This could be it

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

Turned out, mrs Park decided to keep quiet and just eat her food. The fact that mr and mrs Bae were looking like they will slap a if anyone says anything might have had something to do with the silence, but who knows. Dahyun just enjoyed his very late lunch, making small talk with his parents and being thoroughly ignored by mrs Park, he didn’t care much at this point only wishing for time to go by a little faster so he could just go out and forget things a little. 

 

“Dad?” The younger Bae whispers when he sees the chance.

 

“Hmm?” Mr Bae answers discreetly.

 

“Can I talk to you and mom soon? In private?”

 

“I’m guessing you want this to be a secret talk?” The man whispers as well.

 

“If possible. I’ll be waiting in your room.”

 

“We’ll be right up.”

 

Then the boy finishes his food and gets up with the plates, to anyone else, it just seems like Dahyun was just headed to the kitchen to clean up after himself. Jihyo thought about trying to follow, but he was talking to Chaeyoung and grandpa Son, and couldn’t leave the conversation just like that. Making sure nobody was coming after him, the boy made his way upstairs to his parents’ room and closed the door behind him, it was unlikely that anyone would be looking for him there or at all, but no harm in being careful. He sat on the couch just out of view from anyone peeking through the door and waited. Not long after, mr and mrs Bae came in looking slightly worried.

 

“You two don’t have to worry that much.” Dahyun says as soon as he sees their faces.

 

“You asked to talk to us alone and in secret, of course we are going to worry!” Mrs Bae scolds, making her way to sit beside her son.

 

“Not to mention, you’ve been very quiet and looking pissed since you got back from the beach.” Mr Bae took the seat on the boy’s other side.

 

The Baes were a loving family, though not overly affectionate in their daily lives, they would always sit close and hold each other for deep conversations like this. Usually the sons in the middle being held by their parents, but if one parent was having a rough time, they would gladly invert their positions. 

 

“Well, they put Jihyo in the room I was staying at, so can I stay here?”

 

“Of course you can, son.” Mr Bae declares promptly. “But we are heading to Seoul soon.”

 

“Another thing I wanted to talk to you about.” Dahyun takes a steadying breath. “I’ll go back to Seoul with you. I don’t want to have this confrontation yet, and I can’t really trust anyone here to respect me enough to not try and force it.”

 

“Then I’ll get you a ticket. We’ll leave thursday afternoon, so you have to hang in there for another two and a half days.” Mrs Bae informs.

 

“Thanks, mom. I think I can survive.”

 

The couple hugs their youngest for a moment before the boy continues.

 

“Also, like I said, I have a date tonight.” The couple humms amusedly. “Is it okay if I don’t have a curfew today?”

 

“Well, son, you are in your last year of highschool and you’ve been with Jihyo since forever, I think it’s past the time you spread your wings a little, as long as you are responsible.”

 

“I just don’t want to be here today, mom.” Dahyun whines.

 

“And with that, I’m taking you to a pharmacy when I take you to your date.” Mr Bae chuckles.

 

“Why would we need to goto one?” The question is so innocent that the couple almost falls for it.

 

“Because I’m too young to be a grandma and you aren’t even getting married yet.” Mama Bae plays along.

 

“What? But I don’t intend on doing any of that?”

 

“I didn’t either, but then Joohyun happened.” Papa Bae reveals.

 

“I thought you both were in college when Hyunnie happened?”

 

“Oh, we were.” Mrs Bae remembers amusedly. “Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be listening to your father, though.”

 

“Fine, but Sana and Chaeng are coming too.”

 

“I thought you said date?” The mother laughs this time.

 

“It’s more of a luau party down by the beach. I have two girls waiting for me, but I thought they could enjoy coming along too.” Dahyun reveals. “Sacchan said Chaeng had a few episodes when they were in Japan, and the tension here today is through the roof. The girls said it was alright for me to bring them, and if one of you could pick them up later, even if I’m not heading back yet, that would be great.”

 

“Your father is taking you, and one of us can come pick you up whenever. If Chae needs to leave, just send us a message, or tell Sana to message us and we’ll come pick them up.”

 

“Thanks mom, dad.” The boy pulls his parents into a tight hug. “I’ll just go ahead and start getting ready. I want to do another toner in my hair before I have to shower and see if it gets a little darker.”

 

“Why don’t you just go to a salon?” Mr Bae asks.

 

“I will when we get back to Seoul, Juhyun noona already confirmed an appointment for this friday and she told me herself to just use a toner to darken it. Said it won’t get in the way of her dying it and would help hydrate the hair as well.” The boy explains.

 

“If Juhyun said so, go for it.” Mrs Bae concedes. “Speaking of which, I’m going to try and get an appointment with you so we can go together.”

 

“I want an appointment too! Ask them if Taehyun is free and get me a spot too.” Mr Bae whines as he gets up. “Now, I’ll tell Sana and Chae I’m taking you and getting the car ready. Have fun trying to not get your hair all spotted.”

 

“Will do, thanks dad!”

 

Mrs Bae just laughs, already in a call with the hair salon, trying to get them all a family afternoon together. Joohyun would be a little sulky when he hears about it, but he was staying in Jeju with his boyfriend to have all kinds of unrestrained fun, there wasn’t much he should be complaining about. Dahyun, indeed, proceeds to the bathroom, snatching an old tshirt and the second bottle of hair toner he had bought that morning. He had managed the first one to look uniform and it got a nice light brown to stick, now it was more about getting it a little darker to look more natural, he would also do some proper maintenance on his beard, it was too full and he wanted more of the stubble look than the full coverage look.

 

Dahyun had gone down to the kitchen after applying the toner to start preparing something to eat before they left, some were still in the back, talking around the fire, Sana and Chaeyoung were in the living room watching a movie with Jihyo, Joohyun and Seungwan, grandma Son was cooking something too, maybe something for dinner, it was hard to tell. The presence made the boy a bit uneasy, but he decided he cared for what these people thought as little as they cared for what he felt. The woman saw him enter and didn’t do much besides peek at him and keep doing what she was doing.

 

Dahyun started with looking at what was in the fridge, there were some meats left over from lunch, some good cheeses and he knew there was some bread laying around. He got a pan and started shredding the meat, fried some garlic and onion in butter and made a nice meat sauce, he cut the bread, stuffed it with cheese and the meat sauce and then stuck the sandwiches in the oven. Only when he was done did grandma Son decided to speak, he had seen her watching him the entire time.

 

“Why are you like this?” The woman asked.

 

“I don’t think I follow?” He doesn’t really look away from the oven.

 

“Why are you pretending he is not here? Why are you distant from everyone? Why-”

 

“Why am I so angry?” Dahyun interrupts. “Because everyone here decided I have no right to decide what I want for my own life. Because you all decided that my feelings and my right to feel them are below him, below the fact that he is sulky because of something he did.”

 

There is a pause where they just look at each other, grandma Son had never heard the boy sound so hurt and empty. But, before she could say anything, he turned the oven off and continued.

 

“Excuse me.”

 

Dahyun gives a small bow and leaves, he heads straight into the shower and proceeds to get ready, it was almost time to leave anyways. He had been texting the girls all day, going as far as sending them pictures of his outfit options and taking their input. In the end, he sprays just enough perfume for the girls to smell when he hugs them, but not enough to feel like he was trying too hard, puts some beard oil before brushing it carefully, and even decides to wear a watch, something he usually doesn’t just because he claims it’s too heavy. All in all, Bae Dahyun was a whole meal that evening.

 

Mrs Bae hugs her son as he leaves, reminding him of his wallet and phone, before proceeding to the bathroom herself. Might as well prepare a romantic bath for herself and her husband now that they didn’t have to worry about their youngest that much. The boy proceeds to Sana and Chaeyoung’s room, knocking for good measure and opening the door when he is invited in. Chaeyoung was panicking to choose between two shirts and Sana was finishing tying his shoes, patiently waiting for his boyfriend’s crisis to be over. Dahyun feels a nice warmth spread through his chest knowing his best friend found someone to take care of him like this.

 

“The blue one.” The pale boy suggests. “It matches Sacchan’s light blue one and folded sleeves always look better on you than the short ones.”

 

“Told you.” Sana chuckles lovingly. “Now, put it on so we can go and eat those wonderful sandwiches Dubs made us.”

 

“If they are still where I left them.” 

 

“I made Wannie promise he would guard them with his life.” The japanese chuckles. “They are there.”

 

“Well, then let’s get something to eat, already.”

 

Chaeyoung gumbles a little, but hurries up regardless. He too loved Dahyun’s sandwiches, and he knew he did take too long deciding his shirt. The group makes their way into the kitchen, Dahyun pulls out the tray and serves his friends, then himself, putting four other sandwiches into a tupperware, taking a photo and sending it to Seungwan to let him know there was something for the other three as well, but asking him to wait for them to leave first. It was a very nice meal, there were some chips in the cabinet and orange juice in the fridge, they were very satisfied when finished and Mr Bae had already passed them by, grabbing a sandwich from the tray and saying he would be waiting in the car.

 

“I’ll just bring this one up to mom and be right out.” The youngest Bae says, grabbing a serving and heading upstairs quickly.

 

Sana and Chaeyoung make a quick stop in the downstairs bathroom to brush their teeth (the Sons had disposable toothbrushes in all of their guest bathrooms) then head out. Our pale boy gives his mother thesnack and takes the time to brush his teeth as well, then grabs a mint strip for good measure and skips out the door quickly. In the car, Dahyun texts Seungwan that they were already out and he should grab their snack before someone finds it. Joohyun texts angrily, saying his little brother was a punk, that he should have said goodbye before leaving but that everything was forgiven because the food was delicious.

 

The stop at the drugstore was awkward, Dahyun was really not thinking about going there at all, but mr Bae insisted that it was better to be prepared, and it absolutely did not help that Sana and Chaeyoung were playing along and getting themselves some condoms. The pale boy’s saving grace was that the girls had chosen cargo shorts for him and he wouldn’t have to suspiciously stuff his pockets. What he didn’t know was that the girls had chosen those because he would be carrying their phones and wallets for the whole party because the fashion industry hates women and they were not about to spend a whole party worrying about purses.

 

Dahyun texted when they were about five minutes away, mostly just to let them know he was close. Choerry said they got held back because Olivia (one of the girls who were with the group) had fallen face first running from a squirrel and they had to get the nosebleed under control before leaving. When Dahyun revealed why they were waiting outside Sana laughed heartily and declared he already liked these people. Chaeyoung was still a bit nervous, but when the group did arrive, everyone was just so energetic he couldn’t help but allow himself to be taken away by their great energy.

 

“Here.” Lip hands the pale boy their things even before greeting him properly.

 

“Huh?” Dahyun is a bit confused, but takes the phones and wallets anyway.

 

“You didn’t think we chose cargo pants for you because they look cute, right?” The girl laughed. “You are going to keep these safe for Choerry and I.”

 

“Oh!” The boy understands. “Yes ma’am.” He puts them in his pockets before turning to the girls. “Can I get my hugs now?”

 

“You can get anything you want, y.” Choerry whispers just loud enough for the three of them.

 

Dahyun clears his throat at that and decides it’s better to introduce everyone.

 

“So, this is my bestest friend Chaeyoung, and this lovely gentleman is Sana, his boyfriend.” He points each one out as he introduces. “And these are Hyejoo, Chaewon, Taehyun, Beomgyu, Choerry and Jungeun.”

 

The couple greets the group and all head inside, Sana and Chaeyoung had already been told to call mr or mrs Bae if they wanted to leave without Dahyun, and everyone sets out to do their own thing. Dahyun and his girls take the dancefloor, Sana and Chaeyoung decide to roam around and see what’s up, Taehyun spots a keg and decides he has to do a keg stand because it would be awesome, Beomgyu goes along because he is nice like that, Hyejoo and Chaewon opt to mingle with other people because they definitely lost interest on the two boys, and aren’t about that life anymore.

 

It’s fun, the music is fairly good, the teens attending the party have all surrendered themselves to the festivities and most were very nice. There were a few incidents, but Lip said it was her uncle’s house and her cousin had a group of jocks ready to throw out those people. Dahyun would find Chaeyoung and Sana from time to time and make sure they were all safe and still having fun, the japanese was taking good care of the small cub, but our tofu still felt better if he checked on them himself. Plus, the girls found it extremely endearing and Dahyun was all about the seduction game. 

 

At some point through the evening, Choerry had enough of waiting and decided to drag the other two into a room upstairs and have some private fun. The rooms were locked, only accessible for a select few, Lip was family, ergo, she had a key. 

 

“Alright, we should go through some rules.” Lip says when she locks the door.

 

“Good point, it’s important we know how each other feels.” Choerry agrees.

 

“I’d like to say I… I don’t have much experience.” Dahyun says shyly.

 

“It’s alright, Hyun.” Choerry coos. “We won’t do anything if one of us is uncomfortable.”

 

“That brings me to my first rule.” Lip chimes in. “We are not going to force anyone into anything.”

 

“Agreed.”

“Agreed.”

 

“I’d like to ask for you two to help me out with this.” The boy asks.

 

“And we want you to tell us if you get uncomfortable about anything.” Choerry tells him firmly. “Don’t think you have to force yourself to do anything at all. You feel like stopping, we’ll stop. Alright?”

 

“Okay.” Comes the shy answer.

 

“On that note, can we get this party started and figure it out as we go?” Lip eyes the two hungrily.

 

Choerry opens her arms and Lip lets herself fall into them, both colliding with Dahyun, who was sitting slightly behind them. The girls share a hungry kiss, and the boy is a little lost as to what he should be doing, until Lip notices and puts his hands on their waist, then guides his lips to Choerry’s neck. They start slow but figure it out together from there, but let’s leave them with their privacy and check on the others. 

 

Sana and Chaeyoung were having a lot of fun since they arrived, they walked around, made some conversation here and there, and people watched. There were drinks available, but both stuck to soda, the snack table was quite nice as well, nothing compared to Dahyun’s sandwiches, but still a nice spread. Speaking of the pale boy, he would show up from time to time to check on them, both were grateful, but also pushing for him to give the girls more attention, until Chae saw the trio heading upstairs looking too touchy and too giggly.

 

“Are you alright, love?” Sana asks when he notices his boyfriend looking at nothing specific.

 

“Oh, I’m great.” Chaeyoung smiles. “Just saw Dubs being pulled upstairs and the girls looked determined.”

 

Both share a hearty laugh at that.

 

“Well, now that we got rid of him, tell me if you want to go somewhere else or head back home.”

 

“Sacchan, I love you, but I’m quite alright here. How about we hit the dance floor for a while longer and maybe we can head back home so we can have fun in our own bed.”

 

“You are getting naughty.” Sana smirks. “Don’t stop.”

 

And so they do. The couple has a great time dancing, and when they have exhausted themselves, they grab some food before asking mr Bae to get them. Mrs Bae was the one to drive down and her husband was sitting in the passenger’s seat with an ice pack on his left knee. Turns out, he thought it would be a good idea to play shuttlecock with the boys and his knees vehemently disagreed. The boys tell the couple Dahyun was still busy and Chaeyoung had sent him a message saying they were heading back and he should just have fun.

 

Mr Bae, as the co-pilot, also messages his son, telling him to not worry and call if he needs anything, but that he should just be a teen and have fun. It was Dahyun’s first time doing anything like this, and he had THE TALK with both parents, together and separately, then with Seungyeon, then with mr Chou, he knew what he was doing and had what he needed to be safe.