That Cold Wall Called Fate

That Cold Wall Called Fate

"No… No, no, no…" I sobbed as I wiped my endless tears with my hands. Everyone was at the hospital, waiting for Suzy to come out from the emergency room. Myungsoo especially looked pale and distressed, while Minho tried to comfort me with every gentle words he could think of. However, that did not stop my guilt for causing Suzy's horrible accident. I clenched my teeth and cried even harder, and Minho was kind enough to get me some tissue. He left me alone with my boyfriend, who felt so far away, yet he was sitting right next to me. I heard him heave a sigh, and wiped my tears from my eyes. He was pale and looked sick. It was as if he would faint any moment now, but his hard expression showed that he had some strength left.

At that moment, high heels tapped against the hospital's floor and an old woman came up to Myungsoo with tears threatening to spill. "I-Is Suzy still in there?"

Myungsoo looked up, widened his eyes, and stood up. He quickly bowed respectfully towards the old woman, who was followed by another old man. There was no need for any introductions. I knew who this couple was: Suzy's parents.

"Hello Mrs. and Mr. Bae. Yes, Suzy is still in the emergency room. They said that the chance of her surviving the accident is low, and…" Myungsoo's eyes watered. "Well, they said if she ever lives, she won't be able to walk. They believe that she will be physically disabled for the rest of her life."

Mrs. Bae gasped and covered as Mr. Bae covered his wife's upset expression with his coat. I could only stare down at my feet. I didn't bother to greet her parents. I bet the least person they wanted to see was me, the person who caused Suzy's horrible accident. 

"How much…" Mr. Bae started. Myungsoo looked up, slightly widened his eyes, then stared down. His expression turned bitter, and that wasn't a good sign for all of us. 

"More than I can give you, and more than you can make," Myungsoo answered. Mr. Bae's eyes enlarged, then hurt filled his gentle, brown orbs. I clenched my fist and stopped crying for a moment. 

Money. That's what I need. I need money. I need money to cure my dad and to help Suzy get better. Suzy has done so much for me, and my father was always supportive of me and Myungsoo. I needed money. A lot of money. This selfishness was eating my up, and I knew it. How am I supposed to tell if this was selfish, though? I was helping so many people in so many ways. Minho even had a contract for me that dealt with tons of money. However, all this came up with a price; a price so large, I couldn't think of giving up what was important to me.

Mr. Bae seemed to have noticed my troubled thoughts because he excused himself and his wife. Once they left, Myungsoo sat back down next to me. He squeezed my hand, and tilted my chin up so that I could face him. My tears were still trickling down my red cheeks, and my nose was still runny. He gave me a small smile and wiped away my tears with the back of his hand.

"It's okay," Myungsoo told me. His voice was soft and gentle; it was so fragile, I thought that his words could actually break. "Suzy is a strong woman. She can handle it. We just have to pray for her health and everything will be alright."

I didn't say a word. My eyes fell down to my lap, and I realized how wet my jeans were. Myungsoo cupped my cheeks, and made me look at his serious expression. He frowned, noticing my awkward expression.

"You look worried. What's in your mind?" he asked. 

It's time, I thought. No more holding on to Myungsoo. It's time.

"Let's go on a date," I blurted. Myungsoo's eyes widened, and he looked so shock, I was afraid that he would get furious. Like I predicted, he scowled and glared at me with a disgusted expression.

"What on earth are you saying? Go out on a date right now? Are you crazy? Suzy is in the emergency room and…" His voice faded away and his mouth shaped into a large 'o.' My fingernails dug into the palm of my hands, and I could only look away from Myungsoo's hurt gaze. I chewed on my bottom lips, my lips trembling and my whole body shaking in fear and guilt. He knew exactly where this was going. He grabbed my wrist and squeezed it tightly until my hand turned pale.

"Myungsoo…"

"No. I refuse. We're not breaking up."

Stab. Those two last words caused me to flinch. "Myungsoo, I'm serious. We have to break up…"

"No, no we don't. We can fight. We'll go through this together, so don't think-"

"I've had enough, Myungsoo!" I yelled. I pulled my wrist away from his grip and gave him a look of anger. "Myungsoo, I need money. My father is in the hospital, and he might die. My family has a huge debt to pay off, and I have to find money somewhere fast. Suzy is in the emergency room, and none of us could pay off her hospital bill. Minho is the only one who can help us, and I doubt that he's going to try to save Suzy or my father. Face it Myungsoo, we're done. We're through. We can't do this anymore." I cupped his cheeks carefully, as if he was made of the purest glass. His eyes glistened under the lights and I felt like we were alone in the empty, white halls. "We aren't meant for each other."

Myungsoo quickly grabbed my hands and pushed it away from his cheeks with caution. "No," he breathed. "Don't say that. Don't ever, ever say that…"

"But it's true!" I shouted. "It's true! We aren't meant for each other! It's so obvious, I'm about to give up-"

"Then don't!" 

"From the first time we made eye contact to our first kiss, we only thought that we were the perfect match-"

"And we are!"

"But we were so wrong. We were so, so wrong. We belong with other people, Myungsoo. I belong with the man who I'm going to be engaged soon-"

"And that's me!" he insisted. He grabbed my hands and cupped it as a tear dropped from his eyes. His hands were white and it shook in fear of my next words. "That's me. I'm the one who's going to be engaged to you. I will be the one to marry you. Don't bring another man to the picture-"

"But you belong with Suzy! You guys are childhood friends-"

"She's only a friend!"

"She's your childhood friend! I bet you never knew that you were her first love. The only reason why she's living is because of you. She loves you, Myungsoo. Heck, she might even love you more than me!" I exclaimed.

"I told you not to say a thing about our relationship like this-"

"You know it!" The three words slipped out of my lips, and that caused Myungsoo to freeze. The air went still, and he stopped arguing. His shoulders tensed up, and my angry expression softened. "You know it better than me. So that's why we aren't meant for each other. Please understand, Myungsoo. Please, please understand…"

He kept quiet, and looked away. His eyes were filled of dread and anger. My head ached and my heart was in pain every time it started to beat. Tears stopped flowing from my eyes as depression overwhelmed my soul. I covered my mouth with my hand, hoping and praying not to cry. 

"Fine, let's break up," he announced. The color of my skin disappeared and my eyes widened as large as two golf balls. I didn't dare to meet his eyes, and I could tell that he wasn't staring at me, too. "Let's break up. However, you have to break up. You have to tell me that you want to break up. I'll let you go, but we aren't having a date. It's not going to be our last date. I'm not going to end our relationship like this."

I stood up. I walked in front of Myungsoo, and hid my eyes behind my curtain of hair. Slowly, I tucked the strands of my hair behind my ear and stared deeply into his eyes. His brown, worried eyes stared at me, telling me not to break up with him. 

Then, I smiled. I have no idea why I smiled, but I smiled as if I appreciated his company and smiled as in thanks for letting me be with him for several years. I held back my tears, and quickly bowed at me.

"Please break up with me," I said. My voice was loud and clear, and it sounded so light and carefree. I slowly glanced at Myungsoo, who had tears flooding down his cheeks. My chest squeezed at the sight of my soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend crying, but I kept a strong look. He got up carefully, and walked towards me. Then, he leaned his head against my shoulder, and whispered out the words that I never wanted to hear.

"Alright, I'll let you go."

At that moment, the emergency light turned green and the doctor approached us. He seemed delighted, and extremely happy about the results that came out. 

"I have great news!" he exclaimed. "Suzy survived the operation!"

 

"Are you sure you're going to sign it?"

"Yes."

"Really? You're not going to hesitate?"

"Yes."

Minho stared at me with an awkward expression. "So you won't have any guilt after signing the contract?"

I kept quiet. My hands stopped for a moment before I was able to reach my pen. I stared at Minho, who seemed concerned and worried about my decision. All I did was smile at Minho and picked up the pen with ease.

"I won't answer that," I told him. "That question isn't necessary in my case." The pen I was holding glided across the corner of the paper, and I had signed the marriage contract. I dropped my pen, and looked up at Minho with a fake grin. "Please take care of me, Minho."

Minho gathered up the paper, and gave me a weak smile. "Thank you for your cooperation, Mrs. Choi."

 

"Eat."

"I can't."

"Why not, Suzy? You need to eat."

"I can't, Myungsoo! After what I've done to you and your girlfriend, I can't! You should've left me dead so that I could support you from heaven!" Suzy snapped. She curled hersef into a ball and wrapped her skinny arms around her knees. She sobbed loudly, ignoring all the other patients in the room. Myungsoo sighed and dropped the bowl of soup to the side of Suzy's bed. He pulled her into a hug, giving her warmth and care. Suzy immediately stopped crying, her heart flooding with relief. She muttered a curse for her feelings for Myungsoo, and began to cry again.

"It's okay, Suzy. It's okay. I knew it would end like this," he whispered. No I didn't. 

"I can't…I can't…I should've left…I'm a bad friend…I'm bad…" Suzy whimpered and started to weep on Myungsoo's shoulder, wetting his clothes until it turned dark. She never knew that Myungsoo had been crying behind her back, mourning for his relationship to come back in peace.

It's only been a few hours before you left with Minho, and I already miss you, he thought, his heart aching in pain.


Five years passed. Five years had passed, and I found myself inside a tall, well-built building. The skyscraper was so hide, I was almost afraid that it would fall and tumble down on the other towers of buildings. I faced out the window, and examined the sky. It was bright blue with clouds boldly standing out with a shade of soft white. The sun glowed radiantly without the clouds covering its beauty. When I softly smiled to myself, a pair of small hands grabbed my skirt. I looked down, and brightened up when I saw a child with the most innocent pair of brown eyes I've ever seen. Then, a pair of arms wrapped around my tiny waist, and the man who I was married to buried his face in my shoulder.

"Hello, ~~~~," Minho greeted me. I smiled and pecked his lips. They weren't as sweet as Myungsoo's, and they weren't as lovely as his either. The sudden thought of my first love caused my smile to drain away from my lips. Then, the pair of hands quickly tugged on my skirt.

"Mommy, what's wrong? Did Daddy make you mad?" the tiny boy asked. I grinned, and picked up the four-year old boy in my arms. I caressed his brown hair and pecked his forehead.

"No, my child. Daddy did not make me mad. I was just tired," I replied. He grinned and stared at me with bright eyes.

Here in my arms was a boy whose brown eyes resembled not Myungsoo's, but Minho's.

"Mommy! Birds! Daddy, look! Birds!" my child exclaimed, He pointed at the flocks of birds that were flapping their wings gracefully to escape from the city's polluted air. I smiled, then allowed only a single tear to slip out from my eyes.

Let's meet and be together in our next life, Myungsoo, I thought. Even if fate forbade us to be together, we'll fight harder. We'll fight our hardest until both of us fall and live again and again. However, one day - just one day - we might be able to fly and press against that cold wall called fate.


The End

Author's Note: At last, I finished this fanfic... Thank you for all you have supported, suscribed, and commented this fanfic! I really appreciate all of you guys supporting this story- late readers and early readers! You guys motivated me to continue writing, and I will improve as the years past by. Thank you so much, and I hope you all enjoyed this story!