Chapter 24 (XYZ)

Violet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choi's Residence

Friday, October 24th, 2025

"Can I choose who your Tier is?"

Yujin smiled faintly and Wonyoung was stunned for a moment when Yujin stared at her.

"Do whatever you want. I'm yours."

Wonyoung gasped at Yujin's answer, never expecting the older girl to give her such a straightforward and firm answer.

"Don't you have a lover?"

"I have someone who I love but she is not my lover. I've said it to you before but you don't seem to believe me." Yujin chuckled and took a step first when the elevator door opened to throw out the trash.

Wonyoung walked after her. Secretly heaving a sigh of relief realizing Yujin slowed down her steps and let them walk side by side.

"You may not agree with my opinions, but for me, falling in love is a Pillar's first mistake. That feeling will be our weakness."

Wonyoung frowns in disapproval. "Unnie, falling in love is everyone's right. There's nothing wrong with falling in love."

"What do you think Yena Unnie and Chaewon Unnie would do if they found out about their lover's request to you?"

"I don't know. Maybe they will be angry and disappointed at Minjoo Unnie and Yuri Unnie."

"They will be angry and disappointed with themselves because the reasons given by Minjoo Unnie and Yuri Unnie are very sensible. It was a particularly rational decision. I can't even get mad at them." Yujin took out her car keys and opened the door for Wonyoung. After that she walked to the driver's door and sat with her eyes roaming around inside of the car, looking for something. Without saying anything Wonyoung took out a wet tissue from her bag and grabbed Yujin's hand to clean the remaining ice cream in her hand.

"Thanks!" Yujin smiled and drove her car leaving the basement of the apartment.

"If their request is rational for you, then why are you asking me to reconsider their request?" Wonyoung's gaze could not be separated from Yujin's. "No, you even asked me to ignore their request."

"Didn't you sound angry a moment after hearing their request?" Yujin shook her head, "no, let me correct my words. You sound more worried than angry. I guess you also know what will happen if you destroy the bond between them."

"If that happens, their birthstones will belong to Pillar and-" Wonyoung sounded doubtful when she said that. Next to her, Yujin nodded and smiled thinly realizing that Wonyoung couldn't finish her sentence.

"-and they will die." Yujin continued without feeling overwhelmed.

"Unnie, that's not how bonding works!!" Wonyoung groaned in annoyance as Yujin laughed.

"I'm just talking facts. Dying is one of the consequences that will happen if a Tier breaks ties with a Pillar."

"Death is the worst thing that will happen if you don't do it in the right way!" Wonyoung snorted at Yujin's distant reaction. "There are other possibilities that don't kill them in the process. They will either be in a comatose or will no longer be gifted. Everything is just as bad for me. I can't lose them." Wonyoung took a deep breath, feeling tired from this situation.

"As long as they don't know that Tier can untie their bond with Pillar without the Ruler's help, I guess everything will be fine." Yujin's hand reached out to play the music, trying to reduce the tension between them.

"I hope they never find out because if they did it would be the same as sacrificing their life." Wonyoung looked down and played her fingers on her lap. "I won't forgive myself if something happen to them."

"Whatever has happened, is happening, or maybe even will happen, is already part of their destiny. You have an immense responsibility than just contemplating their request."

Wonyoung raised her head when she felt a gentle pat on her top. Despite sounding cold and distant, Yujin's expression showed the opposite. The girl looked at Wonyoung attentively. Her hands reach out to hold Wonyoung's hand and squeeze it gently with her thumb that rotates slowly on the back of her hand as if she wants to convince Wonyoung that what their unnies wishes will never happen.

"Thanks, Unnie." Wonyoung smiled and patted Yujin's hand in her. "Suddenly I remember I have to go back to Astreaia. Soon will be winter, I need to check out The Eternal Torch."

Yujin glanced briefly before returning to pay attention to the road in front of her. She frowned when she heard Wonyoung mention The Eternal Torch. As far as she remembered, The Eternal Torch could only be in two ways. Flamed out by The Ruler of Fire or can be ignited by any Ruler with the help of heirlooms with fire elements that even Yujin doesn't know what form and how to use it. The last time they checked The Eternal Torch, no flames had lighted.

"Who The Eternal Torch?"

"Me." Wonyoung shrugged her shoulders and smiled with proud. "I found the heirlooms from Ikigaea. Silver bow and arrow."

"What?! How come?" Yujin tried to keep her facial expression. Wonyoung next to her is the figure of The Ruler that she cannot predict.

"Do you remember when I said that Gaia is the shelter and gate of all realms?" Wonyoung turned her body towards Yujin and smiled as the older girl nodded. "I realized that there are several places in Gaia that are meeting points between Gaia and other Realms."

Yujin unconsciously grasped tightly the steering wheel in her hand. "And then?"

"I tried to find those places in search of the heirlooms. At least I have found the Triangular Compass, Silver Bow and Arrow, as well as a Healing Cloak. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything from Oneiroia. That place is too hard for me to touch." Wonyoung rubs her hands with a faint smile. "But no problem, we have plenty of time to search anything from Oneiroia."

"What do you mean?" Yujin glanced at Wonyoung.

"Seoul, Incheon, Daegu, Gangwondo, Jeju, and Busan are some meeting points between Gaia and other realms. I think you already know that Gallia in Seoul is one of the gates to Astreaia." Yujin nodded at Wonyoung's words. "I feel something special at Chrysalis Village. I'm not quite sure yet, but the place has different energy as if someone is guarding it."

"We can move to another place if you feel that place is dangerous. You can say no to Unnies if you don't want to move there." Hearing what Wonyoung said, Yujin didn't even care if she had to return to set foot on Gallia.

"On the contrary, Unnie. I felt like the place was protecting me. I felt that place calling me. Interesting, right?"

 

***

 

Chérie, Seoul

Friday, October 24th, 2025

"Did you know Chaeyeon is part of Architecture 11?" Eunbi looked at the Japanese girl who was enjoying tea in front of her.

Sakura's hand movements stopped. She smiled and put her teacup on the table. Without saying a word she reached for the fork to cut the strawberry cheesecake and chewed slowly. Eunbi sighed at Sakura's response. Sakura would naturally prefer to be on her best friend's side than her leader, and that's a bit annoying for Eunbi's liking.

"You are part of the Delta Team, Kkura. You shouldn't-"

"Are you annoyed that Chrysalis Village became The Pillar's choice or are you insecure because Chaeyeon didn't tell you about her involvement in the Chrysalis project?" Sakura cut Eunbi's sentence still with a smile on her lips.

"Both," Eunbi answered quickly and made Sakura laugh.

Eunbi took a sip of coffee and took a deep breath. She stared at the glass window beside her. The sky was already dark without leaving an orange tinge of the sun. Covered by heavy rain. "I lost everything that night, including Lee Chaeyeon."

Sakura bit her lower lip, trying to find the right words to make Eunbi feel less guilt and neglected.

"You didn't lose her. Chaeyeon loves you. You just lost her trust, Unnie, and you weren't the only one going through it. If this lessens your insecure feelings, Chaeyeon didn't tell me anything about her involvement in the Chrysalis Project. Lee Chaeyeon stopped telling me everything that happened to her life after that day. I learned about Chaeyeon's involvement when Jungeun asked my permission to join the Chrysalis project three years ago."

"Jungeun? Kim Jungeun?" Eunbi tried to remember something. "Did she was the one who created The Feathers Bullet for Cherry Rose?" Sakura nodded and leaned back to remember Jungeun's request years ago. "She worked for Cherry Rose and you let her work on Architecture 11 at the same time?" Eunbi looked at her cluelessly.

"That was one of the conditions she put forward when I asked her to join Cherry Rose. She doesn't want to be restrained. What she wants was her freedom. Besides, she only asked for time on the weekends so I gave her the permission she needed. Jungeun never disappoints me. The Feathers Bullet was amazing project for Cherry Rose. We were ranked first as the best-selling game in the world before Sapphire Crown broke our record last year. But still, Kim Jungeun is a genius, perfectionist, and professional. At the moment we have a solid team. I- Cherry Rose needs her. We can't lose her. Nope, when Sapphire has another Troika as their next project."

Sakura took a deep breath talking about her job which had been stressing her all over this year. Hyewon was not joking when she said Sapphire would beat Cherry Rose. Despite their bad relationship, Sakura knows, Sapphire Troika always be a great competitor who was not easy to beat. What they have done in the past year proves that the three of them didn't only want a single win, but over and over again.

"The Sapphire Series has a different project team from the Sapphire Crown. Lee Chaeyoung, Jeon Heejin, and Kim Hyunjin are the ones who have responsibility for the Sapphire Series. They graduated from the same university as (Kim) Chaewon. They took over the role of the Sapphire Troika during the Sapphire Series project. Heejin is an illustrator, music composer, and arranger of several well-known games before she joined Sapphire Corp. Meanwhile, Chaeyoung and Hyunjin are graduated from the same major as Yena and Chaewon. Chaeyoung is a programmer and game developer, while Hyunjin is an architect specializing in graphic and product designers as well as 3D visualization artists. They are also in charge of public relations between Sapphire with the press and media representatives. I heard they're going to work with Boussole and Lyra Academy. I know what their goal is after this. Making the Sapphire Crown is not only a game but also a part of fashion and lifestyle. Collaboration with Boussole and Lyra Academy opens up many new business opportunities. They are crazy!"

"If they choose to take a chance on a new business, doesn't that mean you have a chance to put out a new game and beat them?"

Sakura grimaced at Eunbi's question.

"Insiders say they have another team, Unnie. Another troika which was formed to issue the next project which will replace the Sapphire Crown and Sapphire Series. They are Park Chaewon, Choi Yerim, and Son Hyejoo. I don't know how they all ended up in the same company but I couldn't ignore their reputation. (Park) Chaewon is a vlogger who always manages to make the products and activities she does in her videos go viral and be loved. She was well known as an influencer and content creator before she joined Sapphire. Hyejoo is a game developer who is also Yena and Jungeun's junior. From Jungeun, I know that this girl won gold in an Olympiade for the game developer when she was still in college. Meanwhile, Yerim, she is a business analyst and researcher. She once helped Cherry Rose while we were doing research on The Feathers Bullet and all the hypotheses she put when criticizing The Feathers Bullet are completely accurate. It's a shame at that time I didn't realize her capabilities and only appointed her as an intern. They are a promising team for the next Sapphire Troika. Sunny Lee chose an amazing team to join her playground." Sakura's forefinger moved along the rim of the cup with her gaze shifting to the café door.

Sakura frowned when someone with a familiar cold expression walked in and walked over to the table in the corner of the café. Sakura didn't realize that someone was already sat there when the girl arrived. The girl with shoulder-length wavy hair approached the other girl in a blue plaid coat and a white t-shirt who was on the opposite side of Sakura and Eunbi's table. She was seen hugging the girl who had sat down earlier and was playing games with her tablet. Her cold expression immediately changed to a gentle smile with a chuckle slipped on her lips as the girl in her arms whined because her surprise arrival made the other girl lose the game. She took off her embrace after giving a quick kiss on the blue plaid girl's forehead before draping her bag on the empty chair next to her. She took off the burgundy coat that clad to her body, leaving a black fitted t-shirt with two buttons open on top. It looks charming wrapped around her slender and tall body. After that, she's sitting across the other girl with her back faced Eunbi and Sakura.

"Did Chaeyeon ask you to pick her up?"

Sakura's gaze returned to Eunbi and shook her head, "I don't even know when she will come back." Sakura chuckled and glanced at her vibrating phone before turning back to focus on Eunbi.

"I argued with her when I drove her to the airport some time ago. You know," Sakura turned the ring on the finger ring and looked at Eunbi's finger, the place where a similar ring with a different gem was embedded. "I asked her to stop ignoring you and let you go if she doesn't want you. She looks annoyed but I know she can't lose you. Give her time to think, Unnie. I'm sure everything will be back to the way it was before."

"I don't think it's that easy, Kkura." Eunbi seemed to force her smile. "I warned Chaewon to be careful around Doyeon. I think I'll do the same to Hyewon and Chaeyeon because they share the same circle of friends with that girl."

Sakura's eyes narrowed at Eunbi's words. She looked thoughtful before leaning over Eunbi and grabbing the older girl's hand in hers, squeeze it firmly but gently.

"You don't have any evidence if that girl was involved in the incident five years ago, Unnie. We know that Kim Doyeon was in Paris when it happened." Her thumb caressed the back of Eunbi's hand when she saw the anxiety on the older girl's face.

"She was in Paris, doesn’t mean that she can’t sneak up to Astreaia. I saw her at Oneiroia a while ago. I found out her birth date, and even if she was gifted, she is in the half-blood warrior caste. Only pure-blood warrior and healer can go to Oneiroia, Kkura.”

Sakura blinked at Eunbi's explanation. Not expecting that the warrior leader of Delta Team was to investigate Chaewon's cousin background for real.

"Probably what you see at Oneiroia was the counterpart. Oneiroia and Astreaia are a realm as well as a parallel universe for The Ruler of Water and Earth, Unnie. Gifted Childs are only born on Earth and have no counterpart in any realm." Sakura tried to come up with an excuse as to what she knew all along.

"I just feel that Kim Doyeon is different. The way she talks and looks at interlocutors is enough to convince me that she is special. Or yeah... It could be that all of this is just me worrying too much." Eunbi exhaled hard before leaning her back against the chair. "I wouldn't have worried like this if she weren't Chaewon's cousin. I didn't too worry about Hyewon because she wasn't seen hangout with the girl very often. But Chaewon would be hurt if Kim Doyeon betrayed her. And Lee Chaeyeon gave me a headache because it turned out that she was working with Doyeon behind my back."

Sakura nodded in understanding. She understood what Eunbi's worries are. From that day on, not only the relationship between Delta and Omega changed like a stranger, but their days were no longer the same.

They can't count how many lies they have told Wonyoung who lost her memory about what happened in the past. Not a little time has been wasted in their hypocrisy covering up the lies planned by The Elder. They have no choice. The message that Delta received that night made them unable to do much.

That night, Eunbi and Kaeun found a papyrus tucked into the coat which Wonyoung wore when she found Wonyoung and Yujin lying unconscious in Gallia. There were so many questions about what happened that night. They could not leave Gallia and made them decide to follow what The Elder ordered and try to investigate what was happened.

At first, they thought that Wonyoung's return would anger The Pillar and make them expose all the lies of The Elder and Delta Team to Wonyoung. However, it's the opposite. The Pillar and Omega Team said nothing to Wonyoung about their past and left things as they were. One thing that they had not taken into account before. Besides, Wonyoung's memory which did not return made the Delta Team seem to have hit a dead end.

Eunbi rubbed her temples which throbbed in pain. "What do you think they're up to– what is The Pillar plan?"

"You ask me as if I'm part of them, Unnie." Sakura took another sip of the tea. For the umpteenth time in the last ten minutes, her gaze shifted to the two figures who sat opposite side of their table.

"You have the closest relationship with The Pillar. You're always a part of them for anything related to breaking the rules. Sometimes I even forget that you are part of the Delta Team, Sakura." Eunbi looked thoughtful before she snorted. "Until now only you are still interacting with Omega Team."

Sakura giggled hearing upon Eunbi's speech. She grabbed a napkin and wiped her lips before answering the older girl's question, defending herself to be more precise. But before she could speak, Eunbi cut back.

"Before you try to defend yourself, can you please explain to me why you keep staring at them?" Eunbi tilted her head, with her chin pointing to the direction where

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter