Eulogy

Come through

No one ever tells you what to prepare for at a funeral, they don't teach you about these things in school. No one tells you that you have to choose a casket and a plate, or what should be written on the tombstone, it all just happens. 
Kyesang didn't have much of a family in Seoul, the rumour was that his parents left him with his aunt when he was young and moved to Japan. Kyesang had a few friends that he used to be close within the highschool, Dongwan took out his phone and tried to call them, only Taewoo and Danny picked up the phone. 
"Hello, is this Danny Ahn?" Dongwan asked politely.
"Uhm, yeah. Who is this?" Dongwan had almost forgotten the sound of Danny's voice, they met once at the bar when Kyesang was overly drunk and needed someone to take him home. 
"Danny it's Dongwan." 
"Hey! Oh gosh, it's been a while! How are things at the hospital? Busy? I haven't seen you, boys, in ages! I lost contact with you two once I moved to LA"
"Oh, you live in LA now?"
"Uhm yeah, an opportunity came up and I took over a friend's bar here, but anyway, what's with the sudden phone call?"
"I'm sorry to disturb you, it must be late at night over there right now, but uhm, I don't know how to say this, is it possible for you to come back to Seoul this weekend?"
"I'm sorry Dongwan, but I can't just leave for a few days, things are only starting to pick up here and-"
Dongwan cut him off, "It's about Kyesang. He's left us. The funeral is on Sunday morning"
The line was silent on the other end for a brief moment. 
"I'll be there late Saturday evening, I'll fly out tomorrow," Danny replied, the preppiness from his voice was gone, he sounded grim. 
"Thank you, Dan, I'll see you soon."
"Thank you for taking care of this Dongwan, I'll help you arrange things beforehand on Sunday." 
"Okay, have a safe flight"
Dongwan hung up the phone. Joon and Hoyoungs phones wouldn't go through. He gives Taewoo a call.
"Is this Taewoo? I'm Kim Dongwan, a friend and colleague of Kesangs." Taewoo was quick to answer the phone.
"Yeah, what's going on?" Taewoo caught on quickly saving Dongwan from the small talk. 
"He's passed away unexpectedly, we are holding his funeral this Sunday at 10 am, I was wondering if you could attend?"
"Wait, what do you mean? Kyesang? Our Yoon Kyesang? The boy that was obsessed with Pac-man in the 12th grade?" Taewoo was in utter shock.
"Yes."
He scoffed over the phone, "Uhm, yeah, I'll be there." 
"Thank you."
Dongwan sat in his office, he stared the ceiling until his shoulders tensed. 
"Director Kim, you are needed in the ER, Dr. Hyun needs your assistance." An intern informed Dongwan, 
Taehak had been holding down the fort for the past few days, with Eric, Minwoo and Hyesung running their respective departments and having to help in the ER, they were certainly short-staffed. Junjin has not left Andys side, he goes home between 2 am-4 am to shower and he goes straight back to the hospital. Andys grandmother had attempted to visit once when she down to arrange Vincent's funeral, but Junjin had refused to let her into the room. No matter how much of a Vincent was he was still her grandchild, and the fact that you have to send your grandchild away is sorrowful, she now had only Andy left. She didn't want to lose him as well. Junjin got in an argument with her outside of the ICU yesterday. 
"Dr. Park, I have the right to see my grandson." Halmoni bit her cheeks. 
"No, I'm afraid not Chairman Lee. You have lost all rights as Andys Grandmother. To you, he is only money. I security deposit for when you step down from your position. Have you ever thought about how he felt? Have you ever asked him what he wanted to do? What his dreams were? You pulled him away from his mother, you separated him from his friends, and forced him to do your bidding, for 's sake, you beat the out of him over things that are out of his control, and now you wanna pretend as you care about your precious grandson? Please spare me." 
She raised her arm into mid-air and was about to slap Junjin when he caught her hands and stepped closer, "Don't you dare lay a single finger on him again. Thank you for your time Chairman, but you may leave now." He gave her an artificial smile, he bowed and gestured his arm towards the door. He watched as she angrily marched out the door and disappeared into the corridors. 
"Andy-ah, wah, you should have seen that! I almost peed my pants, he faces was like those Stonehedge statues and she was so red that I thought she was going to have a right in front of me." Junjin laughed as he closed the door behind him. 
Andy was plugged into a dialysis machine with a few tubes hanging out of both arms, a tube was protruding from his slim pale face that was necessary to help him breathe, it had been like this for the past three days. 
"Andy I saw on the news that the U.S president was getting impeached! Can you believe it! Aren't you glad you never moved to LA, I mean it's not like our president is whole lot better, but" He suddenly stopped mid-sentence "Well, anyway, I bought that vacuum cleaner that you crazed about last time, the robot that goes around your apartment for you, an ad came up on my phone and it was almost half off! I plan on sticking some eyes on it and naming it Alfred, you know from Batman, I can be Batman and you can be Robin and we will work together to fight dust mites in Gotham- no I mean my apartment!"
Junjin smiled at Andy, hoping for Andy to give a response, anything. Nothing happened. He took the boys cold, pale hands and held them tightly. 
"To whichever deity it may concern, I'm running out of ideas and I'm desperate. Please, I'm willing to lose 10 years of my life if you could please just help him. He's never done anything wrong in his life. He's only helped people, he's always put others in front of himself. I'm not sure how this whole praying thing works, but please hear me out, okay, I'll do anything you want me to." Junjin finished his so-called prayer and watch for a miracle to happen. Now if this were melodrama it'd be the perfect time for Andy to wiggle a finger, our show some action on the monitors. Nothing happened. 
Minwoo and Taehak were swamped in the ER, Eric is in surgery and Hyesung is doing rounds in Pediatrics, 
"Have you paged Doctor- no I mean Director Kim yet?" Minwoo shouted over to a nurse, he was attending to a patient that had an industrial pipe stabbed through his abdomen. Taehak is dealing with a patient who came in with numerous lacerations on her arm, a few have damaged the tendons and arteries causing profuse bleeding, from his years of experience he could tell that it was done during self-harm. 
Dongwan came sprinting into the ER, there was already a patient waiting for him in bed four, 
"22-year-old female, got admitted by her roommate after she found her unresponsive at home, FAST (Focused Assessment with sonography in trauma) shows signs of trauma in the subxiphoid and upper left quadrant" An intern reported back to Dongwan, 
"Administer one ampoule of Sodium Bicarbonate, and start a central line. Looks like a traumatic aortic rupture." Dongwan said as he listened to her breathing sounds with his stethoscope. "Did she come in with someone?" 
"Yeah, her roommate is outside.
Dongwan pulled the curtains back and found the roommate looking over to his direction. 
'Did you come in with her?" Dongwan asked and she quickly nodded. 
"Did your friends ever suffer a blunt hit to the chest? Or does she do any heavy weightlifting?"
"I'm not sure, Sumi is a taekwondo instructor, she was complaining about back pain and arm numbness this morning, she took some pain killers and went to work, when I got home I found her unconscious already." 
"Okay, I believe your friend might've been injured previously, but never saw a doctor about it, there's bleeding in her chest and she needs to be sent to surgery right away, are you able to contact any of her immediate family members?" 
"Uhm, her family is in Australia, it's just me." 
"There are some documents that I'm going to need you to go over, we'll send your friend to the OR shortly", he gave her a slight bow and headed back to the bedside. Usually, with cases like this, it would go directly to their Cardio surgeon, Andy. Dongwan closed his eyes and took a deep breath, he paged the anesthesiologist to prepare an OR for him. 
Over in Taehak's bed, the young woman was throwing a fit and flung the tray onto the ground. 
"I don't want your help, I don't need to come to the hospital! Just let me go home!" She screamed so loud that even the radiology department at the other end could hear her. 
"Miss, please calm down. You have damaged tendons, and if you ever want to use your left hand again, we are going to need you to stay still, or I will have to admit you and get this done while you're under anesthesia in surgery." Taehak calmly explained, he watched as she stopped fighting and gestured for the nurse to give him a new suture kit. He irrigated the larger would and began stitching back the palmaris longis and dorsal tubercle, he managed to finish in less than an hour, he stitched up the other open cuts and stared at the girl. 
"As your physician, I am booking you an appointment with our psychiatrist. Instead of thinking about all the horrible things this life has to offer, think about the positives. When you wake up in the morning the sun still shines, coffee still exists, flowers still bloom, there's so much more you can do. So before you try yo end it all, make a to-do list, write down all the things that you want to do, then do them. When you get to the bottom of that list, I'm sure you'll realize that life isn't so ty after all." Taehak finished his little speech and walked away. The nurses all heard and gave him a thumbs up. 
Minwoo was now in surgery, the repair was harder then he had anticipated, he had the patient on bypass as the blood loss was too severe, they had to remove the patients right kidney as the damage was not reversible, he then had to repair the spleen, "The bleeding is coming from the bowel and the spleen, but there's too much going on for me to see where it's originating from."
Minwoo was an Orthopedic surgeon, yes, he did study GS and Cardio during his intern days, but compared to an actual GS specialist or Cardio surgeon, Minwoo had to admit that he was subpar. 
"Page GS, I need either Dongwan or Taehak to take a look." He instructed a nurse. Minwoo was on the verge of a mental breakdown when he saw Dongwan running in pulling on his surgical cap. Dongwan didn't say anything and began repairing the bowel first, "Suction." his view of the organ then cleared up, "Okay, Now irrigate." Minwoo watched as Dongwan quickly repaired both the wounds, he looked up towards Minwoo, "Anything else, I have a chest surgery in OR 3" Dongwan asked as he placed the forceps down onto the tray. Minwoo simply shook his head. He was glad that Dongwan was busy, it was better than being cooped up in his office planning a funeral. Minwoo patched the patient back up and went into the lounge for a sip of water, on his way out he bumped into Eric. 
"Hey did you just finish?" Minwoo asked him as they both were washing there hands. 
"Yeah, a patient came in with a 15mm cerebral hematoma, it took 5 hours, but we managed to remove it all, with a few months of rehab they should be good as new" Eric smiled. 
"I'm glad that everything worked out, how's Hyesung doing, he hasn't been socializing with us since, well, y' know"
"He's grieving in his way, he's accepted it. He's fine at home, just a little quiet. I think he's using work to cope with it all"
Minwoo nodded, he walked over to the vending machine and handed a bottle of water to Eric, he then got one for himself. 
"And how are you doing?" Minwoo asked as he opened his locker. 
"I'm as fine as I can be, I mean were doctors, we see people die every day, it just hits a little different when it's someone you know, but if it was his time to go then it was his time, I just miss him. I miss his naggy voice telling me that black coffee is bad for the stomach and I miss him clicking his pen when he's going over charts, I miss-" Before Eric could finish his sentence he broke down in tears in between his arms. Minwoo was quick to pull him into an embrace, Minwoo was holding his tears back. 
"I know Eric, I know. I do too, he'll always be with us, okay? No matter what happens his annoying naggy voice will always be there to put us line." Minwoo Erics back as the taller man sobbed into his shoulder. 
Sunday 7:15 am
Everyone, but Junjin gathered at Eric's apartment, they were all going to go to the funeral home together, Junjin said he'll meet them during the ceremony. Eric stared out into the morning view of the city, the gray clouds hovered over the skyline, he grasped onto the railing and hung his head low. He felt so many emotions hit him at once. He knelt and inhaled as he tried to calm himself down, he opened his eyes and before he stood up he noticed a scratch on his railing, he looked closer and saw the engraving [Kyesang was here ㅋㅋㅋ] Eric broke down laughing, he was laughing, then he was crying and now it was an awkward mixture of both. Dongwan saw and went over to him. 
"Hey? Can I help you?" 
"I paid 9k for these custom made railings." Eric laughed with tears welling in his eyes. 
"I paid 9k for these railings and Yoon Kyesang, that son of a etched his name on it" Eric continued laughing on the ground. 
"Okay, come on now, we gotta go" Dongwan helped him up from the ground, he then gestured for Hyesung to look after him when Eric wasn't looking Dongwan peaked on the opposite side of the railing just to check if his message was there, [Dongwan was also here ㅋㅋㅋ] he ran his fingers through the message that they had left eons ago and flashed a smile, he then returned into the living room. They all headed to pick up their friend to bid him one last goodbye. 
They arrived at the ceremony hall, and since the service didn't start until 10, no one had shown up yet, well except for Danny. 
"Danny, I'm glad you could make it" Dongwan greeted. 
"It happened so suddenly, it's the least I could do for a friend, is there anything I can help with?" 
"Not really, the staff are taking care of most of the things inside already, I don't think you've met them either. Eric, Minwoo, he's my boyfriend. Hyesung, he's Eric's boyfriend, Jun Jin is on his way, their friends and colleagues with Kyesang as well." they all gave him a slight bow, and he returned the gesture. 
The 5 of them sat at one of the benches as they watched the staff decorate the halls with white flowers. 
"We are going to need the chief mourner to place the photo and plaque." as staff had informed them. They had all agreed that Dongwan was going to be the chief, with all that they had gone through they were closer than blood brothers. 
Dongwan unwrapped the large black and white photo of Kyesang smiling at him, the optimistic eyes and killer good boy smile. He placed the photo in the middle and burnt an incense stick in front of it. He bowed at 90 degrees. "Kyesang ah, go without any regrets. We can take care of ourselves. I'll make sure to nag the boys on your behalf." 
The hall then began to fill with people, fellow doctors, hospital staff, past patients, good friends. Junjin came running into the hall with his tie still untied. Hyesung located him first and hurried towards him, 
"Hyung I'm sorry I'm late." 
Hyesung was busy tying his tie and fixing his shirt. "It's fine, you didn't miss anything, go pay your respects and burn incense, and do one on behalf of Andy." 
They watched as Junjin knelt to the ground and gave 3 bows, he paused for a brief second and gave another three. Dongwan then handed him a set of incense to place, we watched Junjin placed the incense down and handed him another set. Junjin then walked towards his Hyungs. 
"How's Andy?" Eric asked. 
"He's off Dialysis now, but he's still in a coma." 
"You must be Junjin, I'm Danny, a friend of Kyesangs" he introduced himself. 
"Ah, I see, nice to meet you" he bowed. 
Taewoo then entered the hall, he paid his respects and walked towards them, 
"I'm Taewoo, a highschool friend of Kyesangs, You must be the Doctors he wouldn't shut up about. I'm a forensics analyst for the Seoul Metropolitan Police" he greeted. 
"Kyesang mentioned you briefly, he sang at your wedding right?" Minwoo asked. 
"Yeah, he did." 
"We were all in shock when he showed us a clip, we had no idea he could sing" scoffed Eric. 
"Yeah, him, Danny over there and a few of my other buddies used to be in the school choir. Kyesang had an amazing ballad voice." 
"Well, anyway, I'm glad you could make it, I'm sure Kyesang would be very happy to see you here," Dongwan stated. 
The ceremony then began, they all listened to the priest's words and now it was time for the Cheif Mourner to give a Eulogy. Dongwan hesitatingly stood up from his position and stood at the podium. He pulled out a sheet of folded A4 paper and placed it in front of him. 
"Friends, family, colleagues, I thank you for coming to send off Kyesang." He looked down on his sheet of paper and took a deep breath. 
"If you knew Kyesang well enough you would've known that he was a simple man. He only wanted one thing, for the people around him to be happy. I met Kyesang during my first day of 12th grade, I transferred in from another school and didn't know anyone. He was the first person to approach me during lunch break and asked if I wanted to sit with him" Dongwan then recalled to the distant memory. 

"Hey, your Dongwan right? I'm Kyesang we have Chemistry, History and Calculus together, you seem kinda lonely, wanna eat lunch with me?!" 18-year-old Kyesang ambushed Dongwan underneath the stairs. 
"I uhm, I'm okay, I like to be alone." 
Kyesang squeezed his eyebrows and sat down next to his new classmate, "Oh come, no one likes being alone. I have kimbap, you want a piece? It's really good, I swear I rolled it myself" before Dongwan could say no he had already shoved a piece inside his mouth. 
"There you ate my friendship Kimbap, we're friends now. We need conversation starters, what do you want to do after high school?" Kyesang asked with a mouthful of kimbap. Dongwan looked at him in confusion. 
"I mean, I want to be a singer, you know like Seo taeji and the boys, I want all the girls to be swooning over me." He answered his question and stared at Dongwan. 
"I- uhm- I want to be a Doctor, a surgeon. I want to save lives. I want people to live and be with their loved ones for a very long time." Dongwan finally answered the poor boy. 
"Oh that sounds cool too, tell me more about it!" 
Dongwan opened his eyes and smiled at the distant memory. 
"I'm pretty sure that if Kyesang hadn't befriended me back then, he would have been an idol" he chuckled at the idea. 
"In med school I watched him grow up into a man, we had our first shots together. We got into our first fists fights together, surprisingly he wasn't beating me up. I watched him fall in and out of love. Kyesang was also a little trouble maker, Ms. Kang, if you recall in the summer of 2011 every morning someone had taped a mandarin orange to your mailbox, well that was him. We watched the shock in your face when one day he changed it to a banana. Priceless. I'm sure Kyesang had left a fond memory with each and every one of you in this room, he will always be remembered as a Doctor, a friend, a brother. If you here a nagging voice in the distance giving you the gut feeling not to do something stupid, it's probably Kyesang. Some bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone the light remains. Thank you Kyesang for being apart of our lives, and you will be missed dearly." Dongwan wiped away the tears in his eyes and gave a bow. Minwoo was quick to pull him into a tight embrace, the others surround them in a large hug. 
The ceremony wrapped up and now it was time for them to bring Kyesang to his final resting place. Eric, Minwoo, Hyesung, Junjin, Danny and Taewoo carried the coffin while Dongwan leads them holding onto Kyesangs photo. He was buried in the peaceful mountains of Yongsan. They had buried him with his white coat, stethoscope, and a copy of Seo taeji and the boys' album. When they headed back to the car to go back to Eric's house Junjin suddenly got a call from the hospital. He ran down the stairs and jumped into a taxi, with any explanation as to what happened, one minute he was next to Hyesung and the next he was was gone. 

 

Notes: Hello, I hope you all enjoyed this update. I had a very difficult time stringing this all togehter, but an idea just kinda came to me. Pop a comment down below and let me know what you think!