Chapter 39 (Mist)

Violet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim’s Residence, Seoul

Tuesday, November 4th, 2025

Minjoo held her breath opening the apartment door. She didn't want to disturb Chaewon, who had been sleeping for hours. She stepped into the master bedroom, leaving her coat and bag on the couch. When she discovered her lover fast asleep with the duvet covering her tiny body, she couldn't help but smile. Minjoo approached and knelt on the bed's edge. She kept her gaze fixed on Chaewon. Feeling content and thankful for the girl who had accompanied her for the past few years. She raised her hand to brush the hair that was covering Chaewon's lovely face. Minjoo could tell her tiredness was going away just by looking at that face. Minjoo's smile remained unbroken. She drew her face closer and kissed Chaewon on the cheek.

“Sleep soundly, Dear.” She stood up and went to the closet to change her clothes.

Minjoo went to the pantry after changing into more comfortable clothes. Her gaze was drawn to the number on the digital clock in the living room, and the numbers compelled her to abandon her plan to join her lover in a warm bed.

Outside, it was still pouring heavily.

Chaewon had an important meeting in three hours, so she decided to prepare breakfast while she waited for the older girl to wake up. Minjoo intended to drown herself under the warm blanket after that. Minjoo walked over to the coffee maker in the pantry's corner. Her hands moved carefully to prepare the coffee and she waited for the thick liquid to fill the mug. She took a step back and leaned against the dining table, her gaze fixed on the coffee machine. Her eyes look tired. Her hand slowly rose to massage her painfully throbbing temple. She has been preoccupied with movie promotion for the past few weeks, in addition to the Omega Team's training schedule. Fatigue is starting to take over her body.

Minjoo was startled by the sound of the coffee machine. She took the mug and sat at the table. Minjoo reached for her phone as she sipped her coffee, looking for a playlist to listen to while preparing breakfast. Minjoo took another sip as her fingers moved to the phone's news portal. She appears serious as she searches for information about the incident that occurred last weekend.

“Joo..”

Minjoo flinched when a voice called her. She smiled as she saw Chaewon approaching her, still in her pajamas and with her messy bun.

“Hey,” Minjoo said, taking the girl's wrist and drawing her closer, allowing the older girl to sit on her lap and bury her face in Minjoo's shoulder, “did I wake you up?”

Minjoo smiled and kissed Chaewon on the side of the head. One hand was wrapped around Chaewon's waist, and the other was rubbing the girl's back.

“Nightmare,” Chaewon replied casually, making Minjoo hug her even tighter.

“I thought you weren't going home until tomorrow.” Chaewon buried her face in her neck, and Minjoo smiled.

“Your hospital check-up is scheduled for today. I'll return to the set after accompanying you for your monthly check-up. I'll be in Busan until the weekend for filming.” Minjoo reminded the lovely girl in her arms.

“No, not today. I'm not in the mood,” Chaewon said sluggishly.

“What's the matter?” Minjoo used her fingers to touch Chaewon's cheek. A habit she's only recently realized she has when Chaewon is in her arms.

“Will I die if I miss just one check-up? If that's the case, I'll be going to the hospital this afternoon. But if not, I’m not going.”

“Hey,” Minjoo said, closing her eyes briefly before taking a deep breath. When Chaewon mentions the d-word in her conversation, she tries hard to keep her emotions in check. If only the older girl knew how depressed she was when she faced Chaewon, who was on the verge of death, she would have snapped at her. “What happened to you, huh? Did you fight with unnies?”

Chaewon shook her head in amazement.

“Did Oppa tell you to leave Sapphire?”

Chaewon shook her head once more.

“So, why are you behaving like a teen on her period?”

“Yah! When a woman is on her period, she will act like a teenager.” Chaewon was baffled by Minjoo's words.

“Are you on your period?”

“Not at all.”

“Yah! Kim Chaewon!”

Chaewon shifted her body away from Minjoo as she heard Minjoo raise her voice. She looked down, feeling guilty that her attitude had tested her lover's patience.

“All I can think about is work.” Chaewon inhaled deeply. “It's simply a matter of work. It's exhausting and tiring.” Chaewon continued in hushed tones. More to talk to herself, to persuade herself that what was causing her to act strangely was due to her job.

Minjoo raised an eyebrow.

Chaewon can have tantrums when she is stressed at work, but Minjoo has a feeling that Chaewon is hiding something else. Nonetheless, Minjoo will not compel Chaewon to reveal everything that is on her mind. She smiled and took the girl's hand, her gaze fixed on Chaewon. Although Chaewon was being childish this morning, Minjoo will make sure Chaewon knows she will always be there for her. Next to her.

“I'm not sure how much pressure you face at work, but I hope you're able to overcome it, Dear. You are not required to do anything if you do not wish to. I'm sure you're aware of your current priorities.” Minjoo kissed Chaewon on the lips.

Chaewon sighed.

“You're very busy.” Chaewon nervously rubbed her chin. She leaned in and hugged the girl around the waist. “Please, don't misunderstand me. I'm not complaining about asking for your time because I'll be busy with my own business. I'm not whining or demanding your time.”

“Then?” Minjoo Chaewon's arms, encouraging the older girl. “What's the matter with you?”

“I just miss you, and I'm trying to figure out how to ignore those feelings when you're not around.” Chaewon closed her eyes, attempting to erase the anxiety that had plagued her since she realized that war could break out at any time, and Minjoo's presence away from her would be a bother to her.

Minjoo chuckled, warmed by the confession. The older girl in her arms was unpredictable.

“You can reach me at any time. If I am unable to answer your call, you may leave a message or anything as well as your complaint. I'd love to read your whining so I can imagine your expression when you texted me.”

“It'll just make me miss you more!” Chaewon protested.

“Do something that will keep you busy.”

Minjoo couldn't stop herself from showing good kisses to Chaewon.

For some reason, the older girl acted so adorably this morning, making Minjoo feel heavy as if she had to leave her for too long.

 

***

 

Chérie, Seoul

Tuesday, November 4th, 2025

“Ouch! I despise rain that lasts for an extremely long time.” Doyeon rubbed her sleeve, which was hidden beneath a blazer. She shifted her gaze away from the window and looked at Jungeun, who sat in front of her.

“Have you listened to all of the instruments I sent you?” Doyeon leaned her body to face Jungeun, who was looking at her phone.

“Hmm...” Jungeun gave a short nod in response. Her gaze was fixed on the phone. She frowned for a moment as she remembered something. “Which of the seven instruments are you going to get rid of?”

“Skyline and Parallel Universe,” Doyeon smiled as she took a sip of her cappuccino. “And what about you?”

“Calea Luminii and 563,” Jungeun responded by raising one of Doyeon's eyebrows.

“Given your reaction yesterday, I thought you liked Calea Luminii and will keep it.”

“I'm not blown away by the song. I'm pretty sure I've heard of it somewhere, so I ruled it out. Isn't it true that our boss wants something unique?” Jungeun responded with a calm tone.

“However, I believe Chaeyeon and Sohye will keep it, Jungie. Calea Luminii was one of their top three. Besides, I think they are acquainted with composer Calea Luminii.”

“Aren't they biased by selecting song instruments from their friends?” Jungeun pretended to be unconcerned as if Calea Luminii didn't mean anything to her.

“I can't say that when Chaeyeon dismisses Parallel Universe and Sohye dismisses Magenta. Kwon Eunbi composed Parallel Universe, and Kim Doah, Sohye's younger sister, created Magenta.”

“If that's the case, this competition will become even more exciting. We have no idea who will make the top five and be chosen as the title song.” Jungeun's gaze was drawn to Doyeon's vibrating phone, signaling the young lady to pick it up.

“I couldn't find peach, so I went with blue.” Doyeon pressed the phone against her ear and shoulder.

“I've already got that color! I asked you, peach!! No, not blue!! PEACH!!”

When she heard Sohye scream, Doyeon pulled the phone from her ear. She the speaker and placed it on the table. One hand rubbed her ear, while the other started eating the cake in front of her with her spoon.

“You already have a lot of penguin plushies; what are you looking for?” Doyeon wiggled the spoon between her fingers with an irritated expression.

“If you're referring to the penguin plushies at the S&P Café, I can't accept it! It's a business, not a piece of my collection. I'm upset!”

Jungeun blink her eyes, amused by Sohye's whining. Her gaze was drawn to the paper bag containing the peach-colored penguin plushie that Doyeon had purchased some time ago. She just shook her head, realizing Doyeon's triumphant smile at the girl's whine, looking content for the umpteenth time teasing her best friend.

“Peng~ Did you go to Woojin's birthday celebration?” Doyeon suddenly remembered an event last week.

“Yeah, we went to RoadEye and flew out to Osaka before midnight for Woojin's birthday party because RoadEye was too boring,” Sohye replied casually.

“Does Yoojung with you?”

“Do, all 99 liners from our school were there. You're the only one who won't be able to make it. Joe and Eden were also present at the party.”

“I'm sure Somi is there as well. She's not going to let her baby girl alone at the party.”

“Of course! She was not like someone who left her girlfriend alone. Did you forget she’s always the star at every party?” Sohye's tone was mocking.

“I wanna be there but I can’t. I have to meet Sejeong Unnie before she leaves for Prague Project.”

Sohye laughed at Doyeon's excuse. “All right, Do. You don't need to remind me about how busy Sejeong Unnie is. I didn't even get to meet her while she was in Seoul. She's a little preoccupied with the new project. But pretty sure she will be back before Christmas.”

Doyeon nodded, even though she was aware Sohye was not looking at her. She averted her gaze and smiled as she noticed Jungeun reaching for her purse and bending down so that Sohye can hear her voice.

“Peng~, I'd like to order crepes to take away. Is there anything you'd like? Pancakes? Crepes? Or is it something else?”

“Banana strawberry crepes with Nutella and hot chocolate.” Jungeun was taken aback by Sohye's response. She bit her lower lip and squeezed her purse unconsciously. Sohye's order made her think of someone.

“Do you want something, Chaeyeon-ah?” Sohye's question to Chaeyeon brought her back to reality.

“Can you get me a strawberry milkshake, Jungie Unnie?” Jungeun snorted in annoyance when she heard Chaeyeon's voice.

“Stop referring to me as Unnie.” Jungeun locked her gaze on Doyeon, who laughed at Chaeyeon's voice. “Do you want anything else?”

“Almond waffle and apple pie. Thank you, Jungie. My everything, my world, my universe, my love. To the moon and back, I adore you.” Chaeyeon's made a cute voice as she thanked Jungeun.

“Bull!!” Doyeon snatched, amusedly chuckling.

Jungeun, who was standing right in front of her, also laughed at what Chaeyeon said.

No matter how hard Chaeyeon denies her clingy behavior toward Kwon Eunbi, what they witnessed this morning gave them a strong reason to continue to tease Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon arrived this morning, escorted by Kwon Eunbi. They noticed Chaeyeon's warm smile as the driver's window opened and she bent down to kiss her lover. Chaeyeon didn't even move from her spot and waved as Eunbi's car drove away from Chrysalis basecamp.

What clingy behavior.

“Chae, stop saying things that make me sick. Return to work and ensure that all of our boss's requests are properly handled.”

“Yes, Ma'am!!”

 

***

 

Amthyst Saga University, Auditorium, Seoul

Tuesday, November 4th, 2025

The sound of thunder startled those inside the Auditorium. (Jo) Hyewon her chest with a surprised face. Jihyo laughed as she noticed the younger girl's gesture and drew Hyewon's body back to lean on her. Wonyoung smiled as she watched the two interact. She pressed her body against Jaehee, her head resting on the girl's shoulder. Even though it was already two o'clock in the afternoon, half of the committee for the annual event that was supposed to take place in the Auditorium was still nowhere to be found.

Wonyoung mumbled, “I haven't seen The Devils since morning.”

Jaehee raised her head and took a look around. When she couldn't find The Devils or Jiheon in the Auditorium, she frowned. If the Devils arrived late, she could understand. They're always this way, being troublemakers that never follow the rules. Jiheon, on the other hand, the President of the college council is usually the first person to arrive at every meeting. Jaehee just realized she hadn't seen Yujin or Jiheon at the Film and Theater Department building today.

“Did you see Doah Unnie today, Han Jihyo?” Jaehee asked of Jihyo who studied in the same department as Doah.

“They're filming for a promotional video,” Jihyo replied, frowning. “Didn't you know?”

“But we finished the recording last week. Eh, wait-” Jaehee's eyes widened as she realized what was going on. “Are they going to film The Devil's rain scene?”

Jihyo gave a nod. “You know what's going on in The Devils' heads. They'll always find a way to cause trouble. But, this time, Jiheon Unnie will support them.”

“What is that scene in the rain?” Wonyoung asked, perplexed.

“Did you see the welcome ceremony when The Devils were punished and had to practice for the performance?” In response to Jaehee's question, Wonyoung nodded.

“However, there is no rain scene in the video I watched.” Wonyoung looks confused.

“Amethyst took the video down from their official channel. Pretend the video didn't exist.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter