Rain rain go away

Come through

Eric was on his way to the dormitory, the rain came pouring down in the bustling city and he suddenly craved barbeque. He pulled over across the convenience store and ran in to buy a pack of cigarettes. He tapped the bottom of the box to pull out a stick and stood outside as he inhaled the nicotine. His phone rang, different from his usual ringtone, this jingle was sweeter, it was softer, it was for Hyesung. "Dr. Mun, I was wondering if you would fancy Dinner tonight, the samgyeopsal place near Jamsil, if not it's fine, I wanted ggogi and suddenly remembered it was your day off today." Hyesungs tone was assertive, Eric took another puff of his cigarette before putting out with the soles of his shoes. "Sure, I'll meet you there in an hour" he was now smiling at this phone, Hyesung replied a simple, "Okay", before hanging up on him. 
Instead of the dorm, Eric now headed towards his apartment, he took a quick shower and put on a fresh-pressed button-up shirt, he rolled the sleeves just below the elbow revealing his masculine forearms and last, but not least a spritz of his favourite cologne. 
Hyesung arrived at the restaurant first, we grabbed the table closet to the window, the restaurant ahjumma handed him the menu and he browsed through his options, after processing his thoughts for a while he ordered for the table. From outside, Hyesung can see Eric running across the street trying to avoid the rain, but it was inevitable without an umbrella. "Sorry, I'm late", Eric said panting as he took a seat. "No, I'm just early. I ordered already", Hyesung said avoiding Eric's gaze. "Did you get a beer?"  Eric asked, he was now nibbling on the side dishes. "No alcohol, I'm on call tonight", Hyesung signed, he was now too nibbling o the side dishes. "I've never been to this place before, is it really good?" Eric asked to fill the awkward silence. "yeah, the restaurant owner's daughter was a patient of mine from a while ago, I come here often", Hyesung said chewing on some radish. After a few more minutes of awkward silence, the food came to the table, the ahjumma stepped outside and brought in hot burning charcoal and placed it underneath the grilling rack. "Remind me do you eat garlic?" Hyesung asked as he placed the meat on the grill, Eric nodded, "I'll eat anything you cook", he murmured. Hyesung passed Eric a sauce plate, he stared at it in confusion. "Uhm, what is this", Eric asked, Hyesung looked up and replied "Sesame oil with salt and pepper", Eric continued to examine the sauce plate, it looked like a plate of sesame oil with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, just a light sprinkle. He took another sauce plate and made his rendition of ssamjang. The meal just finished cooking and the stew and noodles have arrived as well, the two ate in silence. Eric took a piece of meat and dunked it into the sesame oil, "This is good, it brings out the savouriness of the ggogi", he lied. "I'm glad you like it, your ssamjang is good as well, if you sprinkle in more sesame seeds it'll be even better," Hyesung stated. "Why did you invite me to dinner tonight?" Eric asked in curiosity, "It's raining" Hyesung said and took a sip of the piping hot kimchi jigae, "and?" Eric looked him in the eyes, "You always say you crave barbeque when it rains,  and I kinda did too" Hyesung now looking back at Eric. "Hyesung ah, can you make me a wrap like how you used to?" Eric said looking out the window admiring the rain, Hyesung immediately grabbed a piece of lettuce and built his ideal wrap for Eric, he reached out and was waiting for him to take it, Eric sat, arms unmoving, he simply opened his mouth gesturing for Hyesung to feed him. Hyesung shoved the wrap in his mouth and continued eating, Eric chewed as he looked at Hyesung, tears welling up in his eyes, he turned his head towards the window trying not to be noticed, but Hyesung noticed. "Did I put too much garlic? I'm sorry, here have some water", he handed Eric the cup as Eric nodded, as he was sipping the water he inner monologued to himself, "The wrap was fine Hyesungie. I missed you."
They finish their meal promptly, both pulled out a pack of cigarettes outside the restaurant and stood as they admired the rain. Eric turned and looked at Hyesung blowing smoke out, the imagery of self was like art as if Eric was looking at Hyesung in slow motion. "Do you still love me?" Eric suddenly asked, startling Hyesung as he choked, Eric rubbing his back, "What makes you think that? Just cause I invite you out for one dinner doesn't mean , Dr. Mun", Hyesung raised his voice, "I think I still love you" Eric whispered, "Then why did you break up with me last year!" Hyesung yelled. "I-", he was suddenly cut off when his pager rang and then Hyesungs pager rang as well. "We'll continue this later, See you at the hospital," Eric said before running off. 
On the drive to the hospital Hyesung thought of all the things he's wanted to ask Eric, Why did they break up out of the blue? Why did he never answer my calls? Did he get another partner? Was he ashamed that I was a man? He slapped his steering wheel out of frustration. 
Eric while driving had tears swelling up in his eyes, he had missed the company and embrace of Hyseung so damn much,  he couldn't tell Hyesung why they broke up, he couldn't tell anyone, he loved Hyesung, matter a fact he still does. 
It was when the 2 of them were still in the early years of attending, Eric's mother was one of the members of the board. Back then it was said that Eric was a prodigy and he would be the next head of Neuro at the main hospital in Seoul, making the youngest in the history of the establishment to become head of Neuro. Eric's parents were your traditional conservative Korean parents and when they found out that Eric was finally dating they were over the moon, but when they found out Hyesungs gender, not only did they cut funding to the Peds department but they gave Eric a hard time, Eric still remembered the conversation as if it was yesterday, 
"Cut ties with that man now or kiss your Neurosurgeon dreams goodbye" his Mother shouted, "I don't care about being head of Neuro, I just want to be with Hyesungie!" Eric retaliated and felt a slap to the face, "No son of mine is going to go around dilly-dallying with another man, you are going to fight for the head of Neuro, and you are going to be head of Neuro, or I'm going to make sure that Peds guy your seeing lose his licence." Fate sure is funny, Eric broke up with Hyesung and because of that Hyesung moved to another branch, and a few months later Eric followed, a rumour was that during a routine surgery Eric stopped halfway and called another surgeon to finish, he then begged the director to send him away. Every single day, there is not a second where he does not miss Hyesung. 
Hyesung rushed into the ER ing his sleeves and pulling on a pair of gloves, "What's the situation?" he asked the nurse, "9-year-old boy, parents admitted him due to abdominal pain and shortness of breath, vitals are stable, blood work came back and we suspect NSAID overdose", Hyesung looked over the chart, "Get him a liver function test, and start a central line with 500cc of normal saline, 3 ampoules of sodium bicarbonate every hour" Hyesung ordered the nurse, "Hi, kiddo! I'm Dr. Jung, is it okay if I feel your tummy for a little bit?" the little boy nodded, "Now tell me, mam, what medications did you give your son?", "Hojun had a fever for the last few days and this morning he was complaining about a headache our housekeeper didn't know he was on fever medication and gave him a single aspirin", she explained in a panic, "The dosage?" Hyesung asks as he listened to the boys breathing, "2 tablespoons full of children's Tylenol and 500mg of aspirin", "Has he been drinking enough water in the past 24 hours", he asked again, "About 4 cups of water since yesterday", "Okay, I'm going to give him some pain medication and give him an oxygen strip to help him breathe, after he finishes the IV administration of the Sodium Biocarbonate I will check on his blood work levels again, we'll move him up to Pediatrics shortly," he gave slight bow to the mother and headed to the nurses station. 
Eric ran in slightly wet from the rain, "Eric, I have a construction worker that well from 3 stories, unresponsive, slight pupil dilation, BP 160/90" Dongwan informed him, "CT and chest Xray?" Eric asked while examing the man on the bed, "CT shoes a hemorrhaging closer to the brain stem, no chest bleeding", Dongwan handed him the films, "Okay send him up to an OR now", Dongwan ran over to do just that. 
Minwoo was up in the Orthodontics department doing his general rounds, hen then went back into his office to finish signing off some charts, just another Tuesday. Kyesang came knocking on his door, "Come in", Minwoo smiled as he saw Kyesang walk in, "Minwoo, Dongwan told me to bring these charts up to you to sign off", "Thanks, is it busy in the ER today? I haven't heard you guys call for an Ortho consult" Minwoo asked, "Just the usual, nothing special. I think Eric and Hyesung had a fight or something they both seem kind of Moody, Junjin is down is GS doing a consult for a twisted ankle and I have not heard or seen Andy at all today", Kyesang informed him, "Does Junjin need help with the twisted ankle?" Minwoo looked up, "He's in second-year residency if he can handle open chest surgery I'm sure he can handle a twisted ankle", Kyesang laughed, "Where's Andy?" Minwoo asked, "I genuinely don't know, I don't think he's on the today, I think he's a bit under the weather lately it seems like there is always something on his mind", Kyesang stood up and headed towards the door, "I'll talk to him when I see him, also Dongwan and Hyesungs Birthday is next month, you wanna help me throw a surprise party?" Kyesang raised his eyebrows to Minwoo, "Yeah, make a kakao chat and we can organize on there, and oh, what do you think he wants for his birthday" Minwoo bit his lips, "Minwoo-ah he wants you" Kyesang laughed as he left his office Minwoo threw a pen at him but missed a smirk found his way to Minwoos lips. "If he wants me, then me he shall get," Minwoo whispered to himself. 
On his way to the ER, Kyesang bumped into Junjin, "Jinnie! How was the consult?" Kyesang walked towards the vending machine behind him, "Ice, elevation and bandage wrap should do the trick" Junjin while yawning, Kyesang handed him an energy drink before purchasing another one for himself, he heard a loud clunk from the machine and reached down to obtain his reward. "Have you talked to Andy lately? Dongwan tells me that he might be having some personal issues at home, he seems kinda out of it all the time." Kyesang downed his can of energy drink fast, "I haven't, but you know how he is, he's always so quiet, he will not talk if he doesn't have to, Dongwan told me he doesn't go home because of his family? What's the deal with that?" Junjin asked while throwing crumpling the empty can, "You didn't know? Andy's grandparents own the largest share of the main hospital, It was said that Andy's father was going to inherit it, but a year back he got his licence revoked for medical malpractice, his grandparents are refusing to give Andy a chance because Andys birth Mother and father never got married, meaning Andy is an illegitimate child, hence he has no status in the family. I heard Andy moved in when his mother passed away when he was a child." Kyesang explained, "how the hell am I only finding out about this now?" Jinjin said in shock, "Come on, everyone knew before Andy transferred here the rumours already spread like wildfire no thanks to our resident chatterbox Dr. Kim", Kyesang said walking towards the ER, "Please talk to him for me Jinnie-ah, he likes you, he'll listen to you, trust me", Kyesang then ran off into the corridor. 
Junjin pulled out his cellphone and sent a text to Andy, 
J [Are you free tonight?]
A [Why? Do they need me in the ER?]
J [No, wanna grab a drink with me] 
[It's okay if you don't want to]
A [Sure where and when?]
J [9 pm, Hongdae Pocha] 
A [K]
Junjin placed his phone back into the pocket and headed to the lounge to get changed. Outside the lounge he could hear Eric and Hyesung arguing, "Did you have any idea how heartbroken I was Eric Mun, I cried cause I didn't understand, I thought I had done something wrong. I was so ing depressed, because of you and now every time I see you or hear your name I get so frustrated, and now you ask me if I still love you? that, Eric, I hate you, and I will hate you until my very last breath," Hyesung yelled from the top of his lungs, suddenly the door swung open and Hyesung push Junjin out of the way to storm out leaving Eric standing there, eyes red, hands trembling, heartbroken. Junjin opened his mouth to say something before Eric too pushed him out of the way and stormed out. 
Junjin pulled on his flight jacket and stopped in front of the mirror to fix his hair before heading out to meet Andy. The drive was not bad, from the hospital to city centre was about a 40-minute drive, Junjin arrived and saw Andy waiting outside, he looked different, Andy would usually have his glasses on, hair neatly parted and styled, dress pants, dress shoes with a button-down white shirt, right now Andy was in ripped jeans, and a brand name crewneck sweater, no glasses, hair unstyled, with his bangs just covering his eyebrows. "Am I late?" Junjin asked, "Right on time 8:58, you even had two minutes to spare, did you come from the hospital? Did you eat yet", Andy asked "Yes and No", Junjin answered back, "I used to come here during the med school days", Junjin found a seat at the tent bar and took a menu, "I've never been to a tent bar before, it's quite interesting, I like it" Andy Commented, Junjin called over the owner and ordered while Andy was observing his surroundings. "Why did you call me out here?" Andy asked taking a drink out of his beer, "Nothing much, just wanted to hang out as friends outside of the hospital. You came for a little over a year already, but I don't think I've ever hung out with you without the other members," Junjin smiled at him and Andy smiled back, that sent an adrenaline pump to Junjins system as his heart now beat faster and he could feel his ears turning red. "Wow, one drink and you go red?" Andy laughed, Junjin Admired the way he laughed, showing his rows of teeth, Junjin noticed his cute little overbite and how adorable he looks right now, he coughed to clear his throat. 


The food now arrive at the table, they had a seafood platter and different types of shellfish in front of them, Andy startled when I saw movement on the seafood platter, "What? Don't tell me you never had Sannakji before?", Junjin looked shocked. Andy shook his head, "I never had that or this either", Andy pointed at the sliced sea pineapples and sea cucumbers, "Here try it", Junjin placed a slice onto his plate and watched as Andy picked it up with his chopsticks, onto the sauce bowl and then into his mouth, Junjin stared at him in anticipation. "So, how does it taste?", "This is great!" Andy smiled and took a shot of soju. Junjin smiled as he watched Andy eat, quietly deshelled the clams and placed it on Andys bowl when he wasn't looking. It was getting later into the night and the small tent bar now became very crowded, "Junjin-ssi, I have a question for you" Andy said he raised his voice so Junjin could hear him better, "By any chance, and please don't take this into offence, do you have a girlfriend or boyfriend?" Andy asked Junjin felt his heart stop. He shook his head, "Not in a very long time" he brushed off. "You know, Kyesang asked me to check up on you cause I think the Hyungs are worried that you're keeping your distance lately", Junjin suddenly said trying to change the topic, "Oh, it's nothing, I just have an important surgery that I'm leading next week so I guess I'm a little tense over that", Andy shrugged off, Junjin nodded and poured himself a drink accidentally spilling some on the table, Andy stood up to grab some tissue when a younger gentlemen accidentally brush shoulders with Andy, Junjin noticed Andy wince in pain, the other gentle bowed and apologized, Junjin stood up and went towards Andy, "Andy are you okay?" he asked in a worrying tone, "I'm fine" Andy smiled, Junjin placed his hand on Andys shoulder with a little bit of pressure, Andy winced in pain, "This doesn't seem fine", Junjin said. Andy pushed his hand away, "Please Junjin-ssi, mind your business, I said I'm fine", Andy said as he pushes Junjin away from him, Andy placed his hand under his left rib cage indicating that he's in pain. Junjin paid for the meal and dragged Andy to his car, "Did you drive?" Junjin asked his voice laced with frustration. "No I took a cab", Andy said. "Good, get in the car" Junjin sighed as he got into the car, "Junjin-ssi, I'm really fine if you could just drop me off at the station I-" Andy tried to persuade Junjin to let him leave, "Shut up." Junjin sped his car back to the hospital,

Junjin pulled Andy into an examination room. "Take your shirt off", Junjin demanded. "Excuse me," Andy startled. "Take it off here, or I can cause a scene and get you admitted for real let Dongwan Hyung take care of you", Junjin stated. Andy reluctantly took off his crew neck, he struggles to pull the shirt over his head. When the shirt was off, numerous bruises and a cut was visible on his back his hip. Junjin pulled on a pair of gloves and started examining the wounds and disinfected the cut near his hip in silence. "Did you join a fight club", Junjin asked as he peeled open a new adhesive bandage. "I guess you can say that", Andy exhaled, "Is it your Dad", Andy looked at Junjin questionably and shook your head, "So your stepmother then?" Andys eyed widened wondering how Junjin knew, "Come on Andy, I've seen domestic violence cases, you're 26, Andy. Take care of yourself.", he placed the plaster on the wound, "I know Junjin-ssi", Andy hung his head low, "For s sake, stop calling me Junjin-ssi, Andy I'm only 5 months older then you, just address me as Junjin" He yelled and Andy flinched, "I'm sorry for raising my voice at you, I'm just angry seeing you in this condition, please understand" Andy shifted on the bed and attempted to grab his crewneck, Junjin noticed and grabbed it for him, "We can talk about it another time if you're uncomfortable now", Junjin said as he watches Andy pull on his shirt, "I'm going to administer 50mg of morphine through a central line with 500cc of warm saline, you're going to sit here and finish it for the next hour, and then you and I are going to talk because I care, you may think that I don't, but Andy we care." Junjin rolls Andys sleeve to disinfect the area before inserting the IV, to their surprise the door suddenly flew open and Kyesang made his way into the room, "What was up with all the commotion, I could hear you from my office-" Kyesang said. He then laid eyes on the situation in front of him and calmly walked towards Junjin while maintaining eye contact with Andy. 
"Jinnie, what happened?" Kyesang asked as Junjin hung the IV bag next to the bag, "Leave him alone for a bit, I don't think he wants to walk about it yet", Junjin gestured towards the door and they both headed outside. 
"Jin-ah, what the hell? I only told you to go talk to him," Kyesang looked furious, "Hyung, I know and I did, he got beaten up by his parents I think, it doesn't look too bad, but it seems like he is in a lot of pain both mentally and physically." Junjin explained. 
"I'm ordering a chest x-ray, I'll get Dongwan to talk to him if there's anyone that can get to him its Dongwan." Kyesang heaved a sigh.