When We, Were We

Come through

Junjin came to his senses, the room was dimly lit. The familiar smell of ethanol burned his nose. Home. He opened his eyes and scanned the room, the clock indicated that it was not half a 9 in the evening, "Had I slept the entire day?" he wondered to himself. He tried to sit up but was hit by a sudden spin of vertigo, a nurse saw and came running into the room. "Dr. Park! Please lay down, I'll call Dr. Jung", she then bolted out the door before Junjin could say anything. Not long after Hyesung and Kyesang came running into the room, Hyesung in scrubs, hair messy, hands shaking. Kyesang was in everyday attire, his hair was greasy, his eye bags were evident, he had not yet shaved. Hyesung ran to Junjins side while Kyesang was grasping the door frame finding his balance. Hyesung checked the monitor and jotted down some notes, Junjin followed Hyesung with his eyes. "Hyung", he weakly called out, "Don't." Hyesung spat out. Kyesang stepped into the room and knelt to the bed. "How are you feeling?", he asked, Junjins eyes then filled with tears, "Hyung, where's Andy?", he sniffled. Hyesung pulled out a tissue from the box on the table and handed it to Kyesang, the other man took it and gently dabbed away the tears. "He's alive, you should focus on recovering, it'll be a month or two before you are fully recovered", Kyesang answered. "I want to see Andy, please bring me to see Andy", he grabbed the end of Kyesangs sleeve. "Can you stop being so childish just for a minute? You nearly died for 's sake! Can you worry about your self for a moment? Can you stop getting yourself into trouble?" Hyesung blew up. Kyesang stood up and placed a hand on Hyesungs chest, "Hey now, no need to raise our voices. I'm sure Junjin didn't want all this to happen." Kyesang sighed. "I'm sorry Hyesung Hyung", Junjin murmured. Hyesung rolled his eyes and bolted out the door, Kyesang was about to follow when Junjin called out to him, "Hyung? Is... is Andy okay?", Kyesang knew that it was for the better if Junjin didn't know about Andy. "Andy is, uh stable, he went through a few surgeries in a night and it will take time for the body to recover, same goes for you, Andy is okay", Kyesang forced a grin to ease Junjins heart. 

48 hours have now passed, the ER operated normally. People came looking for Andy and Junjin, but Dongwan had for a favour from the hospital director to keep them in hiding. Minwoo and Eric would take the night shifts and Hyesung and Kyesang would take the morning shifts, Dongwan never left. Junjin was now well enough to sit up from his bed, but not enough to leave his room, A nurse came in to change his IV bag, "Nurse Oh, has Andy woken up yet? How is his condition? Does his family know he's here? Has anyone come looking for him?", Junjin bombarded her with questions. The nurse fixed the bag onto the pole and refilled his humidifier, "Dr. Park, I think it will be better if you just ask Dr. Kim." she said as she left the room. 
Dongwan was filling up a tray at the nurse's station, he made his way to the ICU unit and stared at the young man lying in bed with multiple tubes coming out of his body. "Any improvements?" he asked the nurse, she shook her head. Dongwan placed his tray down next to the bed, he began changing the dangling bags of medication on the IV pole, he glanced at Andy, behind the bruises and the scars, it was his precious little brother that was lying there. He couldn't help the tears from falling. He ripped open a unit of alcohol pads and cleaned around the IV area on Andys arm, he changed the gauze on his wounds and then he took a towel and gently wiped Andys face before sitting down next to the bed, "Andy-ah, It's Dongwan Hyung again. You must be so sick of my voice by now right?", he laughed to himself. "Nothing special happened today. The weather is nice out though, it's windy, but the skies were bright blue and the city seems so lively. I took pictures for you.", Dongwan pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Here, I mean I'm no photographer, but I would say these are pretty good", he praised. "You slept for 3 days now. Don't you think that that's enough? Come on, it's time to wake up now. Yesterday I told you that I would bring you to DisneySea in Japan if you woke up, today I will bargain a trip to DisneyWorld in America, all you have to do is wake up and hug Hyung, Andy-ah." Dongwan paused and waited for a response. "Are you angry at Hyung? Is that why you are being so stubborn because Hyung could not protect you from the chairman and her family? Hyung is sorry, I could've done better if I intervened the first day you told me about them last year this wouldn't have happened. Hyung is really sorry", Dongwan placed his hand on Andys arm. "Hyung, can't hold it together much longer Andy-ah, I'm so tired, I need you, please Andy I need you." He pleaded. Minwoo was outside observing the room, he decided to step in. "Dongwan-ah, let's give Andy some space and let him rest, let's go get a coffee.", Minwoo said as he shifted towards the door, Dongwan closed his eyes and nodded before following Minwoo out the door. 
Minwoo and Dongwan walked to the hospital cafe in silence. Once they ordered they sat back down with their coffees. "I'm glad the ER hasn't been busy", Minwoo suddenly said. Dongwan nodded, "mmh." he exhaled. "Junjin is recovering rather quickly", Minwoo added. "Good." Dongwan took a sip from his coffee, "Don't you think we should tell Junjin about Andy?" Minwoo asked Dongwan stared him in the eyes, "What do you want me to tell him? Hi, Junjin I hope you are recovering well! Andy is in a severe comatose state due to prolonged septic shock. He might have a heart attack any second, he might never wake up, he might not make it to sunrise each morning. How do you want me to tell him Dr. Lee, please teach me.", Minwoo looked at him, he knew Dongwan didn't mean what he just said, but it leaves him thinking as well. "Andy is young, he's strong, he will wake up, he will recover, trust me, Andy will." Minwoo tried to comfort the now crying man. He slid his each next to Dongwan instead of across and placed a hand on the other man's knee, Dongwan then pulled him into a hug and cried into his chest, Minwoo placed his hand on his shoulder blade and prayed that Andy was going to pull through. 
 
After the whole conundrum, Mr. Cha found Vincent the next morning unconscious in the garage where he was brought to the main hospital and treated. He was released from the hospital with a concussion. After going back home Chairman Lee lashed out on him, she hit him with her cane until he was on his knees. "Why? Why did you go and assault them? Did I tell you to lay a single finger on them? No. So tell me, why did you do it?" she asked. He remained silent while looking to the ground, "I saw my grandson leave with that man, and now I can't find either of them if anything happens to Andy I will make sure you are spending the rest of your life on a hospital bed wishing you were dead." She clenched her teeth. 

Eric was looking at an Xray film before Kyesang came knocking on his door, "What is it, Kyesang?" Eric looked up. "Jinnie is not an idiot Eric, he knows something is wrong, he keeps asking about Andy, he's well enough to walk around now, what are we going to tell him, Eric?" Kyesang rubbed in between his eyebrows. Eric placed the film down, "There's nothing we can do, he will have to find out on his own. It's too late for us to tell him." Eric sighed. 
Junjin was now well enough to walk around, he moved very slowly, but he made progress. Every step he took it had aggravated his surgery incisions. A 2-minute walk took him 10 minutes to complete, he found his way to the ICU department and scanned his badge to open the doors, he read the name plague of room 2 "Patient: Lee Sunho", he hesitated for a second before sliding open the doors. His eyes laid on the sleeping figure in front of him, other then the breathing tube and two IVs, Andy looked like Andy, it had been 5 days now and the bruising on his face had gone away. Junjin stood by the door, not believing his eyes for a few seconds before grabbing Andys charts. 5 days, and no improvement. He threw the chart across the room in fustration, unknowingly popping open a stich. He took a seat next to Andy and held his hand, his cold, pale hand. "Andy-ah, it's me. You lazy pig wake up, you've been sleeping for 5 days straight? How heartless of you. I'm sure Dongwan and Hyesung and already came and gave you a good nagging. I had a weird dream Andy, I dreamt that you called me Yeobo and that you made me pancakes. I never liked pancakes ever, but now I really crave them. Andy-ah, do you understand how I feel? How does my heart feel for you? There's a phrase I always wanted to say to you, I've been wanting to say it since I've met you, wake up and I'll tell you.", Junjin grasped onto Andys arm and shook. "Get up, I've never been a man with patience Lee Sunho! Wake up!", he continued to shake the arm, "Please wake up so I can tell you!", Junjins head fell to the edge of the bed and he wept. "Please, I can't live like this", he whispered. "F... Five more minutes", a faint voice entered Junjins ear, he looked up and found Andy squinting at him, "Jin-ah... 5 more minutes", when Junjin was crying Andy had woken up, he had taken out the ventilator himself. "Andy? Are you awake? I, uhm, I- one second. Nurse! Nurse!", He shouted to Nurse Oh outside, she came running in. "Check his vitals and give him an over-mouth oxygen mask and administer  8 litres per minute at 60%, page Dr. Kim and Dr. Mun, now!" he ordered. She nodded and followed his instructions before she placed the mask over his head Andy grasped Junjins wrist, "J- Jin-ah, are you okay?" he managed to ask. "I'm fine, I'm okay" he smiled at him. "No, you're bleeding", Andy pointed to the side of his shirt, the nurse pulled his shirt up and revealed the popped stitch. "It's nothing, I'll have Kyesang stitch it back up later", he smiled. 
Dongwan and Eric came running into the room, Dongwan immediately pulled out his stethoscope and began examining Andy as Eric watched, "Heart and lung sounds are normal, stats look good as well", he said out loud as he was writing on the chart. Eric then stepped in and felt Andys neck, the back of his head, and checked his pupils. "Did you have a nice sleep? You fool." Eric muttered. Andy gave them a thumbs up, he then pointed to Junjins shirt, "Oh ! What happened?", Dongwan asked as he pulled up the shirt to examine the damage. "It's no biggie", Junjin tried to play it cool. "Sit down," Dongwan ordered as he ran to the closet and pulled out a suture kit. He knelt down in front of Junjin and pulled out the syringe of local anesthetic, he took the cap off with his teeth and spat it out onto the tray. He quickly stitched the man back up and placed a bandage on it. "Thanks, Hyung", Junjin gave his gratitude, Dongwan replied with a grunt, he'll take it as "you are welcome"
Andy pulled his face mask down and asked, "JunJin-ssi? Aren't you going to tell me something that you've been wanting to say?" he smiled slightly. 
All eyes were now on him. "Well, I- uhm- about that, I-", Andy then cut him off, "I love you too."