Autumn Night

Come through

*Directly continuing from Chapter 11*

Kyesang ran out of his apartment after receiving Minwoos text, he knew that Dongwan was rash, but didn't want to imagine what kind of mess he had gotten himself into to be not picking up the phone, it was also like a universal rule, as long as the sun still rises from the east then no matter the situation Kim Dongwan will always pick up the phone. He jumped into his sportscar and speeded towards Minwoo's location. 
Minwoo was standing outside the alleyway where the intersection met and continuously tried to call Dongwan, it now went straight to voicemail. This feeling was new to him, a large amount of panicking, his heart rate now rose to 136, he had cold sweat beading on his forehead, he was worried that he won't be able to see Dongwan again. Minwoo was looking at his phone when he heard an engine rev and the tires screech, Kyesang had arrived. He ran over to Minwoo and asked, "Anything?" he watched Minwoo shakes his head, "No, it goes directly to voicemail now, we can't call the police as it hasn't been 24 hours, and I have not told anyone else, I don't want them to worry, the hospital is already chaotic enough. Kyesang was scratching his head, "Where the hell could he be? I called the dorm and no one has seen him all day." 
Minwoo's phone rang and to the both of their surprise it had no caller ID, Kyesang took the phone from Minwoo and picked it up, "Hello?"
"Dr. Yoon, it's been a while, how's your old man? Did you dump him into a senior home yet?" the voice said over the speaker. Kyesang managed to recognize that voice, it was Andys father. "Sir, why are you calling us did something happen to Andy?", Minwoo said in a panic. 
"You, fool. Don't you get it? Andy is a lost cause now, I was rooting for him until him and man.. disgusting. Chairman had told me she was going to push vincent to be the next successor. Why take care of a fisherman's dog when you can groom a rich man's horse. Anyways, I called because you might be worried about your friend Dr. Kim. Vincent couldn't get his hands dirty since he has the major surgery tomorrow, but I, on the other hand, have a lot of spare time and cannot let anyone get in our way. Let's just say in my time I operated and save so many lives of illegal third-party businessmen that they owed me some favours. You can find him at the old car junkyard right after highway 3. When you find him and he is still breathing remind him of what I told him tonight to not with the order of things, and if he's dead, burn a stick of incense for him on my behalf, and tell him that I'll see him in hell." He then hung up the phone before they could ask any more questions. The pair immediately ran into Kyesangs are and sped way past speed limit to get to the location. 

Dongwan was fearless, after his phone call in Andys office in front of Vincent, he was on his way back to the apartment when there were a group of not-so-nice gentlemen waiting for him in the parking area. He had tried to escape the situation, but it was a fight that he was guaranteed to lose. He was shoved into a car and had his hands zip-tied together. They threw him out of the car and he found himself in the middle of a junkyard. "Well, well, isn't it the infamous black knight of the shabby hospital, Dr. Kim Dongwan", Dongwan spat out the dirt in his mouth, "What the hell do you want Sangbeom?", Dongwan asked. Sangbeom was a known man in the organized crime field. "I am working on the orders of Mr. Lee and Vincent Lee. I was told to teach you a lesson about ing around with them." He said as he took his watch off and crackled his knuckles. "Cut the Sangbeom, if you brought me all the way here to beat me up then just get it over with, I have places to be", Dongwan got up onto his feet. The thugs now surrounded him, "The mouth on this one", Sangbeom commented before swinging the first punch. Even with his hand immobilized, Dongwan was still steadily fighting back. He managed to dodge a few swing and hits, but in the end, it was impossible to defend himself from 5 other people. Dongwan was curled up onto the ground, blood running down his face. "You know, Dr. Kim if you hadn't become a doctor, you would have made a fantastic gangster." The thug said before landing a few for kicks on the surgeon, Dongwan bit his lips trying now to groan in pain, he didn't want people thinking he was weak. The thug pulled his phone out and took a picture of Dongwans condition, he answered a phone call and they all got into the car and left. Dongwan rolled onto his back, he tried t self assess his condition, he breathed in, "Definitely a minor concussion, broken rib, maybe even some internal hemorrhaging", he sighed. It was a cold autumn night, the sky was clear and the stars filled the light-polluted sky. "If only I had a bottle of Soju right now", he thought to himself. He thought back to all the fights Kyesang had gotten himself into during their younger days, Yoon Kyesang was a known trouble maker, the fact that he got into med school still baffled Dongwan. Kyesang was a righteous fighter though, he only picked on bullies. In 11th grade Kysang and Dongwan saw a boy getting his glasses snapped in half, by a renowned delinquent in their class, Kyesang left a note in the locker pretending to be a girl in their class and lured him out behind the school, Kyesang then proceeded to teach the kid a lesson, every time Dongwan would run into the heat of the fight to pull Kyesang out. Dongwan now only wished for Kyesang to come and bring him home. He couldn't help, but closes his heavy eyelids, he tried so hard to keep them open, he could faintly hear Kyesangs voice calling his name, no has sure it was Kyesang, but who's the second voice, Dongwan tried to focus on the second voice, he couldn't help but smile when he realized it was Minwoo. 
Minwoo and Kyesang were looking everywhere in the gigantic place looking for Dongwan, Minwoo found him first, he laid there unmoving, a pile of crimson liquid was surrounding him. Minwoo and Kyesang ran over by his side, Minwoo picks his head up and placed it onto his knee, "Yah, Dongwan ah... Kim Dongwan, come to your senses!", Kyesang said as he gently slapped Dongwan's face. 

Back at the hospital, the director had received an anonymous email, he opened it and watched the included video file. He slammed his laptop shut and stormed out of his office. "Dr. Vincent Lee, as the director I would have to ask you to leave my hospital immediatly, our legal team will be in contact with you briefly, I will give a detailed explanation to the chairman myself, thank you for your cooperation", Vincent looked at him in shock. He slammed his fist on the table and headed out the door. 
A 2 minuted clip was sent to the Director of Vincent assaulting Dr. Lee and Dr. Park, after the director spoke with Vincent he forwarded the video to the board, hoping that Vincent would no longer bring trouble to the hospital and his staff. 
Minwoo and Kyesang came running into the OR with Dongwan on Kyesangs back, "I need a FAST test kit now!" Kyesang shouted. Minwoo grabbed a trauma kit before the nurses could even process what was going on. "I need the crash cart here now! Give him 2 rounds of Epi and a round of Atropine, everybody clear!" Kyesang shouted orders as he held the defibrillator in hand, he watched as the nurse cut open Dongwans shirt and reveal is beaten and bruised body, "Charge, Clear! Pulse check", Kyesang said aloud, Minwoo placed his finger on Dongwan's neck and watched as the monitor beeped, "He's tachycardic, prepare a 30ml of Amiodadrone, get a chest image and prep him an OR", Minwoo ordered. Minwoo placed his hand on Dongwans forehead and swept aside the bangs that were sticking to his face, "Everything will be fine Wan-ah, you're at the hospital now, Kyesang and Eric will operate, I will be right outside okay?", he wiped the blood away from Dongwans face with he sleeve. 
Kyesang got the chest imaging and ran up to Andys room for a consult, "Andy-ah, I'm so sorry to bother you at this hour, but I need a consult, we had a patient come in with trauma injuries to the chest, blood is compiling in the left lung quadrant, how should I proceed with the surgery?" Kyesang asked. Andy yawned and took the film from his hands, "No, it's okay Hyung, I'm glad that I can be useful. "Insert a chest tube for decompression, then find the bleeder and insert a graft to seal it up, leave enough space between the aortic vessel and the rib tendon", Andy briefly explained while looking at the image. "Thanks, Andy, Dinner on me!", Kyesang said as he took the film back. Andy scratched his head in confusion, Dongwan had done this type of surgery a dozen times, if Kyesang wasn't confident Dongwan could have lead, "Unless...", Andy thought to himself, the patient Kyesang was operating on was Dongwan. Andy ripped off his IV and changed into a set of scrubs, he ran towards the OR even if his wounds weren't fully healed yet. 
Outside the operating room Minwoo was standing with his phone in hand, he then saw Andy running over, he grabbed the younger boy by the shoulders, "Andy, what are you doing out of your room, you're not in a well enough condition to be up and running, please go back", Minwoo pleaded. Andy was shaking, "Hyung, tell me it's not Dongwan Hyung that's in there, please tell me I'm wrong, please." Andys eyes were watering. Minwoo drooped his head down and pulled Andy into a hug, "Hyung, it's all my fault, oh god it's my fault. Hyung, I-" Minwoo his back and cooed, "No, Andy stop blaming yourself, it's definitely not your fault and knowing Dongwans personality he would've gotten himself into this kind of trouble on way or another, Kyesang and Eric are in there now, there's no need to worry, now please go back to your room, Hyesung and Junjin are on the way." Andy then pulled out of the hug, "No, Hyung I will go in to assist, even if I don't have a part I just want to watch, just in case", Andy wiped his tears with the collar oh his scrub, "How about this, once Hyesung and Junjin arrive, we can all go up and watch from the gallery, okay?" Minwoo forced himself to smile and waited for Andys response, Andy nodded and sat beside Minwoo. 
Thirty or so minutes later Hyesung and Junjin ran into the waiting area, Minwoo explained everything, Junjin saw Andy with his swollen eyes and walked towards the man and silently pulled him into a hug, no words needed to be said. The four of them headed to the gallery and watched as Kyesang and Eric opereated, the drapes were covering Dongwans face,  if they didn't already know, you couldn't have told that the person laying on the table was Dongwan. Two more hours have now passed and it does not seem like they were going to wrap up anytime soon, Minwoo was fidgeting with the buttons on his phone, Hyesung didn't know what to say to console him, so he simply placed a hand on the other mans knee, Junjin and Andy stood right up to the glass, Junjin grasping onto Andys hand and giving him gentle squeezes. The entire night has now passed, the clock now has shown 7:12 am, Andy had fallen asleep on Junjins shoulder, Junjin tried to stay awake up, hid head kept nodding off. Hyesung was doing some stretches in the corner to stay awake, Minwoo sat there in the same position the entire night, he reminisced all the times he got mad at Dongwan, all the times they fought, the times where he had to chance to confess his feelings but didn't. He was jealous of Kyesang, he was so damn jealous, they have this push and pull friendship where they relied on one another. Minwoo sent another prayer to the gods above, "Hi, it's me again, please don't take him away from me, I never got a chance to date him, I never got a chance to kiss him, I never got a chance to tell him how important he is to me, so please don't take him away from me." 
The surgery was somewhat of a success, I mean he's still alive and breathing right? Dongwan was still in an unstable condition, Eric managed to remove the hematoma within the golden hour, but he couldn't be sure of the side effects, Dongwan had renal failure halfway into the surgery because of severe kidney bruising. He survived, it's all that counts. 
Minwoo went into the ICU ward after washing up, it was so strange to see Dongwan on the other side, usually, he was the one checking up on patients, doing his rounds and signing off charts. Minwoo couldn't stand the sight of it all, he suddenly felt nauseous and ran into the bathroom to vomit, he grasped onto the wall of the bathroom stall and suddenly let all of his emotion overtake him, he quietly sobbed so no one could hear the pitiful sorrow that he was emitting.