Back to Normal

Come through

Authors note: It's been a crazy month due to the situation right now, so I'm sorry for the delay in updating. Warning that there is homophobia in this chapter and if you wish to you can skip this chapter entirely as it's mostly filler and will not affect the main storyline. 


It's been 2 months. Things have finally stabilized at the hospital, Dongwan had requested to move down from his director position and had nominated Taehak to take over, it was a unanimous decision. With Dongwan back as head of emergency medicine the ER workload had also lessened, Junjin is now in his last year of residency and will be seeing the board at the end of August for an assessment to move up to pediatric fellowship, Hyesung was allowing him to lead every case that comes in to better prepare him. Eric had definitely seen better days, the main branch and the university had appointed a new Neuro research foundation and had appointed a team to oversee all activities, among Seoul's top 3 Neurosurgeons there was Eric, no one from the team had heard of him before and he doesn't blame them, he liked being unknown, Kyesang used to say that if people discovered Erics set of skills that they'd steal him from them. Minwoo has taken in some new interns and was helping them move into the dorm. 


April in the of the city was quiet, the cold winds from winter still remained but accompanied with light pink cherry blossoms that had bloomed all over the city. It was Andys day off and he was taking Podo and Jackson from a walk at the park, in all honesty, it was more like they were walking him. Junjin loved to buy matching puppy outfits for them, but it was always a war to put it on, except for this morning. 
Andy was still in the middle of brushing his teeth as he poured himself a glass of milk, Jackson heard the fridge door closing and scurried to Andys side. He took the toothbrush out of his mouth and greeted, "Good morning Jackson, did you sleep well? You did, didn't you? The weather is very nice today, how about we go for a stroll? Would you like that? Just you, me and Podo, Okay?" Jackson quickly ran off and came back with Podo, a tennis ball in his mouth. "I'm guessing that's a yes" Andy laughed. As he was getting himself dressed he saw the orange hoodies that Junjin purchased for Pojack, he knew that they hated wearing clothes, but he thought he'd give it a shot. He sat on the sofa and watched as Podo stepped further and further away from Andy, she definitely saw the piece of clothing. "Jackson, come here!" Andy had a wide grin across his face, Podo was waving her paw over to Jackson as if she was trying to tell him that it was a trap, Jackson calmly sat on Andys lap, Andy allowed him to sniff the hoodie first to assure him that he means no harm, he then pulled it over him with ease, "Huh? That was easy" Jackson then jumped off of Andys lap and headed towards Podo, he was walking in a circle around her to flaunt his new clothes, he was trying to tell her that it wasn't so bad. "Podo~" Andy flirtatiously called out, she hesitated, but Jackson nudged her towards Andys direction, she was fidgeting on his lap, but And managed to pull the hoodie over and when he saw the complete look he rolled over to his side, causing Podo to jump off, "Omo-ya! Our Podo is so cute!" Jackson came running over with the leash in his mouth. 


A burn patient was rushed into the hospital, the emergency responders were relaying the status to Dongwan, "47-year-old male convenience store worker, 2nd degree burns across the right arm and upper right shoulder, he was conscious when we arrived on the scene, but lost consciousness during transport, ampu-bagging and started a central line." 
"Nurse, I need a burn kit, changed the normal saline drip to warm saline to avoid the patient going into shock, and prepare 70g of Silvadene ointment with menthol I also need you to page Dr. Lee of ortho, there seems to be a collarbone fracture" 
Dongwan ran over to access the patient, he checks the vital signs and wounds, because their hospital is only a branch hospital they're not fully equipped to deal with burn patients, "Hey, you paged me?" Minwoo came running to his side, "Yeah, hairline fracture on the collarbone and is applying excessive pressure on the arterial vein, the problem is I don't know if you have enough time to operate before it becomes necrosis and we'll have to amputate the arm."
Minwoo lifted the gauze and placed pressure on the arm and elbow to access tendon damage, "Did you order and Xray already? With this amount of damage I won't be able to perform the full thoracic decompression surgery, for the time being, I can place a rod to hold the fractured collar bone in place and then you can send him to the burn center to be treated and he can get the surgery afterwards." Dongwan couldn't do anything but nod in agreement, if Minwoo says it's the best option, then it's the best option. 
Junjin was in his office attending to a patient, "Hello, you must be Taejoo!" he greeted in the sweetest voice possible. The little boy had tears welling in his eyes, "Omo, Taejoo it's okay, Hyung is here to make you feel better, here hold onto this lollipop and Hyung is going to ask you a few questions okay?" The little boy wiped his tears with the back of his sleeve and nodded as he took the candy from Junjins hand, his mother smiled, "Doctor, as you must know, kids Taejoos age can't eat that much sugar yet" she nagged, but Junjin was used to this, "Omoni, don't worry, my boyfriend only buys sugar-free lollipops for my patients." He couldn't help but crack a smile when he used the term "My boyfriend", he felt like he had to boast about his amazing partner wherever he was, the mothers face then turned dark, 
"Dr. Park, don't teach my son such disgusting ways." Junjin was genuinely surprised, "I'm sorry?" 
"As you should be, aigoo, I can't believe a man like you is... aigoo, and you have the nerve to admit it in front of children." 
Taejoo was looking at Junjin with a confused expression, Junjin smiled back and shook his head trying to tell the child not to worry, "Omoni, I don't believe there is anything to be disgusted by, especially between lovers. Now, how about we move on and-" She then cut him off, 
"You're gay, everything about that is disgusting, omo, I feel bad for your parents and their parents, how do you face your ancestors? How do you sleep at night knowing that what you're doing is so terribly wrong?" 
Junjin took a deep breathe, "Omoni, Taejoos asthma is responding well to the medication we prescribed him last month, I'll have a listen and-" She slapped Junjins hand away from Taejoo, "I don't want you to touch my son, we are getting another pediatrician." 
"Omoni, what is so wrong about being loving another man, huh? I'm sure you have had to love your husband to have had Taejoo, I love my partner the same way. What if I cursed you out and spat on you only because you love your husband? How would that make you feel? Is loving a crime? Have I committed a grave crime to make you feel this way towards me? I didn't choose to be like this, I was born this way. I have a very loving male partner that I love very much and wish to spend my life with, just as you wish to with Taejoo's father. Before I see you out of my office and bid Taejoo goodbye, I wish that you do not teach your son such homophobic ways. People are allowed to love whoever they wish to. Here's a prescription refill for Taejoos inhaler. Nurse Cho will see you out and arrange an appointment with another pediatrician."
Junjin then stood up and opened the door for her, she then muttered one last, "How unprofessional." the nurse closed the door behind her and Junjin plopped down onto his chair, he heaved a sigh and stepped out into the waiting room, "Next patient, please."


Hyesung was off at the same time as Eric today so he took his car to work wanting to surprise him, he parked his car right next to Erics and stood next to it outside in the cold waiting for Eric to come out, he waited for about 20 minutes and the image of the tall, broad man finally approached the glass door, he was quick to strike a pose like he didn't see Eric. 
"Oh, you're off too?" Eric asked as he approached Hyesung
"Hmm. Yeah, wanna get pasta? I'm feeling like pasta" Hyesung was looking down on his phone pretending not to care about the man in front of him. 
"Pasta sounds good, the place in Apujeong?"
"Hm"
"Is it some special day today?" Eric was trying to read the situation, usually, Hyesung never waits for him.
"No, I just missed you." He said nonchalantly and continued, "Get in my car, I'll drive."'
Eric felt like his hurt was about to burst, for the first time in a year, he felt like Hyesung had finally opened up to him again. "Hyesung?"
"What?"
Eric starred at him for a while, "Nothing, can we get dessert afterwards? There's a really nice cheesecake place in Apujeong."
"Sure, whatever, get in the car it's cold."
Eric smiled "Hm, Hyesung-ah... I love you."
Hyesung scoffed and got into the car slamming the door before Eric got in he replied to himself, "I know." and smiled.