An Ugly Shift

That Cold Wall Called Fate

"So what are we going to do for today?" I asked Myungsoo. Suzy was able to accompany Minho so that he wouldn't bother me. Myungsoo smiled and grabbed my smooth hands as he sipped his smoothie with happiness. I grinned and did the same.

"Well, since we're alone for today, I was thinking about doing something for us," Myungsoo said.

I frowned. "Like what?"

"I don't know. I mean, we've already done a few things here. I know a place fifty minutes from here where I think you'll enjoy," Myungsoo informed me.

"I'm curious, Myungsoo! Tell me!" I urged. Myungsoo smirked and ran his fingers through my hair. I slightly furrowed my eyebrow. Usually when Myungsoo ran his fingers through my hair, I'd feel happy and… I don't know, girly I guess. However, his touch did not move my heart. 

Huh?

"Fine, fine. Since I love you, I'll tell you what we're going to do today," Myungsoo replied. Not only was my behavior strange, but his was, too. Myungsoo would never tell me his secret plan even if I beg or plead on my knees. However, he was already explaining to me how we were going to have a romantic time at the beach, where the fireworks would be put off during the night. Although I was confused, I kept an amused expression. I felt no love from him, and I knew that he didn't feel anything from me. Our conversation was… blank.

It was as if our relationship just… I don't know, died.

 

"Do you think they still love each other?" Minho looked up from his ice coffee and stared at Suzy. They were at a nearby fast food restaurant and decided to eat something that would fill up their stomach. Minho smirked as he bit into his third hamburger while Suzy was still on her first burger.

"Why? Are you worried? Excited?" Minho asked. Suzy grimaced.

"I just feel like this is wrong. I mean, I know you wanted me to do anything that would make their relationship weak, but I feel like I'm trying to strengthen it. It's wrong, Minho. We shouldn't do this," Suzy confessed. When she looked up, her skin went pale. Minho's eyes were dark and cold. There was a spark of betrayal in his eyes and another strong emotion - something that Suzy couldn't quite understand.

"You want us to stop? After all we've done?" Minho asked, raising his voice.

"N-No, not like that. It's just that-"

"It's far too late, now. No matter what you say, nothing's going to work," Minho interrupted. 

"Nothing's impossible-"

"But this is impossible," Minho responded cooly, biting into his fries. Suzy clenched her fist under the table.

"Why? Why is it impossible? Tell me exactly the reasons why," Suzy demanded. Minho kept quiet, waiting patiently for Suzy to continue. Although she thought she had nothing more to say, the words slipped out of . "I told ~~~~ to hold onto Myungsoo. Knowing how much she loves him, she would never let go. As for Myungsoo, he's a loyal boyfriend. He will never leave someone's side. He's the type of guy where if you fall, he'll stay right besides you and wait until you grow your wings again. He's a great friend, and I wouldn't be able to be here without him."

Minho laughed, causing a few people to glance at him. "A great friend? A loyal boyfriend? Please, you don't know one of the deepest secrets Myungsoo's been hiding."

"Myungsoo doesn't have secrets!" Suzy defended. "If he did, he would've told me. We're best friends. Did you know that?"

"I know everything. It just seems like you don't know anything." Minho leaned closer to Suzy, which caused her to back up a bit. "I wonder…"

"W-What? "Suzy stuttered.

"What would happen if I showed you - or told you - Myungsoo's deepest secret?" Minho whispered. Suzy felt him breathing on her lips, but she didn't know how to react. She felt Minho's eyes drilling a hole in her own. His intense, amused expression scared her to the point her body had become stiff and hard. Unconsciously, two words had slipped out of . The moment the left her lips, the moment she began to feel regret and guilt.

"Show me."

 

Night came sooner than I had expected. Myungsoo and I made our way to the beach which a blanket and picnic basket. When our noses hit the scent of the salty sea, we could already tell that we had arrived. The beach was crowded with so many people, it was quite difficult for us to find a spot. We managed to find a spot near the shore, which no one wanted because of the tides coming in. 

"Take off your shoes," Myungsoo said, "so that you can let the water touch your feet instead. It'll feel relaxing."

I obeyed as he commanded me to, and he was right. When the cold water touched my feet, I giggled. The air was still hot and humid, and it was the perfect time to put my feet in the waters. I lied on the blanket and Myungsoo lied down right next to me. We gazed up at the stars until an awkward silence filled our conversation. This was really strange. The atmosphere wasn't as light as it used to be. Instead, it was heavy and pressured me to keep extremely quiet to the point where I found it harder to breath. I glanced at Myungsoo, and found his strange expression.

He senses the rough atmosphere, too, I thought.

"So… Are you disappinted?" Myungsoo asked. There was a hint of fear in his voice. Not only that, but his question was rather weak enough for me to think twice about ignoring it. I faked a smile and squeezed his hand.

"No, it's perfect," I lied. Our other dates were much better, and those dates took place at our hometown. "When did you hear about the fireworks display? Did you research it or something?"

Myungsoo grinned and pulled me closer to him. "Something. Feed yourself with some of the sandwhich I made for us."

"Your sandwhich? Excuse me, but I made half our dinner, and you only packed the snacks and fruits!" I exclaimed, gaping at him. Myungsoo laughed heartily and kissed my cheek. I blushed, and I was actually glad that I could blush when his lips met my skin. Still, the tingling sensation never came, no matter how much skin contact we had. "Myungsoo…"

"What?" he abruplty responded. He gazed at me with his warm, brown eyes. As I stared deeply into them, the seemed to tell me not to ask him about how I really feel. I heaved a sigh, and stared back at the sky.

"Nothing. Look, there goes the first firework!" I said, changing the subject. I pointed my finger high into the air, pretending to smile once more. Why wasn't I happy with Myungsoo anymore? We're perfect. We love each other. So why am I wishing that I could leave by his side for someone else? 

Why did Myungsoo seem to be in the friend zone?

 

Suzy silently wept as she wiped away her endless streaming tears from her cheek. Minho stood next to Suzy, not giving her a word of comfort. The two stared at ~~~~ and Myungsoo with pity in their eyes. Although the fireworks in the sky were supposed to cheer up everyone on the beach, Suzy could not stop herself from crying. Seeing the couple become so awkward with each other saddened Suzy. Her eyes were finally wide open, and she no longer saw what ~~~~ had always seen. She had now learned to see things in Myungsoo's and Minho's persepctive, and it was an ugly shift.

"How sad," Suzy breathed, sniffing. Minho slipped his hands in his pocket, unsure of how to stop the girl from crying.

"Here's the sad reality that I discovered the moment I spotted Myungsoo," Minho started. "Those two never seemed to connect themselves. Sure, you could say that they loved each other more than any other couples could, but they were too perfect. In this unfair world of ours, perfection never lasts. It'll only last for a short period of time, and that could be only minutes or even years. Fate decided to play with their feelings, and made them to become a couple when in reality they are destined to become just friends or maybe strangers. It's unfair. Really, it's unforgivable for fate to do such a thing."

"B-But… They can go against it!" Suzy exclaimed, tugging on Minho's shirt. Minho exhaled loudly and looked away.

"Fate is strong. Maybe you can go against it, but it'll eventually come-" When Minho met Suzy's teary eyes, he stopped. Suzy curled her fingers into a fist and tightly gripped on Minho's shirt. 

"Please… Help them," Suzy begged. Her voice was hoarse, and her head ached. Minho stood still for a few seconds, then slowly shook his head.

"Don't even try," Minho whispered. "When they break up, I'll be depending on you to take care of Myungsoo."

"What about ~~~~? Huh? Is she just going to be a piece of garbage or something? She's a human being! She won't be able to cope up with this!" Suzy yelled, but quiet enough for Minho to hear her.

Minho's face turned dark and he diverted his attention to somewhere else. "About Myungsoo's girlfriend… Don't worry about her. She has another road to walk on when she breaks up with Myungsoo."