Get your hands off my cousin!

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

Park Sooyoung was known to be cool and a little unreachable, the strong and handsome football team captain that had many competing for his attention, and just about as many wanting to be him. Truthfully, he was just a big teddy bear and gentle to a fault, but once his little cousin was involved, he would switch to a cruel and relentless persona that very few had the chance to experience. Chorong was like a little sister to him and he decided he would protect her from the world at any cost, that meant he would often overreact and make a mess.

 

Now, what Chorong knew but her big scary cousin didn’t, was that their other cousin, not so big but equally scary, also attended the school they were enrolled in and she was very excited to meet him again after so many years. Jihyo wasn’t big and looked incredibly cuddly when he smiled, but the boy could throw a mean punch when he needed to. Chorong, in turn, was just sunshine and rainbows, she had always been a happy child and grew up looking at the positive side of things even in the darkest times. When Chanyeol had been disowned, the girl was sad about not being able to see her small cousin and her fun uncle and auntie as much anymore.

 

Jihyo always made a point to call Chorong and talk to her whenever possible, which wasn’t that frequent, he loved his little cousin like a sister and wanted to make sure she was doing well, despite not being able to see her anymore. The girl had been ecstatic since she knew she could go to school with her two big bros when she came to the right age, and had been too excited from the day she got accepted. 

 

Now, since the week before classes started, Chorong had checked her supplies, washed all her uniforms, ironed them herself, then re-checked the supplies, shined her shoes, ironed her socks for the sake of it, shined her backpack, then had her mother tell her it would stain her clothes and learned how to remove leather grease and make her backpack shine without it. Her father had been offered as tribute (her mother had an innate ability to disappear in times like these) and was stuck walking the route to and from school twice a day, everyday, so the girl could be certain she wasn’t going to get lost. All in all, she just wanted classes to begin, to meet new friends and see both her cousins, especially Jihyo, whom she hadn’t seen in so long.

 

The first thing the students are asked to do is find their classes and head to orientation after they leave their backpacks in their lockers. Chorong was bouncing around, barely able to contain all the energy about to blow, she got a few weirded out looks and a few complaints about the feet she stepped on, but nothing that she allowed herself to bother her. The ceremony began with the vice-principal giving the usual warnings, explaining to the new students where to go for each problem and introducing the headmaster, who proceeded to give a speech about school life and how it’s good to enjoy but they should remember to be responsible at all times and reach out for the teachers whenever they needed to, because they were all there to help.

 

Everything was pretty scheduled, nothing the older students didn’t know about, maybe that was why the seniors weren’t paying that much attention, Chorong noticed, then it was time for the school council president to speak, and that caught the girl’s full attention, Park Sooyoung, student council’s treasurer, stepped up to explain the schedule drawn for the school year, the predicted events and how things would progress and how the budget for clubs would be decided in a meeting with the captains later in the week. After that, the student council president took over with a short speech about welcoming all new students and asking them to find any official if they had problems, suggestions or complaints about school.

 

Everyone was dismissed and asked to head to their homerooms, where the teachers would go over a few final informations and then everyone was free to head out. Chorong just wanted to find her cousins because she missed them too much, so, once the teacher dismissed them, she bolted towards the student council office to try and find the first one, it would be easier to locate the other with help. Sooyoung wasn’t there yet when she arrived, but the vice-president gave her some tea and asked the girl to wait on the couch as he had already texted the other boy who said he was on his way. 

 

“Now, Rongie, why are you in such a hurry to meet your favorite cousin?” Sooyoung asks, but opens his arms with a bright smile.

 

“Sooyoungie!” The girl jumps up and lets herself melt into those strong and comforting arms.

 

“I missed you a lot, you know.”

 

“I missed you too, you big fool. Why didn’t you visit?”

 

“I’m the council treasurer, and captain of the football team.”

 

“Still!” Chorong pouts a little.

 

“How about I take you out for that coffee shop you love and we can spend the afternoon together?”

 

“I’d like that a lot.” She agrees easily.

 

“But before that, I have to go down to the field and talk to the team a little. Is that alright?”

 

“Sure!”

 

Sooyoung chuckles and both leave the council room after he hands in his report. The football team was supposed to gather to get their schedule for the first month, up until they vote for the new captain. The seniors were also with a lighter schedule so they could focus on their entrance exams, they would play, sure, but a lot less and mostly for important matches. This also gave the younger ones the chance to get used to not having the more experienced players around, as none of the seniors would be joining them for the last few games of the season at all, since it would also be exam time for them. Now, it was still very hot, and Sooyoung had to wear the full uniform to speak at the assembly, he just removed the extra layers as soon as they left the student council office, which was a rare sight, the boy was always very well aligned.

 

Once in the field, Sooyoung took the captain persona and guided his players through their schedules, reminding them that they should vote for the new captain as soon as next week and those willing to apply should prepare themselves. Chorong was very proud of the man her big bro was becoming, and ran to hug him tightly and tell him exactly that once he was finished. The thing nobody was expecting, however, was a fuming Jihyo marching right up to them, spinning the taller boy around and landing one of his best punches square in his nose.

 

“Get your hands off my cousin!” 

 

“What the ?” Sooyoung protests.

“Hyohyo?” Chorong is surprised.

 

“Sooyoung?” Jihyo is confused now.

 

“What the hell, Hyo? Why are you hitting me?” The captain asks.

 

“I thought some bloke was hitting on my little cousin.” Jihyo explains. “But what are you doing hitting on my little cousin?”

 

“Hitting on who?” The taller boy still doesn’t understand.

 

Jihyo points at Chorong, who is looking at him and trying not to cry, it’s been too long since she had him at arm’s length like this, and she was taking a while to understand this was really happening.

 

“That’s my cousin, Park Chorong?” The little wrestler points out.

 

“Nooooo… That’s MY cousin, Park Chorong.” Sooyoung seems to have gotten the pain under control.

 

“What are you talking about? She’s my little cousin, three years younger who just started here?”

 

“What are YOU talking about?”

 

“You two don’t really know each other?” Chorong decides to intervene.

 

“Of course we do! This is Park Sooyoung, captain of the football team, treasurer for the student council, looks tough but is incredibly nice and respectful, and one of my greatest friends.”

 

“This is Park Jihyo, star of the former wrestling team, national level athlete but also a genius. Part of professor Lee’s star trio, gives her a headache all the time but is really a sweetheart who is a little daft here and there.”

 

“Wait, you two know each other but don’t know each other, that’s it?” Chorong is unbelieving.

 

“Can you clarify what you are trying to say?” Sooyoung asks.

 

“Sooyoungie, this is Hyohyo, uncle Chanyeol’s son?” The girl explains. “Hyohyo, this is Sooyoungie, uncle Sangmin’s kid?”

 

Both boys are stunned and waiting for the information to process, sure, they knew of each other, but with Chanyeol being kicked out and everything that came along with that, the boys never really met each other as cousins, they just knew of the other’s existence, but that was about it. Chorong understood that they really had no idea about who they were to each other, despite being good friends, as it seemed. The girl was thoroughly entertained now, Sooyoung’s nose was very red and they should go to the nurse’s office to get it iced, but this was too interesting. Three boys approached them as the Parks were still frozen.

 

“Why did they glitch this time?” The pale boy asked.

 

“I thought Soongie would tackle Hyo after the punch, good thing I didn’t start a pool.” The squirrel looking boy comments.

 

“Now, be nice, you two.” The tallest of the three chastises. “I’m Kang Seulgi, these are Bae Joohyun and Son Seungwan, we are friends with these two and decided to come and ask when we saw them just standing there looking like derps.”

 

“I’m Park Chorong.” The girl greets happily. “Their cousin. Apparently, they didn’t know they were cousins until Hyo punched Sooyoungie because he thought Soo was hitting on me and he’s protective like that.”

 

“They are what now?” Seungwan chokes out.

 

“Cousins. Their fathers are my mother’s brothers.”

 

“But you are a Park?” Joohyun tries to piece everything together.

 

“Oh, my dad took my mom’s last name, something about business or whatever.” The girls throws uninterestedly. “But both just found out about each other today and roe like that.”

 

“I’ll get it.” Seulgi says. 

 

The monolided boy walks up to the pair still eyeing each other, raises his hands and punches both their heads. It works, and nobody can really be mad at Seulgi, so they just grumble and let it go. The friendly bear seems satisfied about the result he gets and goes back to the others.

 

“So, I heard you two just found out you are related?” Joohyun asks amusedly.

 

“Looks like we are.” Sooyoung mumbles.

 

“I’m sorry, Soongie. It’s just that I was excited about meeting Rongie again and got really protective when I saw her being so close to a man.”

 

“It’s okay, Hyo. I would have tackled you if it was the opposite.”

 

“You two really need to stop trying to hide me from the world, you know.” Chorong arches an eyebrow in annoyance. “Plus, it’s not like I’m single anyway.”

 

“WHAT!” The Park boys are riled up again.

 

“Oh, shush you both.” Seulgi decides to intervene. “She’s at the age to start dating, and it’s not like you both are ones to talk anyway.”

 

Both Jihyo and Sooyoung get very flustered and silent at that, Seulgi had a lot of dirt on both and neither was willing to allow anything to come to light. Chorong was intrigued, but she knew it wasn’t the right moment to say anything, also, she wanted to ask Seulgi alone and without the possibility of anybody stopping her from getting every last drop of information about her findings. What she didn’t know yet, was that Seulgi would tell her anything, she just had to ask nicely.

 

“Now, why don’t you two take your little cousin out to eat and then you can take me for some ice cream as an apology for this fighting.”

 

“Oh, I know exactly where to take you.” Jihyo says and smiles.

 

Then, the smaller boy guides his cousins away, after shouting a ‘see you later’ to their friends who were still watching and very entertained.