Fun fishing with Jihyo, Sana and Tzuyu

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

If there was something like a tradition among our favorite boys, it was the fishing Jihyo, Sana and Tzuyu seemed to have. Everytime, after a competition day, it doesn't matter if they participated or not, the three friends would go out fishing the next morning, usually sunday mornings. Their friends were always curious about it, Nayeon swore it was the most boring thing he had experienced in his life, and doubted anything could top it, Mina was the only one who believed him right away and that was his saving grace.

 

Today, we have our little fishermen and Chaeyoung and Yerim as their followers in this very fun (totally boring) morning. They left at four, so they could be in the water before five, which was already something that had the trouble duo complaining, the group had slept over at Tzuyu’s house, so Mr Chou could drive them the next morning (it was his turn). That meant Jeongyeon and Dahyun would have slept there as well, but they weren’t about to be woken up at four on a sunday, Seulgi, bless his heart, had been warned, but said he would follow his boyfriend anyways. 

 

Our bear cub wasn’t going to actually get on the boat and head into the lake with the boys, but he did go along, bringing a small tent (those you just have to throw them and they got up on their own) a sleeping bag and a basket full of food and drinks, he bid the crew goodbye and found a small clear space under a big tree, tossed the tent and dove in, to never be seen again…… Until the other boys were back, that is. Chaeyoung obviously went because of Sana, and Yeri was there because best friends he guessed. The trio were all sporting full gear, each in a different color, but all matching, it was really the exact same for the three just different colors and sizes (it was cute), but our visiting duo just had their shorts and tank tops on, with a pair of huge hay hats Chaeyoung’s grandpa forced them to take.

 

The food and drinks were prepared by mrs Chou, she handed them three coolers filled to the brim, and another smaller one that was left with Seulgi. The huge hats turned out to be what saved the guests from a heatstroke, Jihyo did tell them to be prepared, what to bring and what to wear, but Chaeyoung was too focused on spending the day with Sana, and Yeri couldn’t care less, he was going because Chae asked him to and he was a great friend, Seulgi couldn’t be convinced to get on the boat, however, he agreed to accompany them, as long as he got to sleep to his heart’s content. Sana advised him to get a tent, offering his own if the bear didn’t, and get some sleep by the lakeside, enjoying the cool breeze and the birds singing.

 

On the boat, our fishermen were already very well acquainted to all the fishing club staff (they came over a lot), the captain was pleased to see new faces and lured the troublemakers with going to the cabin and letting them hold the boat’s wheel wearing his hat for pictures and explaining everything on the panel, the boys were enamoured by the radar and got distracted enough looking at it for the rest of the trip. They sailed to the middle of the lake, where the bigger fish were usually found, Sana had spent most of his time switching the grip on his rod, he noticed it could slip and he might lose the whole thing if the fish tugged a little stronger.

 

Jihyo was checking the bait and distributing it equally for everyone, before they got to where he would start baiting the waters. Tzuyu busied himself with making sure the fishing chairs on the boat were safe, they had an accident on their third trip involving a not-well-fixed chair, a big fish and a distracted Jihyo that ended very badly and nobody wanted a repeat of that. Sana had checked on their friends at the cabin and found them arguing about what they were seeing on the radar (it was rocks) and just left them there. It was about a thirty-minute ride until the point they were going today, smaller fish than they were used to, but big enough to give Yeri and Chaeyoung a challenge.

 

Once there, Jihyo helped Yeri and Sana helped Chaeyoung with their rental rods, Tzuyu gave them a bait bucket to share and told them how to use the chairs, before going off to do his own thing. Jihyo and Sana showed the boys how to cast their lines and, once they got it, went to their own places as well. The captain had anchored the boat and told them he would be napping until it was time to return, the more experienced boys put their earphones on and drifted off with the music, while Yeri started complaining it was boring within five minutes, Chaeyoung was adamant on enjoying the experience.

 

“This is boring, why did you bring us here?” Yerim complains for the nth time.

 

“Because I’m trying to shoot my shot and you are helping a brother out.” Chaeyoung shrugs.

 

“I’m rethinking this ‘helping a brother out’ thing.”

 

“Look, they are among the top ten smartest people in school, they also are brilliant in sports and three of the best people we know.” The cub whisper-shouts, looking over his shoulder to make sure he wasn’t heard (he wasn’t). “Don’t you think this ritual of theirs could help us with our own grades?”

 

“You kind of got a point.” Yeri whispers back. “If it brings my grades up, I’m game.”

 

“Great, now let’s do this thing.”

 

Yerim gets his earphones plugged as well, and Chaeyoung decides to just enjoy the sounds of nature for now, this kind of calm couldn’t be found easily in the city. It wasn’t long until the sun started rising, that’s when the two inexperienced boys started feeling the effects of not having enough sleep and began nodding off. Chaeyoung was about to get some real sleep when his rod started tugging, and the boy was thankful he listened to Tzuyu and fastened the belt on his chair. 

 

“What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?” The tiger shouted desperately.

 

“Calm down and grab your rod first.” Jihyo commanded, getting up to help. “Don’t pull yet, though. Just hold it firmly and let the fish hook properly.”

 

“Let what do what now?” 

 

“Just hold it and make sure it isn’t pulled in.” Sana intervenes, managing to calm the younger boy down.

 

Jihyo smiles and goes back to his own place, he had been working his own catch when Chaeyoung started panicking. Yeri was very amused but doing a great job pretending to not be watching.

 

“Okay, what now?” 

 

“Just wait a bit, it will start tugging when the fish is properly caught, just hold on until then.”

 

“Why not just pull it?”

 

“Because if you pull right now, the fish will break loose. Let it get itself caught, you cast your bait, now let it bite and hook itself for you.” The japanese says with a mysterious smirk playing on his lips.

 

Yeri couldn’t help but snort at that, he could pretend to be uninterested, but this was just too good, he just saw that Chaeyoung was being handled good and didn’t even notice it, despite being told exactly what was happening. Jihyo and Tzuyu were chuckling silently, they knew Sana’s plan and had been told about it before, it was easier to keep themselves silent.

 

“Okay.” The cub says enthusiastically, not noticing what just happened. “What’s so funny, Yerm?”

 

“Oh, don’t mind me. I’m just thinking of Seulgi.”

 

The other just agrees and returns to his task, it wasn’t completely a lie, Yeri was thinking of Seulgi all the time, but that didn’t mean other things couldn’t cross his mind every now and then.

 

“Oh, it’s tugging now!”

 

“Good.” Sana intervenes in the excitement. “Now you are going to start reeling it in. So, pull your rod to you, make it an arch backwards, make sure the top is coming back too. Then move it forward again while reeling it in”

 

Chaeyoung grunts but pulls it obediently, Sana helps guiding the rod so it moves appropriately. In the meantime, Yeri seemed to have gotten a bite too, and Tzuyu was the one who moved to help him. Jihyo was busy gutting the fish they had caught before putting them on the ice cooler, Sana had hooked one while he was helping and the wrestler had pulled it for him.

 

“Now, wait a bit and then repeat. It’s thrashing, wait until it starts tugging again before you pull it a bit more.”

 

“I think I got it.” 

 

“I’m here to help, don’t worry.”

 

“This is kind of fun!” Yeri remarks beside them, having gotten the hang of how to catch a fish.

 

“We know.” Tzuyu answers amusedly.

 

“I might join your group by the end of this.” 

 

“We’ll see about that when we get back, Yerm.” The taiwanese laughed, still focusing on the fish. “But pay attention.”

 

“I’m paying attention.” Yeri grunts in protest, but is unable to complain more as the fish seems to be getting stronger. “Is it normal for them to get this much stronger?”

 

“The closer it gets, the harder it is to pull them out.” Jihyo quips, amusement also very present in his voice.

 

“Now I’m starting to think I should start going to the gym with Seul.”

 

“That you should, and don’t forget to bring this midget with you.” Tzuyu answered as flat as he could, despite wanting to laugh.

 

“HEY!” Both the struggling boys scolded.

 

The three fishermen just laughed loudly, now having moved to just observe, as they had gotten the idea of what to do and were left to it. Jihyo had finished his task and threw the guts in the water, it served as bait too, the other two saw that Yeri and Chaeyoung understood what to do and were now just observing in case their help was needed. The beginner duo struggled for a good while, but managed to pull in their catch, Jihyo told them how to get the fish out of the hook and Sana called them over to teach them how to gut them.

 

“Why do you gut them here?” Yeri was really curious.

 

“Well, we usually stay here until lunch, sometimes all day.” Tzuyu started explaining.

 

“Today we’ll just stay until lunch, don’t worry.” Jihyo intervenes before the complaint leaves their lips.

 

“As I was saying, we stay here for a good while, and despite putting them in ice, the guts are the first things to go bad, so Cap taught us to just throw them out as soon as we pull the fish out of the water.”

 

“So you guys don’t know why, is what I’m hearing.” Chaeyoung taunts.

 

“Trully, we kept doing it because we can save on bait to throw in the water.” Jihyo concludes simply.

 

“Alright, let’s get these tripes out, then.” Yeri hypes up, earning some winces.

 

Sana goes back to talking them through the process, while the other two go back to readying their rods to cast again. They return just before midday, with two very excited beginners, Seulgi smiles warmly and asks them how it went, listening intently to everything they were telling him. They just thank the captain, divide the items they had to carry back, luckily Seulgi had already packed his things, and head out to the parking lot to wait for mr Chou, Tzuyu had messaged him when they started heading back, but the trip from his house to the fishing club took a bit longer.

 

Needless to say, the fishing group got two more enthusiasts, they wouldn’t go as often as the older trio did, but often enough to start getting their own gear soon.