VIII.

Russian Roulette

Days passed, but JaeJoong never really kept his word. There were times when he absentmindedly passed by Seo's neighborhood, and before even summing up the courage to go up and visit, he ends up being scared and anxious that he speeds his car up and ran from the place again. The only chance he had, end up in disappointment when he gave back the clothes he borrowed from Mrs. Hwang. He was so excited that day, that he even wore his favorite dark suit, and use the perfume he had, that he only use for special occasions. But as soon as he went inside the house, Mrs. Hwang mentioned suddenly that SeoHyun was staying over her friend's house for two days, leaving JaeJoong sad, and his efforts flushed down the drain.

But no matter how JaeJoong denies it, his words and his actions are just incongruent. The woman's image is stucked inside his mind, making him feel curious to whatever did the woman did that make him feel this way. 

"Aisssh! What's happening with you Jae?" He asked himself, feeling frazzled, his gaze looking for answers as he looked through the big window behind his desk. 

"Getting more idotic by the day I think," a voice answered sternly. JaeJoong was startled and rolled his seat, facing his secretary. There Tiffany stood in her shorts and blazer combo, with JaeJoong's trusty planner in hand. 

"And I still wonder why I haven't fire you yet, that mouth of yours is getting more poisonous Fanny," JaeJoong sneered at his apathetic secretary. 

Fanny just smirked at her boss and said, "Easy, I'm the only girl who's immuned by KM's group y Casanova." 

But instead of answering back, something, or rather someone crossed his mind, "Doubtful." He said, as the girl from before, was beggining to popped inside his head again. 

Not showing any interest on her boss' answer, she opened the planner, and began discussing the things that JaeJoong needed to attend to, but oblivious to her, her boss' thoughts are floating again to the recent lady who's been filling up his thoughts. 

Now that Tiffany mentioned it, JaeJoong started to asked himself, why Seo doesn't seem affected by his charms. Usually, without even doing anything, woman would just fall head over heels for him, other than Tiffany of course, SeoHyun was also someone who seemed immuned by his Casanova aura. But unlike Tiffany, Seo more like feared Jae. He was about to conclude that maybe Seo was also gay, just like his secretary, but he quickly dismissed the idea when he remembered that she was engaged.

"Director are you okay?" Fanny asked concerned, as she was shaking her hand in front of him, waking him up from his wits.

"Ne.. um so I have to go to the department store right now?" He said, making a quick guess, by hearing the last word she just said.  

She shook her head, "That's the last one on the list director."

"Oh."

"For this hour, you have a meeting director.."

"Meeting? With whom?" 

"Jessica. She's here director." She said quickly, and stared at him, looking for any possible violent reactions from just her name. Fanny was used to his boss, changing expressions whenever he hears his ex's name, along with a string of colorful curse words. For the past few days, Fanny saw how her boss was starting to changed back into his old cheerful self again, but she still feels worry and concern for the man. "Would you like me to cancel?" She asked, as she stared at her boss, who didn't seem to react from her previous answer. 

"Cancel? Of course not. Let her in Fanny." He smiled, looking carefree. 

Fanny gave him a last look, and retreated back to the lobby, bringing Jessica to his office. When the door opened, Jae saw his ex, dressed exceptionally well in her beige dress, and her folder and iPad in hand. 

"Good morning," she greeted silently, feeling the awkward atmosphere in the air. Jae greeted her back, and lead her to the black couch that was place across his desk.

"So how have you been?" Jessica asked, busing herself in arranging the papers, just so she has a reason not to make eye contact with him. 

"Great I guess," he said, sounding as cheerful as possible just so he wouldn't make Jessica feel more awkward that before. 

Her cold face, gave me a small smile, "That's good then."

We were about to start, when the door opened. Tiffany came with two cups of coffee in hand. She offered me the other one, but she just callously placed Jessica's cup on the table in front of her. 

"Yah!" The blonde hair girl said angrily. 

But Tiffany looked unaffected by the other woman's anger, but instead she pursed her lips, leaving Jessica even more irritated by her action. She closed the door louder than the normal, leaving me stiffling my laughter as I watch Jessica get more frustrated by Fanny. 

"You need to fire that woman. Tch! She doens't even have any manners!" Jessica said furiously, as her gazed went back to the door. 

"Really? I like Fanny just the way she is," JaeJoong said, putting more feelings of delight as he used the nickname he gave her. Tiffany's attitude may get into his nerves sometimes, but at situations like this, that her rotten attitude gives pure joy to JaeJoong. 

"ARE YOU DATING HER?!" She asked, her face, looking disgusted, by the possible reality that she just asked. 

JaeJoong didn't answer, instead, he just gave him a secretive smile.

Feeling disappointed, Jessica just decided not to press for answers. She opened the iPad, and just chosed to start with their meeting. 

"Okay, let's start then," JaeJoong said, as he saw his ex feeling uncomfortable from the recent conversation.

----

"Seo! Coffee and blueberry cheescake for table 7!" Mr. Choi called out, as he rang the bell. Seo rushed towards the counter as as soon as she put down table 1's order. 

She took the tray as caustiously as possibly, and carefully placed it in front of the customers table. "Enjoy your meal," she briefly told and went back to the counter. 

Just like any other day the Coffee Place was bustling with a lot of people. The place was very popular to the masses, especially females. The place was run by 6 pretty-boy idol-like males, with the exception of SeoHyun, and a warm father-like manager. Seo was a new addition to the group, when Mrs. Hwang, begged Mr. Choi to give her a job. Even with the strict requirements, Mr. Choi let Seo worked for them, since he owed a lot to the older lady's husband. 

It took a long time for Seo to adjust, and until now she still wasn't comfortable in the new atmosphere, but as much as possible, she tried socializing with the rest of the group. 

She was on her 10th table, when the tray she was carrying accidentally slipped from her fingers, leaving the contents pilled up on the floor. Seo quickly apologized to the customer, and hurriedly picked up the broken pieces of the cups. Minho immediately rushed towards, her carrying a mop, while TaeMin was following closely behind him, carrying a new set of orders to the customer. 

"Gwenchana?" Minho asked his noona, and absentmindedly took the girl's hand, examining for burns or cuts. 

Feeling uncomfortable by the sudden action, Seo pulled her hands and back to her chest. Her fingers, curled into fists. "Ne, I'm fine." 

Then Minho didn't answer, seeing that it was probably rude of him to just do what he just did to her. Instead, they just quietly clean up the spot. When Seo was carrying the bag that held the broken porcelain, Mr. Choi signaled for her to come. 

"Are you okay?" He asked, the sudden creasing of his forehead, made his wrinkles even more visible. Just like his son, he look quite worried. 

Seo nodded, showing him her unscathed fingers. 

"I'm not talking about that, that's the 3rd time today Seo. You aren't usually like this," he said pointing out the observation he had seen since this morning. It was normal for Seo to not talk too much to others, and Mr. Choi already knows her habits, but unlike the rest, she never made a mess in the shop, it was only today that he, and the rest of the gang, saw that Seo was feeling out of it today. 

She quickly apologized. 

"What happened Seo?.. Is it Mrs. Hwang?" He asked, looking even more anxious. 

She immediately shook her head, "I'm just not feeling well." 

"Jinja? Are you sick?" 

The woman nodded. 

"Then you could've just called in sick today."

"I wouldn't want to bother anyone.." She said quietly, as she played with her apron's knot. 

Softened by the girl's concern, he immediately turned her body towards another door, "I'm sure Minho and TaeMin can handle the customers today, so now, you can leave early today." He said, pushing her towards the room. 

"But-"

"No buts Seo! Now go!" He said and successfully pushed her inside the locker room. 

Seo sighed, feeling hopeless, since she knew how serious the manager is. She quickly changed out of her uniform, and put on her grey skinny jeans, and her yellow and green striped long sleeves shirt. She ed her black shoes, and put on her white flats.

She checked her image in front of the big mirror. She frowned, if there was one thing she hates, it was an afternoon full of hours to herself. 

----

 

"So that's it then," Jessica announced at they both finished with the proposal. After three hours of discussing the perfect plans for launching a new product, JaeJoong was sure drained with the afternoon's first agenda. 

JaeJoong stretched out his arms, "It still 3 in the afternoon and I'm already tired."

"Want to grab coffee then?" Jessica finally asked, after a good fifteen minutes of mentally debating whether to ask the guy or not. She was shuffling the papers, giving her a reason not to look into his eyes as she waited for him to answer.. or more like reject her. 

"Umm.. Jessica.." he said, finding the right words to say. He was hesistating wether to go our not, but deep inside, almost a 100% of him wanted to reject her. 

Jessica looked at him, with her eyes pleading, "I know it's a bit awkward, but it's just that it's been so long since we had coffee," she paused and bit her lip, taking in mind wether to continue with what she was saying. After the break up, he and Jessica never really had any communication, and the first few phone calls they had, they only talked about business, and this meetting was the first contact they had after five months. 

"I know but-"

"I just wanted coffee Jae, nothing more." She said, which was completely the opposite. She never admitted it to anyone but she actually missed Jae, before they dated, they actually knew each other for more than 5 years. They started out as friends in college, since their families were close, as soon as Jessica finished high school in the States, she came back to Korea, and had JaeJoong was one of her first new friends. Jae became the first best guy friend she had. "I still want to be friends with you Jae."

JaeJoong stood up, and motioned towards the the big window, "I know, but five months have already passed, but the pain you gave still exists Sica. I'm lying right now if I tell that I don't have feelings for you anymore. I'm still trying to move on Sica.. so can you just put that coffee as a raincheck?" 

Hearing Jae's answer, she tried to control the tears that dare to fall. She couldn't answer back. Deep inside, Jessica feels regret in what she did, and breaking up the relationship she had with him was the biggest mistake she ever did. She knows that no matter how much she begged right now, Jae won't have her back. She was probably even thankful for him, for trying so hard to act civil with her, even after what she done. 

After putting the papers back inside her bag, she immediately stood up and walked towards the door. She said a quick goodbye, leaving her ex, who unknowingly was fighting back the tears like she was. 

Jae picked up the phone, "What's next Fanny?" He asked calmly, acting like nothing happened.

----

"So that's all then Manager?" Jae asked the older man, who has been accompanying him the whole time he was supervising the department store. After having a quick meeting with his father and a new client, he quickly rushed to the department store. He needed to go there, to find some flaws and places that needed to be improved. Of course, the business of theirs has a lot of competition, so they needed to upgrade the store yearly. 

"Ne Director Kim-" 

But the older man speech was then stopped, when the both of them heared a captivating sad lullaby. Both of them halted on their steps, and looked at the woman who was playing the white piano inside the music shop. The manager was about to go in and scold the lady but Jae shook his head. 

He stepped closer, looking at the familiar brown hair of the lady. The sad lullaby, enclosing his heart slowly, every note bewitching him. When he saw her peaceful face, while playing the piano, Jae's heart started to beat faster again, just like the day he saw her in the park. Just like before, her eyes, held something else inside her.. sorrow. For some reason, he wanted the lady from the casino back, the one who kept talking about the good sides of love. 

"Don't you think that tune needs a happier note?" He blurted out, as he was staring at her face. Her lullaby miss a beat, and she stopped playing when she was stunned to have encountered with the stranger again. 

She immediately gripped her the sling of her bag. She was about to leave, when Jae thugged the hem of her shirt, telling her to sit down, "Don't go.. I won't hurt you, trust me?" He said, looking at her with desperation in his eyes. 

For some reason, the question he asked, felt a lot more deeper than just playing the piano. What shock Seo more was that she quickly obliged to the stranger's request. 

"Play for it for me again," he asked softly. 

Seo didn't answer, but her long fingers started to play the familiar sad lullaby. Losing in the middle of it, unknown to her, the stranger was getting more and more memerize of her.. and the music she was playing. But his bliss ended so soon, with the music. She bid her goodbye, thanking him with a smile, which was a first. That was the first time she looked at the stranger without fear in her eyes. 

"Thank you Seo," he said quietly as he looked at her retreating figure. His heart fluttering as her smiling image was etched inside his mind.

 

----

Sorry if my JaeSeo was short. 

I promised there'll be more of their sweet moments for sure.

Hope you enjoyed reading.

Anyways I have a big test tomorrow, have to study

Wish me luck guys :)

Byebye~

HUGSSSSS!