How Mina met Nayeon

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

Let’s take this chapter to follow one of the most unlikely couples in this story, Mina and Nayeon, on the surface level at least, were as opposites as it got, Mina was the quiet and elegant foreigner, he moved with caution and thought everything through. Nayeon, on the other hand, was obnoxious and reckless, he would act first and think later, most times getting himself in trouble for nothing. They didn’t really know each other for a long time, Nayeon’s name was somewhat famous as the star of the basketball team, but Mina liked being left alone, not that his strategy worked that well, he was being confessed to on the daily.

 

They met one day when one of Mina’s suitors was being rather forceful and Nayeon happened to be putting away the equipment after training. The basketball team always had schedules for who would clean up, being fair to everyone and making sure nobody would be overwhelmed at any point, Nayeon had dragged the cones to the back so he could scrub them, those things had gone from orange to brown already and he was a bit disgusted to touch them and feel the grime stuck there. With the power of bullting his way through anything, Nayeon had managed to talk everyone to agree on letting him deduce five cleaning days if he could manage to get those things clean.

 

Mina had been asked to meet his suitor behind the gym and, once he said no, the guy didn’t like his answer and got incredibly angry. The boy started screaming and demanding Mina would go on a date with him, no matter what, and he wasn’t taking a no for an answer from him. Nayeon heard the commotion and approached with the hose he was using in hand. There, he saw a small boy looking very uncomfortable and a big senior (he knew through the tie) screaming about some nonsense. Everyone knows Im Nayeon always hated unreasonable people and disrespect, when both came together like this, he just snapped.

 

Nayeon splashed the screaming guy with the hose, who yelped and tried to understand what was happening. Mina, observing the attacker was trying to help him, took a few steps towards the new face to allow him more splash area and make sure he wouldn’t risk getting wet himself.

 

“WHAT THE ???” The senior spluttered once the water stopped.

 

“You looked like you needed to cool down a bit.” Nayeon said nonchalantly.

 

“WHAT IS IT TO YOU? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO I AM?”

 

“Obviously not, and I clearly don’t care.” Nayeon squared his shoulders up and splashed some more water. “Now, walk away, sunbae.”

 

The tone the mystery splasher was taking left no more room for discussion and the senior had already lost all his pride so he decided to just leave, cursing under his breath and stomping away. Mina giggled but was very thankful for the rescue, he really didn’t need another senior limping away for being kicked where the sun doesn’t shine. Nayeon immediately let his knees buckle and let out a relieved sigh, which got Mina’s attention, the japanese clearly believed his hero was ready to fight for him. Which, Nayeon was, but that didn’t mean he liked it at all.

 

“I thought you were the tough hero?” Mina decided to ask, very amused.

 

Nayeon just waved his hand for the boy to follow and went back to his cleaning.

 

“Well, I really hate fighting, I don’t even know how to make a fist.” The taller boy demonstrated and got a few giggles.

 

“Well, thank you anyway. I wouldn’t mind getting physical, but I prefer to avoid it too.” Mina heard a grunt and took that as cue to keep talking. “I’m Mina.”

 

“Nayeon.” The basketballer never stopped his work. “I’m afraid I can’t really give you proper attention now, I have to finish washing these.”

 

“It’s alright, we can talk while you work. Why are you cleaning those anyway?” The japanese asks, jumping up the half wall where the taps are.

 

“Mostly because these are disgusting and I can’t even look at them without wanting to throw up.” The older boy grunts a little. “But also, this will get me a month and a half off cleaning duties.”

 

“So you just want to laze around.” Mina concludes.

 

“Mostly, yeah.” Nayeon smiles.

 

The boys giggle and talk a little more, Nayeon was really concentrating on his task, and Mina was just observing him. The younger boy found this new kid interesting, he had seen Nayeon in school but they never really interacted, mostly because their circles didn’t interact. It was cute to watch the promise of the basketball team puffing his cheeks and grumbling under his breath about how he should think of better ways to get out of cleaning duties. The bright bunny smile on those heart shaped lips were also something that caught Mina’s attention, he thought this could be interesting to try, befriending the boy, that is.

 

That afternoon, after they put away the cones, Mina asked Nayeon for his number and they started talking. Nayeon was fun and, despite what was expected from the typical jock, took his studies very seriously, the japanese took that as an opportunity to spend more time together and they started studying everyday, under the guise of helping each other. Both boys learned new sides to each other and started falling for the hidden charms. Despite whatever Im Nayeon may claim happened, Mina was the one who couldn’t restrain himself anymore and kissed the older boy during one of those study sessions, from then, the bunny asked the penguin on a date and the rest is history.

 

“What are you so smiley about?” Nayeon asks while he stretches.

 

The couple had been out on a picnic, enjoying the lazy sunday. The older boy hadn’t been sleeping properly with the latest stress and Mina told him to take a nap. 

 

“I was remembering when we met.”

 

“You looked so bored then.” The older boy releases a pleased sigh. “I just thought you looked beautiful and I wanted that guy to go away.”

 

“Oh.” Mina gets a cocky smirk that his boyfriend loves so much. “You never told me that. So I was beautiful.”

 

“Well, the lighting helped a lot, it made you seem like you were glowing.” Nayeon pecks his boyfriend and lays back down. “But I would be lying if I said I wasn’t interested when I saw you giggle for the first time.”

 

“Hmm.” Mina looks thoughtful but he peppers kisses all over his lover’s face. “You got me with that charming smile of yours.”

 

“I have been told I’m very charming, yes.”

 

Mina chuckles but doesn’t say anything, they keep trading soft kisses as the cool breeze makes both shiver slightly. Nayeon loved these moments, just being with Mina and not having to be anything else. They have always understood each other in silence, Mina had this subtle way of caring for others, he would do and not wait for people to ask him anything, Nayeon was comfort, if the word had a personification. The older boy knew the ones he loved and never failed to make them at ease without having to ask anything, he just knew how to make Mina feel like a million bucks no matter the situation.

 

“We should head back.” Nayeon grunts softly. “It’s getting cold and I really want us to shower and cuddle in bed before we start making dinner.”

 

“Oh my, mr Im. You are quite daring, now that we are alone.” Mina mocks.

 

“We can do that too, if you want.” The older boy sits up. “But mom and dad will be out for the week and you are the one who can’t keep their hands to themselves.”

 

“Guilty, but you just look so cute when you are just out of the shower, with your fluffy rosy cheeks and that irresistible smile of yours.”

 

“All for you, mr Im. All for you.”

 

“And here I was thinking you would want to be a Myoui when the time came.”

 

“We can hyphenate.” Nayeon shrugs, helping the other boy up. “But we still have a while to talk about that. Let’s get back so you can abuse me.”

 

“I can do that.” Mina smirks again.

 

Both boys laugh, lacing their arms and bouncing on their way back. Mrs Im had a work trip to attend and her husband was her plus one, they would be gone for the week and Mina immediately said he would gladly keep Nayeon company the entire time. Mr and mrs Myoui had just laughed and waved their son off when he told them he planned to stay with his boyfriend for that period. Nayeon, in turn, had prepared a whole dinner with a pillow fort and a stranger things marathon for the first night, and an amazing breakfast the following morning, he had also cleaned everything from the previous night and Mina scolded him for not waiting so they could clean up together.