was originally and pulling both to his lap, as he never failed to do since they were born.

 

Keeping appearances is hell, grandpa Son had already registered his will, Naeun was completely cut off after he was gone, he left her one simple house at the suburbs and one popular car, along with some money to survive the first year if she was sensible, but nothing else. She brought it upon herself through the years, but he can’t really do much at the moment, she still lives with him and the further he can go is to cut off her cards and not allow her to get a car. High society and their rules for success dictate that no matter what, no family member should be cast out, sure, Naeun was their daughter and grandpa and grandma Son loved her as such, but not being able to teach her better and harder lessons was difficult as she was growing up, and now it’s just too late. 

 

“Boys, the Parks are here.” Papa Son tells his children, his phone still in hand. “Jihyo came too.”

 

“Jihyo?” Grandpa Son asks, very interested. 

 

“You remember Bora’s kid? It’s him.” Dongwoon explains. “He never really came, usually he would be training and dieting, but this year he quit the team and decided to show up.”

 

“Oh, last time I saw him he was a little baby, bumbling around with Wannie.” Grandpa Son smiles wide. “Go get them, I haven’t seen Bora and Chanyeol for too long.”

 

“I’ll be right back with them, dad.”

 

Papa Son finds them pretty easily, Chanyeol stands out like a sore thumb among the short old men trying to woo his wife into some shady business. Not to mention there were two heads of very bright hairs beside her, Jihyo and Dahyun seemed to have dyed their hair. It wasn’t against school rule at all, and while Dahyun dyed his very frequently, Jihyo never felt like doing anything, mostly because he always had it very short to make the greco-roman helmet fit better. Now it was strawberry pink and Dahyun’s was blue, their very dark beards were a stark contrast to their hairs but so well trimmed and combed that Seungwan could only reconsider the rumors and make them true.

 

“Hyo, Dubs!” Chaeyoung greets happily. “I didn’t know you two were coming.”

 

“Hey, Chae.” Jihyo turns like the handsome trophy boyfriend he is and brings the cub into a tight hug. 

 

Dahyun had seen the expressions on the Son brothers’ faces since they got here, and it was even more amusing now that it was their friends. He knew Jihyo was entrancing, but whenever they had to dress up, both would get stared at a lot, and it was never not funny seeing people trying to compose themselves and speak to them. But what the younger Bae also knew was that Jihyo was more eye-catching than himself, he was slightly more muscular and a little bigger, his tanned skin, bright smile and starry eyes never failed to put a spell on the unprepared. Seungwan looked like he was ready to risk it all, he pulled his phone out, snapped a picture of the couple and sent it to the group chat with everyone.

 

The picture came out beautiful, Dahyun had a hand on his pocket and another on Jihyo’s lower back, the taller one was holding a glass and the other hand gesticulating something to Chaeyoung, they were in front of a flower bed section in the garden and the sun was hitting in an angle that made everything look just magical. That was it, Seungwan was framing the picture Joohyun will understand…. Joohyun would also, most likely, end up with a copy of the picture on the picture shelf too. The older Son snapped out of his daze when his little brother yanked him towards their friends, they all seemed to have told him something.

 

“Looky here, aren’t you a pretty sight.” Naeun says once she runs into Jihyo.

 

They were around the bathroom area, Jihyo was waiting for Dahyun to finish his business, Naeun was going back to the party, her boytoy nowhere in sight. She saw a handsome young man standing alone, his suit hugging all the right places and she could see he was very well gifted overall, her boytoy not as fun anymore, what was his name again? This one here was a little on the shorter side, but she was already feeling excited thinking about those strong arms throwing her to bed and pinning her down. Time for a hunt.

 

Jihyo, however, knew all about aunt Naeun, he did grow up with her nephews, he held Chaeyoung through panic attacks every time the boy came back from an encounter with her, he was the one to help Seugnwan build his courage to ask Joohyun out back up after he had to sit through a whole dinner beside the woman. Naeun was wasting her efforts, not that she knew that. But Jihyo opted to let her do whatever it was she intended and just pour a bucket of cold water on her as soon as Dahyun is back. The woman was obviously under the influence and did not notice he was very much not interested and very much , this should be fun.

 

“Thank you, ma’am.” He answers with a small bow. “Would you like some assistance finding your companion?”

 

“I think I’m looking at my new companion.”

 

“I’m sorry, ma’am, I don’t think this conversation is appropriate.”

 

“Of course it is, inappropriate would be me not coming over to talk to you.”

 

“Ma’am, I’m not sure your companion would appreciate this conversation very much.”

 

“Who?”

 

“The gentleman walking over here?” Jihyo points to boytoy looking pissed and marching over to them.

 

“Oh, him.” Naeun huffs, clearly displeased. 

 

“What is this?” Boytoy demands, his voice is as irritating as his image.

 

“What are you doing here?” The woman asks, already losing her patience.

 

“I came to see what was taking you so long and find you here with this chump?” Okay, rude.

 

“I don’t know what you think is happening here.” Jihyo begins, already fixing his stance. 

 

“I think you are hitting on my girlfriend and that you need to learn not to touch what’s not yours.”

 

“But I never touched her at all?” Jihyo’s big eyes are the ultimate weapon for sarcasm, and he uses them right now to give his best innocent look.

 

Dahyun gets out of the bathroom and makes eye contact, understanding to wait for his cue to swoop in.

 

“Don’t pretend you are innocent!” Boytoy lashes out. “I saw you.”

 

“Sir, I don’t know what you believe you saw, but I was just standing here.”

 

“Yeah, like anyone would be this secluded from the party without other intentions.” Boytoy takes a step forward, already puffing himself up for a fight.

 

“Hey, love.” Dahyun swoops in. “Who are your friends?”

 

Jihyo naturally lets his arms wrap around his boyfriend, kissing Dahyun lovingly but quickly, and gets enveloped by the shorter boy creating such an intimate scene boytoy has to blink a few times to understand what was going on. Aunt Naeun looks glitched, but nobody was really paying attention to her at the moment.

 

“I don’t know, hun. Ma’am here came up to say hi and I asked if she needed help finding her companion.” Jihyo moves a little to fully accommodate his lover once he sees there is no more danger. “But this sir right here arrived before she could answer.”

 

“Oh, now that they are together, could we go back to the boys? Mom did say we were about to leave.”

 

“Absolutely. Ma’am, sir.”

 

Both boys give a quick bow and leave, making sure they have a hand on their pocket because it makes their pants tighter and they knew aunt Naeun was looking. Between the two, Dahyun was the one with the bigger and rounder and Jihyo the one with thicker legs, together they were a feast for hungry eyes. It felt nice to see the woman frustrated for once, and the indignant grunt they heard as they turned back into the party was just the cherry on top.

 

Chaeyoung jumps them and locks arms with Dahyun the moment they get back to the main table, Jihyo laughs and moves to talk to grandpa Son and Seungwan. The dinner had ended less than an hour before and mama Park was just discussing some last business related proposals they got through the event. Grandpa Son had pulled Jihyo to sit on his lap as soon as the boy was on arm’s reach, Naeun came back to her parents coddling that handsome man from the bathroom, boytoy is immediately bothered and she isn’t feeling that great either.

 

“Naeun, it’s nice of you to re-join us.” Grandma Son greets her daughter.

 

The woman just nods, too perplexed with the scene she’s witnessing, who is this man exactly and why is her father carrying him on his lap. Nothing is making sense anymore. Jihyo sees their faces and tries to bite back the smile trying to form, Dahyun saw it too and just laughed freely, not that Chaeyoung understood anything but the pale boy didn’t care much at the moment. 

 

“Remember baby Jihyo?” Grandpa Son speaks up. “Look at how much he’s grown. To think last time Wannie brought him here they were wobbling around between our legs.”

 

“This is Jihyo?” Naeun looks like she is about to pass out.

 

“Jihyo, go get Hyun and we have to leave.” Mama Park says as she returns.

 

“Noooo!” Grandpa Son whines and tightens his hold. “I haven’t seen little Jihyo in years!”

 

“How about I bring him over for the holiday and we can all have fun for the whole four days?” Seungwan comes to the rescue.

 

“And all the boyfriends too?” Grandpa Son negotiates.

 

“Well, Chaengie has to actually ask Sacchan out before that, but sure.” Seungwan agrees easily. “We will all come and spend the entire holiday.”

 

“Promise?” The old man holds out his pinky for Jihyo.

 

“I promise.” Jihyo chuckles and catches the pinky with his own.

 

Grandma Son was looking at her boys with honey dripping from her eyes, she knew about the Parks, her husband and sister as well, and ended up taking Jihyo in as her own grandson. The boy was always so shy and disciplined she just wanted to spoil him rotten, and looking at him now, Jihyo indeed grew up to be an outstanding man, and his boyfriend was born to entertain the masses, as she noticed. Now Grandma and grandpa Son are pumped up and anxious about the next holiday, she was already listing down everything she was going to cook for the boys and how she couldn’t wait to have her house full and noisy again. At the same time, grandpa Son was coming up with all the activities he was dragging the boys to.