Hippocratic Oath

Come through

Seoul National University of Medicine 8-9 years ago

"Welcome to your first lecture on your path to medicine. I will be your Internal medicine professor, when we become doctors we have to swear by and to the Hippocratic oath, One of the oldest binding documents in history, the Oath was written by Hippocrates is still held sacred by physicians: to treat the ill to the best of one's ability, to preserve a patient's privacy, to teach the secrets of medicine to the next generation, and so on. The first line of that oath is [First do no harm] as a physician if your responsibility to save lives, you must protect your patients from further harm, if there is one get away from my lectures it is the importance of this oath. 

The Hippocratic oath:

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is an art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter? May I always act to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

Current timeline

Kyesang was in bed, it was one of those days where he wakes up and feels that there is something wrong, as if a storm is brewing up in the air. He dragged himself out of bed and opened his curtains, he ruffled his hair as he looked out into the morning cityscape, teenagers of bikes on their way to school, a mother was walking her small child to the school bus, the local coffee shop had a line up formed for people who needed their morning caffeine fix before work. Kyesang heaved a sigh, he stepped into the kitchen to brew himself his morning pick me up. He grabbed his phone from his lamp desk and read the messages he had missed. Eric had drunk texted the group chat for the 2nd time this week, something along the lines of wanting to kiss Hyesung, he chuckled at his phone and took a sip out of the piping out coffee, he underestimated how hot the ceramic cup handle was going to be and dropped the half-filled cup onto his hardwood floor. Something bad was going to happen. 

"I need a crash cart now!" Eric shouted from the sideline, they had just admitted a patient that swallowed a laundry detergent pod (Tide Pod) "I need a unit of active charcoal, start a central line, intubate and proceed to bag him" Eric ordered, Minwoo who was on his way to the Xray department saw the status of the ER and jumped in to help. Eric had just started chest compressions, "Administer one of Epi through the central line, I need an ET2, a 10cc syringe, Eric let me know when you're ready", Minwoo said as he pulled his stethoscope over his head. Eric stopped and reached for a pulse check, "Do we have a pulse?" Minwoo asked. Eric nodded and stepped off the bed, "We have a pulse, 80" he wheezed. Minwoo stepped in to give Eric some time to catch his breath, "Get a chest Xray and call ICU", Minwoo said to a nurse. At that time a group of young men rushed into the ER.

"We're here for Myungjun, I'm his older brother, where is he?" 

Eric overheard and walked over to the boys, "Hi, I'm Dr. Mun, I'll be taking care of the patient, he is currently stable, but his condition is not optimal and we are sending him up to ICU as we speak. Can you tell me what happened?" 

"Jun is Autistic, he, he was in class when this kid told him that he had candy for him and he swallowed that damn thing, is- is my brother going to die? Please save him, Dr. Mun, please, he's the only family I have left, please save him." The patient's older brother knelt in front of Eric. 

"First of all, please get up onto your feet. We are trying the best that we can, during this time he needs further observations. You can go up to see him in a bit, are these his friends?" 

The older boy nodded, "These two are his classmates", they gave Eric a slight bow of the head. "Okay, well there is not much that you kids can do at the moment, go back home and pack some things that Myungjun likes, comic books, action figures or whatnot, he will have to stay for at least two days after he wakes up", Eric patted them on the shoulder and headed back into the ER. 

Minwoo was overlooking the chest Xray the boy had just taken, "No organ damage, he got lucky. I can't believe these kids are bringing laundry pods to school and forcing them down kids throats, that's downright cruel", Eric was speechless he couldn't believe how dark these high school kids were to bully a kid with a mental disorder. It's not like they chose to be born with it. Eric excused himself and went over to the vending machine to get a drink when he ran into Andy, his hair was messy, he had sleep in his eyes, and he wore his glasses, something he would do when he was in a rush and forgot his contacts. 

"Woah Andy, what the hell happened to you?" Eric asked out of curiosity.

"Junjin and I, we stayed at the hospital last night, and uhm. Tested the durability of the bunk beds in the intern's lounge in the basement. Uhm, the bed frames are very strong, if not a little creaky. Great beds." Andy rambled as Eric laughed out loud.

"Aigoo, why not do it in the comfort of your own home? I mean our dorm is not far from here."

"Junjin said that recently he felt that there was always someone watching him, he doesn't really want to leave the hospital unless he has to", Andy yawned.

"Now that you mentioned it, Hyesung and I did too, just the other day we went to the mart to buy groceries and when we got out to the parking lot it felt like we had a pair of eyes on us" 

"Maybe it's all the horror movies that we've been watching lately, Train to Busan scared the hell out of me, I thought every patient in the ER were going to turn into zombies", Andy held himself as he felt a breeze down his spine. 

"Well anyway, why don't you go back to the dorm and take a shower, take my car, if my guess serves me correct you got here in Jinnies car", Eric said as he threw Andy his car keys, Eric was not usually one to share his new Tesla, but it seemed like Andy really needed it. 

"Thanks, Hyung, I'll be back in an hour and a half"

"Take Jinnie with you, my guess is he needs a shower and a quick shave as well" Eric shouted to Andy before he disappeared into the corridor. 

Eric made his way back into the ER, Kyesang had just arrived, Minwoo threw him his coat and stethoscope, "Dr. Yoon, you just missed a case this morning of toxic substance ingestion." Minwoo teased. Usually Kyesang would have a snarky remark in his back pocket, but today he kept a quiet and straight face. "What's wrong Kyesang-ah?" Minwoo asked as he instinctively grabbed his wrist causing Kyesang to groan in pain. Kyesang didn't even notice that he burnt his hand on the spilt coffee from this morning until now. "Yoon Kyesang, sit down", Minwoo ordered as he reached over for a burn kit. Kyesang sat down, his expression was still blank. Eric and Minwoo knew that if Kyesang did not want to say it, then they should not ask, hence the three of them sat silently by the nurse's zone and allowed Minwoo to bandage him up. When Minwoo finished he looked at Kyesangs face and waited for the man to say something and after a minute or so Kyesang turned his head and looked Minwoo and Eric in the eyes. "I think I saw Vincent on my way to work"

Finally, Andy had persuaded Junjin to leave his office and go back to the dorm with him, he dragged the older man into the vehicle and listened to him whine from start to finish, "No Andy, I have a really bad feeling that if we leave the hospital something might happen, please just turn the car back" Junjin was tugging onto Andys sleeve. "Jin-ah, just a 10 minutes shower, a shower isn't going to hurt right? Please, babe, I smell funky and so do you, you don't want the kids to run away from you in the pediatrics department now do you?" Andy had just pulled up in front of the apartment, he dragged Junjin from the car to the elevator, "I mean if you are scared to be in the living room by yourself, you could always join me in the shower?" Andy wiggled his eyebrows, Junjin shot him a conspicuous smile and wrapped his arms around the smaller man's waist, "That sounds like the best idea you had all-day Dr. Lee", he said as he pecked Andy on the cheek. 

After their intimate shower, they headed back to the car to go back to the hospital, Andy was about to open the driver's side door when Junjin shouted from the other side, "Behind you!" Andy ducked down and watched as a baseball bat smashed the top of Eric's shiny new car. He looked up and saw a man dressed in all black, his face was covered by a black surgical mask and a ball cap. Andy ran over to Junjins side and tried to get into the car, but the unknown man had pushed Junjin onto the ground and swung his bat to his head, Junjin was knocked out on the cold pavement, "Please, whoever you are you don't have to do this, we can talk this out like civilized gentlemen" Andy held his hands up, the man pulled out a syringe from his pocket, Andy had tried to fight him off, but eventually the man had the upper hand and injected an unknown substance into Andys neck rendering him unconscious.

Eric's phone was buzzing like hell, he pulled it out of his pocket and it was his car sending him a distress signal that someone or something had broken his right-hand side window, Eric didn't want to panic so he attempted to call Andy, it went straight to voicemail. He then tried to call Junjin, it rang and it rang, but eventually too went to voicemail. He got the coordinates for the location of his car and ran into the Director's office, "Dongwan, I think Andy and Junjin are in trouble, they aren't picking up my phone calls, and I lent Andy my car this morning and now it's telling me that my car might've been robbed, Kyesang thought he saw someone suspicious this morning at the cafe, I need you to come with me to find them" Eric rambled in a panic, his face was turning pale. 

"Eric, breathe, let me get my keys, did you tell the others?" Dongwan was reaching over to grab his coat and held onto Eric's arm. 

"No, I don't want to startle the hospital, I'll let them know when we find the boys."

Dongwan started his car and entered the GPS coordinates that Eric provided him, during the car ride to the location Dongwan had to continuously remind Eric to breathe as the Neurosurgeon was deep in his thoughts. 

Dongwan pulled up to the apartment where their dorm was located and spotted Eric's car. Eric jumped out of the vehicle before Dongwan could finish parking and sprinted towards where he thought the boys might be, he halted in his steps when he saw Junjin laying on the ground, motionless, with a pile of blood under his head. Eric was frozen in his steps. Dongwan ran next to him and landed his eyes on Junjin, he immediately checked for a pulse and sighed in relief when he found one, "Eric, Eric! Help me here!" Dongwan shouted to him, Eric knelt down to Junjin and secured his head in the standard first aid position. Dongwan was lightly tapping Junjins face, "Jinnie-ah, Junjin, Park Choongjae, wake up", Junjin wrinkled his eyebrows and immediately tried to sit up,

"Woah, Woah, stay still, you had a head injury, possible concussion." Eric placed his hand on the mans back and shoulder to support him while Dongwan was examing the laceration on his head and held his ripped handkerchief to the side of his head. "Eric, get him into the car we have to get him ahead CT", Dongwan helped the two of them into the car, Junjin was feeling woozy. "Jin-ah, Junjin, look at me. Where's Andy? What happened to Andy?" Eric asked. As if he was having an epiphany Junjin widened his eyes, "Eric Hyung, Dongwan Hyung, someone has Andy, someone- they uhm, they kidnapped Andy." Junjin then out in the backseat of Dongwans' car.