Tzuyu gets an invitation

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

That both Tzuyu and Jeongyeon had been doing extremely well in their relationship, it’s a known fact, both had talked lengthy about their goals, found a way to manage their college years together and still move in with each other. There was one thing, however, that neither knew of and would shake their boat a little bit. Tzuyu’s grandmother had visited from Taiwan and, being the nosy and reckless woman she was, had gotten a copy of her grandson’s academic records and taken them back with her. Knowing the boy had always dreamed of becoming a veterinarian, she disregarded all protocols for respect for someone else’s life, personal boundaries, the right of personal choice, and whatever other intrusive thing you can come up with.

 

Grandma Chou had sent her grandson’s records to a few colleges in Taiwan, the top ones, and two that her money had paid for a new hall or something but fell short in their content compared to the other ones. Knowing the last name, all institutions were interested, a fat check would surely follow the admision, but what impressed most was the boy’s commitment to the course. Chou Tzuyu had invested a lot into becoming a veterinarian, he already had enough for all mandatory credits they could request for the first two years and all the internships he had done already put him on top of any other applicant they had seen. It was abnormal that a candidate had put on so much work before even taking the entrance exam.

 

With that said, all institutions decided to invite the boy to join them once his senior year was through. The first invitation to arrive had been from The Taiwan Provincial Institute of Agriculture, a place the boy knew was one of the best he could attend, but didn’t remember applying to. Tzuyu had been sitting on the living room couch since he got back from the shelter, the envelope was on the hallway cabinet as all mail always is waiting for the owner to pick it up, he had picked up the heavy envelope mindlessly, only registering what it was when he was picking it up after stopping to play with bomb (the cat had showed up and refused to leave, the Chous just rolled with it).

 

Mr Chou arrived at some point, he got a call from his mother about college in Taiwan and didn’t really understand it, because he was the one to fill the applications with the boys and he was certain Tzuyu never sent anything to their homeland. But seeing his son sitting and looking at the table, he approached and saw the envelope, once the man read where it came from, he understood what his mother was talking about. It was unbelievable how his mother had learned nothing about backing off and allowing everyone to decide for themselves without her hand in everything.

 

“I feared this was what she was talking about.” The man huffs as he takes a seat.

 

“You know anything about this, dad?” Tzuyu asks, leaning against his father, he needed comfort.

 

“Your grandmother called me this afternoon, saying something about college and Taiwan, which I didn’t understand then.” The man tightens his hold and sighs before continuing. “I hate when she meddles like this, and I hate it even more that she did it to you.”

 

“It’s alright, dad. And it’s not like I have to accept any of it.” The boy whimpered, trying very hard not to cry.

 

“Look, son. Your mother and I love you very much, and we are behind everything you decide to do in your life…. Well, as long as you don’t get yourself arrested, then you are on your own.”

 

The small chuckle that left Tzuyu was enough for his father to feel more relieved.

 

“The thing is, dad, this college right here is one of the best there is. And despite not considering it before, now that I’m being invited to join, I kind of want to consider it.”

 

“Well, that’s up to you, really. Your mom and I will support you no matter your decision. But there is someone else you should discuss this with, right?!”

 

As if on cue, Bomb jumps on the couch, demanding those two useless humans to pet him until he decides it’s enough. Tzuyu didn’t need to say anything, and mr Chou didn’t expect an answer, but he started thinking about Jeongyeon and how they had pretty much already decided their future together, only for this one letter to make everything not make sense anymore. Yeah, they should really talk. The boy decided he needed a shower and left his father trapped under the cat, once Tzuyu was in his pajamas, he felt much better. 

 

Checking his emails, Tzuyu saw the virtual version of the physical package that was left on the coffee table downstairs, and sent a text to Jeongyeon, asking him if he could come over for a sleep over the next day. Jeongyeon agreed easily, it would be a friday and neither had anything to do the following day, not to mention, it had been a while since they last spent time alone together, lately had been filled with studying, working and talking to their families about what to do starting next year. 

 

When Jeongyeon arrived, he was happy to spend some alone time with his love, had a bounce on his step and a smile on his lips. He kissed Tzuyu and hugged him tight, before Butter started scratching his leg to be petted, Kaya was always the calmer one and just sat closeby and waited for her turn. Mr and mrs Chou also grabbed the older boy in tight hugs, though their eyes said something Jeongyeon couldn’t understand yet. Dinner was as always, though there was a slight tension the smaller boy could catch in the air, lingering just beneath the surface. Mrs Chou, knowing exactly how to help as always, suggested they moved to the living room for hot chocolate.

 

“Tzu, you have to speak up.” Mrs Chou eggs her son.

 

“I know, mom. I’m jus-”

 

“What’s wrong, love?” Jeongyeon fusses worriedly. “Are you hurt? Did I do something wrong? Are you breaking up with me? Please don’t break up with me, I can change!”

 

“Calm down, Jeong.” Tzuyu sighs, now he has to talk, thanks mom. “I’m not breaking up with you. You did absolutely nothing wrong and I love you very much, now breathe a little.”

 

“You sure?” The older boy asks with teary eyes.

 

“I promise.” The taller one hugs his boyfriend. “It’s just, remember when grandma came to visit?”

 

“Grandma Chou? I know for sure she hates me.”

 

“My mother is very difficult, I know.” Mr Chou pats the boys’ heads as he returns with more hot chocolate. “But she doesn’t hate you. She just likes to torture people for fun.”

 

There is a collective chuckle and mr Chou is happy that he could lighten the mood.

 

“Well, looks like she got a hold of my school records and sent them to colleges in Taiwan.”

 

“And you got in.” Jeongyeon completes defeatedly, already untangling himself from his boyfriend.

 

“And I got in.” Tzuyu confirms, weary of what the other boy would do now.

 

“And you want to go there.” The older boy is already at the edge of the sofa, refusing to look at anyone.

 

“It’s one of the world’s most renowned veterinary schools, and it would be great to attend.”

 

“That’s grand, Tzu. I’m happy you can get the best for your future.” Jeongyeon fires rapidly. “You have to take the opportunity. Like you said yourself, it will be the best for your future.”

 

“Jeong, talk to us, please?” Mrs Chou tries, she knew the boy was about to snap.

 

“I am, ma’am.” Oh, this was serious. “Like I said, you must accept. I’m very happy for you. Now, ma’am, sir, Tzuyu, I should head home for the evening.”

 

Everything happens too fast, Jeongyeon jumps up from where he was seated, bows to them and disappears into the entrance hall. You see, when Jeongyeon has a problem, he gets extremely polite and impersonal, the moment he heard the news, he started talking like it was the first time meeting them all, when ‘ma’am’ came out of his lips, the Chous knew he wasn’t alright at all. The youngest Yoo never lashed out, he would get quiet, agree with whatever was being said and be extremely polite, both in his speech and his actions. Tzuyu knew his boyfriend would take this hard but didn’t account to what he could do, mr and mrs Chou wanted the best for their son, like any parent would, but they also knew how much Jeongyeon loved Tzuyu and how the future he was already working hard to provide for them crumbled with this.

 

Jeongyeon left and walked aimlessly, he allowed his feet to take him wherever they wanted to go. When the boy came to, he found himself in the place he always went to when he needed time alone, growing up with two older sisters, being the only boy even among his cousins, he grew up much more sensible than society would deem appropriate for a boy, so instead of acting out like any other child, he shuts in and avoids speaking up. Sometime during middle school, he walked by a small trail, being bored and knowing he was going to be home alone, he decided to follow it, ending up in a small observation deck that looked over a small creek. He was amazed at the sight and decided it would be his secret place.

 

To this day, nobody knows Jeongyeon comes here whenever he needs time to himself. He only noticed his phone was blowing up after sitting down on his favorite bench and taking a look around. For now, only the Chous were trying to reach him, they probably didn’t contact his family yet, once his sisters got wind of him disappearing things could get a bit more worrisome, so he just mutes his phone and takes some time to think. Jeongyeon is happy Tzuyu got accepted into a great institution, he really is, but he was also excited for the near future with his boyfriend, he had even saved enough for the engagement ring.

 

The youngest Yoo had been thinking of proposing on the day they moved in together, despite not needing to work at all, Jeongyeon had been taking part time jobs so he could save for an apartment for the two of them once they begin college, and he had been taking extra shifts because he wanted to get a ring and take a next step in their relationship along with the new stage in their lives. But now, Jeongyeon is rethinking if he should say anything at all, what was the point, there might not even be a relationship soon anymore.

 

Crowning in those thoughts, Jeongyeon ended up spending much more time tuning out the world than he really noticed.