Interns

Come through

"Let me give you a scenario, in a case where the ER is at full capacity you get a call from emergency responders, two trauma patients are 5 minutes away from us. The first patient has 2 gunshot wounds, one in his upper shoulder and one in his stomach region, the second patient had a car accident and is now showing signs of crush syndrome, delayed pupil response and shrinkage of arterial veins. It's you and the other resident who is currently in the OR. Who do you call first? Ortho? or General?"

Dongwan looked at the group of interns in front of him. They all look at each other in confusion and Dongwan continues, "In the time that you are contemplating which department to call patient number 2 falls in V-fib, and patient number 1 has his blood pressure dropping at an alarming rate, who do you call?" 

The interns have sweat forming on their foreheads from thinking so hard, then someone raised their hand to answer, "I would call ortho and perform CPR on the TA patient with the crush syndrome when a rhythm is returned I would enter a chest tube to drain the liquids in his chest and then I would call General" 

Dongwan smiled like a proud father, "Correct. Now-" Eric suddenly butted into the conversation, "No the correct answer is, you run down to the staff room and wake Doctor Kim from his slumber and then Doctor Kim will personally summon Dr. Lee from Ortho" he laughed and watched the interns wrinkle their eyebrow in confusion.

"He's kidding, don't listen to him" 

"Right kids remember, when you have to choose your department to major in, remember to choose Neurosurgery okay?"

"Please go away Dr. Mun." 

Dongwan continued to bring the interns to do rounds with him and ran into Hyesung, "Kids, this is Doctor Jung of Pediatric Surgery" They all bowed at him and Hyesung greeted in return, "Wow, their so young, so baby, innocent and naive... I feel old" Hyesung sighs. "Anyways good luck to everyone I hope to see you back next year for your residency program in pediatrics" Hyesung winks. 


"Nurse, can you please have the next patient come in" Andy smiles. 

A young man enters the room and places down his books, "Good afternoon Doctor Lee" 

"It's been a while Jaemin, I see here from your charts that a few days ago you were brought in due to chest pains, I have the ultrasound results. 4 years ago we performed a left ventricle repair surgery and it seems like there is a tear on the upper left atrium. I will have you admitted tomorrow and we will perform emergency surgery on Tuesday if scheduling permits." Andy explained to the young man. 

"Sir, can I ask you to do me a favour? Can we push the surgery Until Friday? I can be admitted right after my final on Thursday, please, I am going into grad school next year, I can't stay back a year, please." 

Andy looked at him, he knew that if the situation gets any worse than this man's life will be in danger, "Jaemin-ah, if you die then you can't go to school." He said sternly. 

"Please..." 

ANdy takes off his glasses and rubs his temples, why does he have to be such a softie? "Fine you will be admitted right after your finals on Thursday or god help me I will drag you here, fro the time being I will prescribe some pain killers and Lisinopril" 

"Thank you, thank you so much. 


Minwoo was off today, the other guys were coming over to his place for drinks tonight so he went to the market to stock up. He had to take into consideration everyone's preferences, the easiest person to shop for was Junjin, tangerines and mandarin oranges, that man can eat tangerines until he turns orange. 

Minwoo finally arrived back to his apartment after his trip out and started cleaning up, he fills the fridge with poisons of choice, soju, beer, and more soju. 

Minwoo sent a text to Dongwan, 

[Babe, everything is set up, can you pick up a bag of ice on your way here?]

A few seconds later he gets a response, [Who needs ice when Hyesung is in the room lol]

[True, but seriously we need ice]

[I know, I know, anything else?]

[Do you still have cigarettes? If not can you pick up a pack of Raison from 7/11?]

[Sure]

[Thanks, Love you]

[You are welcome. I love me too.]

Minwoo laughed out loud and shook his head. "What a dork" he whispered to himself. 


"Doctor Jinnie, I don't want to have it cleaned with alcohol" a little girl was pleading to the poor guy in the ER. 

"Sweetie, it's okay, it's just a small scrape, I'm going to use this cotton ball and I will wipe it so fast that you won't even feel the alcohol burn okay?" 

The girl shook her head and proceeded to cry, her mother was trying to calm her down. Junjin looked around and pick up a price of paper and began folding, in the end, he folded a paper crane and handed it to the little girl, she stopped crying and began fidgeting with the origami, Junjin got her distracted and began cleaning the wound on her knees.

"Perfect, and not even a single tear was wasted, as your reward you get to choose, Chocolate or Lollipop?" he held out the two options on his palm. 

"Ch- Chocolate, please" 

He handed her the prize and ruffled her hair. 

"Eommoni, you can pick up her ointment downstairs and then she will be good to go, avoid having water touch the wound for the first 48 hours to avoid infection."

She nodded her head and thanked Junjin, he then headed over to the nurses' station to complete the paperwork. 

Taehak and another resident came in through the main entrance, "Oh Hyung you're early" Junjin greeted. 

"Yeah I wanted to avoid the rush-hour traffic, So tonight you have me and 2 other residents and 4 interns, who is on call?" Taehak asked as he pulled on his white coat. 

"Minwoo is on call tonight, but I'm sure our reliable Hyung can handle it right?" 

Taehak gave him a smirk, "Of course, you boys enjoy yourself tonight, I want pictures of the embarrassing you guys do while drunk tomorrow okay?"

Junjin scoffs, "You got it Hyung, I'll record everything just for you" 

Eric and Hyesung come down the corridor together, Taehak laughs, "Your parents are here to pick you up from school" Junjin looks up and sees the pair walking towards him. 

"Jinnie, are you taking my car or is Andy picking you up?" Hyesung asks as he takes the stethoscope off his neck and pulls off his coat. 

"Andy is getting a ride with Dongwan Hyung, I guess I'll go with you guys?" 

Eric nodded and took the coat from Hyesung, "We are ready to go, I'm going to get changed, we'll meet you in the staff room" 


"BOTTOMS UP WOOOOHOOOO!" Minwoo shouted from the top of his lungs, it had only been an hour and the room is now lined with empty beer bottles and bright green soju bottles, 

Hyesung slammed his drink down and began pouring another round, Eric was looking around for snacks, "Andy pass Hyung the choco puffs" Andy then picked the box over with his foot. 

"Which department do you think will get the most residents next year?" Minwoo asked the room

"GENERRRRAL!" Dongwan shouted. 

"No. Cardio," Andy said sternly. 

"Hmmmmm Nope, wrong. Of course, it's Pediatrics" Junjin said and Hyesung gave him a high-five.

As they all pout about which department is the best Minwoo turns on the karaoke machine. 

"Who's singing first?" 

"Minwoo, punch in 78950 and give the Mic to Jinnie" Eric demanded. 

The song came onto screen [내 마음에 비친 내 모습 Myself in my heart ]

Junjins stand on the couch and over towers everybody, he gets himself into the emotion to sing a ballad, everybody else has their phone light to be used as light sticks. 

"That's my boyfriend!" Andy shouts as he shoots down another drink. 

The rest of the night consisted of a lot of singing, somewhere in between Minwoo ended up wrestling Eric, Dongwan got kneed in the stomach by Minwoo as he tried to break up the fight. It is now 4 am, Junjin is cuddled up with Andy on the couch, because of his height Junjin is crunch up on the couch like an armadillo. Andy is drooling onto Junjins chest. 

Eric is starfished across the hardwood floor, Hyesung is using his thigh as a pillow. 

Minwoo and Dongwan are in the bedroom, doing things that were not suitable for children *wink wink*

In the bathroom, we find a little sticky-note on the bathtub. [Reserved for Kyesang.]