A Normal Friday

Come through

A cold Friday dusk in Seoul
The wind blew the cold city air into the apartment, the abrupt sound of not one, not two, but three alarm clocks woke Junjin from his nap, he got up and turned off the clocks and did some stretching to wake himself up, it was a record for the month, he got 3 whole hours of uninterrupted slumber. He washed up and packed his bag, he always admired the babies at the hospital, they get to sleep and sleep, Junjin slapped on his watch and looked at the time, he was for sure going to be late and his Sunbae Dr. Jung was going to kill him for sure. 
Junjin grabbed his car and sped to the hospital. 
In another part of Seoul at the same time 
Andy sat in the cafe, a cup of piping hot black coffee in hand looking out the window he saw a few young students running to catch the bus for school, they looked like to be in middle school at most, Andy remanence his days back in middle school, as he was about to finish his coffee his phone rang, "Dr. Lee we need you in asap, we have an incoming 3-way car collision EMR reports 4 critical patients", informed the voice on the phone. Andy quickly finished his coffee and rushed to the hospital, at the entrance Andy ran into a frantic Junjin, cleary the Peds surgeon just woke up, "Dr. Park!" Andy greeted as they both sprinted towards the Direction of the ER, "Did you hear about the oncoming storm?" Andy asked while pulling on his long white coat, "What? That Hyesung is going to kill me cause I'm late?" laughed the oblivious Junjin, suddenly the sound of sirens echoed throughout the empty ER, "No that", Andy nodded towards the door with his head.
As the EMRs rushed the patient into the ER Dr. Kim who's in charge of the ER got a briefing from the emergency responders, "We have 3 in stable condition, 4 critical, 2 have serious lacerations on the head and abdomen, 1 lost pulse on the way here, we have given CPR and 0.6/1ml of adrenaline, BP is still unstable", they quickly reported before heading back to the ambulance, "Andy, bed 2 and 3, Junjin bed 1 and 4, has anyone paged Dr. Lee of Ortho?" Dongwan shouted across the room, "Dr. Lee and Mr. Mun have been paged" reported a nurse, "Hyung! Call Hyesung too, 2 in stable condition are elementary school kids", Shouted Andy, "Jin-ah, you look after them until he gets here okay?" Dongwan asked and Junjin nodded, 
"There's bleeding in the arterial wall, I need a 50ml syringe with a 15 gauge needle", Andy held his hand out and was given the device, without hesitation he drew out the excess fluid and the bp stabilized, "Get him a CT," he told the surgical intern, "Dr. Park how are we looking over there?"  Andy looked towards the other beds, "Suspected thalamus hemorrhaging for bed 1, and lung contusion for bed 4, I have already inserted a chest tube, but he needs surgery right now" Junjin described. 
Shortly after Eric and Minwoo came running into the ER with Hyesung behind them, "Eric bed one, Minwoo bed four, Junjin and Hyesung the 2 kids over there", announced Dongwan, Eric ran towards his patient, "Have you taken an MRI yet?" Eric looked up and asked Junjin, "No, not yet, order a chest CT as well!" Junjin noted. Andy walked towards the nurses' station, "I need an OR, who's on call today? Call them in right now!" he told the nurse, "I paged Dr. Yoon from GS he will be here in 5 minutes", she reported back. Minwoo then ran up to the nurses' station, "I need an OR as well, Andy I'm gonna need CS for back up, can you send someone?" Minwoo asked, "I'm going to need 1 hour, I'll be right there, can you hold on for 1 hour?" Andy asked wiping his sweat, Minwoo nodded when suddenly Hyesung shouted from the other side of the ER, "I need a crash cart now!". They turned their heads and saw Junjin performing CPR on the child, "I got a pulse," Hyesung signed, "Clear all non-urgent schedules for all ORs" Dongwan instructed a nurse and then shouted, "What the hell is taking Yoon Kyesang so damn long!" as if it was planned Dr. Yoon of GS came running into the ER with the paramedics with a soaked bandage on his arm, "Yah-" Dongwan paused for a moment to look at his arm, "What happened?", Kyesang smiled, "It's just a scratch, I was on my way when I saw two ambulances and thought they might need help, the patient is stable for now, but I suspect a collar-bone fracture and a ruptured spleen, I'll get someone to send her up to get a CT and I'm going to need an OR." Dongwan carefully listened and nodded his head, and one by one the patients got sent to the operation rooms, the five doctors in charge also headed to prepare leaving, Dongwan and Junjin in the ER, "Kyesang Hyung! Wait!" Shouted Junjin, he pulled the older man into a sitting position on a gurney and took out a suturing kit, "Jin-ah, I'm fine" Kyesang tried to say before getting cut off, "Dongwan Hyung said if I don't patch you up he's not going to let me help in the ER, so shut up and sit tight", Junjin pouted. Kyesang looked towards Dongwan and smiled, "Wan! Is this necessary?", Dongwan looked at Junjin then back at Kyesang, "I just don't want you to get gangrene, idiot", Kyesang smiled back at him. Dongwan and Kyesang grew up together, they went to med school together, the rumour is that Kyesang wanted to go into neurosurgery, but didn't want to leave Dongwan alone so he chose the same path as his best friend. "Wow, Jin, it doesn't hurt at all, it looks perfect" Kyesng praised him, "Hyung, I usually stitch up children," Junjin said rolling his eyes, he rolled up the other man sleeve to administrate a tetanus shot, Kyesang winced out loud, "Which is why I asked you to stitch him up Jin-ah, he's just a giant baby" teased Dongwan. After Kyesang smack Dongwan on the back of the head, he ran towards the OR.
Everything was going well in all the operations except for Minwoos, the damage was greater then he thought, "Page Dr. Lee, ask him how long he'll be" Minwoo said as he was repairing the thoracic ligaments, "35 more minutes", a nurse reported back.
In Andys Or, he was carefully suturing the aortic wall, "How's the systolic pressure?" he asked aloud, "Stable." "Okay, stitch him back up," Andy told the 1st-year resident as he rushed to Minwoos OR.
"Dr. Lee how are we holding up?", Andy asked Minwoo as the nurse put a gown on him, "BP is unstable, we have exterior bleeding around the left shoulder capsule, I suspect that the aortic vein has torn near the thoracic outlet." Andy went towards the table and further examed. "Minwoo Hyung, how long do I have before you need to continue your surgery?", Minwoo looked him in the eyes, "25 minutes before he becomes critical," repairing an aortic vein that's this damaged usually would take 40 minutes, now Andy had 25, he didn't waste a single second. 
3 hours later, Eric exited the OR first, the surgery was a success, he managed to remove all the hemorrhaging and the patient is being sent up to ICU, not long after Hyesung came out as well, "how did it go?" Eric asked, "poor kid is going to be on a ventilator for the next 36 hours, we'll monitor him for improvement, but Sat levels are below average, I'll have Andy take a look later." Hyesung sighed, "Come on, let's go get a cup of coffee," Eric patted his back. 
Andy stepped out of the OR with a family member outside waiting, "Doctor, how's my husband?" she asked, tears welling in her eyes. "Mr. Eun is currently undergoing a shoulder and chest repair surgery with Dr. Lee, he had a ruptured aortic vein which we managed to repair in time before it came to a problem", Andy carefully explained, he gave her a pat on the arm and headed towards the break room. He ran into Junjin who was changing into a new set of scrubs. "Andy, how was it?" Andy stoic as he was simply nodded his head, he was exhausted. Junjin threw a set of new scrubs towards the younger man, "Here, change into new clothes, what do want? Latte? Americano? I'll run to get some", "Iced americano please, no milk, no sugar, light ice" he reached into his locker and gave Junjin his card, Junjin pretended that he didn't see it and ran out of the room. Andy changed and headed towards the ER again, "Dongwan Hyung, need help with anything?" "Nothing in particular" Dongwan smiled back at him, "You can head over to the lounge and take a nap if you want, did you even sleep last night?" Andy shook his head, "I got home and around 1 am my parents got into a fight again, I didn't want to get dragged into the situation so I went to eat mandu, then came to the hospital for a few hours and then went to the cafe for a few hours", Andy sighed, "Good grief, what did they argue about this time?" Dongwan said while going over charts, Andy grabbed a chart as well, "I'm not too sure" Andy breathed out. Kyesang joined in along with Junjin, Kyesang handed a cup to Dongwan, "Here Andy, your americano", Junjin shoved the cup in front of the boys' face. "Thank you", Andy smiled, "How was the surgery?" Andy asked Kyesang, "She will be sore for a few weeks afterwards 6 weeks of physio and she'll be brand new", he was praising himself, "Where's Eric and Hyesung?" Dongwan looked around, "Probably making out in the janitor's office", Minwoo commented while joining the group, he snatched Dongwans coffee and took a sip, "Wait, they still have a thing for each other?" questioned Andy, all heads turned towards Junjin, Junjin looked around, "What?! How would I know?", he defended, "Come on, you too are always together, he tells you everything," Dongwan's eyes glimmering towards the younger man. "I. Don't. Know," he said while walking away from the nurses' station. 
A group of middle schoolers ran into the ER, a boy was piggybacking his friend whom forehead was dripping with blood, "Please someone help!" he shouted, Junjin ran towards them and took the nearly unconscious boy over to the bed, Andy recognized them, they were the kids he saw this morning at the cafe, Dongwan and Kyesang were treating the other 2 kids, "Hey sweetie, can you tell Oppa what happened?" he said in a soft voice, she was clearly younger than the other 3, "We were walking home from school when Hyunie Oppa got picked on by some guys near 7/11, they called him mean words and said that they were going to find his dad and kill him" the little girl tried to explain in-between crying, Andy saw her hands covered in blood, "Sweetie, I'm going to right-back," Andy went over to the supplies drawer and took out some cotton pads and antiseptic. He turned around and the little girl was gone, "Nurse, have you seent he little girl that was just here?" he asked in a panic, "I think she ran out that way" the nurse pointed and Andy bolted out, to his relief he found the little girl curled up into a ball on the bench, "Are you scared of the ER?" Andy asked kneeling to eye level, she nodded, "I have a gift for you" he whispered into her ear, he took her hand, uncurled the fingers and placed an orange lollipop in her hand, she looked up at him with big puffy eyes, "Is Oppa scary?" he asked, "Not you, the other long-leg Oppas are", she said staring at the candy on her palm, Andy took it back and unwrapped the plastic for her, "How old are? What's your name" he asked trying to calm her down. "Kim Chuihee, I'm almost 11," she said now with the lollipop in . "Well, Chuihee Hakseang, I'm going to need you to place both your hands on my knees for 5 minutes as I clean them up," she promptly followed. "Now, Chuihee, this is going to feel cold, so cold that it's going to sting for a little bit, but our Chuihee is almost 11 right? She can handle it right?" The young girl nodded again, Andy wiped the cuts on her palms and watch as she winces, when he finished cleaning them he placed a large adhesive bandage to cover the wound, "Is Junho Oppa going to die?" she suddenly asked him, that must be the boy that came in with the head injury, "No sweetie, my friends are taking good care of him, now tell me how did Junho get injured long with you and the others?" he asked out of curiosity, "The angry ahjussi waited for us outside 7/11 when we were buying ice cream, he said that Hyunie Oppas dad owes them something, then he pushes Hyunie Oppa so Junho Oppa pushed them back, he took the bottle that he was drinking from and smashed it on Junho Oppa, and then started hitting Hyunie and Sangho, I got pushed to the ground and scraped my hand" she said it all very fast, but Andy understood, "How old are the boys?" She the lollipop and answered, "16, Sangho is my older brother, he picked me up from school", Andy nodded, "Let's go inside, it's cold out here, I promise my friends are not scary" he held the girls hand and walked inside, "This is my friend, she is a nurse, and she's going to teach you how to fold paper cranes, okay?" Andy looked her in the eyes and waited for her response, she nodded and took the nurses hand. Andy ran towards the bay, "How are doing Hyung?" Andy asked Hyesung, "these two are fine, some minor lacerations, he needs to be monitored for 48 hours, CT shows no Hematoma, these boys are lucky, they shouldn't fight in the middle of the street no less smash a bottle on each other" Hyesung said angrily. "Hyung, it's not their fault, they didn't fight each other," Andy said to him, "What do you mean? That's what he hold me" Hyesung now looked confused. Andy dragged him further away from the crowd, "I think a gang is involved, I think that boys father is involved in gang activity", "What should we do?" Hyesung now looks concerned, "Nurse Sun already called parents/guardians, they are on their way, I don't think we need to call the police just yet." Andy said while looking at eh boys, suddenly a ran in an all-black suit attire came running down the hall, "Where's my Son? Where's Hyun?" he shouted, "Appa...", the boy called to him, "Hyun, we have to leave town right now, they knew I would come and get you, they lured me here, Hyun grab your bag let's go", Eric then stood between the boy and his father, "Sir, I'm afraid I cannot let you leave just yet, we have to monitor him for 6 hours, he has a suspected minor concussion," Eric said with a stern tone. The child's father pushed Eric aside, "As you said Doc it's suspected and it's minor, we have places to go", he grabbed his sons wrist, Eric stood nudged him aside and stood in-between them again, "Sir, as your child's physician I am saying that he cannot leave at this moment, please wait outside or I will be forced to call security", Kyesang now standing behind the boy glared at his father as well. The father suddenly took off his outer coat revealing what looks like the handle of machete sticking out of his belt, he rolled up his sleeves and revealed two dragons tattoed on his arms, he was trying to intimidate Eric, but Eric was not having it and he simply stood unmoving. "Don't try anything funny, we have CCTV." Eric smirked. Kyesang leaned down to speak with the boy, "What's your mom's contact information?" he asked and the boy looked towards his father, "His Moms dead", he said, "Sir, I am going to ask you politely once again to leave the ER", Eric was now furious, "What are you going to do if I just stand here?" he taunted Eric was about to swing a punch when Junjin stepped in and placed his hand on Erics shoulder, "Eric, as you said there are CCTVs here, we don't need any trouble from pests" Junjin said aloud, "Yah, you son of a- Did you just call me a pest?" He yelled at Junjin, "What else I am supposed to call you? Ahjussi? No, No, you don't need my respect, a pest is correct, or would you prefer rodent?" Junjin then felt a punch and the next thing he knew was that he was on the ground with a throbbing head, Andy and Kyesang helped him up, Eric then lost it, he threw a punch and then dragged the man into the lobby away from staff and the kids, he then threw another punch and another, he took off his lab coat and threw it to the ground. It was now a full-blown fistfight, not long after security came running and forcefully escorted that man out of the hospital, he shouted one last time, "You have to let me leave with Hyun before they find him here, they'll kill him for real this time!" Eric scoffed. The other two parents came, Hyesung explained the injuries to them and told them to pick up their children tomorrow afternoon after a 24 hour observation period, Chuihee went home with her Mom as Sango needed to stay, "Bye Candy Doctor!" she waved goodbye to Andy as he was tending to Junjins wound, "Bye Bye Chuihee, My name is Andy Oppa!" he shouted back "Okay Candy Doctor!" he smiled back to her, "Wow, our Andy is favoured my ladies 1-101", he said as he winced "Don't move you idiot" Andy slapped his arm, "Candy Songsangnim, where's my candy?" Andy rolled up Junjins sleeve to locate the vein to administer an IV drip, and without hesitation, he poked it in, "There's your candy, enjoy it for the next 40 minutes and tell us if you experience blurred vision, a lost sense of smell/taste, throbbing that won't go away, vertigo and/or nausea. Got it?" Andy said with a straight face, "Okay" Junjin said as Andy walked away. Kyesang was patching up Eric, "Don't play hero next time okay, he could have pulled out his machete and chopped you into pieces." Kyesang said as he was knotting the stitches. "I wasn't trying to" Eric muttered. "Don't worry Sang-ah, I'm gonna get the nagging of my life from Hyesungie later", Eric looked to the ground. "Are you two back together? I thought the spark has died and could never be rekindled again." Kyesang laughed, "My spark never died, Hyesungie... I don't know" Eric Sighed, Kyesang patted his friend on the back, "Well, you're going to be sore for a little while, sit tight finish the IV and then try your very best to avoid Hyesung for the next few hours, he will kill you with is nagging". They laughed together, "Thank you" 
Hyesung, Minwoo and Dongwan went to go eat in the cafeteria, "Do you think Andy likes Junjin or vice versa?" Minwoo tried to cut the tension, "Andy only transferred here last year from the main hospital, they seem kind of awkward together, what do you think Hyesung", Dongwan nudged his elbow, silence. "I think they both have a little crush on each other" Minwoo replied after waiting for Hyesung to reply. "Don't be so hard on Eric, he was only trying to help", Dongwan said as he dropped his chopsticks, "Help? He could've gotten seriously injured for crying out loud" Hyesung yelled at Dongwan and Dongwan was a lot to stand up and retaliate when "Woah Woah calm down the both of you jeez, you're Doctors, not gangsters" Minwoo said gesturing for them both to take a seat. "I think Jinnie like Andy", Hyesung said with a straight face and continued "He always buys him Coffee and waters his plants, I caught him smiling at Andy when he was tending to the little girl earlier", "I knew it!" Dongwan and Minwoo said in unison, "Why was it so crazy today in the ER" a first-year intern asked Dongwan, "It's Friday" was simply what Dongwan answered back, the intern twisting his face, "What Dr. Kim means is Friday-Mondays are always hectic in the ER", Hyesung smiled at the intern, the intern bowed and left the scene. "Eric, Kyesang and the kids must be hungry, I'm gonna go get take out, meet you all in the lounge in 30, let's go to my place tonight!" Minwoo said as he cleaned the table, the other two nodded and left as well.
Back in the ER Kyesang was checking up on a patient that came in with stomach pains, Eric sitting up straight in the ER bed was going over his patient charts as he waited for his IV to finish it's last few drops. Junjin took his IV bag with him and moved to the lounge, where he caught Andy sleeping on his arm on the desk, he poked at him gently, "Andy-ah, you're gonna get a stiff neck if you sleep like that, come on, let's get you on the bed", Junjin held his IV bag in between his teeth as he helps Andy to the bottom bunk. Junjin watch as Andy slept, he couldn't help but the younger mans hair, he suddenly winced in his sleep, "No, I'm sorry Mom don't hit me, stop", Andy murmured in his sleep, "Andy, ah I'm not going to hurt you", Junjin cooed, he watches as Andy fell into a deep slumber again, Junjin wondered, "What's the story between Andy and his parents?" Andys beeper rang and woke him up he sprung up quickly not noticing Junjin at first and bumped his head on him, Andy blinked a few times before seeing Junjin smile at him, he looked down to the small device to check the message, 
[Gang fight, 9 casaulties, 3 critical, 10 mins]