Chapter 35 (Adjacent)

Violet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rooftop Café, Sapphire Corp., Seoul

Saturday, November 1st, 2025

Hyunjin smiled without taking her eyes off the figure who still smiling broadly in the middle of the flower garden in the greenhouse located in the corner of the rooftop. With a water hose in her hand, Heejin looks sincerely watching her favorite roses. Her face looked so bright as she asked the gardener to check around. Last night was a downpour. She will make sure rainwater doesn't get in and damage the flowers.

“Stubborn and determinant, as usual, Jeon Heejin,” Hyunjin muttered more to herself. Smiling amused by what she saw from a distance.

Isn't it surprising that roses bloom in the fall?

Surprising, of course.

Roses should bloom after spring is over. But Hyunjin knows, Heejin is quite stubborn and does everything she can to make it real.

It's been a year since Heejin returned to Seoul and got a permit to build the greenhouse in this place making Hyunjin smile proudly at her girlfriend. At least this place has now become one of the favorite spots for employees to relax while working.

“She's always good with everything, right?” Hyunjin turned and saw Hyewon sitting next to her. The older girl looks sleepy with half-open eyes. “Heejin made so many unique and beautiful designs. She can play musical instruments and score games. She is also good at gardening, cooking, and baking. Heejin has golden hands. You're so lucky, Hyun.”

Hyunjin laughed at Hyewon's words. She brought the edge of the cup to her lips, taking a slow sip.

“She worked hard to achieve what she has now, Unnie.” Hyunjin didn't take her eyes off Heejin. “I bet you wouldn't believe me if I said I was traumatized by Heejin's cement brownies.”

“Well, you say that as if I never noticed the way you looked at her. You always bother her, but I know you love her very much. You're so whipped with everything when it comes to her.” Hyewon laughed.

“I'm trying.” Hyunjin turned and smiled when she saw Hyewon looking at her with confusion in her eyes. “I try not to show it too much. You are right. I love her so much that I'm terrified by the fear that one day she'll get bored and leave me.” Hyunjin laughed at her confession. “That sounds stupid, right? I hope Heejin never finds out how insecure I feel that often bothers me.”

“You're just like Hyejoo. She always acts like she doesn't care, but when she's with me in Vienna, I can tell she's stressed because Yerim isn't by her side.” Hyewon pointed to the other side of the rooftop and Hyunjin followed her gaze.

Hyejoo was lying on Yerim's lap. Her face looks serious staring at the phone, playing a game. Not much different from Yerim, who did the same thing. The difference is that Yerim seems to be contacting someone. One hand rested on Hyejoo's stomach, gently caressing it. Hyunjin snorted at the sight of the two in front of her. When Hyunjin woke up earlier, she heard Hyejoo whining because of nausea and headache. The reason seems helpful that makes her so clingy with Yerim.

“I haven't seen Chaewon since last night. Where is she? I thought she'd be spending the night in Sapphire like the others.”

“We have two Chaewon. Who is Chaewon you're talking about?” Hyunjin's one eyebrow raised at Hyewon's question.

“Of course Park Chaewon. Kim Chaewon would positively choose to be near Minjoo rather than be with us here.” Hyewon snorted realizing Hyunjin was purposely asking that to annoy her.

“I think she spent the night with her ex. I saw them stick like glue throughout our event.” Hyunjin responded casually with a smile on her lips. “I'm surprised to see you here. As I remembered, there were at least three of your ex-girlfriends hanging around all night.”

“You can't consider a one-night stand as a serious relationship, Kim Hyunjin.” Hyewon waved her hand with a shake of her head.

“It's easier for you to admit that your relationship was a one-night stand than a serious relationship that ran aground halfway.” Hyunjin laughed amused at Hyewon's confession. “You're incredible, Unnie. I learned a lot from you.”

“I think I love myself too much to be in a serious relationship with anyone else. I'm not you and Heejin or Hyejoo and Yerim who can't be away from each other.”

“Hyejoo and Yerim have been used to being together since childhood, Unnie. Did you know that Yerim was Hyejoo's first friend?” Unlike their daily fights, Hyunjin seems to know a lot about Hyejoo.

Hyewon turned around with a curious look. She tried to hold back her laughter seeing how Hyunjin looked excited to tell Hyejoo and Yerim's childhood story.

“Juyeon Unnie said that as a baby Hyejoo was quite a crybaby and sensitive. One day, their family visited Yerim's family who were close friends of their father. At that time, the Choi family had just returned to Seoul after long years living in California. And you know? Hyejoo had another tantrum. She felt uncomfortable because she was in a new place and cried aloud. But miraculously, she immediately stopped crying when Yerim grabbed her hand. I can imagine how adorable it must have been to see them when they were little.”

“So, they've been together since childhood?” Hyewon looked surprised by the information.

“To be precise, when Hyejoo was six months old, and Yerim was around eleven months old. Since then, they have been together. All I know is that they only separated when they were in college.” Hyunjin added with a big smile.

“I think their story is similar to Mina's.” Hyewon smiled as she remembered something about her cousin.

“Your cousin that owns the Turchase?” Hyunjin asked for sure.

Hyewon nodded excitedly.

“Your story about Yerim and Hyejoo reminds me of Mina and Doyeon. You must know Evangeline Kim.” Hyunjin nodded in response to Hyewon's words. “They were born on the same date, at the same time, and in the same hospital. I felt moved when I saw the video of them in the baby crib with their tiny hands holding each other. I could say they have been friends since they were born. Their meeting was like a fate.” Hyewon smiled as she said that.

Hyunjin looks tensed. Her jaw tightened with a frown as if she was contemplating something. “Are they dating like Yerim and Hyejoo?” Hyunjin asked carefully.

“Nope. They each have lovers.” Hyewon denied with a loud laugh. “But they were never far apart for a long time, let alone to different continents. Mina moved to Rome when Doyeon studied in Paris. Doyeon returned to Seoul after Mina decided to open Turcase here. Doyeon didn't even do the same thing when her lover lived long enough in New York.”

“Oh.” The sudden realization hit her hard.

It was because they could visit each other at any time using Tunnel Time.

Hyunjin smiled at that explanation. Hyewon didn't need to know what precious information she accidentally gave her. Hyewon didn't need to know what she found out.

Honestly, Hyunjin felt goosebumps from the first time Hyewon sat next to her. At first, she thought it was a side effect of the alcohol that had not completely disappeared from her body. But as they talked, Hyunjin realized one thing. Hyewon had another intention by choosing to spend the night in Sapphire with them. Hyunjin should have chosen to ignore the conversation with Hyewon.

Something has happened in this place. Something that made Hyunjin's protective cover work when she was in close range with someone from the different Ruler Line. But in the end, Hyunjin realized, Hyewon knew something.

For the first time, Hyunjin wanted to do the same. Hyewon deliberately led this conversation to find something.

“Unnie,” Hyunjin turned to look at Hyewon, who turned to her, signaling at her if she asked Hyunjin to continue her words.

“You must have known that there will be a party at RoadEye tonight,” Hyewon nodded, “are you coming?”

 

***

 

Ha’s Residence, Seoul

Saturday, November 1st, 2025

Haseul took a deep breath. Although the news was not related to each other, somehow, the intuition told her that there was something behind all the events that happened in less than 12 hours.

She massaged her temples throbbing in pain after reading the headlines of the news portal. Her gaze turned to Kahei, who was preparing breakfast. Unconsciously Haseul twisted the ring on her ring finger and took a deep breath. Being around Kahei was the only thing she could do to keep her sanity. What happened the last few days was like a roller coaster for her. She didn't even count how many doors she had destroyed. How many times did she pass through Tunnel Time to maintain the balance of the realm that was shaken?

“Unnie, Solie will get cranky if she has to come in contact with the medicine. I guess you should trick her to give her medicine.” Sooyoung appeared in the pantry with groceries in her hand. She put the paper bag on the kitchen counter and walked over to Kahei. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

“I'm almost done. Can you accompany Haseul? Looks like both of you have a lot to talk about.” Kahei turned to look at Haseul over her shoulder. She smiled as their gazes met.

“Jo Haseul would only nag me if I was around her,” Sooyoung grumbled. Even so, she didn't refuse and took a plate of the omelet beside Kahei. She walked over to the dining table, leaving Kahei that still busy with the ginseng soup she prepared for Jinsol, who was still sleeping.

“What's up?” Sooyoung took her place in front of Haseul.

“What happened last night?” Haseul asked to the point. “What made Heejin’s protective layer crumble?”

“I haven't left this apartment since last night. Are you sure you're asking me that?” One of Sooyoung's eyebrows rose at Haseul's question. “You're her Pillar. Someone she trusts most. But Solie and I were nothing more than traitors supposed dead. We were villains in this story, Seul. You shouldn't believe me.”

“But you trusted me. You trust Kahei Unnie. You also let Chaewon touch Solie. How can I not trust you if you still believe in me? Even when you choose to stay on the other side, you can't erase the fate that Jinsol is a Pillar and you, Jinsol's Tier are on the same Ruler Line as me.” Haseul took a deep breath.

“Sooyoung-ah… Solie was there. That means she knew Heejin was in danger and was willing to protect her. Should I remind you that being the villains was the only way you guys should take to keep our realm alive? Sometimes, it's hard to resist the urge to beat you up when you're too deep into your role and forget the fact that you're one of the leaders in our Ruler Line. I need you. We need you.”

“Seul, you know I failed when-”

“Yeojin is my responsibility, and Jiwoo is your responsibility.” Haseul cut in. She shakes her head, not letting Sooyoung bring up what happened a few years ago. She took Sooyoung's hand and squeezed it gently. “I would have done the same if I were in your position. As the leader of Omega, I'm sure one-day Jungeun will understand.”

“If you say that just because you want to know what happened last night, you're asking the wrong person, Seul. I do not know anything.”

“Ha Sooyoung...” Haseul took a deep breath with an irritated pout. She turned the laptop in front of her. She made sure Sooyoung could see what had been bothering her this morning.

 

The police are still investigating the connection between the demonstrations that took place in recent days and the death of Assemblyman Yoon.

There was an explosion in the weapons storage shed at Camp Aerius, suspected sparks from electricity flowing in the warehouse.

The SE-ILZ plane went missing in the Sea of ​​Japan.

The military warship RD-132 lost contact while patrolling the border.

 

Sooyoung frowned as she was reading the news. But before she could respond, an incoming message on her phone took Sooyoung's attention. She reached for her phone to check incoming messages. The frown on her forehead deepened as she read the message.

“Sooyoungie...”

“Hmm?”

“May I use your UniThiev ID?”

Sooyoung's attention returned to Haseul. “Don't you have your ID?”

“I'm not sure what I would do having access to that extent.” Haseul smiled awkwardly as she rubbed the back of her neck. “Besides, UniThiev will know where I am if I open it using my ID. I'm in this place illegally, Soo.” She reminded Sooyoung of one thing the girl had forgotten.

“Ah, I forgot. You even work on Kahei Unnie's laptop.” Sooyoung leaned over to type in her ID and password. But before she could submit it, the sound of the door opening made Sooyoung's hand movement stop.

“He is one of the important witnesses in our case. Assemblyman Yoon's death would be a threat to him. Make sure you can apply for protection for Assemblyman Hwang, Kyungwon-ah. I will re-examine the cases regarding Assemblyman Yoon and Assemblyman Hwang.”

Jinsol was seen walking through the living room and stopped when she heard Kyungwon speak. Her face still looks a bit pale. She looks messy but still beautiful with her bed hair.

Still, with a stern look on her face, her fingers moved to press another number and waited for the call to connect. Without greeting anyone she walks past the dining table. She opened the refrigerator door and grabbed a bottle of water.

“Where are you, Capt?” Jinsol took a deep breath at the answer on the other end of the phone. “I thought you were in Seoul. You must have heard about Assemblyman Yoon's death as well.”

Jinsol smiled at them before taking her place next to Sooyoung. Automatically her hand moved to find Sooyoung's hand and gripped it tightly as if that was the only thing that kept her on the ground.

“Thank you, Captain Lee. I will tell Kyungwon to meet your team and take care of all the protection application documents for Assemblyman Hwang.” Jinsol pressed the phone between her ear and shoulder. Her hand reached out to grab the water bottle on the table, but Sooyoung preceded her by opening the bottle and handing it to Jinsol.

Jinsol smiled at the gestures. She thanked her with a move of her lips before returning to focus on her conversation on the phone.

“Is Gyuri with you? Can I talk to her?” This time Jinsol straightened her body. She pressed the speaker button and put the phone on the dining table. “Gyul! I keep your little sister safe as I promised you. So, do me a favor.” Jinsol's intonation changed immediately. She took a quick gulp of bottled water and made Sooyoung worry that she might choke.

“You're an attorney, but somehow I always feel like I'm in business matter whenever I talk to you.” Gyuri scoffed, and Sooyoung could imagine the other girl's expression. “Tell me.”

“Please make a statement and document report if Haseul returns to Seoul with your private plane.”

“Ahhhh... Our princess is in Seoul? She must be back using the Dokodemo door, time machine, or whatever with your blood.” Gyuri responded casually and made Jinsol scoff. The younger girl knows too much about anything related to them.

“It's called Tunnel Time, Gyul.” Jinsol corrected and made Gyuri laugh.

“If I do what you ask, does that mean Jo Haseul accepts the offer to work with Victory?” Gyuri's voice was heard holding back laughter. “I can make a statement with the cooperation agreement between Victory Bank and Nyla Architecture on the air.”

“Okay, deal. Haseul will sign the contract. You can send all the documents to our email.” For a moment, Jinsol exchanged glances with Haseul. Haseul clenched her fists at Jinsol when she heard how the girl made decisions on her behalf. Even so, Haseul let Jinsol do that. Jinsol had her reasons, and Haseul believed her. The cooperation between the said companies was not a big deal for her.

“Looks like I have to remind you if our conversation sounds like a business since you always make it a place to trade.”

“C'mon, Sol. I just don't like being indebted especially if what you are risking is your life. I owe you a lot and I know you understand my position. I've never done anything to harm you. After all, you, Sooyoung, and Haseul are still my childhood friends. I also consider Jiwoo and Chaewon like my own sisters.”

“I understand. I think you also know why Haseul didn't agree to the contract right away. It's not about profit or-”

“She doesn't want me to be in danger of going any further in your life. I know, Sol, and I'm tired of hearing it. That's also the reason they told me when they brought Wonyoung to Gallia.” Gyuri cut quickly. “It's okay, I understand. Now, I still wanna cuddle with my girlfriend. We'll talk about this later. Bye, Sol.”

Jinsol grabbed her phone and dialed another number. She put the phone back on the table and let the others hear the conversation. Jinsol's gesture still looks tense and makes Sooyoung grab her wrist to rub the back of the younger girl's hand with her thumb in an attempt to make Jinsol relax.

At this time, Jinsol didn't have time to say hello because the voice on the other side preceded her.

“I've destroyed all your footage at Sapphire, Sol. You're lucky because last night I was still at UniThiev, and you showed up right after Juyeon and Hyejoo left the balcony.”

“But that's not the reason why I contacted you, Lee Luda.” Jinsol brushed it off quickly.

“I've also agreed to Juyeon's offer and joined-”

“That's not it,” Jinsol sighed because Luda didn't let her explain why she called. “Please-”

“The owner of SE-ILZ is Cherry Rose Corp. The plane was often used by Miyawaki Sakura, Takahashi Juri, and Kim Jungeun as well as some of Cherry Rose's top executives for their business trips. But last night they were not on the plane. I will send all data regarding SE-ILZ to your email, Sol. But give me time to access the military security system. The RD-132 military warship is an important asset. It's not easy for me to access all the data regarding that ship.”

“Cool! Thank you so much. I know I can count on you, Lee.” Jinsol looked relieved.

“Why don't you ask Sooyoung to do that? I'm still bitter when I remember Sooyoung is a hacker under the guise of a neurosurgeon. I hate her even though she is my cousin.” Luda's question made the people around Jinsol hold back laughter.

“I will kick her when we meet later,” Sooyoung muttered under her breath and makes Jinsol kiss her lips.

“I need Sooyoung to do other things,” Jinsol answered quickly as if she had predicted the question would come out of Luda's lips.

“Tonight RoadEye is having a party, Sol. Are you coming? Jungeun will be there.” Luda's question made the eyes turn to Jinsol.

Jinsol frowned at that. Jungeun is not a person who likes parties. If the girl was in the crowd for two nights in a row, there must be an important reason to make Jungeun give up her bedtime. Jinsol looks thoughtful. Her fingers tapped gently on the surface of the table before she took a deep breath.

“I'm sure you know who's coming tonight. If you can't make a decision quickly, it means you already have other plans that you can't drop. What is it this time hmm? Are you planning to visit Oneiroia?” Luda's voice was calm. But Jinsol realized, there was something else implied in her words.

“I'm not you who is interested in Oneiroia.” Jinsol scoffed. “RoadEye will only drain my energy. I wouldn't have to come if Ash and her Ruler Line were there anyway. After what happened last night, Jung Chaeyeon will beat me up if she finds me there.”

“Sol…”

“Hmm?”

“Did you know that all the photos on Yujin's website weren't taken in the present? She took the photos from the past with Tunnel Time and pretended as if nothing happened.”

Jinsol chuckled. Of course, she knew that. “Your question reminds me that I should be careful with her. Besides having a complicated destiny, she has heirlooms with an ankh symbol. Sooner or later, she will become the target of the Eidolons and Necromancers. The type of warrior who likes playing with the death.”

“You sound like you're talking about yourself, Sol. Please, don’t make Sooyoung have the same fate as me.” Jinsol bit her lower lip when she noticed Sooyoung's grip tightened when she heard Luda say that. “I don't know what exactly you are planning with the others. But, please, be careful with those with the butterfly symbol. They are destined to be the clash of every plot of The Odd-Eyes.” This time Luda's voice sounded different.

“You have a butterfly symbol.” Jinsol's voice sounded light. “Does that mean I have to be careful with you?”

“Jung Jinsol…” Luda's tone sounded a warning. “I'm not in the Chosen One Circle anymore. You've got my position after the death of-”

“Luda-ya…” Jinsol cut in and seemed to hesitate for a moment to continue her words. “I hope you haven't forgotten… In the Butterfly lore, there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter