Science of affection

Come through

Eric woke up to the sound of a blaring alarm clock, he rubbed his eyes and stretched his arms before turning his head, it suddenly hit him. He was barely clothed, he reeked of alcohol and this was not his bedroom. Hyesung walked into the room in an oversized hoodie, pantsless and hair dripping with water. "Good morning Dr. Mun, I suggest you take a shower and get changed quickly as we have to be at the hospital in an hour", He greeted while ruffling a white towel on his head. Eric nodded and crawled out of bed, his back was killing him. He found a set of clothes that were laying on top of the washroom counter, "I hope you don't mind, it's the only items of clothing I have that might fit you", Hyesung pointed towards the red hoodie and black sweat pants. "It's fine, Thank you Dr. Jung", Eric closed the door. The pair had now reverted to calling each other's formal titles. As Eric took a hot shower he stood under the running water letting it hit his face and wash away his migraine. Eric took some shampoo into his hand and formed a lather, as he watched the bubbles form, the scene of last nights event hit him. "I was the bar, she gave me this cocktail, I went home and-", Eric has thought to himself out loud and he had an epiphany, "I went to Hyesungs house to explain myself and we-", Eric was in the middle of washing his hair when he gasped, he choked on the water that he unintentionally inhaled. "Are you okay?!", Hyesung shouted from the other side of the door. "Uhm, yeah", Eric nervously replied, he slapped the side of his head a few times trying to forget the scene in his head. 
Hyesung was busy in the kitchen, he pulled out a loaf of bread and some cheese. Eric stepped out fully clothed, he held his dirty laundry and stuffed it into a grocery bag he saw lying around in the kitchen. Hyesung placed a cup of coffee and a slightly burnt grilled cheese in front of him, "Eat up, I have a consult at 9:30. I have to be back in time to prep", Hyesung said as he took a bite out of his sandwich. Eric took a bite of his and before entering his mouth he only held it an inch away from his face and he smelt it, as usual instead of using butter or cooking oil, Hyesung had decided he was going to toast his bread with sesame oil. Eric smirked as he chewed, he had missed the sesame orientated dishes that Hyesung used to cook for him. When the pair finished Eric placed the plates into the dishwasher and went to put on his shoes, he watched as Hyesung pulled on his windbreaker and couldn't help, but smile. 

Junjin was deep asleep when he heard a ruckus coming from the kitchen, "Jackson! Podo!" he called out groggily, he watched as the two canines ran into his bedroom, "Did you two protect Andy well last night?" he whispered to them as if he understood the question Jackson was nodding his head while Podo was playing with Junjins shirt. Andy stepped into the room wearing the t-shirt and shorts that Junjin left for him in the bedroom. "Good morning Junjin, did I wake you up? I'm sorry if I was being noisy. Uhm, I made breakfast, wash up and come out", Andy smiled, Junjin smiled back and placed the puppies down. 
Junjin was now in the kitchen, his kitchen counter now filled up. "You didn't have a lot of ingredients in your fridge so I went down to the convenience store to buy some. I made rolled omelette, and kimbap, I also made some side dishes too", Andy beamed. "Wow, Andy-ah, this all looks amazing", Junjin said in amazement, he took a bite of the omelette and then a piece of the kimbap. Tears were welling up in his eyes, Andy saw and he panicked, "was Junjin allergic to the ingredients, did it taste that bad?", Andy thought to himself. "What? What!? Does it taste weird?" Andy asked as he tasted a kimbap for himself. Junjin shook his head, "No, it's just been a long time since I've had home-cooked food that tasted this delicious", Junjin laughed as he wiped his tears with his sleeve. Andy sighed in relief and watch as the other man stuff his face with food, "Eat slowly Junjin-ah you're gonna choke", Andy advised him as he slid him a glass of orange juice. "I also picked up some treats while I was there for Jackson and Podo, they were angels last night," Andy said as he knelt to offer the puppies some snacks. They Andys hand clean. "Thank you for breakfast Andy", Junjin said as he cleaned up the dishes. "It's the least that I can do, thank you again for letting me stay", Andy placed a hand on Junjins shoulder, Junjin turned his head to look directly into Andys eyes and they remained like that for a few more seconds. Andy quickly looked away, "I uhm, we should uhm, get to the hospital now", Andy stepped away from the kitchen to change back into his clothes from last night. Junjin nodded and finished his glass of juice before treading back into his bedroom. 

Minwoo just got off from his graveyard shift with Kyesang. Kyesang went home to sleep and as for Minwoo, he drove 30 minutes to Gangnam to go early morning shopping. Minwoo browsed through a few brand name stores and picked up some new items of clothing. On his way to grab a coffee, he suddenly remembered that he needed to stop by the adult store. Minwoo pulled out his phone to locate the nearest one, it was about 250 metres from his location. Minwoo walked in and was surrounded by adult toys, he browsed through his options and found the perfect costume. After he left the store he made his way to lotte mart and picked up groceries, while he was at it he found the perfect bottle for Hyesung, it was lilac purple, and offered 18-hour insulation, perfect for the long shifts.

Back at the hospital, Kyesang was examining a man that came in with a broken wrist, "Okay, we are going to get an Xray and then we will give you a brace support to wear for the next 3-5 weeks, come back bi-weekly for check-ups, it's nothing serious so it should not require surgery." Kyesang explained. 
Dongwan sitting in the nurse's station with his cheek on his palm his eyes closed. Kyesang caught a glance at his friend and laughed as the other man was now drooling all over the charts on the desk. "Wannie ah, go home, the others are on their way," Kyesang whispered to Dongwan as he placed a hand on his shoulders. "Nurse, how long has Dr. Kim been working?" Kyesang questioned, "He was here when I started last night, I think it should be nearing 30ish hours now, he told the others to go home and rest, but he doesn't rest himself, aigoo" she sighed. Kyesang shook his head and attempted to carry Dongwan to the lounge when paramedics rushed into the ER, the ruckus waking Dongwan from his brief nap, "We were on our way to the main hospital, but the patient suddenly went tachycardic, he has a through and through puncture to the thigh, she has a broken fibula that has punctured through the skin", explained the EMR. Kyesang ran over to bed 2 and Dongwan to bed one. "He has a ruptured femoral artery, prepare 3 bags of O positive and prepare an OR", Dongwan shouted to the nurse. "I need an Orthoconsult, page Dr. Lee" Kyesang shouted, Suddenly Dongwans patient was coding, he jumped on top of the gurney and began chest compressions, "Push one of Epi!" he shouted, after a minute her pulse returned. Dongwan stepped off the bed sweat dripping from his forehead, his scrubs were now drenched in sweat. The OR team pushed the two patients into the OR and prepped for surgery. Kyesang was letting his 4th-year residents take charge of the surgery as Dongwan was in no condition to operate. Minwoo came running down the corridors after 1 hour of sleep, he got there quickly as he lived the closest. After going over the charts Minwoo headed into the ER. Dongwan was checking up on a patient from last night, he was adjusting the IV drip when his vision suddenly blurred, he felt like the room was spinning, it was only for a brief second. He grabbed onto the handle of the gurney to collect himself. Kyesang saw and walked over to him, "Wan-ah, I'm telling you, go take a rest, please." Kyesang nagged, "No, I will later, I'm fine Kyesang", he flung away the other man's arm and walked towards the nurse's station. 
Eric and Hyesung changed into their scrubs and coat. They made their way into the OR and saw Dongwan pacing back and forth between patients and Kyesang was bandaging a patient's arm while looking at Dongwan. Eric walked towards a patient that got admitted for a persistent headache and began a cranial nerve exam. Hyesung was signing off forms around the nurse's station while subtly staring at Eric. 
"So I'm guessing the two of you are fine now?" Kyesang asked as he took off his gloves. "I don't know what to feel at the moment", Hyesung muttered, Kyesang patted him on the back, "It's alright" Kyesang teased. 
Dongwan suddenly grabbed the wall, his head throbbed, the room was spinning, he heard someone call out his name, but he couldn't make out who it was. Kyesang ran towards Dongwan when he saw the man suddenly collapse in front of him. "Wan-ah! Wannie, look at me, hey!" he was spalling Dongwans cheek, the man was unresponsive. Eric helped to move him onto a bed, Kyesang took the stethoscope around his neck and listened to Dongwans chest sounds, "He's sleep-deprived and dehydrated", Kyesang sighed as he started a central line and hung the IV bag. Minwoo was seen running into the ER, he had just finished his surgery when he heard that Dongwan had collapsed. Minwoo went over his charts and sighed in relief as it was nothing major. "You idiot", Minwoo said as he flicked Dongwan's forehead and watched as the man slept. 
Andy had shortly arrived with Junjin, "Andy-ah, can you come to see me in my office when you have a moment", Kyesang asked. "Sure I have a moment now", he said as he walked into the office with Kyesang. "Andy-ah, I have to give it to you, you have a high as well pain tolerance. You have a fractured coracoid process, do not place weight on your shoulder, try not to use the arm, avoid lifting anything heavy and it should heal itself within a month." Kyesang explained. Andy smiled and nodded, "Anything else Hyung?" Andy asked. Kyesang shook his head and watched as Andy left the room. Andy went to check up on his patients in the Cardio department. "Young man, what is bothering you?", an elderly patient asked Andy, "Nothing halabeoji" Andy shook his head, the elderly man then gestured for Andy to take a seat on his bed, "Young man, tell me, what is bothering you?" he asked again. Andy looked him in the eyes and sat at the edge of the bed, "There's an acquaintance, no uhm, a friend, I've admired him for a while now, I think he likes me as a friend, I feel different around him, I feel wanted, I feel safe, my heart pounds like crazy when he is near, I don't know what to do. My life is a mess and I don't want to drag him into it." Andy sighed. Grandpa chuckled, "Aigoo, young man, listen to me, if he is the one then there is nothing that you can do to avoid the inevitable, listen to what your heart is telling you, it's not rocket science", Grandpa laughed, Andy chuckled along with him and nodded.