Epi

Come through

Continuing from Chapter 19 and 20 


Everything was a blur, he couldn't feel his limbs, he had vertigo, and he felt like vomiting. Andy weakly layed his head on his arm, he opened his eyes and his hyungs were in front of him, all six of them. Andy wanted to call out to them, but he couldn't. He wanted to tell them to leave, that it was a trap, but he didn't have to energy to even keep his eyes open, he peeked over and realized the mercury-laced IV bag was almost empty. 
Junjin was trapped between 2 guys, one guy had him in a headlock. From his peripheral vision, he could see a shadow of Andy laying motionless, waiting for him to come to help him. He then took all his energy and kicked the two guys off of him, by the time he stood back up Vincent had just picked up his blade and lunged towards Dongwan. 

It all happened in slow motion for Minwoo, was is because he was exhausted from fighting? Probably. One moment he saw Vincent pick up the blade again from the ground and glared at Dongwan with bloodshot eyes, the next he heard the police officers shuffling from outside. He wanted to protect Dongwan, he didn't want him to be harmed in any way. If Minwoo learned anything from cop movies he grew up watching is that now would be the time to jump in front of his lover and shield him away from harm. He launched himself towards Vincent when he left a pair of hands to push him aside. Minwoo stood still as he watched the 10-inch blade plunge into Kyesangs lower back. 

"Seoul PD! Put your hands up where I can see them!" 
Vincent smirked and made another quick jab. Bang. 
The sound of a handgun firing had assaulted their eardrums. 
Vincent laid cold on the ground. Kyesang fell into Dongwans' arms. Junjin bolted towards Andy. 

Kyesang couldn't help but laugh. He had treated so many stab patients during his career as an ER surgeon, but now to experience getting stabbed himself, ha, it was way worse than how he'd imagine it. He had so much that he wanted to say, but his ears were ringing and his vision kept blacking out. He wanted to tell them not to worry. That everything was going to be okay. He felt apologetic towards Andy if he had said something sooner about the weird feeling he was having maybe this could have all been avoided. He's sorry that he couldn't protect Andy. In his blurred Vision, he saw what seemed like Dongwan crying. He wouldn't tell Dongwan how ugly he looked right now, his face was red and he could see his double chin, it was like watching a frog cry. He wanted to tell Dongwan to quit being such a cry baby and get him some morphine to ease the excruciating pain radiating on his lower right side, but he couldn't. 
As Kyesang drifted off into the darkness he told himself all the things he wanted to say to his band of brothers. 

"Dongwan-ah, I think this is it. I always thought that you'd be the one to push me off a cliff and that was how I would go. I'm sorry. Not for getting stabbed. I should probably tell you that in 12th grade I was the one who lost your USB full of presentations and notes. I only intended to borrow it for Chem class, but I guess I dropped it somewhere and made you look all day for it. I'm also sorry about that one time when we were interning, I purposely got you sick so I could assist that segmentectomy instead of you. I'm the sorriest that I can't fool around with you in the ER anymore, and now to think about it I'm a lot of things towards you, Wan-ah. Eric, stop looking so sulky all the time, just looking at you makes me depressed sometimes. You know, I actually was so damn jealous of you when you were appointed to our hospital as a NeuroSurgeon because that was my dream job. Take care of yourself and don't let your mother boss you around, Hyesung doesn't hate you so please don't hesitate to love him again. Oh, and I carved my initials on your balcony railings during our last get together, I guess now you won't be able to forget me, so your welcome. Hyesung ah. You and I have not exchanged more than 500 words this year, but I'm grateful to have you by my side, as cheesy as it may sound, you were my rock. You anchored me to be responsible when I needed to be and pulled me back into reality when I was partying too hard. I don't think I've ever told you this, but thank you. Eric is a total softie when it comes to you so please handle him with care, I've had enough of him drunk calling me at 4 in the morning because you ignored his calls, and I sure as hell don't want him to bother me in the afterlife, so please pick up his calls. I also need you to do me a favour Hyesung, keep an eye out on the maknaes. I know you already are, but touch base with them at least once a week. These two kids get pent up on their emotions and keep bottling everything up, they need someone to talk to and they won't make the first approach, so please, add part-time counsellour to your to-do list. The maknaes. You boys worry me to death. I mean quite literally. I think at this point I'm in the ER by now and someone his resuscitating me, or at least I hope and Dongwan didn't just leave me in the basement. Andy, I know what you are thinking, none of this is your fault okay? We don't blame you for anything, Hyungs decided to do this, okay? Don't go binge drinking and crying at the noraebang like I caught you doing last time. You still have your grandmother to deal with, the night is long. Andy-ah, did Hyung ever tell you how much I loved it when you smiled? You probably don't realize his since you only smile once in a blue moon, but your smile is brighter than the sun. Please smile more, I'll send your regards to Eomoni for you, I'm excited o finally try her dumplings and good luck with our Choongjae he's going to drain all your energy and then replaced it with love and affection. Not that it's a bad thing, but that you might have to be the Alpha in the relationship. Choongjae! You prick! Sorry, I've always wanted to yell that out loud in an empty void. Park Choongjae, Junjin. Hyung doesn't need to tell you anything right? You already know what my heart wants to say right? Hyung loves you, you know that right? And last but not least Minwoo. Minwoo-ah, Minwoo-ah, Dongwan is a young soul. He's carefree and reckless and he can and will drive you insane, but I know you love it. I watched you two bicker from year one till now, if they gave out gold medals for third-wheeling, then I would definitely the recipient. Minwoo-ah, when I leave Dongwan will be very sad. He will be sad and he will be angry and he will not reason with anything or anyone, and I need you to promise me to bring him back, okay? I trust you Minwoo, I want to see you and Wannie laughing every day together for the rest of your lives or else I'm going to beat the out of you when we meet again in the afterlife. Okay, boys. I think this is it. There's no white light. No hand reaching out. I mean it feels cold and I'm really sleepy. I- uhm I- I love you guys." 

Vincent was announced dead on the scene, Dongwan carried Kyesang to the hospital ER upstairs and Junjin carried Andy, the rest of the members followed. 
"Kyesang ah, Yoon Kyesang! You ing sly bastard, you stay with me okay, we're almost to the ER, you ing stay with me!" Dongwan shouted as he bolted down a corridor. 
While in Junjins arms Andy had begun seizing and foaming at the mouth, "No, No no no no, Andy! Andy-ah!" Junjin cried Eric helped him secure Andy on his back. 
"Move, get of the way, free up the hybrid rooms now!" Hyesung was ordering around nurses that he has never met before. 
"Sir, who are you?!" She asked as she stood in their way, Hyesung whipped out his Andys badge from his pant pockets and his own from his. 
"Dr. Jung Pilgyo from the branch hospital, acquainted with Dr. Lee Sunho, your future chairman, so get the out of our way," Hyesung demanded, he knew very well what the hospital protocols were and that they had no jurisdiction over this ER, but he didn't care. No one else is to treat his friends, but them. 
Dongwan placed Kyesang on a gurney and began chest compressions, and before he could even shout orders Hyesung grabbed a unit of Epi and shot it into Kyesangs neck. Minwoo was looking around for a trauma kit, "Where's your trauma trays!?" he frantically asked the nurse behind him and she quickly passed the cart to him. He then started a line and handed Eric the intubation kit. Junjin on the other hand was dealing with Andy who had now stopped seizing but is falling into V-Fib, "I need a crash cart!" he shouted, a nurse from the bed next to him heard and pushed one over to him, Hyesung threw him a shot of Epi, Junjin spat the cap out and jabbed it into Andys thigh. "Everyone, clear!" he shocked, no response. "One more time set to 400, clear! Rythem check" he looked over to the monitor and sighed in relief, "I need 2 litres of warm saline, I need a unit of Dimercapto-1-propane sulfonic acid to begin chelation! Call up to your ICU wing and inform them of the in-patient." Junjin heaved. 

"I need 5 units of PRBC type O , two stab wounds to the right flank, first at L2 four centimetres off the midline and the second one is L5 Mid-scapular line, ultrasound shows renal laceration, he's tachycardic and hypertensive, Hyesung switch hands with me on compressions", Dongwan jumped off and Hyesung jumped on. 
Eric turned around to attend to Andy, "How is it, Jinnie?" he asked trying to remain calm in the ER. 
"Septic shock. I just began chelation, his blood gas analysis is way off the charts, I'm suspected the beginning of organ failure. " Junjin murmured. 
Eric looked as at Andy laying there on the bed, his whispy bangs stuck to his forehead from sweat. He placed a hand on the boy's forehead and began to pray. 
It had now been 54 minutes since Kyesng started to arrest. Dongwan, Minwoo, Eric and Junjin all took turns performing CPR when they stopped compressions the monitor showed no activity. Minwoo gave him one last shot of Epinephrine and clasped his two hands togther and began another round of compressions, they all circled around as Minwoo was counting aloud when finally Dongwan placed a hand on his back. "Minwoo-ah, That's enough."
"No, Wan-ah, I can still save him. We can still save him, he just needs another round of Epi, I can keep up with compressions." Minwoo pleaded. 
"LEE MINWOO THAT'S ENOUGH!" Dongwan shouted from the top of his lungs, he took a deep breathe. "We gave him 11 units of Epi and had defibrillated 6 times already. He's gone." 
"No, but I can-" Eric pulled Minwoo off the bed and away. 
"Time of death 16:07" Hyesung announced. 
Dongwan placed his right hand on the top of Kyesangs head and his left on his chest, he silently let his tears flow as he pulled the light blue fabric over his best friends head. "Thank you" he whispred.