Chapter 17

Waltz of a Comet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

Halley quickly turned off her alarm on her phone and checked the time. It was 4:45 AM. She rubbed her sleepy eyes and let out a yawn. She quickly washed up, brushed her teeth, combed her hair then changed into jeans and a white shirt, then put on her jacket and as quiet as a mouse left the room. It was a success. Hyejeong didn’t wake up. Slowly, she went in the living room and looked around. There wasn’t a single soul nearby. Everyone was sleeping in their room. She checked the time again. 4:58. Yesterday, Lay had told her to meet him at 5:00 in the garden. She put on her sneakers and headed out. It was still dark and cold outside, yet you couldn’t see the stars anymore.  As she came closer, she noticed Lay standing next to Jongin’s car.

“Surprise.” Lay whispered and opened the door for her.

Upon hearing his soft voice, a shiver of excitement ran down her spine. “What’s this?” She looked at him bewildered.

“A date.” He shrugged and motioned her to sit down. 

“Where are we going? Does Jongin know about his car?” She asked in a curious tone.

“You’ll see. And yes, he’s aware. I asked him yesterday.” He fastened their seatbelts, then started the engine.

The beach wasn’t far, but he thought it would be more comfortable to drive then walk. They were quiet throughout the ride. It was too early for a morning chat, Halley even dozed off a bit. That familiar dimpled smile appeared on Lay’s face when they arrived. He opened the door for Halley again, then the trunk. He took out a large cardboard box and his backpack.  Halley had a big breath of the salty air and looked around. They were the only ones there at that hour. They could hear the waves and a few gulls chirping. Lay put down the box and spread out a red blanket on the sand. Halley looked questioningly at him. 

“I couldn’t find a picnic basket.” He smiled shyly then took out two cups, two bottles and a lunch box, stuffed with egg rolls, kimbap, salads and fruits from the box. “We shall sit down.”

“You cooked these?” The effort he had made amazed her. It was early morning, yet Lay had prepared a feast for her.

He nodded. “Not my best work. Some ingredients were missing... But I tried my best. I made tea and coffee so you can choose whichever you want.”

“Yixing.” She stopped him. “Did you sleep at all?”

“Not much.” He answered leisurely, like it didn’t bother him at all. “I know it’s early but I hope you can eat a bit.”

“Please, I can eat anytime.” She picked up a kimbap and ate it. “Yixing. This is amazing. I feel like I don’t deserve this. You’re too good for me.” She smiled at him lovingly and picked another kimbap.

 “No, no.” He shook his hands. “Don’t even think that. I’m not too good, I’m bad enough for you.”

Halley chuckled at him panicking and reached for a piece of apple. She chewed on the slightly sour fruit and averted her gaze to thy sky. The shining sun started rising from the ground, filling the previously dark sky with beautiful colors of red, pink, orange and yellow. It was a mesmerizing sight.

They were quietly eating and offering each other pieces of food while watching the rising sun. Then Lay slowly took Halley’s hand in his. She examined their interlaced fingers and her bright red face harmonized with the colors of the sunrise. Lay’s hand was warm even in the chilly morning weather. They stared into each other’s sparkling eyes, while the sun cast a gold shine on their faces, making their blushing even more visible. Halley’s thumping heart wanted to break out of her chest already, but then Lay moved closer and closer, until he could gently brush his nose with hers. He looked at her, his warm, brown eyes flashing a sign of hesitation. Lay let out a small sigh which she could feel on her skin, making her mind go blank. Every nerve, muscle, bone in her body felt like burning from lust. Lay gently pressed his passionate lips against hers, placing his hand on her nape, gently caressing her. Halley felt like she could melt from the warmth that washed over her entire body. They deepened the kiss as lust took over their minds. Lay’s hand moved under Halley’s shirt and caressed her waist, as her fingers ran through his brown hair. They broke their kiss when they could feel the lack of air. Lay rested his forehead against hers, as they smiled at each other. He then pecked his forehead, as a single act of admiration. He was over the moon.  They sat there a bit in a calming silence, focusing on their environment.

Halley tried to calm her thumping heart, but it seemed useless. Her face was as red as a cherry and her skin was hot like she had a fever. She peeked at Lay and was amazed by his handsome, chiseled face. “Thank you for taking me here. I really appreciate it.” She spoke up.

“I’m glad you like it and you aren’t mad I made you wake up this early.”

“It's worth it.” She looked deep in his eyes and leaned forward so she can kiss him again.

Soon, the sun was up, so they decided to pack the picnic essentials and head to the car before the others would notice they’re missing.

 

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

 

It was still early, so their friends were still sleeping in the house. They stood in the living room, silently examining each other. Both wore a huge grin but seemed embarrassed as well. Halley could see faint dark circles under Lay’s eyes. She caressed his face gently and spoke up softly.

“Go and sleep a little more. You must be tired.”

“I don’t think I can sleep right now.” He flashed a cheeky smile, then let out a yawn. Halley rolled her eyes, amused and chuckled.

“Yeah. I see.” 

Lay moved closer and pecked her temple, then her lips. “Okay. I sleep a bit.” 

They bid goodbye and Lay went upstairs. As she watched him leaving, she checked the time. It was 6.17 AM, so she can use a bit more sleep too. She carefully opened the door and headed in the room. Hyejeong was still sleeping, cluelessly. She slipped under the blanket and closed her eyes. 

 

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

 

She woke up later with a huge grin plastered on her face. Their little secret date was adorable and perfect. No one has ever made this effort to impress her, so she was really thankful. She went to the kitchen and saw everyone was awake except Lay. Poor soul. He probably prepared for their date since early dawn. Chanyeol slung an arm around Halley and pecked her temple as a friendly good morning kiss. She blushed upon remembering that Lay’s lips was on the same spot earlier. 

“What’s the plan for today?” He asked, not noticing her blush.

“Beach.” Jongin said while eating cereal.

“Good morning.” Lay stepped in the kitchen and Halley’s heart skipped a beat. He sat down next to Jongin and flashed a smile at Halley’s direction.

“Hi sleepy head. Breakfast?” Hyejeong asked him and placed a bowl in front of him.

Lay shook his head. “No, thank you. I’m not hungry.” He shared a knowing look with Halley and poured himself a glass of orange juice.

“So. Beach again?” Chanmi shifted her attention to the boys.

“It’s our last day. We should enjoy the sea until we can.” Baekhyun agreed.

“Then, let’s meet in 15 minutes and go.” Chanyeol suggested and put Jongin’s empty bowl in the sink.

“Actually,” Halley caught their attention. “Chanyeol, can I borrow your car? I want to go to the mall. I need to buy a present for Hosung.”

“Sure thing.” He went to his bag and searched for his keys. Halley trotted in his tails. “Here,” He gave her the keys. “Do you want me, dear Tucana, to accompany you?” Chanyeol winked at her with his usual ear to ear grin.

“No, thank you.” She accepted the keys. “I know you love the beach. Go have fun. I quickly buy something for Hosung then I join you guys.”

“Okay. Call me If you change your mind.” He ruffled her pinkish hair then left to his room to pack his beach essentials.

“And can I accompany you?” Lay stood in the door frame with crossed arms and a flirty smile.

Halley blushed when she heard his sweet voice. “Well… Do you not want to spend your time at the beach?”

“I don’t without you.” He shook his head and stepped closer to her. Her vanilla scent made his mind go crazy.

“Okay then.” She smiled. “But I’m driving!” She strolled into her room to change and pack her bag.

 

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

 

The mall was a twenty minutes’ drive away. The parking lot was filled with cars. No wonder, apart from the locals, it’s not uncommon that a lot of tourists visit this mall too. They went past the grand entrance and were surrounded by hundreds of stores, stalls and people. Lay absentmindedly put his hand on Halley’s back, leading the way through the crowd. They hopped on the escalator and scanned their surroundings. Halley was lost in her thoughts. She tried to figure out a gift idea to her little brother. Although Hosung was easy to please, Halley wants to give him a present he will cherish even more.

“Do you have any idea what an 8-year-old little boy wants for his birthday?” Halley shifted her attention to Lay.

“Hmmm.” He thought about it. “What does he like? Cars? Video games? Sports?”

“Well. He likes soccer and video games. Those zombie-killing types. He plays it in secret because mom would never let him play such a violent game.” She shook her head as she remembered their overprotective mother.

They were quietly window shopping, but Halley still didn’t have better gift ideas. After the nth store, she sighed in defeat and suggested they should sit down for a moment. They chose a café and Lay ordered a latte for her, and an iced tea for himself. He placed the paper cup on the table and Halley thanked him. They sipped on their beverages as they could hear the radio’s soft mall music.

“I should call them.” She fished out her phone and dialed her mother. After a few rings, her mother answered the phone. “Hey mom! It’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter