Chapter 38 (Calea Luminii)

Violet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SS Fortress, Cheongju

Monday, November 3rd, 2025

The sun had just set. The light around the fortress grew dimmer. The angular patterns in the sky have a dusk orange tinge to them. The barky smell around her is still strong and sticks out in the nose as the wind around her grew colder and pierced to the bone. The faint sound of birds chirping revives the silence between the trees. It did nothing to make her mood any better. Usually, she loves the petrichor and the vibe after the rain. On the contrary, it hardened her heart even more.

Jungeun walked fast among the trees. She skips every puddle of water and broken branches that get in the way of the small path she passes. She didn't care about the exhaustion from the long drive back to her hometown. She had no time to whine and pamper herself. Her face was pale, filled with tension and uncertainty. She kept ignoring the call in her head that was looking for her.

Unnie, your phone is dead. We were supposed to meet for dinner at Hyunjin's. Chaewon reminded her of the appointment she made last week.

Unnie, I went to your apartment, but you weren't there. Where have you gone? Please, contact us. I'll come to get you. It was unusual for Hyeju to ask for details about her whereabouts, and the younger girl seemed concerned about her.

Kim Jungeun, where are you? Why did you leave Chrysalis without telling me? Haseul's voice sounded calm. When she didn't find her after walking around Chrysalis with Chaeyeon, the older girl must have realized she had left.

Jungeun, on the other hand, seems uninterested. She had important things to do, and she wouldn't return until she had answers to the questions she was now wondering. With long strides, she climbed two steps at once every time she passed through the stairs. She only slowed down after seeing a beam of light attached to the gate. She passed through the archway and entered the forest. This path was filthy and messy, in contrast to the path she had taken before passing through the gate. Tall weeds, thick mosses, broken branches, and dry leaves littered the area, causing her to sigh in frustration. She carefully expelled anything that stood in her way. Being in this place was the last thing she wanted as someone who valued cleanliness.

It was getting dark, and there was no light around. Jungeun halted the way and momentarily closed her eyes. Her palms opened, and reddish light appeared of her hands to form a ball of light that illuminated her path. Without wasting any time, she quickened her pace towards a pavilion located on the hills.

She took off the blazer and slung it over her shoulders as she cursed herself for not having time to change clothes and making her feel uncomfortable. However, she didn't have much time to think when she heard an instrument she knew well.

The instrument song she heard in Chrysalis Village, the only reason that brought her to this place.

Calea Luminii, as Jiwoo called it when Jungeun asked the title of the instrument years ago.

The instrumental song becomes the muse that kept her alive her days after she failed to protect the girl she loves so much.

The instrumental song was composed specially for her and had always been her lullaby for the past few years.

In this world, Calea Luminii should have been buried and had no existence. So, how can she hear the instrument in the form of a demo version, which will be presented in the Chrysalis Village Grand Opening?

She took a deep breath when she saw the first pavilion in the place. Her steps hastened, and she kept counting the number of pavilions she passed. After the ninth pavilion, she stopped and turned her body to look at the pair of obelisks located opposite the pavilion. Her head turned left and right. After making sure that no one was following her, she took off the necklace with a pink-red Ruby pendant and wrapped it around her palm. She extended her hand, her palm open. Her eyes were closed, and her lips moved as if she were casting a spell that made her palms glow. When she opened her eyes, the obelisks that had previously stood unkempt were replaced by a golden gate.

She pushed the door and walked in without hesitation into a different realm. She passed the guards who bowed as she walked past them. She marched straight to the healing chamber, ignoring the gazes of the guards who were confused by her arrival.

Inside the Healing Chamber, she approached the gilded candle holder on the table in the corner of the room and turned it clockwise. There was a sound of movement and shake the ground. She moved beside the sapphire gurney, the place where a secret door opened. She went down the stairs, and after her whole body was out of sight, the door that had been open automatically closed.

She dived down a long flight of stairs. Fortunately, the lighting in the area was adequate for her vision, and she did not slip and hit the thick wall surrounding her. The view from the basement was vastly different from that from the first floor. A magnificent room with long carved corridors appears dim. Those who inadvertently enter this area will become lost. But that is not going to happen. The 'outsiders' will suffer the consequences of the tight security in this place before they have a chance to see what is inside the dungeon.

After about five minutes of descending the stairs and passed the hall, she found herself in front of a door guarded by guardians clad in battle armor and wielding spears. They look tough by the sword tucked into their belt. The guardians, however, bowed respectfully upon seeing Jungeun's arrival.

“I'd like to meet Jiwoo.” Jungeun's jaw clenched at the mention of a name she had rarely addressed.

“Please accept our apologies, but we cannot open the door without the consent of The Highness, The Elder, and The Grand Royal Medic, Lady Kim.”

Jungeun doesn't care. With a swift movement, she beat the guardians and barged in. After passing through the door, she entered a larger room with the different doors and armed guardians standing in front of her. They were ready to confronted Jungeun, and before Jungeun chose violence, a voice stopped her in her tracks.

“You realize you can only see her but not touch her, right?” Jungeun turned to see Mrs. Hwang, the Grand Royal Medic, standing among the guardians.

Jungeun exhaled deeply in frustration. Of course, she was aware of the rules. It's been years, and they've always said that whenever she's here.

“Just bring me to her,” Jungeun demanded.

Mrs. Hwang motioned to the guardian to make way for Jungeun. They bowed in respectfully as Jungeun passed them, having received direct orders from The Grand Royal Medic.

Jungeun stopped in front of the sliding door. Her intuition told her that someone else was in the room, so she chose to remain standing at the door.

The door opened in less than a minute. Someone walked out and took a position in front of her. Jungeun averts her gaze as the other girl smiles and wraps her arms around Jungeun's neck in a tight hug.

Kim Minji.

“I'm not here to entertain you and make a scene in front of the guardians,” Jungeun said coldly in response to the warm gesture.

“You've always been that way, Jungie. Can't you be gentle with your sister?” Minji placed her palms on Jungeun's cheeks.

Jungeun was silent. She unconsciously stares at the glass cell in which Jiwoo's body lay in a coma state. Jungeun could feel her heart squeezing. This place had always been a nightmare for her.

“Not for the moment. I'm tired, Unnie.” Jungeun's lips parted once more with a cold response.

“Okay.” A kiss landed on Jungeun's forehead. “Get a rest after this, Jungie.”

“What exactly are you doing here?” Even though she didn't seem to accept her sister's friendly gestures, Jungeun was intrigued because she had found the older girl here.

“You are aware that my Ruler Line is on your side, right?” Jungeun responded with a nod.

“Heejin discovered a potion that can aid Jiwoo's healing and asked me to test it due to the sources from our realm. Bora should have been the one to check it out. I arrived because she is still on her mission with Siyeon.”

“Can the potion be used to treat Jiwoo's wounds? Will Jiwoo awaken and recover?” Jungeun asked cautiously, attempting to calm her now irregular heartbeat. She didn't want to have her hopes up too high to be disappointed again. It is not the first time they have tried various methods to rouse Jiwoo from her deep sleep. And years passed without giving anything. Jiwoo remained in the cell, comatose, with a life support machine attached to her body.

“We'll see what happens, Jungie. I came to check on Jiwoo's condition and bring a sample of the potion that Heejin prepared. I'll check the potion with other healers. We will tell you if we discover that the potion is suitable.” Minji smiled and took Jungeun's hand in hers, gently squeezing it to strengthen and support her. “Don't worry, Jungie. Everything will be fine. Jiwoo will be fine soon.”

“It has been years...” Jungeun sighed, her voice shaking in frustration. “I wished I could hug her. Unnie, I miss her.”

 

***

 

Music Department, Amethyst Saga University, Seoul

Monday, November 3rd, 2025

“Wonyoung-ah!!” When Jaehee saw Wonyoung exit the elevator, she waved her hand excitedly. She patted the seat beside her and motioned for Wonyoung to join her.

Wonyoung's gaze wandered around the corridor, astounded by the number of people in this place. It's already 8 PM, and there are still a lot of students around the building. She looks curious about what they were doing here. She walked over and sat down beside Jaehee.

“Didn't your class ended this afternoon? You're not usually here at this hour.” Jaehee question took Wonyoung's attention.

“I visited the Four Seasons Exhibition Design in the Main Hall. Dohyon informed me that you were still here to handle another event, so I came over to bring you some snacks.” Wonyoung stood up and lifted the paper bag she was carrying.

Jaehee tried to keep her smile hidden. Wonyoung was here for a reason, she knew. Yujin is still in charge of the event in the recording studio. It's no longer a secret between the students who discuss their relationship. They were always together since they were working on the Syzygy Project together. Where Yujin is, there is Wonyoung and vice versa. They are only separated when they are in their respective classes.

“I thought you were here to pick up Yujin Unnie and take her home. She didn't bring her car and had been staying at the Amethyst since last night. I don't remember how many times Jiheon Unnie keep nagging about this since morning.”

“Did she spend the night here last night?” Wonyoung regarded the information with a frown. Perhaps she didn't want to admit she was here for Yujin. Dohyon told her that the older girl was still in the Music Department since completing her exams this afternoon. Even so, Wonyoung not completely lying. She didn't know that Yujin stayed at Amethyst last night. She thought Yujin back to her apartment after left from Chaewon and Minjoo's apartment.

Jaehee frowned, one eyebrow raised as if she couldn't believe what Wonyoung had said. Wonyoung hurriedly held out a paper bag on her lap for Jaehee to share with the others, trying to avoid Jaehee's questioning gaze.

“Thanks, Wonie. I'll give it on to the others.” Jaehee laughed and accepted the paper bag Wonyoung gave her.

“This is my first visit to the Music Department. Does this place get crowded all the time?”

“It's not usually this busy.” Jaehee took a look around. “Maybe they're waiting for HaWon DJ to complete their broadcast.” Jaehee pointed to the largest recording studio.

“DJ HaWon?” Wonyoung's face is puzzled as she asks.

“Are you tuned into Clover 99.9 FM? The My Little Society program?” Wonyoung shook her head. “To. Hearts? To. Day? From.9? All I mentioned earlier were podcasts and vlogs.”

Wonyoung shook her head once more.

“Whoaaahhhh.. living aboard makes you missed so many interesting things.” Jaehee looked eager to share what she knew with the transfer student next to her. “HaWon DJ is the nickname of Song Hayoung and Park Jiwon. Both are alumni of Amethyst in the Music and Practical Dance Department. They were famous for the podcasts and vlogs they did when they were students. They got more popular when they took DJs position on Clover 99.9 FM. But after they've become one of the top executives on Clover 99.9 FM, they rarely broadcast. Today is a rare moment that their fans won't miss their comeback.”

“It was so cool that Amethyst presents so many notable alumni,” Wonyoung mumbled softly. “I don't think I'll regret moving here.” She smiled as her gaze fell on a figure exiting the studio.

An Yujin.

Yujin was talking lovingly between two girls that Wonyoung had never seen before. Her hands moved comically and made them both laugh at her antics. Unknowingly Wonyoung smiled as she saw how Yujin's eyes lit up with her nose crinkled when she laughed. Makes the dimples on her cheek stand out. A small chuckle escaped her lips when she saw Yujin bent down to hug the girls and deliberately teasing the shortest girl to get her a kick in the . They look pretty close and make Wonyoung wonder about the other girls.

“You didn't do anything. Your eyes keep following your heart to give attention to someone you cherish a lot. You stare at her from a distance like she is the precious thing in this world, and I feel like someone that interrupting a couple on a date.”

Wonyoung's brow furrowed at Jaehee. Her face blushed when she realized Jaehee had caught her eye on Yujin. She opened to defend herself, but her lips parted without sound before she could say anything.

“Sorry, I shouldn't have said that, and makes you flustered.” Jaehee smiled apologetically. “I can't stop myself from teasing you while rumors about you dating her circulate. It's okay, Wonie. We know it's hard to ignore her charm.” Jaehee patted Wonyoung's knee and chuckled when she noticed Wonyoung's face getting redder.

“I have to return to the recording studio and assist the others with the promotional video.” Jaehee stood up and began packing her belongings. She slung her bag over her shoulder and took the paper bag Wonyoung had given her. “Yujin Unnie has been assisting with the preparation of the Four Seasons Exhibition Design since last night. You'd better persuade Yujin Unnie to go home and rest before Jiheon Unnie starts picking a fight again with her. As much as I enjoy their interaction, their bickering can have an impact on our event.”

“I will. Thank you.” Wonyoung smiled and waved her hand at Jaehee.

Wonyoung waited for Yujin to accompany the girls to the elevator until Yujin noticed her existence. Yujin smiled at Wonyoung, but did not approach her and motioned Wonyoung to wait.

She dashes to the recording studio and emerges with her bag slung over her shoulder.

“Are you waiting for me, hmm?”

If Yujin hadn't greeted her with a teasing tone, Wonyoung would have blushed. Wonyoung snorted as one of the girls' brows lifted, and a charming smile on her lips appeared.

“You wish.” Wonyoung averts her gaze in an attempt to avoid Yujin's gaze. No matter how annoying Yujin's behavior is, seeing the older girl smile melts her heart, and Wonyoung doesn't want Yujin to feel like she's won. “I brought snacks because Dohyon said the event committee would stay to complete the promotional video.”

“At least, you're here for them.” Yujin chuckled, a loose smile on her face. She had no intention of teasing Wonyoung, even though she was certain Wonyoung was here because of her presence at the Music Department. “I left my car at the apartment. Is that okay for you to take care of me for tonight and be my driver? But, I'm okay if you mind and want to straight home. I guess I still have time to catch up on the bus or subway.” Yujin looked at the time on her phone.

“Do you think I'll let you ride public transportation while I'm in front of you?” Wonyoung snickered, her face irritated. She walked past Yujin, holding out the hoodie she was carrying. “It's almost winter, Unnie, so pay attention to your outfits.”

Wonyoung's words made Yujin laugh. She followed Wonyoung into the elevator, trying to keep up with her steps.

“Can we stop by to get some food? I haven't eaten anything all day and-”

“Yah! How come you haven't eaten anything all day?” Wonyoung looked at Yujin, who was taken aback by her raised tone of voice. She ignored Yujin's adorable rounded eyes as she took Yujin's bag, motioning for the older girl to put on her hoodie.

“Yah…?!” Yujin laughed as she put on Wonyoung's hoodie. “I'm your unnie, Bub.”

“Still… Your behavior reminds me of a puppy, and it makes me want to take care of you.” Wonyoung was the first to exit the elevator, leaving Yujin laughing aloud at what she said.

“You think I'm a puppy and want to pet me?” Yujin follows Wonyoung's steps and wraps her arm around her shoulder. She keeps giggling when Wonyoung tried to free her hand on the shoulder. But Yujin refused to let go, resulting in Wonyoung giving up and slipping her arms around Yujin's waist. She drew her face closer to Yujin.

“You annoy me, Unnie.”

When Wonyoung's lips brushed against Yujin's ear, she squealed, feeling ticklish. Despite this, she didn't let go of the side hug and instead drew closer to Wonyoung. The night breeze pierces her skin, and Wonyoung feels warm, making her want to cuddle in her arms. She does not remember since when she stop feeling awkward doing skinship with the younger girl.

Wonyoung wasn't much different. It is simple for her to express concern and make contact with Yujin. Everything feels so comfortable and natural. Being around Yujin always made her feel at ease, and she treasured every moment they spent together.

“I got you Italian food for dinner. Is that okay for you?” Wonyoung pointed to the back seat where she put the food she prepared for Yujin.

“Owww I love it!! Thanks, Bub!!” Yujin claps and pulls the seat belt with a smile on her lips.

Wonyoung laughed at Yujin's response and started the car engine. When she heard Yujin hum along with the song playing in the car, her gaze softened.

“I watch all the videos on your channel. You are incredibly talented. You can do many things. Why don't you become a singer or an idol?” Wonyoung glanced at Yujin who was staring out the window. The look on her face was serene. She paused hum the song to pay attention to Wonyoung for a brief moment.

“I don't have such ambition that far. What I do is nothing more than a way to get rid of boredom. Besides, I'm already well-known due to my videos. I don't want anything more.”

This girl...

Wonyoung sometimes finds it difficult to decipher what Yujin is thinking. Yujin has a rebellious side that makes her appear youthful and rowdy, as well as a quiet side that makes her appear mature and mysterious. Every week, she looks charismatic in the presentations for the Amethyst event. Wonyoung noticed that the other students were admiring and interested in Yujin.

Yujin's video channel always shows a charming and attractive side. The number of subscribers on her YouTube channel is one indication of how much the girl is loved.

On the other hand, she appears to be a typical girl who is lonely and aloof. When she is quiet, her lovely and energetic appearance vanishes in an instant. Something about Yujin continues to pique Wonyoung's interest.

Just by looking at her, Woyoung can feel a positive energy that makes her automatically smile. There was a feeling of calm and comfort whenever Yujin was by her side. And for some reason, Yujin's smile always makes her feel warm and protected. Yujin's eyes are a magnet that makes Wonyoung didn't want to pay attention to anything else. Wonyoung noticed Yujin always looked at her with the same expression since the first time they met. Warm brown eyes, a tender smile, and a soft demeanor as if Wonyoung is the only thing she can see.

Yujin is like a sunset at the end of the day. How the sun sets is a sign of the end of the day and changing of a new day. How a bright day transforms into a dark day, prompting to seek out other sources of illumination. It was strange that she always found the existence of Yujin who was entirely for her. Something that completes her day after a long tiring day fills her time and becomes the ending that always waits to be by her side. For some reason, the bonding between her and Yujin mostly happened when the daylight changed into the dark. She felt strange but also familiar. Wonyoung never tried to hide her emotions. She allowed Yujin to be around her as if gravity drew them together.

Wonyoung didn't want to end the day like this, and she has no idea what went through her mind. She wanted to stay by Yujin's side as if Yujin was constantly pulling her into her space, and she didn't want to be apart from her.

“Unnie…” Wonyoung bit her lower lip. She felt nervous to say what was running through her head.

“Hmm?” Yujin gave a casual response.

It's easy. Yujin was so easy. Everything about Yujin looks easy. Wonyoung finds it secure and comforting, and she wants to remember that.

“I never come to your place. May I spend the night at your apartment?”

Yujin turned to face Wonyoung. The younger girl is now concentrating on the road ahead of her. Her slender fingers gripped the steering wheel tightly, almost turning the fingers white, and caused Yujin to hide her smile as she was aware of Wonyoung's nervousness while waiting for an answer.

“Sure. You are welcome to sleep on the couch.” Yujin laughed as she noticed Wonyoung's expression change after hearing her answer.

“Unnie!!! How could you!!” Wonyoung pouted, but her eyes sparkled with eagerness and happiness.

“Someone already sulking huh?” Yujin teased. “Before going to bed, we can cuddle and watch a movie. Do you have any movie suggestions?” Yujin cocked her head to get a better look at Wonyoung. The other girl has already cracked a smile.

“Jaehee and Jihyo gave me a lot of movie recommendations a few days ago. Can we watch at least one of them?” Wonyoung leaps from her seat, beaming with delight. Looks ecstatic about what they're going to do tonight.

Yujin relished every change in Wonyoung's expression. She was aware that Wonyoung's presence in her apartment would jeopardize their cover-up of her identity. But Yujin is willing to take the risk of revealing the truth she has been questioning. Hyeju's request, as well as her conversation with Sooyoung this afternoon, convinced her that she no longer needed to hide. She began to devise a strategy for regaining Wonyoung's memory.

 

“I've checked her medical records, and there are no problems there. As a neurosurgeon, I can say that she is healthy and recovering as usual. Her memory loss did not occur due to the head injury. We can't ignore the things that are beyond reason that is happening around us. Amnesia is analogous to a crashing program in the human brain. All of the previous data or memory is still present. However, it requires a special program or data to recover the old data that is stored inside. It is not possible to force her memory to return. In your case, you were concerned that she would feel guilty and blame herself. It is normal for her to become confused, hurt, and stressed because of feeling under pressure. Also, because she doesn't remember you, there's always a chance she won't believe everything you say about your relationship. I'm not saying this to discourage you. Maybe you're the one she's looking for. You are the piece of information that can restore her memory. Show her things she enjoys doing to stimulate her memory. The things she used to enjoy. Or something that establishes a bond between you and her. It's always worth giving it a shot, Dear.”

 

***

 

Ha’s Residence, Seoul

Monday, November 3rd, 2025

“I'm back, Solie. Where are you?” Sooyoung walked in and placed her car keys in the small box above the shoe cabinet. She smiled when she saw Jinsol's car keys were already there, along with another car key, which she guessed belonged to Haseul. Jinsol stated that Kahei and Haseul would visit her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter