How to prevent a meltdown, and there is a game too

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

 

Nayeon was, by nature, teatrical. Everyone knew it, he knew it himself, and each one had their own way of handling him. From time to time, however, he would fall into some dark patches and some special skill was required to get him out of there. Fortunately for mama and papa Im, Mina seemed to have this special talent as a dormant skill, the boy would calm their son down without much effort at all, sometimes without even noticing.

 

Now, the fact that Mina had an all day recital the day of Nayeon’s first game of the season had the Im family and all their friends rather annoyed with an specific Im Nayeon, the most obnoxious child the world has ever seen whenever he put his mind to it. And the first game was always a day that he put all his efforts into it. Now, Seungyeon had managed to tame him a little, the woman also had some talent, but the peace and quiet did come to an end once Jeongyeon’s race was over and they had a couple of hours to kill before Nayeon had to go and meet with the team for their pre-game rituals.

 

Mina was still a ways away from arriving, and Jihyo had still not arrived from his own competition. And Jeongyeon had gone into the locker room and told them he would take a while to come back, they knew he needed time to make sure he wouldn't pull a muscle or something. So, here we have a lot of parents who had already tuned out their kids, and were drinking and talking among themselves, the Yoo sisters who had escaped somewhere, and our favorite boys who were really trying to not strangle Nayeon.

 

The groups had already been reunited, and were just hanging around the court waiting to be allowed in. Our basketballer had started pacing and rambling when a sure and firm strike found his head, a loud yelp and a groan follows. Simultaneously, a booming ‘shut up’ and a melodical laugh are the things that draw everyone’s attention. Jihyo had arrived from his talk with the opposing coach (they had left without him when he asked them to go ahead) and saw his dear friend was starting to spiral. The wrestler shot the danseur a message telling him where to go when he arrived and went to get Nayeon to quiet down, if their friends’ faces were anything to go by, someone was about to punch him out.

 

“What was that for?” Nayeon whines as he rubs his head.

 

“That was for bothering everyone here. No! You don’t speak. Quiet down and stop making everyone uneasy.” Jihyo scolds.

 

Nayeon does stop, not because of the scolding, but because Jihyo is looking dashing with his fancy clothes and completely adorable with his glasses and looking angry and all. Nobody really knows how, but Nayeon is always absolutely right whenever he claims Jihyo is being adorable, and everyone joins in his impromptu photoshoot. The wrestler pretended to complain, but he complied happily just to see his old friend relax a little until Mina got there and helped ease his boyfriend. Not that Nayeon didn’t put his trust on his team and their hard work, but to be the very first match of the season, it got the boy nervous about how they will perform.

 

Who knows how long it was that the impromptu photoshoot lasted (Sujin knew, but she wasn’t about to say anything) when Mina finally arrived. The boy was naturally ethereal, but wearing his suit and with his hair combed back he was looking fine. Nayeon immediately stopped in his tracks, and Jihyo was pretty sure he saw some drool dripping on the floor, not that the bunny would ever confirm it. To everyone’s relief, Mina said he’d take it from there and moved to drag his boyfriend away after he had properly greeted everyone. The fact that Nayeon was still stunned helped a lot.

 

“Wha- Wh- Ho- What?” Nayeon stammers when he feels a gentle press of lips against his cheek.

 

“Hello.” Mina giggles.

 

“Hi.”

 

“How are you feeling?”

 

“What?”

 

“You already said that.” The danseur laughs.

 

“I-”

 

“A certain pokemon told me you weren’t feeling well?” Mina cuts the rambling he knew was coming.

 

Nayeon blushes and whines about whatever, he always mumbled while whining, and Mina giggles again. The older boy was always very cute in whatever reactions he had, the thing about Nayeon is that he was adamant that he was cool and a badass, when really he was just a big fluffy ball of cute. Mina never got bored with his boyfriend, but right now, he knew Nayeon was nervous, he always doubted himself when competition began, he might sound self confident and obnoxious, but that was a front for those who didn’t bother prying.

 

“Remind me to kick Jihyo’s …..” The penguin merely raises an eyebrow. “After he comes out of competition shape.”

 

“That’s what I thought.” Mina chuckles. “And we both know Jihyo can kill you without breaking a sweat. Stop fooling yourself saying you could take him on.”

 

“I’m allowed to have dreams!”

 

“Sure, but let’s not talk about them when they are this ridiculous.”

 

“Is this ‘be mean to Nayeon’ day?” He huffs. “First Jeong tells me to go away because I was annoying him, then Dubs, Chaeng and Yeri went somewhere they didn’t want to mention and didn’t even tell anyone. Then Seulgi and Joonie said they had something to take care of with Soongie and told us not to follow them. And then Jihyo came and hit me in the head and it’s still hurting.” Nayeon finishes his rant and pouts.

 

Mina chuckled, finding it adorable, despite being a bit annoying, he had to be honest here, but he signed up for this, and Nayeon was pretty easy to handle, most people just didn’t have the patience to work past the initial whining. The older boy was really the sweetest, and sometimes much like this one, just needed to be held and distracted a little before he settled down and apologised for being troublesome. And that’s what Mina proceeded to do, they had arrived at their favorite tree, he pulled Nayeon down with him and held the older boy close, they stayed there as long as it was needed.

 

“Your phone is ringing.” The basketballer says, they’d been there for a while now.

 

“I’m busy.” Mina answers simply, not letting go.

 

“It could be important.”

 

“Not as important as this.” To prove a point, the penguin kisses his boyfriend and snuggles closer.

 

“Mina, just get it, please. It’s not stopping.”

 

“Fine.” Mina huffs and grabs his phone, not even checking the caller id. “This better be very important.” He hisses into the speaker.

 

“You know you could just have Yeonnie over, or go to his house and spend the rest of the weekend together, right?!” Mrs Myoui laughs at her son.

 

“I know, but all the time won’t be enough.” The boy mumbles. “What’s wrong, mom?”

 

“Nothing’s wrong, but you two should start heading back. It’s almost time for Yeonnie to go in.”

 

“Fine.” Mina agrees with a pout, which Nayeon kisses right away. “Be right there.”

 

“And fix yourselves before you get here, Jeongyeon is now out of distractions.”

 

“Will do. Bye mom.”

 

And they hang up. Mina looks a little saddened about having to end their private time together. Nayeon, however, looks very amused at that, giggling as he gets up and pulls the younger boy up with him. He doesn’t forget to kiss Mina deeply, both smiling into it. 

 

“Come on, I’m guessing we are supposed to go back.”

 

“But I don’t want to go back yet.” Mina stomps his feet in place, pouting again.

 

“I’ll make you a deal.” That gets the other interested, Nayeon just laughs. “We go now, and you are adorable for the rest of the evening, then we can spend the rest of the weekend at your place.”

 

“Why my place?” 

 

They had spent a lot of time on each others’ houses, even before being an official couple, but there was no denying that Nayeon’s bed was the more comfortable, Mina had an orthopedic mattress and, despite doing wonders for their backs, wasn’t the best to cuddle in.

 

“Because, my love, I heard all the parents setting up an outing tonight, and your parents are going back to my house when they come back. I think they are ubering with mom and dad.”

 

“Oh, we are definitely going to be at my place, then.”

 

“That’s what I thought. Now, come on, we can cuddle all we want later.”

 

“Alright, but you have to promise.”

 

“I promise I’ll hold you tight until monday.”

 

“Then let’s go.”

 

They head back, then. Mina did remember to check his boyfriend and asked him to do the same, and they just had a bit of dried leaves on their pants from sitting on the ground, nothing much. Jeongyeon looked very disappointed at that, which got Jihyo and Joohyun cackling like madmen and the other boys just very amused, but trying to hold themselves back, because Jeongyeon was a very sore loser whenever it came to their friend group. Competitions? Nah, they prepared, trained to be in their best conditions, trusted their hard work and, those who had them, trusted their teammates to perform just as well. But bickering with their friends, that was another thing entirely.

 

The main reason for Jeongyeon being especially bitter towards the Hyun brothers, Jihyo, Sooyoung and Seulgi was mainly facial hair, but that’s a tale for another time. Back to the order of business, Nayeon was about to have the most stressful game of the season and they were there to support him, well, most of them. But Sooyoung wasn’t fairing that well either, and they knew his boys were going to stay with him until it was time for the boy to leave.

 

Nayeon’s game went more than fine, though. They won by eighteen points, and now the team was more relieved, the opening game was always pressure on the teams participating in it.