Sooyoung gets great news

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

If there was one thing we’ve been rooting for, it was for Park Sooyoung to be freed from an arranged wedding with a woman who never loved him and can’t even respect his presence when they were supposed to be acting the perfect couple for high society’s eyes. Kim Taeyeon would attend parties with him and get a toy just to strut around and show him what the boy knew he would never have, her father would try and scold her and make everything worse. Whenever the woman was supposed to be around her fiance, she would take her toy, get everyone to a more secluded area and have her fun while Sooyoung was placed as a scout, making sure nobody interrupted her during something important.

 

It was hell, Sooyoung grew up watching his parents, another arranged marriage, but both had been dedicated to one another since they were told about the engagement and lived a very happy life. But Taeyeon wanted to be the stereotypical rich girl, she wanted to party, hop from bed to bed before the sheets could get warm, drink her allowance away and, when the mood hit her, get crazy on whatever else was being offered. 

 

The woman had been told she was to marry who her parents chose for her on her senior year in highschool, and she met Sooyoung during summer vacation, between highschool and college, to say she was surprised would be putting it lightly, she knew he was younger, but not that much younger, and he was good looking enough, but her will to get on her father’s bad side and not let herself be tied down outweighed any hint of attraction she might have felt. Mr and Mrs Kim had also come from an arranged marriage, despite their rocky beginnings, they had found a rhythm both enjoyed and started working better together, there wasn’t burning passion there, but the couple loved each other and had hoped their older daughter would understand she could be happy like they were.

 

It was a friday evening, there would be some beneficent event the next day and Sooyoung liked to prepare his own suit for those, he had learned with Joohyun how to properly wash and iron from his socks up to his tie (weirdly, his boxers too and they usually felt great). Public events meant he would be posing as his fiance’s spotter while the woman was getting off with whomever caught her attention that evening. He really just wished he could go and not have to be around her at all. Mr Park arrives early, as his son was in the kitchen, with his ironing board and too many clothes all around him, he always got a good load whenever he the iron, to save energy he said.

 

The man had called his wife earlier that day and explained everything, then asked for some time alone with their son once he got home, he believed he should be the one to tell the boy and they should have a conversation where he needed to apologise for what he had put his own son through. Sooyoung was on his last piece of clothing, also the hardest to get just right, his dress shirt, it always brought a little frown to his forehead and the most adorable pout. 

 

Mr Park took a moment to watch, his son might be almost a man now and be much taller than himself, but times like this showed him it was still his baby boy, and that made his gut twist again when he thought about how much damage his narrow mind and business obsession brought to the person he swore to love and protect no matter what all those years ago, inside that infirmary as the nurse was immobilizing his broken wrist (who knew pregnant women would get that strong during labor).

 

“Sooyoungie?”

 

“Hey, dad.” The boy greets without losing focus. “You are home early.”

 

“I wanted to talk to you a little.”

 

“Can we do this here or would you prefer to wait a bit. I’m almost done here.”

 

“I’ll take a quick shower while you finish, then. Lord knows I hate meeting with the executives, I always come out smelling like those cheap cigars they love to smoke in public so much.” The man chuckles.

 

“Alright, I’ll finish here and wait for you in your office.”

 

“That would be great, can you make us something to drink too?”

 

“Sure, dad.”

 

Mr Park heads to his bedroom. Indeed, whenever he had meetings with those people who thought they were someone at all, he came out smelling like the cheap cigars and the bad whiskey those people loved to consume because they thought it showed status. Comedic, if it wasn’t sad, but that’s the life of business people. Now, mr Park didn’t want to waste too long, so he just took a quick shower, instead of his usual relaxing one, but some things are more important than his bubble bath at the end of the week.

 

Sooyoung finished with his clothes, put everything on the hangers and placed them in his closet, all with the utmost care. Then he headed to the kitchen and prepared a cappuccino and a hot chocolate before heading to his father’s office, warm drinks were always nice for serious conversations, at least that was what he grew up with. Mr Park came in not even five minutes after Sooyoung had settled on the fluffy armchair, the man enjoyed comfort, but he got business visitors at his home office every now and then and couldn’t really get a couch that was too comfortable. He had tried a few years back and it just seemed as an invitation for whomever was there to just lurk after they had discussed whatever they had to discuss.

 

“Oh, you did get us drinks.” The man says happily.

 

“Seven marshmallows, just the way you taught me.”

 

“And I still don’t understand how you insist on that bitter thing.”

 

“Don’t let mom hear you bad mouthing cappuccinos like that.”

 

“The worse she can do is hit me a few times, I think I can survive.”

 

Both laugh, and the boy knows his father must have something serious to discuss if he was making jokes before he spoke up.

 

“Well, son, I think I have some good news for you.”

 

“Let’s hear it, then.”

 

“Before that, I need to apologise.” The man gets teary eyed but clears his throat and powers on. “I’m so very sorry for everything I put you through. I was blinded by my own ambitions and let them harm you. I never wanted you to suffer like you have and I’ll forever carry that guilt with me. Please, please believe me when I say I’m sorry.”

 

“I believe you, dad. I’m not gonna say it’s okay, but we can work to make things better.” Sooyoung holds his father’s cheek gently, making sure they are looking at each other so he could transmit his sincerity.

 

“Thank you, that’s all I could have ever asked for.” Mr Park sniffs but manages to keep the tears in. “Now, to what I had to tell you.”

 

“I have been wondering about that. Mostly because mom isn’t home yet, and that means you asked her to leave us.”

 

“You know your parents too well.” Mr Park tries to scold. “But I asked her to give us some time because I was the one who did it to you, so I should be the one to tell you.”

 

“What deal did you make for me now?” The boy sighs defeatedly.

 

“Actually, it’s a deal I undid.” That peaks the boy’s interest. “You are now, and will remain free to be with anyone you want to be. Kim and I dissolved the engagement deal and you have nothing tying you to Taeyeon anymore. I know she put you through a lot and I’ll forever regret that, but you are free to be yourself now.”

 

“Thank you, dad.” Sooyoung sobs a little and lets his father pull him into his lap, just like the man used to do whenever he was upset growing up.

 

“You have nothing to thank me for, son.” Mr Park rocks them both slowly, and they remain silent until mrs Park arrives with dinner.

 

This charity event already felt different, Sooyoung had a little bounce on his step he had even changed his suit for the day, chose something less formal and that hugged his body better, showing off his broad shoulders and muscular arms, all these years playing football had to count for something. Mr Park had told the boy Taeyeon didn’t know about the engagement being off, and that mr Kim was apologetic for his daughter’s treatment of the boy and left it to Sooyoung to decide how he preferred to break the news to her.

 

Now, Sooyoung was truly a great guy, but he had been put through so many bad situations by his ex-fiance that he really wanted to get some revenge. He groomed his stubble, just a little shadow of a beard that grew overnight, spent quite some time to get his hair perfectly messy, wore his suit and made sure to align everything as the fashion industry demanded and sprayed on his favorite perfume. Now, smelling of roses and musk, he put a mint strip in his mouth just before he exited the car and made sure to pose for the cameras with one hand on his pocket, passing on the little rebel image that seemed to be so attractive. Indeed a fine young man.

 

The event was much like many others, the engagement ending hadn’t been announced yet, so people still asked Sooyoung about his fiance, which he deflected with ease, then he excused himself to go and talk to the other heirs around who were just as bored as himself. Kibum was the first familiar face he recognised and the two young men were talking about the dumb topics boys loved to discuss when a lovely young lady approached them.

 

“Noona, it’s been a while.” Kibum greeted with a warm smile. “This is Park Sooyoungie. Youngie, this is Choi Sooyoung noona.”

 

“You speak as if I’m an old hag when we are just a week apart.” The young lady scolded. 

 

“Pleased to meet you, noona. It’s a nice surprise to meet such a wonderful lady to share a name with.”

 

“See, Kibum? This is how you treat a lady.” She gives her friend a last slap for good measure. “The pleasure is mine. And I’d love to get to know you better. It’s rare to meet such a fine gentleman.”

 

“I’m sure Key would feel bad about that.” The youngest laughs.

 

“He’ll live. Now, how about you follow me to the bar so we can get a drink and talk a little more.” The woman doesn’t wait for an answer.

 

Kibum laughs, shakes his head and pushes his friend forward. He was the only one Sooyoung had mentioned about his engagement so far. Despite the boys mostly meeting in social events, they kept in touch and were really good friends, Kibum and Sooyoung were each other’s safe place in this cruel world of the wealthy and those who were still seeking it. Conversation with ms Choi was very pleasant, she was certainly born in this world and was a natural entertainer, our boy just let himself relax and follow the woman’s lead, they seemed to be a good enough match and it was a nice change for how these events usually played out for him.

 

Somewhere halfway across the room, Kim Taeyeon was fuming, she was a sore loser and would never allow that Choi to get funny with HER man without putting up a fight. Sure, she didn’t want him, but she never saw him looking like that and it changed her views a little, she could have some fun with the boy and he would be good looking enough to pose for the pictures. The woman was entertaining her toys for the evening and she would need her lookout soon, so she excused herself for a while to go and get what was hers.

 

“So, he took the goat, shoved it into his hoodie and started claiming he was the one making the noises. Bu-”

 

“Sooyoung.” Taeyeon cuts the other woman’s story, giving her a curt nod. “Sooyoungie.” She greets the boy with a light and very fake tone.

 

“Taeyeon.” The other woman greets, finding the situation hilarious.

 

“What do you need here, Taeyeon?” The boy asks, not willing to let his new acquaintance be treated like this by his ex.

 

“Well, I just came to tell you I’ll be needing you soon.”

 

“I’m not available for you. Just go back to your toys and we pretend we never saw each other and go on our happy ways.”

 

“I’ll give you the signal when the time comes. Make sure to be discreet.” Taeyeon ignores what she was told and leaves after the warning.

 

The Sooyoungs watch her walk away and back to the arms of a girl they didn’t know, the girl was pretty and looked younger, but neither cared enough. 

 

“What was that about?” Choi asks.

 

“Well, I’m sure everyone here knows we were engaged?”

 

“Were?” 

 

“I got the news yesterday, so you just got a scoop, ms Choi.”

 

“Oh my, we surely have to celebrate.” The woman’s voice turns sultry.

 

“Nice try, but I’m still not drinking. Now, I’d be very grateful if you didn’t tell anyone about the break up.”

 

“Only if I get to know what she was talking about.”

 

“Well, she used to get her toys drunk and into somewhere more private, and I’d be dragged to be the lookout and make sure nobody interrupted them. I’d comply because if the news broke it would be worse to me and my family than to her. She’s known to be the playgirl type so not a single news outlet would pay her any mind.”

 

“Talk about being trashy.”

 

“I’m just glad I’m not tied to her anymore. All I could have ever asked for was this engagement being annulled. And now, I can get to know fine ladies like yourself.”

 

“Aren’t you a charmer. How about you take me out next weekend and I can show you how fine of a lady I can be?”

 

“If you don’t mind my driver taking us, I’ll be honored.”

 

“How about you put your number in.” She hands him her phone. “And I’ll pick you up instead. But you are planning everything.”

 

“It would be my pleasure.”

 

They laugh and keep talking, the boy finds himself enjoying his evening. Taeyeon is thoroughly ignored and they make their way to the balcony, spending the rest of the evening there. When it was time to leave, the woman gives our boy a gentle kiss and he couldn’t be happier about how his first kiss had played out. His satisfaction was enhanced when he saw that his ex had been watching and she was completely pissed about what she saw.

 

The Sooyoungs talk all weekend, and agree to watch the press conference about the engagement and partnership between Parks and Kims being finalized. They were at the woman’s apartment, snuggly cuddling in their tracker suits, eating snacks and enjoying the fact that Taeyeon had been forced to attend but Sooyoung hadn’t. It was fun, both had agreed to take the day off to watch and so that the boy could evade the press that would undoubtedly set camp in front of his school. The teachers had agreed it would be better if the boy wasn’t present that day for everyone’s safety.

 

Ultimately, Sooyoung just wanted to kiss the boy again and this would be as good an excuse as any.