What are they doing? Oh.

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

Okay, so this was something. A little crowd was already gathering, mostly familiar faces, other students just got bored and gave up on watching. Sunmi happened to be the teacher called to solve the problem, but she was standing there and watching because she couldn't really understand what this problem was. The woman was deeply troubled, some girls came to get her saying one of her students was in trouble, but this was ridiculous.

 

“Mrs Lee, good morning.” Jeongyeon greeted, approaching his favorite teacher who looked very lost.

 

“Yoo, good morning.” The woman greeted back, still a bit dazed.

 

“What’s happening? Why are this many people hanging around?” The boy questions while approaching.

 

“Right! You might be able to help.” Sunmi seems to have an idea. “Can you tell me what is happening over there?”

 

“What are those idiots doing?”

 

“I was hoping you could help me to understand that, Yoo.”

 

“Sorry, Sunmi. I have no idea what that might be.” Jeongyeon looks around and spots his boyfriend. “I think I know how to find out, though.”

 

“How?” 

 

“Tzuyu comes to school with Nay. He should know what happened.” The boy points out the tall spectator.

 

“Oh, good to know.” The teacher turns to where she was pointed. “Mr Chou, I was hoping you could help us.”

 

“Ms Lee, good morning. What would you need?” Tzuyu greets.

 

“I was hoping you could tell me what’s happening over there?” She points at the problem.

 

“Oh, that.” Tzuyu chuckles. “They are fighting.” He says with ease.

 

“Are you sure they are fighting?” Sunmi tries to comprehend the information she’s receiving. “It sure doesn’t look like it.”

 

“Oh, you are right, they are fighting.” Jeongyeon seems to have understood what was happening.

 

“Good morning boys.” Mina had arrived and saw two of his friends with a teacher, he went over to check. “What’s the trouble?”

 

“Minnie, can you point to ms Lee how that is your boyfriend fighting? Because we really can’t and I only know it’s a fight because I was here when it began.” The taller boy asks.

 

Mina looks over and laughs heartily, Sunmi is still as confused as ever, this is ridiculous.

 

“Don’t worry, ms Lee.” The japanese boy manages amongst laughter. “The most that will happen with those two are some scratches and a dirty uniform.”

 

“Still, as the teacher chosen to take care of this, I should give them a punishment. No idea which punishment because I really have no idea what they are doing.”

 

“Well, I can tell you how it started.” Tzuyu decides to share. “Yeonnie and I were arriving when two kids passed by with their mother, Joonie was at the gate waiting for Wannie as always. When the kids passed by, the little girl screamed ‘tokki’ and waved, both waved back and then Yeonnie said it was useless for Joonie to wave because the girl was clearly talking to him.”

 

“Oh.” Mina and Jeongyeon understood right away how the ‘fight’ started.

 

“Are you serious?” Sunmi was baffled. “They are fighting because they want to be the bunny big brother?”

 

“It was a fight waiting to happen.” Jeongyeon shrugged. “Both want to be the bunny and think the other can’t. Just let them do whatever that is and give them detention.”

 

“Will that be ever over? I’ve been here for twenty minutes already.” The teacher is doubtful.

 

“Nobody can tell.” Mina says. “If they aren’t done by the time Jihyo arrives, they’ll be done by force.”

 

“Fair enough.” Sunmi agrees and goes back to watching the two.

 

Nayeon and Joohyun had this quarrel about who was the real bunny among the group, absolutely nobody cared about it, and Jihyo had already beaten into them that it was a meaningless argument and should be forgotten. Joohyun was as prideful as Nayeon and neither was willing to concede to that. But the most annoying part was that neither really knew how to fight, at all. Joohyun was a footballer who didn’t know how to make a fist to throw at someone, and Nayeon was a basketballer who lost fights to critters, zero chances that both could really fight each other for real.

 

It did start with the little girl, both boys loving kids and getting excited that two kids were waving at them. Then Nayeon decided to be, well, Nayeon and Joohyun wasn’t about to stand down either. The pale boy said ‘come at me bro’ and Nayeon went at him. The problem is, neither really understand how a fight should happen, so Nayeon started touching Joohyun’s face, something the older one hated and started touching the other’s face as well, then Nayeon used his height to his advantage and maneuvered behind Joohyun to keep touching his face and dodge the attacks.

 

Joohyun just put his arms up and his finger went into Nayeon’s nose, who retaliated with and putting his thumbs in the shorter one’s ears, the whole thing looked ridiculous, and more of an annoying hug than a real fight, if Mina hadn’t confirmed it was indeed a very serious fight, Sunmi would honestly just keep watching and not do a thing about it. The worst thing coming out of said fight was the boys' uniforms that were crumpled and dirtied with green patches because they rolled on the grass for a while at some point.

 

Who knows how long after Mina arrived, Jihyo got to the school and saw some familiar faces looking at something along with the mini crowd. Seungwan, Chaeyoung and him had always walked to school together and their arrival was the end of the show even Sunmi was enjoying that morning. Our Jigglypuff lovechild marched straight to the fighting duo as soon as his eyes landed on them, got a hold of both their ears (he had mastered the technique to grab the ears so that they would all face the same direction once broken apart), and marched directly to Sunmi with the screaming troublemakers begging for their ears.

 

“Ms Lee, good morning.” Jihyo greeted, looking pissed. “These two have been restrained, please do your part.”

 

“Thank you, mr Park. I was unsure of what was actually happening between them. But I will make sure they are properly disciplined.” Sunmi tries to hold her laughter, angry Jihyo was too cute.

 

“Thank you ms Lee. I will take my leave, then. See you in class.” Jihyo motions for his friends to disperse.

 

The boys leave because they don’t want to be on the receiving end of Jihyo’s anger, he might look cute, but he was ruthless and vengeful against anyone who rubbed him the wrong way. Nayeon and Joohyun were waiting very quietly and well behaved for Sunmi to say something. She told the crowd to disperse and motioned for the boys to follow her, they silently grabbed their school bags and skittered behind the woman to the teacher’s lounge. 

 

“Look, I know you two have your differences, but fighting is not something that will help.” She started. “Whatever it was that started this fight, I’m sure you two could have talked it out. Now, I know you are both in clubs and are important members of those clubs, but you two are on cleaning duty as detention for the next five days.”

 

Both Nayeon and Joohyun raise their heads at that, they look surprised and not at all happy about the punishment they just got, Sunmi was losing one of her best bets for the week as well, chemistry club would have a competition soon and Nayeon needed to work on the strategies with the rest of the team. But she was a teacher first and foremost, fighting in school grounds was unacceptable and completely against school rules, she had to do her job unbiased. 

 

“I will write it off on your files as a mild disagreement, but that is as far as I can help you both. Consider yourselves lucky thatI was the one called to stop you, another teacher might have not been so lenient. I know you two need your files clean for the scholarship applications and I’d like you both to still have a chance, so I’m going to do what I can to not dirty it.” Sunmi reminds them of what they were risking. “I’m also asking you both to write apology letters to each other, 500 words each to be delivered in two days. Take this time to reflect on what you two just put at risk.”

 

The boys are just silent, they didn’t think about what they were doing at all, and just now it hit them that they were being extremely irresponsible in exchange for absolutely nothing. Joohyun already had his eyes watery and Nayeon’s bottom lip was already out and trembling. Sunmi was being as gentle as she could while talking to them, she was one of the few teachers who actually took the time to get to know her students and they loved her right back. She knew these two were good kids with reckless and explosive personalities, and didn’t really want to compromise their future because they were being teens.

 

“I’m going to give you both a pass for the first class, fix yourselves and make yourselves presentable. Go to the nurse’s office if you need to, and get to your classrooms by the second period.” The woman hands them an absence slip each. “Now go, I’ll see you both after classes to guide you to your punishments. Meet me here.”

 

The boys grab the slips and leave silently, they were doing a poor job at not getting emotional in front of their teacher, they understood what happened and how much they put at risk because of a stupid argument. Both head to the gym locker room to try and clean up as best as they could, there were some supplies to clean their uniforms at the back, many students got too excited during free periods and needed to get something or the other clean before heading back to class. 

 

The door closing behind them was what both needed to break down, there was nobody at the locker room at that time, and they would have a while for themselves. There were a lot of apologies, loud crying and snot happening, but both got it out of their systems and dragged themselves to class, uniforms a little better, but ruined faces from the crying.