Sana is very wise

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

Sana had been relaxing with Chaeyoung in his room, they had just showered (separately because Chae was still very shy) and were cuddling in bed waiting for the younger boy to choose what they would be watching. It wasn’t late, but not very early either, when Chaeyoung’s phone started pinging, Sana had also gotten a few messages, but nothing close to what his boyfriend had.

 

“We should check, if we are both getting messages, something must be up.” The japanese said after his twelveth message in less than five minutes.

 

“But I’m comfortable and loved right here, I don’t wanna move.” Chaeyoung grumbled.

 

“And you will still be comfortable and loved if we move a little to check what people want from us.” Sana laughed.

 

“Fine.” The youngest one moves a little and takes their phones from the nightstand.

 

Sana thanks him silently with a kiss to the forehead and both go on to find out what was happening. Turns out that Tzuyu got into a college abroad, Jeongyeon didn’t take it very well and disappeared. They all knew that, if a couple was already settled for life, it would be those two, but appearances can be deceiving, it seems. Chaeyoung got many more messages from his group with Dahyun and Tzuyu, the three were the closest and it would be weird if they weren’t talking among themselves more in depth. 

 

The japanese, however, was following the drama both through his boyfriend, and the School Meal Club group, and through the group he was in with Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Tzuyu, Chaeyoung and Mina, with that, he got all the tea. There was a small thing that Sana didn’t tell anyone, he thought it would be better to keep this one thing between them two, and so he did. He might be a bit weird, too free spirited and affectionate towards people he likes, but one thing only those who truly know him understand, is that he is wise and observant beyond his years. 

 

“Chaebaby?” Sana calls for the boy in his arms.

 

“Yes, love?”

 

“I have to go out for a little bit. I think I know where Jeong might be.”

 

“Well, then, let’s go!” The smaller boy jumps up.

 

“No, honey. I’m going alone.” Sana stops him. “I only think I know by coincidence, and if it’s the place I think it is, he doesn’t want anybody finding out about it. I’ll go and take a look and report whatever I find.”

 

“But it’s Jeongie, I wanna go too.”

 

“I know you do, babe. But not this time. I have to go alone for this, otherwise it might make things worse. Just stay here and wait for me, I promise I’ll talk to you soon.”

 

“Okay…” Chaeyoung agrees, still unconvinced, but he agrees.

 

The younger boy knows he should listen to his boyfriend whenever got that one specific look on his face. He wanted to tag along, but if Sana was that certain he would be going alone, then alone he will go. The japanese boy gets dressed quickly and leaves, telling Chaeyoung to wait for his news before telling anyone anything to avoid raising false hope, he passes his father in the living room and tells the man he should be back shortly. It was normal for Sana to go out on whims like this, his parents were used to it.

 

It was a little far, the place he had in mind, but jogging helped shorten the travel time. Sana had happened upon the place a few months before, around the time Nayeon had been raging in Kobe, he was coming back from his father’s lab, the japanese took a lot of back streets and alleyways for shortcuts, it saved him about twenty minutes walking home. He saw Jeongyeon one afternoon sitting on a bench on top of the small creek where he had been walking at the bottom, making his way back.

 

Just as Sana guessed, there was the older boy, his back was turned but it was clear that things weren’t going that great. The japanese shot Chaeyoung a text, saying he found Jeongyeon and was going to talk to him for a while, and asking him to tell the others the older korean was fine. This would be the first time Sana has any kind of serious conversation with Jeongyeon, they were usually playing around with each other. Sana made his way to the bench and just sat down, waiting for his cue.

 

Jeongyeon didn’t move, but he saw who it was from his peripheral. How was it that Minatozaki was the one to find him was a mystery, but he is glad that it wasn’t someone else. They keep still and silent, watching the small creek bathed in the moonlight, it was a pretty sight, until Jeongyeon gives up and sighs. Sana takes that as his chance to start the conversation.

 

“I know about this place by coincidence.” The japanese begins.

 

“I guess I’ll have to find myself somewhere else to be alone, then.” The taller boy shrugs.

 

“Or you could just talk to people.”

 

“Who sent you, exactly?” There’s bitterness in Jeongyeon’s voice.

 

“Nobody, to be honest. You know the path on the bottom?” Sana points in the general direction of said path. “It’s my way home from my dad’s office.”

 

“I’m guessing you’ve seen me here before, then?!”

 

“Sometime around that Mina and Nayeon engagement fiasco.” Both let out a dry chuckle. “You want to tell me what’s going on?”

 

“I’m sure you already know, seeing you came out at this hour.”

 

“Oh no, I came out years ago. Dad was too happy about taking me to buy skirts for some reason.”

 

This time Jeongyeon’s chuckle is real. Sana takes it as a win.

 

“Can’t have been worse than my sister taking Tzu and I to a shop for supplies.”

 

“Ooh, you win.” Sana shudders at the thought. “But you are still avoiding the subject.”

 

“That obvious, huh?”

 

“Yup. And you could never master lying to me, you know that.”

 

“Can’t argue with that.” Jeongyeon chuckles and hugs his friend.

 

Sana almost squeals at his success, but manages to catch himself on time. They remain like that for a while longer, the younger boy knew this time Jeongyeon was just gathering his thoughts before letting them out. Sana doesn’t mind, he’d wait for as long as needed.

 

“I just thought we had everything agreed upon, you know?!” Jeongyeon begins. “We had already settled on where we were going and how we wanted to spend our college life.”

 

“Plans change, Jeong.” Sana offers gently. “What matters is how you adapt to them, no?!”

 

“Maybe, but I can still be upset about sudden changes.”

 

“Of course you can! You are allowed to feel, hun.” 

 

“Thanks, sweetie.” Jeongyeon always loved how affectionate his friend is. “It seems grandma Chou sent Tzuyu’s application to a few universities in Taiwan and he got in. He said it’s a great university and it would be the best for his future if he went there.”

 

“I don’t even need to ask what you said about it, you are too good for this world, Jeongyeonnie.”

 

“Thanks, Sacchan, I did tell him to go, but I’m not okay with this happening like this.”

 

“I wouldn’t be either. But shouldn’t you be talking about this with, I don’t know, Tzuyu?”

 

“I don’t want to. I already said what I needed to say. He should take it and go, it’s what will be best for his future, and I don’t have any rights to stop him at all. I’m just the boyfriend, he can get another of those easily.” The older boy chokes a little.

 

“You really are an idiot.”

 

“I know.”

 

“And who are you to decide anything for him?” The japanese pinches the other’s leg. 

 

“Ow! I’m already sad here, why am I being beaten?”

 

“Because I love you both very much and it’s my job, as the only friend who knew where to find you, to give you a good scolding.”

 

“Should I stop cuddling you, then? Since I’m being told off and all.”

 

Sana’s answer is to hold Jeongyeon’s arms tighter around himself and snuggle closer, that draws a soft laugh from the older one, which he takes as another victory. All about the small steps with Minatozaki Sana. 

 

“But seriously, did you even give Tzu a chance to say anything before you left?”

 

“He didn’t have to say much. It’s clear he’s overjoyed that he got the chance to go to some prestigious school, and that he wanted to take it.”

 

“Did he tell you all of that, though?”

 

“He did.”

 

“Jeong.”

 

“I’m not lying here.” He really wasn’t. “Like I said, I’m not in any position to hold him back, it’s his future, he should go for the best chance he has.”

 

“I’ll believe you in this. But you really have to talk to him. You said it yourself, it’s his future, only he can tell you what he wants to do with it.”

 

“He can’t lie either, Sacchan. His eyes told everyone looking that he wanted those schools.”

 

“Then talk to him and figure out what he really wants.”

 

“I was going to propose, you know.” Sana looks up in surprise. “When we moved in together for college, I had been saving for a nice ring and all. I know his father’s family is loaded, but mine isn’t and I wanted to give him something nice he could show them with pride.” Jeongyeon sighs defeatedly. “Guess I won’t be doing that now.”

 

“You don’t know that. You don’t know if Tzu is really going.”

 

“If he doesn’t, I wouldn’t forgive myself. I know it would be his choice, but I still wouldn’t be at peace knowing he had a better chance and gave it up for whatever.”

 

“You are not a ‘whatever’, Joengyeonnie. You are possibly the sweetest, most loving, selfless and stupid human being I’ve met. Give yourself a bit more credit.”

 

“Thanks Sana, if only we both could have ended up together.”

 

“That would have been nice, but you and Tzutzu, and me and Chaengie are great. And we all deserve so much more than just nice.”

 

“Why do I always have a hard time disagreeing with you?”

 

“Because we fit each other too well, and I’m always right.”

 

“Can I crash at your place tonight? I still don’t want to talk and I’ll be forced to if I go anywhere else.”

 

“Only if you message everyone who has been trying to reach you and tell them you’re fine.”

 

“Deal.”

 

“Then come along, Chae was left alone on my cold bed.”

 

“Can’t leave our baby beast like that.” Jeongyeon gasps. 

 

Sana just chuckles, happy that he managed to coax the korean to, at least, not spend the night on that bench. He sent a text to his family chat (Chaeyoung had been added to that one too) to warn them Jeongyeon was coming over. Then he texted his boyfriend to not tell anyone about the impromptu sleepover, they would talk later, but to not let the information leak. All the while, Jeongyeon had been copying and pasting the same text to everyone who had tried to reach him, ignoring all the texts he had received.

 

‘I’m fine. Talk later.’