Chapter 6 (Nemesis)

Violet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amethyst Saga University

Monday, August 18th, 2025

The cloudy day was decorating the Seoul sky as Lee Chaeyeon walked down the empty hallway of the university building, her hands were holding two bouquets of flower along with paper bags. She could hear the loud noises from the auditorium where the graduation ceremony was held.

 

Gaudeamus itur, Iuvenes dum sumus

Gaudeamus itur, Iuvenes dum sumus

Post iucundam iuventutem... Post molestam senectutem...

Nos habebit humus... Nos habebit humus...

 

The voice of the choir was signaling that the graduation ceremony was coming to an end. Chaeyeon stopped at the auditorium gate, looking around, hoping to see Minjoo and Yuri between the seas of people. Her purpose today was only to congratulate them for their graduation. Chaeyeon could only sigh when she saw many reporters were waiting in the auditorium court with cameras and microphones. After all, not only Yuri and Minjoo who were attending the graduation ceremony today but some familiar and well-known names who also studied at the same university as them also graduated on today. Realized she might be couldn’t meet Minjoo and Yuri freely with so many reporters around, Chaeyeon decided to go to the back door, the place that is so familiar and kept a lot of memories for her.

 

Vita nostra brevis est... Brevi finietur...

Vita nostra brevis est... Brevi finietur...

Venit mors velociter... Rapit nos atrociter...

Nemini parcetur... Nemini parcetur...

 

“Will Yujin Sunbaenim come? Feels like it’s been a long time since I saw her at the campus.”

The quiet voice stopped Chaeyeon on her tracks. She saw two girls not too far from her, probably sophomores who also part of the graduation ceremony committee. She walked closer to them slowly, trying to listen to their conversation.

 

Vivat academia! Vivant professores!

Vivat academia! Vivant professores!

Vivat membrum quodlibet; Vivant membra quaelibet;

Semper sint in flore... Semper sint in flore...

 

“I don’t think so. Remember Jiheon Sunbaenim asked her to be the Chief Organizer of the committee but she refused? I heard she’s still on vacation right now,” said the other girl.

“You know what, I think the rumor of she’s close with Kim Minjoo-nim and Jo Yuri-nim isn’t true,” the first girl said. “I’ve never seen them together at all, Yujin Sunbaenim always with her classmates and her other friends.”

“You could ask them directly if you want to. You are on duty for the press conference, right?”

Before the first girl could reply, Chaeyeon cleared and surprising the girls. They turned around to see Chaeyeon was walking towards them, which they quickly bowed and greeted her. Although Chaeyeon graduated when they entered the university as a freshman, there’s no way the member of the student council didn’t recognize the ex-president of the student council.

“Sorry, I accidentally overheard your conversation. I heard you are on duty for the press conference later?” Chaeyeon asked the first girl, which replied with a single nod. “Could you do me a favor?”

“Yes, Sunbaenim,” they nodded enthusiastically. “What can we do for you?”

“I came to meet Minjoo and Yuri but unfortunately I’ll have a meeting shortly and I can’t stay until the ceremony ended. Can you give these to them? And tell them why I can’t meet them personally,” said Chaeyeon, showing the bouquets of flower and the paper bags in her hands to them.

“Of course, Sunbaenim. We will give it to them,” said one of the girls.

With a smile, Chaeyeon gave them the bouquets and the paper bags which they put it carefully on the tables beside them.

“Thank you,” Chaeyeon glanced at their ID cards, “Daeyeon-ssi, Sunhee-ssi.”

At the mention of their names, the girls squealed like fangirls. Chaeyeon chuckled.

After saying goodbye to the girls who were bowing deeply to her, Chaeyeon turned around and quickly left the auditorium. There’s no much time until her meeting. But her steps have to stop again when a call came to her phone.

“Yeah?”

“Sakura’s flight got delayed until tomorrow.”

“I know. She told me last night.”

“Where are you? We must gather at Gallia tonight. There are important things we have to discuss.”

The question makes her bit her lips.

“Chae?”

“I went to Minjoo and Yuri’s graduation ceremony.”

“Lee Chaeyeon...”

“I promised them that I would come to their graduation ceremony.”

“Don’t be silly. Don’t you forget that─”

“I know I was forbidden to meet them, but I made a promise to them, okay? And I know the consequences, no need to remind me over and over again.”

There’s a long sigh over the phone before a reply came, “Yeah, sorry, Babe, I was just worried about you. I don’t want anything happens to you. I─” Another pause. “Just stay safe and be careful on your way. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

 

***

 

Chérie

Monday, August 18th, 2025

“Yujin isn’t coming? Where is that brat? She should have come and congratulated you guys.”

Yuri chuckled at the question. Right beside her, Minjoo just shook her head at the grunt of the girl on the screen who was enjoying her lunch in her usual lazy-looking state. Doing video call like this, it feels like they were watching a mukbang show.

“She sent gifts and bouquets of flower for us,” Minjoo said. She hesitated for seconds before continuing, “Chaeyeon Unnie did the same thing too. She left gifts and flowers for us but we didn’t meet. They said she had a meeting and had to leave before the ceremony ended.”

Yuri and Minjoo stared at the screen, trying to read the older girl’s expression.

“Well, did Yujin tell you where she is?” asked the girl instead, avoiding the topic.

“Nobody knows where she is, Unnie.” Yuri took a deep breath. “Jiheon, Gahyeon, and Doah returned first and separated from Yujin in Bagan. Yena Unnie hacked the system and found out from her passport that that kid went to Libya, Tripoli last week.”

“LIBYA? YOU MEAN, SHE IS IN AFRICA?!” The girl on the screen screamed, now wide awake on her seat, looking shocked. “WHAT THE HELL IS SHE DOING?”

“Working as a volunteer, apparently. She did that quite a lot,” Minjoo answered with an awkward smile. “She had been doing it since she turned to be an adult. That’s the reason why she often skips class.”

“Should she flee that far? Tripoli? Nepal? Giza? Belize? I can’t even remember all the places she ever visited. I really don’t understand her.” The voice on the other side sounded so annoyed. For a moment she was seen reaching for her tablet and typing something. Probably trying to find out what’s happening in Tripoli.

“Stop overreacting with Yujin visit to Africa. This is not the first time she has set foot there. At least she didn’t go as far as Vienna like you for no reason, Kang.” A voice interrupted behind Minjoo and Yuri. Yena appeared with an innocent smile and a cup of ice cream in her hand.

“Yah! It only takes 8,269 kilometers to see me while An Yujin is 9,808 kilometers from you, Choi Yena! And I’m not running away here. I always come if you ask me to see you!” said Hyewon to Yena, but only got a scoff as a reply.

“Unnie, please prepare the guest room for Yujin and take care of her while she is in Vienna. I got information that two hours ago she landed at Schwechat.” Chaewon appeared behind Yena and waved her hand to Hyewon, who automatically smile widely.

“Really? She’s here?” Hyewon asked, which Chaewon nodded firmly. “That was random. If she’s really here, how

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter