The spring cleaning

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

 

Sure, most schools would get their students to clean their classrooms in summer, right before they are off for summer break and go ahead for the next grade, leaving everything nice and tidy for the students coming next. But this is not most schools and they opted for making them clean in the middle of spring because the students wanted to enjoy the pool and wouldn’t really focus on much else. The kids were teens and their hormones were raging, no point in asking them to really focus on things they didn’t want to focus on.

 

Here we have Jihyo, Seungwan and Joohyun watching their classmates wreck their classroom, how did things go so wrong? Let me tell you about how Sana and the theatre girls are a terrible combination when anything that could remotely resemble anything else was involved. Meaning, they would make impromptu plays with just about anything they found while cleaning the classroom. Right now they were doing some odd spinoff of snow white with the globe they found half broken in the locker (don’t ask), Sana was snow white and Minnie the wolf, everything had too many ual innuendos to be appropriate.

 

The other kids were half participating in whatever play that would come up, and the other half trying to get things done at some point in the day. Jihyo had just resigned to do as much as he could and was now plotting with the couple to convince the half who was trying to get things done to just do what they could and leave the rest to the ones putting on the plays. They had gathered some following already and everyone knew once Minnie got invested in something she would see it through to the end.

 

“Okay, how about we clean the board, our desks and the teacher’s desk and head out for lunch?” Jihyo suggests to the students who were trying to actually do what they were supposed to be doing.

 

“That sounds like a good plan.” Park Sejeong, one of Nayeon’s teammates and a very funny guy agreed.

 

“How about them?” Another classmate points out.

 

“Just leave them be, they can clean the floor and put the tables back in place once they are done.” Joohyun decides.

 

“Alright, let’s get this done and get something to eat.” Jihyo says as he claps his hands. “I’m hungry and I’m not about to waste lunch time watching Sana and Minnie flirt.”

 

“That, we can all agree with.” One of the few girls not involved in the impromptu play says. “We see enough of them on the daily.”

 

They laugh at that and get to their share of the work. The performers only really had to dispose of their props, clean the floor and put all the furniture back in their proper place. Jihyo, Seungwan and Joohyun head for lunch and run into Mina, Dahyun and Jeongyeon, the three having just finished with their own classroom as well. The ones a year younger, namely Chaeyoung, Tzuyu and Yeri, were already halfway through their lunch once the group arrived in the cafeteria. On days like today, the group just ate with whomever was available, knowing it would get their schedules all jumbled and they would just take whatever grouping they could get.

 

“Hey grandpas!” Yeri greets when the older group approaches.

 

“You do realize we are only one year apart, right?” Mina muses.

 

“Your point?” The little beagle insists.

 

“You do know I’m the same age as you and just skipped a grade, right?” Dahyun questions once he settles down.

 

“I still don’t know where you both are getting at.”

 

“Can we please just eat?” Jihyo decides to end this suffering. “We all know it’s useless to try and reason with Yeri.”

 

“Thank you, Hyo.” Said boy beams. “I see you are a man of wisdom.”

 

Jihyo doesn’t really say anything else, he was too hungry to have his lunch in front of him and not eat it. Dahyun had also started eating, while Jeongyeon and Tzuyu had been invested in whatever their conversation was about. Joohyun and Seungwan passed by their table and waved at the ones already there, but headed outside for some sunlight and some alone time, they would do that most times. Mina said he messaged Nayeon that they had already headed out for lunch, but the older boy said something about class war and nobody really wanted to bother.

 

“Are we all ready for pool season?” Chaeyoung asks, seemingly out of nowhere.

 

“Oh, you aren’t remotely ready for Jihyo by the pool, I promise you that.” Mina, surprisingly, taunts.

 

“Just because I decided to grow my beard, doesn’t mean much has changed.” The former wrestler ponders.

 

“Oh, we are not talking about that.” Dahyun adds. “It is a very welcome addition, but not what we are referring to right now.”

 

“Dubs is right.” The penguin perks up. “I mean, most of the girls are going to have trouble handling you in a bathing suit, most guys are going to be very insecure as well.”

 

“Can anyone explain to me how a school issued swimming suit is going to get me to do all that?” Jihyo, you lovely innocent and self-clueless hunk.

 

“You are very lucky you are cute.” Dahyun decides to say, instead, and just focus on eating his lunch.

 

Jihyo is still very confused, it’s not like a simple swimming class would be a big deal, then again, last year at the pool opening day Jihyo had been cutting for the final matches and couldn’t really participate. Maybe he would understand why his wrestling matches had always been full and the cheer squad always showed up, greco-roman wasn’t one of the sports the girls would really make an effort to show up at all, but anytime they had a home match the girls were there. Jihyo had always just been grateful for the support, and made sure to bring the squad some home-made treats the next day.

 

Now, sure, Jihyo’s class was a bit of a pain with so many theatre kids, but the biggest pain in all teachers’ lives was Nayeon’s class, and the boy was surprisingly not among those who raised trouble. Sure, Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Jihyo were a nightmare when they had to work together, but that was just during the period they were forced to put their brains to work on the same project, immediately after they were done was like nothing had happened and the three were back to loving each other. No, class E (the teachers had to put at least another class between the trio, so Jihyo was class A, Jeongyeon class C and Nayeon class E) had most of the greco-roman boys and some of the cheerleaders.

 

Once the word was out that Jihyo had quit the team, the cheer squad had openly withdrawn their support for the team, which the other boys didn’t take so kindly. Coach Zhen’s boys believed they were the men among men and were certain the cheerleaders had been hyping up their matches because of them, poor, poor empty boys, their vanity would be laughable if not so pitiful. What happened was that the students had been doing a good job cleaning up, they were the first ones to finish, and their homeroom teacher had even been called over to check on their progress so they could be dismissed and all.

 

The trouble began when the class president went off to call their teacher, the Zhen boys approached Shuhua, asking why they weren’t present in the last two matches, which brought the entire cheer squad to rally behind their captain, followed by the basketball boys who followed when Nayeon stepped up, then the football players who followed Sooyoung and Seulgi. Some other frustrated guys joined the wrestlers, mostly because they had been turned down by one of the cheerleaders, or any of the girls in their class, really, there was not a single girl who didn’t step up for the squad in this. The greco-roman kids had about twelve guys on their side (between themselves and those who joined them), opposed to all the girls, seven football players and five basketball players.

 

“Alright, what is happening here?” Their homeroom teacher asked as soon as she stepped into the class.

 

At that exact moment, Nayeon, Sooyoung and Seulgi were being grabbed by their shirts, courtesy of the Zhen kids, and about to be punched. Mrs Choi was, thankfully, a very reasonable woman, and she witnessed the greco-roman club fiasco a while back as well, she was expecting the problem to be with the team again. Seunghee, as many other girls, was filming everything from the moment the boys yelled for Shuhua, she caught absolutely everything from the intimidation, to the basketball and football boys stepping between the girls and the other guys, to the three still being held asking them to stop and walk away to the almost fight.

 

Mrs Choi dismissed the class because they were done for the day, but told the boys causing havoc, the three who were threatened, Shuhua who was the one directly involved and Seunghee who provided the video evidence. The other girls gathered their things and headed out, the other players stayed until they had all left to make sure the boys who remained behind wouldn’t try anything. Once out of class, the cheer squad called for an emergency meeting, despite most being in the same class, some were still missing, and spread a few videos of the Zhen boys being pitiful and demanding they date them because…… Yeah, there was really no reason for their demands.

 

That was the last straw, the principal decided the greco-roman team would be dissolved and the kids would have to wait for the next year to apply to any other sports assembly if they wanted to play anything, just like anyone else. Coach Zhen was already under investigation, and got suspended once he barged into the office demanding that the principal went back on his decision. The boys were obviously sent to detention for the trouble, Shuhua, along with Nayeon, Sooyoung and Seulgi were given a rest day and told to go to the nurse’s office to get checked before heading home.