Trouble in the chem team

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

So, as seniors, our problem trio could choose to take part in the pre-championship competitions for the chemistry club, or just help them prepare. Jihyo had been a bit of a mess, so his choice was already set, and despite whatever they might tell you, Nayeon and Jeongyeon didn’t really feel motivated to participate if their little baby wasn’t going to. Yes, Jihyo will forever be that energetic little Kirby who ran up to them and declared they would be best friends for the older two. Sunmi was relieved, to be honest, she felt something was wrong, but the three wouldn’t give her any headaches for being too competitive.

 

That was the plan, at least. What people don’t really know is that Nayeon has an even shorter temper while ‘teaching’ than he has while ‘learning’. So, this year’s team was now being screamed at by an angry bunny because he already told them how to proceed with the solutions for the competition and the group had just ignored what he told them and proceeded to do as they were sure it would work. The thing is, the group was convinced they had to stick to the book’s guide, but some steps of the solution would take very long to be prepared, so Nayeon had printed out a copy of the recipe and made notes on what to begin with and in which order to prepare the components for the team to optimize the time they had.

 

Turned out, the team’s persistence in doing things wrong led them to exactly where the genius trio said it would. Sunmi was helping the other students with their own stuff, she just told Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Jihyo to run through an entire competition simulation with the new group and give them pointers to what they should and shouldn’t do. Jihyo wasn’t completely there, but he was trying his best, he was just way too calm and didn’t even react to the taunting about how his idea was stupid. Jeongyeon was reacting very well, however, and had bickered with Nayeon a few times, but he had also lost his patience with the other kids. I mean, the three knew what they were talking about, why aren’t the guys competing listening to them!!?!!

 

The competing team took three times the allotted time every single try and our favorite trio was livid, they were trying to help them out and optimize their process so they would be able to afford mistakes during the official competition. Not to mention, the team wasn’t even doing everything properly at all, their solution wasn’t even close to where it should be, and they insisted on not listening at all. Sunmi had been watching it, despite deciding not to interfere at the moment, she knew she would have to do something, and with the time they had, she might have to switch the members competing. The chem team, like any other team, had frontliners and understudies, and the teacher saw the understudies following what the trio was saying and getting to the best results possible, just like they were told they would.

 

“Alright, I think it’s enough for today.” Sunmi interferes before Jeongyeon jumps someone. “Everyone is free to go now. I’ll stay until the bell rings, if anyone wants to come and ask anything, I can help with your homework too if you want. See you all on thursday.”

 

She dismisses activities and goes to sit on her table. Some students come to her for help, others keep working on their activities and the chaotic trio, clearly frustrated, decided to just leave, maybe get some ice cream to cool their heads. Mina and Tzuyu were told to meet them there, both had been studying at the japanese’s house that day, and the group spent a good afternoon together. Jihyo seemed to cheer up a little as well, it’s not that he was completely down or something, but there was always that air of sadness around him. The group had noticed the same about Dahyun, but both boys were, somewhat, freer than when they were together, especially Dahyun, who stopped considering someone else before his own future.

 

The next club meeting came with a lot of surprises, some were angered, most were satisfied about Sunmi’s decisions. 

 

“Alright, kiddos. Listen up!” Sunmi calls for attention. “Having seen last meeting’s results, I talked to the principal and vice principal and we came to a few decisions regarding the competition at the end of the month.”

 

That caught everyone’s attention. 

 

“Seeing as the current front liners are unable to control their egos and listen to instructions, they are no longer competing at all. We are moving the understudies up and selecting new ones as understudies.”

 

The students who thought they would be the new chemistry idols were, obviously, ultraged. They started screaming and complaining and throwing a tantrum, all was quickly shut down by angry ms Lee. Angry ms Lee only came out once in a blue moon but she surely knew how to command obedience the moment she appeared.

 

“Silence!” The teacher demanded coldly. “The decision has been made by myself and the two highest authorities in this school. You are all relieved from your duties to the team starting immediately.”

 

Her tone even got Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Jihyo to be on their best behaviour. Not that the three had been too much of a headache, Sunmi understood how frustrated the boys must have been with being utterly ignored when they just wanted to help out. She had been frustrated too, and worse, she knew the team stood no chance if they kept doing this. 

 

“You want to complain, you can bring it up to the principal, the student office will be happy to hand you a complaint form. I want a team, and I want people who can listen, learn and have a chance to win.” She now refers to the former main team members. “You showed me last time that you prefer to throw the competition rather then listening to your colleagues who have done this before.”

 

“You prefer them, anyway.” One of the kids mumbles, looking at our boys, but it’s loud enough. 

 

“Well, ms Choi, this is a matter of who will understand this is a team and put aside their personal grudges, and who will simply throw a competition for it.” Sunmi proceeds calmly. “Believe it or not, Im, Yoo and Park went through the exact same thing when they first made the team. They listened to their seniors and took all the advice they could get. As you remember, we hold selections every year to determine who is on the team, and the three of them fought for their places just like everyone else. The tests are open for everyone after the results, so you saw with your own eyes that they earned their places.”

 

The teacher stands up and looks directly at the students who were complaining.

 

“I don’t take kindly to being accused of not being impartial with my work, ms Choi. Please refrain from that in the future, if you intend to continue in this club. Also, I’ll be requesting a meeting with your guardians about this behaviour. Anyone who isn’t willing to attend today’s meeting is dismissed. Those who choose to stay, we’ll start preparing the new team and selections for the understudies will be held on saturday.”

 

With that, Jeongyeon is the first one to move, prompting his best friends to follow and then the rest of the students. The new team was already very open to advice and took all of it gladly, the trio did have their own strategies that worked only for them, but everything flowed easily. The other students who weren’t yet part of the team were watching on the sidelines and taking notes, truth be told, the trio might have short fuses, but if you knew how to defuse their squabbles before they escalated, they were great to work with. Everyone ended up learning tips, not only for the competition, but also for studying as well.