Chapter 45 (Penumbra)

Violet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

VVIP Suite, Unity Hospital, Seoul

Monday, November 10th, 2025

“Can I kiss you, Unnie?”

“You did that already. You kissed me here, here, here, here, and here.” Yujin pointed to her head, brow, temple, cheeks, and nose. “When I was sick, you even kissed my palms and the back of my hands to share your energies.”

“That's not the kind of kiss I'm talking about, Unnie.”

Yujin blinked her eyes and seemed confused for a moment before a small smile appeared on her face.

“Do you have feelings for me?” Yujin asked calmly. Her thumb brushed against the back of Wonyoung's hand, feeling the electricity from their energies.

“Huh?” Wonyoung appears taken aback by Yujin's question.

“The consequence of a Ruler's kiss is unlike any other kiss. Kissing me means that you have chosen me to be your Scepter. Didn't you promise yourself that you wouldn't force anyone to be your Scepter and that you'd only have a Scepter if you and your partner love each other? Don't do that unless you love me.”

Wonyoung repeated Yujin's words, “Don't do that unless you love me. Does that mean you love me and want to know how I feel about you? Did you feel forced when I asked your permission to kiss you?”

Yujin laughs, shaking her head.

“You are a Ruler, and I have no right to reject your proposal. But, that doesn’t matter. I just want to make sure you won't regret it. I have no idea what you're thinking right now. I just wanted to remind you that we've only known each other for about four months. You have plenty of time to think about it and decide your Scepter.”

Wonyoung looked at Yujin with knitted brows as if she'd said something silly.

“Are you always this rational with people who confess their feelings to you?”

“You didn't confess your feelings to me,” Yujin calmly responded, but Wonyoung didn’t fight back.

Don’t tell me… Did you- Yujin lifted her head as she stared at Wonyoung. But Yujin was taken aback when their eyes met.

Oh.

Oh.

Yujin coughed awkwardly as she took her eyes everywhere but Wonyoung.

“And I wasn't being rational. Sometimes I agree to their invitation for a date. A friendly date is not a crime. I like having fun with no feeling of attachment.”

“Then why-?” Wooyoung asked with a foreign look in her eyes, “why did she leave you?”

Wonyoung's question surprises Yujin. Her lips formed an 'O' before she chuckled bitterly.

“Because she thought I'd live happily ever after without her.”

“And you let her think that way?”

Yujin shook her head. “I tried to change her mind, but she was too stubborn to listen to me.”

Wonyoung frowned and couldn't help but think about the reality she had heard as if leaving Yujin was impossible for anyone who got that much attention and affection from her. “Did you ever see her after she left you?”

Yujin looked thoughtful before nodding.

“I met her, but there was nothing I could do. Everything has happened, and it is now in the past. As I said before, let the past stay in the past. We can not change the fate that has already been sealed. All I can do is try not to make the same mistakes again.”

“You say that as if her leaving didn't have any effect on you. But I think you have nightmares about it all the time.”

Wonyoung's words made Yujin chuckle.

“I never slept peacefully after she left me. But that's my problem, not hers. I, like her, choose my own life. I should be able to control myself and not be stuck in the past.”

“Have you ever held a grudge against her?”

“I have no reason for doing that.” Yujin gave her a friendly smile. “She did what she should, and blaming her will never make me feel better. After all, she didn't want to leave me. Because of the circumstances, she was forced to choose between my life and hers. I'm in a position where I don't have the authority to intervene in her decisions.”

“But you're still having nightmares.” Wonyoung's brows almost knitted together in protest. “You must find a way to stop your nightmare. You become weak and hurt if your energies do not synergize well.”

Yujin leaned in closer to Wonyoung, ignoring her aching ribs.

“I have an Ankh heirloom, Jang Wonyoung. The owner of an Ankh heirloom will never have a quiet life. How can an Ankh heirloom owner live in peace if they are aware that they will be hunted to be killed?” Yujin took Wonyoung's hand in hers. “That's why I'm telling you that you have plenty of time to choose the Scepter and not to kiss an Ankh heirloom-wielding Pillar. That is completely inappropriate for you.”

Wonyoung gave a faint smile in response to Yujin's reasoning. Yujin was close, but there seemed to be a thick wall between them. Whatever Wonyoung feels for Yujin always puts her in dilemma. Yujin appeared to care about her and was always able to make her feel at ease, but she also tried to keep her distance subtly and didn’t allow Wonyoung to touch her inner feelings. Wonyoung would have almost missed the gesture if she hadn't done the same. Even though she feels safe when Yujin is around, something in her always wants to know why which makes her question Yujin's existence in her life.

Yujin was like a gray area in that she couldn't fully trust but also couldn't let go. Wonyoung had no choice but to keep this relationship going. She had to carry out her plan, and keeping Yujin close to her now was her priority.

Wonyoung gently caressed Yujin's face as she slowly released her hand from Yujin's grip.

“What if I still want you despite my feelings? Like, regardless of the risks you've tried to explain, I don't care.” After hearing what Wonyoung said, Yujin's jaw hardened. “Having a Pillar with an Ankh heirloom as a Scepter is beneficial to both me and Astreaia. Without a Scepter, I can't protect my people. Furthermore, you are a Pillar with the same element as me. You are most likely an Odd-Eyed. Unnie, I need your assistance. I need power, and you're perfect to be my Scepter.”

Hearing that, Yujin's breath caught in . Wonyoung, who was now in front of her, repeated what she had said five years ago. Wonyoung needs her to use her. The difference is that Wonyoung, who had been by her side five years ago, said that to save her. Wonyoung, who is now in front of her, is far more dangerous. Realizing the change, Yujin's hands clenched tightly under the blanket that covered her body.

It feels like déja vu.

Yujin swears that Wonyoung will not get what she wants so easily this time.

Let's see how far you can handle me, Jang Wonyoung.

“Kiss me,” Yujin said, smiling. “Kiss me whenever you want.”

 

***

 

Sapphire Corp, Seoul

Tuesday, November 11th, 2025

“Yena, move!! Yah!” Hyewon's voice was loud.

“Kim Hyunjin! GET OUT!” Chaeyoung shouted at the top of her lungs as she killed Hyunjin's character.

“Lee Chaeyoung! You— Yah!”

“Kwangbae, Kwangbae, Kwangbae! Shoot!” It was Yena's turn to shout. She jumped excitedly as she saw Hyewon's character going face-to-face with Chaeyoung.

“Yena-ya... Stupid! Keep quiet! SHUT UP!!”

“What on earth did they do?” (Kim) Chaewon looked at the digital clock on the wall. The loud noise from the lounge opposite them distracted her while she was checking her work.

“As usual, they're always fooling around when they’re together.” (Park) Chaewon responded in a calm tone. She chuckled when she saw (Kim) Chaewon pursing her lips and trying to focus on what she was doing.

Unlike the others, (Kim) Chaewon prefers to check the progress of Sapphire Tier in the meeting room rather than playing games in the lounge. (Park) Chaewon had been working beside her on several websites and black screens with programming code, which caused (Kim) Chaewon to frown when she peeked at her screen. The other Chaewon appears to have some files that Eunbi also had. Nonetheless, (Kim) Chaewon did not want to bother her. She let her partner continue with her work.

“Did The Elder force you to delete everything about Wonyoung on your social media after her death, Chaewon-ah?” (Park) Chaewon had asked the question.

“What?!” Chaewon (Kim) frowned at the question.

“I couldn't find a single mention of Wonyoung on your social media. Even after she returned, I couldn't find anything.” The younger girl's tone sounded more confused than pressing, stirring (Kim) Chaewon to turn around and take a close look at her.

“From the beginning, The Elder banned us from publicizing anything about her. We had a few polaroids and film camera photos, but The Elder's people destroyed them soon after her death. They only allow us to post something about our family.” (Kim) Chaewon grumbled. “However, I think it was for the best for Wonyoung's safety.”

“Some of the gifted people I know never post anything about their families. Hyeju and Hyunjin deleted all of their photos with their sister after they found out that Juyeon Unnie and Hyunjung Unnie were gifted. Minjoo and Yujin even denied the fact that they're cousins.”

“However, Choi Yena is still clueless that Yerim is gifted, and she puts her in danger because she is oblivious.” (Kim) Chaewon laughed as she saw some of Yerim's pictures on Yena's social media.

“Yeah, that's why someone from your Ruler Line attacked Yerim and stole the golden chain from her. I still can't forgive what happened, Chae.” (Park) Chaewon scoffed, remembering what happened some time ago. “And Kim Doyeon also knows you're gifted, and she pretended to be clueless.”

“You seem pretty sure she's gifted.” (Kim) Chaewon snickered.

“How much evidence do you need to admit she's gifted? She hurt you that night because she accidentally let you see her past. You know that, and you're so persistent in denying her position. Both of you love to pretend to be ignorant.” (Park) Chaewon shook her head at the other girl's reaction. “I'm starting to wonder if Kim Doyeon is an Odd Eye, or for the worse, a member of the group that sent the Eidolons and Necromancers to attack us. Kim Doyeon always appears whenever a significant event happens. I'm sure you realize it as well.”

“What do you mean?” (Kim) Chaewon frowned. “Significant event?”

“Kim Doyeon is well-known as a social media icebreaker because her name is constantly trending, and she shifts big news that has previously trended for days or weeks. She is the sole survivor of Kim Dani's deadly accident. Her name was also widely known when she launched her fashion label, La Filledhivers. Also, when she admitted to being an architect in the Chrysalis Project. Even after she sold the majority of her stock to Jessica Jeong. It's always Evangeline Kim. Her name came up a lot in the Yujin and Hyeju accidents, even though she had nothing to do with them. She was also present when Sapphire changed to Nadir. There's something about her that irks me. I assume she already knows when our primetime was.”

“Our primetime?”

“Most of the events or accidents that happened between us occurred during our prime time. At the new and full moon phases. Those were the times when they would enjoy the show and make sure that the victim's agony would be the most interesting to satisfy their greed. “The time when they are constantly trying to change fate and the laws of the universe.” (Park) Chaewon inhaled deeply.

“That night, Chae, before I went to your apartment, I met Doyeon Unnie and Heejinie in the same place. I don't know what happened, but Heejin was supposed to be at Ellas Tower for her new project, as far as I know.” (Kim) Chaewon looks thoughtful.

“Heejin can do illusions. Are you sure that the one you met is Jeon Heejin? The real Jeon Heejin?” (Park) Chaewon mocked her in a teasing tone.

“Then what should I do to find out Heejin's real whereabouts?” (Kim) Chaewon pouted.

“You already know what Heejin's position is in my ruler line. You only need to verify it with the ancient one, which happened to be Wonyoung's. Besides, I also want you to find out what happened the night they attacked Hyeju and Yujin. Heejin suspects something happened that night because in her ancient books it is written that all the owners of Ankh Heirloom were in the same place. Apart from Hyeju and Yujin, two other Ankh heirloom owners were also there. The crazy thing was that one of them died. That means Ankh Heirloom has a new owner. But who?”

“The situation is getting more complicated. Don't you feel the war is getting closer?”

(Park) Chaewon laughed bitterly at the question. “It's been five years since you chose to pull away from your destiny, so much has happened in that time, Chae. You probably didn't do anything because it was part of their plan. Everything looks normal in Gaia, but not in reality. The war continues differently. They invisibly destroy everything. For me, this war has never stopped since I lost Yeojinie.”

“Are those in my ruler line doing the same thing?”

(Park) Chaewon nodded.

“Lee Kaeun and Kwon Eunbi, as well as the other gifted people who have come under their leadership, have never stopped looking for heirlooms. At that time, I did not know if Wonyoung was still alive. We thought they were on the other side, joining another Ruler Line to seek shelter. The Elder hid Wonyoung's whereabouts carefully. We only found out about Wonyoung's existence when she returned to Seoul.”

“Jang Wonyoung came back with nothing to remember, Chae. As far as I know, it wasn't part of The Elder's plan. However, this situation is not favorable for us. Wonyoung can't use her whole abilities as a Ruler.”

“Are you sure Wonyoung doesn't remember anything about that night?” (Park) Chaewon asked without taking her eyes off her screen. “Did you know that if Wonyoung checked out about Yujin, you, Yena Unnie, and Hyewon Unnie used Jang Gyuri's UniThiev account on the night that Hyeju and Yujin were attacked? That kid is full of curiosity. She doesn't know who to watch out for, which is bad because she needs to deal with the situation and a lot of people. Nor does she know who is behind the UniThiev system.”

“Did you hack UniThiev's security system?” (Kim) Chaewon, who knew who the owner of UniThiev was, rolled her eyes at what (Park) Chaewon said.

“Nope. Not just any hacker can hack UniThiev. Ha Sungwoon and Lee Luda are the masters of UniThiev, which makes UniThiev's security system impenetrable. I've never met Ha Sungwoon, and I don't know if he's gifted or not. Meanwhile, Lee Luda is not on our side, and I know my skills are not up to par. I'm still lacking, and only two people in my ruler line are capable of competing with her.

“Who?”

“Of course, I am, Unnie.”

They couldn't keep their hearts from racing as they realized someone had eavesdropped on them. They turned towards the door and sighed with relief when they saw Hyeju approaching them. But, they frowned as Hyeju placed her finger to her lips before moving her hands in sign language to ask them to follow her conversation.

“You will only get my name, Miss Kim, no other names. Knowing too much will only hurt you,” Hyeju said, caressing the table's bottom.

“Tsk, I know you'd hide another name and have no faith in me.” (Kim) Chaewon quickly role-played when she noticed Hyeju's annoyed expression when she discovered the tapping devices.

“I only trust my ruler line.” Hyeju fumbled around the table.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter