It Can Be A Next Step.

The Moments I Live For
Please log in to read the full chapter

After a short break, it was time for Red Velvet to start preparing for their next comeback.  Wendy was happy to get started again, as she always was, but when she heard about the concept she was a bit worried.  Really Bad Boy, a play off of one of their very successful comebacks Bad Boy, however the name would be the only thing similar.  The new title track did not have the R&B vibe that the fans loved from Bad Boy, it was more bold and couldn’t really fit into one genre.  Wendy liked the song, and so did the other members, however she was unsure about how their fans would react since it differed so much from Bad Boy.

 

“Seungwan?”  Wendy was snapped out of her thoughts by Irene; she quickly looked over to give the older girl her undivided attention.  “It looks like they want to start recording for the title track tomorrow night.  As usual, they want you to come in first, do you mind?  It’ll be at around 9.”

 

Wendy never minded, however the start time was a little inconvenient.  She was a bit of a perfectionist, and always felt bad about keeping the staff there too late.  “No, that’s fine.  Hopefully I don’t keep everyone there too long.”  She chuckled nervously and scratched the back of her neck.

 

Irene just shook her head “This time it’ll be their fault for starting so late.  By the way…” she smiled then grabbed Wendy’s hand “I was wondering if I could come in with you.  I miss going in to record with other people.”  

 

“No way!” Wendy suddenly said, scaring Irene.  Wendy shot her an apologetic smile before continuing in a quieter voice “I record for a really long time nowadays, and it's super repetitive.  You’d just get bored sitting there for hours!”

 

Irene smiled, “I could never get bored listening to you sing.”

 

Wendy melted at Irene’s words. She blushed before deflecting  “Look who’s being cheesy now.”

 

Irene slapped her arm playfully and laughed “Yah!  I’m being truthful and sweet, you should be happy!”

 

“I am.” Wendy pecked Irene quickly, “Okay, you can come Joohyun, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

 

Irene admits they have been there longer than she initially thought.  She knew Wendy spent the most time in the recording booth compared to the other members of Red Velvet, but she certainly wasn’t expecting four hours.  They both came in having already eaten dinner, and while the staff was surprised to see Irene also there, they brushed past that fact and got right down to business.  Irene had enjoyed seeing Wendy in her element, but after hours singing with only one short break, she could see her frustration was building.

 

Normally Irene would’ve stepped in sooner, told the staff that Wendy could come back another day, however it was actually Wendy holding everyone up.  “I’m sorry guys.”  She heard the younger girl say from inside the booth.  “Can we try again?  I think I can get higher.”

 

“Let’s take a break Wendy-ssi,” the sound producer announced, “you can drink some tea while the rest of us get snacks.”

 

After looking at the time Wendy apologized profusely “Oh my gosh, yes of course!  I’m so sorry!  Once you guys get back I won’t be much longer, I promise!”

 

As everyone filed out and Wendy exited the booth, Irene stood up with open arms, offering a hug to the clearly exhausted girl.  Wendy accepted easily, wrapping her arms around Irene’s waist while the older girl wrapped hers around Wendy’s neck.  “You know you could always come back another day.”

 

“I know, I’m sorry Hyun, this must be really boring.  I’m almost done, this whistle note is just killing me.”

 

Irene nodded, the note in question was rather high and really sounded more like a scream than anything, but that’s what they were going for.  “I was reading online that bending over can help.  Something about activating more muscles to support your breathing.  Did you want to try that?”

 

Wendy pulled away from their hug to smile at Irene.  “You were looking up things to help me?”  Irene nodded cutely, which made Wendy risk a quick kiss.  “That's so sweet.  Okay, I’ll try it!  Can you show me what you mean by bending over?”

 

“Sure, but drink some of this first.”  Irene handed Wendy a mixture of tea and honey that she had prepared prior to the break, then got in position.  It was kind of silly, but this is what the article had described.  “I don’t know how this is supposed to work though…”

 

“Why don’t you try?” Wendy suggested in between sips, and so Irene did.

 

Irene just decided to try the note that Wendy was having trouble with, not really expecting it to sound too good, but she surprised herself.  After looking up, she saw that she surprised Wendy as well.

 

“Joohyun, that was so good!  You should just do the note!”

 

Irene quickly snapped up to attention “No no, I was just showing you that it works, you can do it now!”

 

“But really, you sounded better than I could ever do it!  It’s probably because of your dolphin laugh!”  Wendy laughed as Irene slapped her arm, but decided to press further “I think you should do it Hyun!”

 

Suddenly the staff returned, and before Irene could make her escape, Wendy decided to let them know the good news.  “Hey guys, I think Irene-unnie can do the note with no problems!”  Wendy looked at her and whispered “If you really don’t want to, I’ll do it, but I know you can do it.”  The encouraging smile on Wendy’s face was enough to convince Irene.

 

While recording for the new album, the annual SM Halloween party was also set to occur.  So far, Red Velvet has always attended, mainly because they loved dressing up, but Wendy loved it more than anyone.  It just reminded her of her life back in Canada, where you would dress up and trick-or-treat.  The funny thing is, in the West it was normal to stop dressing up when you became a teenager, however in Korea it was typical to actually start dressing up when you were a teen.  This is probably because the whole “trick-or-treat” part doesn’t actually occur in Korea, and it’s mainly drinking and partying.  Whatever the case, Wendy loved the opportunity to dress up again.

 

This year, the members of Red Velvet decided to be secretive about their costumes, wanting to leave it as a surprise.  Wendy was the first to be ready, she was dressed up as a spy from the Kingsman movie.  She really liked the movie, and thought it would be funny to dress up as a guy, she even got help from one of their makeup artists in painting a beard on her!  She thought she looked pretty cool, but she was ex

Please log in to read the full chapter