Winter Wonderland

Come through

Dongwan took his camera out took photos of Minwoo when he wasn't looking. Today they both had the day off and it had snowed in Seoul for the past few days. He took Minwoo to Hanuel park for a light hike. We watched as the surgeon gathered snow in his hands and began to roll a massive snowball, "Minwoo-ah, what are you doing?" Dongwan laughed, "I'm making a snowman!" he shouted. Dongwan watched the ball roll bigger and bigger, Minwoo was in the midst of school children who were also trying to build a snowman. Dongwan suddenly felt like playing too, he placed his camera back into his backpack and rolled a perfect sphere in his hand, he threw it over to the direction of Minwoo and it landed right on his ear. Minwoo shook the snow off and grumbled under his breath, "You are so dead, Kim Dongwan!", the two grown- men now found themselves in the middle of a snowball fight. Minwoo grinned from ear to ear as he saw Dongwan smiling like a little boy. He suddenly recalled the first snow fall he experienced in Seoul. 
Minwoo as a country boy had studied so hard to get into med school and went he got accepted he left everything behind and followed his cousin to Seoul. It was a freezing autumn morning on campus and Minwoo was heading to his Microbiology lecture, he found a seat close to the window and around 15 minutes into the lecture it had begun to snow outside. He watched as the ground slowly get covered in snow and looked up to the majestic snowfall, the rowdy kids in front of him was making a fuss, "Kyesang! Kyesang! Look, Look! It's Snowing!", Dongwan was slapping Kyesangs arm. Minwoo looked at the two bows sitting in the row below him and laughed at the way the guy was creating such a fuss over snow. After class they had all gone out to play in the snow, he saw the two boys from the lecture again, one of them accidentally threw a snowball to Minwoos face. Kyesang ran over to Minwoo to see if he was okay, "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hit you", Kyesang apologized. Minwoo smiled, "It's okay", he assured Kyesang as he threw snow back at him for revenge. The next thing he knew the three of them were playing in the snow, Minwoo couldn't help, but keep his eyes on Kyesangs friend Dongwan, the way that he smiled when he played in the snow was enough to melt a frozen heart. 
Minwoo snapped back to reality when another snowball slapped the back of his head, Kyesang was on his way to the hospital when he passed the park and saw the couple playing, he pulled his car over and confronted them with snowballs. The three of them were playing and laughing as if time had stopped for them to seize the moment. Some things never change, Dongwan would flirt with Minwoo and Kyesang would awkwardly have to stand with his arms crossed and watched. 


Andy was enjoying a cup of coffee at the cafe and reading over some charts that he was sent for a consult. "Doctor Candy!" He heard a voice of a little call out to him, he turned around saw Chuihee, the little girl he met a few months ago at the hospital, "Oh Chuihee-ah, nice to see you again!" she was at the cafe with her Mom, Andy stood up and greeted her. "My brother and his friends are all better now Oppa!" she cheered as she took a sip out of her milkshake. "I have to go to daycare now, I'll see you later!" she hugged him around his legs before bolting out the door to her brother, Andy said his goodbye to her Mom and waved at her brother. He was glad that everything turned out okay with them. 


Junjin had somehow convinced Hyesung to bring him to Costco, Costco was the place that Andy didn't like, the overcrowdedness, the large warehouse-esque vibes, the never-ending line ups to check out. On the contrary Junjin like to call trips to the department store, "A Costco adventure", and no surprise the only person in their band of friends that had a membership was Shin Hyesung, they grabbed a cart and the giant bags of popcorn caught Junjins eyes, "Oh my god, this is enough popcorn for like, 10 movie nights!" He exclaimed as he placed a bag into the cart. Hyesung was shopping around for more practical items, shampoo, detergent, cheese, to name a few. Junjin kept throwing snacks into the cart and when Hyesung was about to oppose he would add, "Because Andy really likes them", Hyesung rolled his eyes and watched as the cart filled up. At the end of their, adventure Junjin had purchased at least 2 months' worth of snacks and a bulk pack of flintstones vitamin gummies, while Hyesung picked up some household necessities. "Jin-ah, so are you and Andy living together now or?" Hyesung asked. "Well, it's complicated Hyung, cause I offered Andy to live with me and he said that he liked his studio, so I told him to stay at my place whenever he wants to since he's also good with the puppies. Now 5 out of 7 days of the week I either find him in the living room playing with PoJack or I wake up to him at my bedside. So I guess you can say that we are?" Junjin questioned. 
Hyesung chuckled as he loaded up their shopping into the trunk of the car, "I know what you mean, but since Eric and I live in the same building we just bounce back and forth. Eric hasn't told his family that we are back together yet. I don't think they'll be able to handle it", Hyesung slammed the trunk shut, they then stepped into the vehicle. "So what? Love is love, it's their problem if they are old school, it doesn't mean it's our issue." Junjin scoffed, Hyesung nodded, "On another topic, I'm hungry from all the shopping, wanna get BBQ?" Hyesung pitched the idea to Junjin and he glowed up like a light bulb, "Great idea Hyung!", Hyesung ruffled Junjins hair before driving to his favourite restaurant nearby. 


Eric was in his office, he was signing off some charts before he found himself daydreaming, he looked at his phone when it made a noise for notifications, Dongwan had sent a photo of Minwoo hugging Kyesang who was buried underneath a pile of snow [Minwoo and Dongwan 1 - Kyesang 0] it captioned, Eric, laughed for poor Kyesang, it must've been so tiring to have to deal with those two trouble makers. Since it was a snow day Eric planned a simple dinner that he was going to cook for Hyesung, but just as he was about to take his coat and stethoscope off to call it a day his pager rang. [A pregnant women had slipped on ice and is in critical condition] he saw the message and bolted to the ER. He came just in time as the paramedics were running in Kyesang was gathering information, "Women in her late 20s, in her third trimester, baby is due in a month and a half's time, she slipped on a patch of ice while walking home", Kyesang took the ultrasound and examined the fetus, she suddenly fell into arrest, "Eric on compression, push one of EPI every 3 minutes!" Kyesang ordered. Eric then stopped CPR for a brief second to perform a pulse check, he then continued, Kyesang was now preparing for intubation, "Ultrasound shows that the fetus is viable, Confirm that the fetus is still alive", Kyesang shouted. A nurse then pushed over a sonogram and Kyesang checked the status of the baby, "Fetus is still alive, slow pulse, we will have to perform an emergency C section" Kyesang looked at Eric as he was still performing CPR, "Dr. Jung will be here 5 minutes" a nurse informed them. Kyesang now switched positions with Eric, Hyesung came running in with Junjin, "I was out with Jin anyways, what's the situation?" Hyesung asked as he pulled on a pair of gloves, Junjin was already feeling around for the fetus. "Astotle for the past 15 minutes, pushed 3 of epi already still no pulse." Kyesang said as he continued compressions, Hyesung then took a look at the sonogram moniter, "We are going to have to do a Perimortem Cesarian Section, and we have to do it right now, right here. We can not hold any longer the fetus is in distress", Hyesung explained. "Even if you continue with compressions the blood supply won't reach the placenta, prepare. Neonatal intensive care unit for the baby", Junjin added. "Once we take the baby out, Junjin you run up and place the baby on support in Peds I will close up the mother and join you shortly," Hyesung said. 
"Okay, Hyesung lead the surgery and I will assit, Eric with compressions and Jujin get ready for delivery, Nurse prepare a surgery kit and 5 units of red blood cells and 8 units of plasma" Kyesang ordered. 
Hyesung pulled on a set of surgery scrubs, "Eric do not stop compression", Hyesung then made the first incision. "I'm in the abdominal cavity, hold it firmly," Hyesung said as he continued, "I will now cut the uterus, the baby's coming out, get ready!" he shouted and with a swift motion, the baby and its mother were now separated. "Baby's out, time 21:05" Junjin announced. A nurse was cleaning the baby and snipped the umbilical cord, Junjin then held onto the baby for dear life and bolted to the peds department. Now that the fetus was out they were able to defibrillate, "One last push of Epi, everyone move!", Kyesang ordered as he shocked the patient, no response. "Another 250 Joules! Clear!" still no response. Eric continued with chest compressions. It had now been over 30 minutes, "Charge to 300, Shock!" Kyesang waited for the pulse to come back. Hyesung took the paddle from Kyesang and pulled him away from the bed, "That's enough Kyesang, please." Hyesung wrapped his arms around his chest to pull him back, "Kyesang-ah, stop it, please." 
They all stood around her as the sound of the EKG flatline rang in their ears, "Time of death 21:47" Hyesung announced. 
Junjin brought the baby into the NICU, "Come on baby cry for me, just a little cry please", he then connected the baby onto a monitor, "Come on, please cry for Dr. park" he said as the baby's head, he heard a small cough and then a cry followed, Junjin laughed at the sight, "Yes, just like that!" he cheered. He watched the baby sleep in the incubator and talked to it, "Welcome to the world, little princess! I'm Dr. Park and I will be taking care of you for the time being. You were born on a cold January evening, making you an Ice Princess, oh my gosh, Elsa!?" he laughed to himself. Hyesung walked over to see Junjin giggling with the newborn, he tried to smile, he really did, but he just didn't have it in him to smile at the moments. Junjin turned around and saw Hyesung, "Hyung the mother did she-" Junjin was asking, Hyesung simply shook his head, he then pulled Junjin in for an embrace.