A Marriage Proposal

That Cold Wall Called Fate

"How could you keep this away from me? You know how much money we would receive from this deal? Think about it, Mom! Just think about it! We could help Dad get better and make his dream of owning a successful bakery shop true! We can even pay off our debt!" I exclaimed. 

"Dear, we can't possibly do this. It's like selling our own daughter for money," Mom replied, her voice weak and shaky. I shook my head.

"Mom, this marriage proposal has everything we need! We could use the money for Dad's hospital bills and pay off the debt, Changhyun could have enough money for college, and we can hire a maid or someone to help you take care of the house! You know we need it!" I pointed out. 

"But how does that benefit you? Have you ever thought about yourself?" Mom asked me.

"I…" I let my voice trail off and my eyes glance at particularly nothing. How does this benefit me? This marriage contract has everything my family needs, and in return, it even has what Minho's family needs: A wife whom Minho fell in love with. 

"There's even your boyfriend, Myungsoo, to think about," Mom said. I bit my bottom lip and dropped the paper on the desk.

"I…I guess I haven't thought about this thoroughly for me," I mumbled.

"Exactly. Now, go get some rest. I know your vacation is quite tiring and romantic, yes? What have you been doing so far with Myungsoo?" Mom asked. I let out a weak laugh. What have I been doing with Myungsoo? I've done plenty of activities with Minho, but I haven't done anything with Myungsoo.

"We've been, um, running around. You know, stuff we do almost every day. Look, I got to go, alright? Bye!" I kissed the phone and quickly hung up before my mom could say another word. Once I put my phone on the table, I quickly got up and jumped on the bed. I stared back at the marriage contract, and chewed on my bottom lip. Signing this was like selling me away for money. It would probably benefit everyone except for myself.

Well, unless I'm in love with Minho. 

Ba-thump. I blushed and quickly hid the contract in my suitcase. What was I thinking? Falling in love with Minho? Psh. That's just weird, right? I touched my lips, and my memories flashed back to when Minho had kissed me only a few hours ago. I blushed even harder and I felt my pale flesh heat up. I shook my head and slapped my cheeks.

"How dare you think like that!" I scolded myself. But maybe, just maybe, I have a small feeling for Minho.

 

I was holding hands with someone. I didn't know exactly who, but soon, the hand slipped away from mine and started running. I wanted to follow, but my feet froze on the spot. There was a truck coming not towards me, but towards another unfamiliar woman. She had a smile on her face- a beautiful smile. She tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, and the person who had held my hand kept running towards her. Before the truck had hit the woman, I was shifted to another place.

I was at a building. A very tall and well-structured building. I was facing the window, looking down at the small objects which seemed to be the busy cars. I felt a strong pair of arms wrap around my waist and a small pair of hands tugging my skirt. I looked down, and met the most innocent pair of brown eyes I've ever seen. It was a lovely child who kind of resembled…

"Hey, wake up! Seriously, wake up!" I groaned and slowly opened my heavy eyes. Suzy was glaring at me, and it was still early in the morning. I slowly got up, and realized that Suzy was awake. The bed next to me was empty, so I quickly used the remaining space and smiled to myself. I stopped smiling when Suzy began to hit my head with her pillow. I moaned and sat up.

"What was that for?" I asked, glaring at her. Suzy could only roll her eyes at me.

"For not waking up! Hurry up and change! We need to talk," Suzy said. From the tone of her voice, she seemed really serious. I got up like she told me to and quickly changed into some comfortable clothes in the bathroom. When I came out of the restroom, I found Suzy gone and the room filled with snores from the boys. I shook my head and slightly chuckled at the guys hogging the blanket.

I wonder how I was able to sleep through their snores, I thought, leaving the hotel room quietly.

After several of minutes, I met Suzy down at the lobby. She looked kind of frustrated, but I was too sleepy to tell.

"Finally you're up. Hurry up and let's take a walk," Suzy said. I rubbed my arms and pouted.

"But it's so cold outside! Let's just talk here," I suggested. Suzy shot me a glare, and the next thing I knew, I was following behind Suzy like a dog. I yawned tiredly and wrinkled my nose when I inhaled the salty breeze. Suddenly, she stopped abruptly and I stopped my tracks. She turned around, and raised an eyebrow.

"Yesterday, when we were having the picnic, did you do anything with Minho?" Suzy asked. The kiss scene replayed in my head. I quickly shook my head in denial as I noticed my irregular heartbeat. "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive!" I blurted. "Minho and I are only in the friendship level! Nothing more, nothing else!"

"But what about Myungsoo? Didn't you ditch him yesterday?" Suzy asked.

"N-No! I was going to get some soda with Minho, but we unconsciously ended back at the hotel…"

"Promise?" Suzy interrogated. I nodded my head and raised my right hand. 

"I promise," I lied. Behind my back, I hid my crossed fingers. Guilt overwhelmed my chest, but I kept a straight face.

Suzy examined me for a moment, and heaved a sigh. "Okay, good. I… Remember what I told you about leaving Myungsoo?"

I nodded slowly. "Y-Yep.

Then the unexpected happened. Suzy smiled at me. This wasn't some fake smile she usually did, or the bitter ones she gave me. It was a real, fond smile, which creeped me out a lot.

"Please try to hang out with Myungsoo more today. It's the last day of the trip. I feel like he's kind of…fading away from you," Suzy whispered. I nodded my head and followed Suzy back to the hotel.

So it's not only me who notices that my relationship with Myungsoo is breaking apart, I thought, frowning.

 

"You saw them talking, right?" Minho asked. Myungsoo could only stare out the window and watch ~~~~ and Suzy walk back to the hotel. "Have any idea what they're talking about?"

"No," Myungsoo lied quietly. Minho smirked and pulled out the marriage contract he had given you. It was the exact same copy, except this one had his signature on it.

"I told you about this before, right?" Minho said. Myungsoo nodded his head and looked away. "Your relationship with ~~~~ is already falling apart. You guys are barely hanging out, and a lot of people think of me as ~~~~'s boyfriend. Face it, you don't have what it takes to be with ~~~~. Give up."

Myungsoo clenched his fist and looked away. "Just because you have the money and the looks doesn't mean ~~~~ is going to give up on me easily. She's a lot better girlfriend then that."

"Maybe, but you're not the best boyfriend for her," Minho provoked. Myungsoo narrowed his eyes and shot Minho a deadly glare.

"What makes you say that, huh? You hardly even know her. I've known her for years, and compared to you, I'm actually experienced with socializing," Myungsoo spat. 

"You even admitted that the first time you saw her, you knew that your relationship wouldn't last for long. Though you kept holding onto her, can't you feel her fading away? You didn't even notice her disappearance yesterday, and she noticed that you showered Suzy with attention." Minho put his shoulder on Myungsoo's stiff shoulder. "Face it, Myungsoo. It's time to let go. You've been holding onto your girlfriend for three long years. Take a break and let someone else date her."

Myungsoo gritted his teeth and shoved away Minho's hand. "You know what? We're a perfect couple. We don't need you to bother us. Stop…Stop messing our relationship!"

Myungsoo grabbed something to wear his tank top and rushed out the door. Minho gave Myungsoo a blank expression, then smirked.

"You know it's fate!" Minho shouted. Myungsoo ignored Minho and slammed the door behind him. Minho chuckled quietly to himself and looked out the window. "You know that more than me…"