Chapter 1

Waltz of a Comet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

“Sorry for being late.” Lay jumped in the Mercedes minivan, Kris nodded behind the wheel but Sehun started his story about Lay always being late and how disrespectful he has been lately. Besides the fact that Sehun is the maknae of the group, he’s the sassiest one for sure.

“You’re always like this Hyung. We’ve been waiting for you for almost half an hour.” He rolled his eyes.

“That’s not true. You guys came early. Anyway, where are we going?” He fastened his seatbelt. Sehun was sitting in the passenger’s seat, behind him sat two boys, Jongin and Junmyeon. Next to Lay was Baekhyun.

“We gonna pick up Kris’ cousin. She spends the summer holiday in Seoul almost every year.” Jongin enlightened him while typing on his phone.

“Unfortunately… She’s a rigid .”

“Sehun! Language!” Kris frowned as he made a U-turn.

“I mean wicked witch.” He crossed his arms and looked out of the window. He has to see her again; the frustration was eating him up inside.

“Not much better.” Kris sighed and sped up. They were running late already. That wasn't his style.

“Why? Halley is an annoying, childish brat, making my life miserable.”  

“Are you talking about yourself?” Baekhyun winked at him.

Sehun snorted. “Verry funny, Hyung. But seriously. She plays with her colorful hair and bats her irritating, long eyelashes, then everyone fall head over heels. She may look pretty, but looks don’t matter. On the inside, she’s an evil .” Sehun started whining again.

 

Lay sighed and leaned back in his seat. He hasn’t been friends with these guys for long. He’s been living in Seoul for a while, he had known Jongin and Sehun from college because they’re attending Hongik University too; the two were 2 years younger than him but had a few same class. Last September he joined the dance studio, owned by Kris, and became friends with the others. However, sometimes it’s hard to keep up with them. They’re all noisy and energetic. He is more on the laid-back side.

“Don’t worry Lay. She’s ok.” Baekhyun gave him a thumbs up. “Actually, Sehun and Halley were best friends when they were kids but they had a little quarrel, and as you can see Sehun is still ing about it.” He patted his shoulder when he saw Lay's puzzled face. He was a bit confused but he's used to it. He's confused most of the time.

 

Fortunately, they arrived at the crowded bus station in time. People were looking for their relatives or friends just like them. Some were running to the bus, some were embracing each other. Lay almost ran into a man who was calling for a taxi. He bowed to him as an apology and went after the other guys, who were looking for Halley with eagle eyes. He wasn’t much of a help since all he knew about Halley was that ‘she’s an okay evil witch’. Not his choice of words though. Then they heard something. A loud and happy scream. After that a girl appeared, running to their direction.

 

“Kriiiiiiiis Oooooppaaaaa!” The said girl, with bright pink and purple hair, flew into Kris’ arms. She was wearing tight black jeans and a simple white shirt with a V neck. She put her sunglasses on the top of her head. Lay looked her up and down carefully and came to the final decision that she had the most beautiful dark brown eyes he has ever seen. Her presence mesmerized him. “Woaaaah my whole body is stiff as a rock. It’s good to walk after more than three hours. Ah! Junmyeon Oppa! How have you been?” She ran to him for an embrace. It seems like she's close to the guys.

“All well.” He said to her, smiling. Everyone greeted her, well almost everyone; Sehun quietly stood at the back. Jongin and Baekhyun hugged her as well, then they were catching up with each other’s news.

“I don’t know you!” Suddenly she pointed at the person she hasn’t seen before. “Or are you the new guy? The Yixing one?”

He was dumbfounded. Yes, he was aware of the fact too, that ‘he is the Yixing one’ but the way she expressed herself was so blunt he had to take a step back. With wide eyes, he nodded and she waved to him.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Kris’ one and only lovely cousin, my name is Halley. I heard a lot about you Yixing.”

The fact that she called him Yixing instead of Lay was odd. People tend to like his nickname better because it was easier to pronounce. He didn’t blame them. There were Korean words he struggled with, even after living in Korea for more than five years. He couldn’t even answer her because of Sehun's growling.

“Lovely my .” He emphasized the last word.

“Sehun-ah you’re here too? I’m happy to see you. I needed something to look at to lose my appetite. You're the best diet, thanks!” She was looking daggers at him.

“Sehun! Can you please bring Halley’s luggage to the car? Thank you.” Kris had a stoic face. The younger did what he was told without a word.

They got in the car some sulkily, some happily. Halley sat between Baekhyun and Lay. They were lively chatting when she suddenly stopped.

“WHERE IS MY CUTE AND LOVELY SWEET PUMPKIN PIE?” Her loud voice echoed in the car and startled Lay.

“You mean Chanyeol? He’s staying with her sister. He’ll come back on Friday. Chill woman.” Jongin couldn’t help but laugh. He missed this silly girl.

At that point, Lay realized why he had the strange feeling that she is quite familiar. She’s like the woman version of their friend, Park Chanyeol. Loud. Happy. Energetic. And maybe a bit weird. In a good way of course.

It was quiet in the car and Lay felt the urge to ask her something. He doesn’t know why; he is definitely not a talkative person but his curiosity won this time.

“ So…” He started, and she looked at him questioningly. “Your name is Halley, right? Like Halley’s comet?” He asked and felt the sudden tension in the car.

Even Sehun turned his head to their direction, worried about what will happen next. Lay looked around bewildered. He didn’t know it was a taboo topic. The guys had just called him and told him to get ready because they’re going out. He didn't know where and why. He didn’t even know Kris had a cousin in the first place. That wasn’t something extraordinary though, he doubted the others know anything about his family circumstances.

“Well… Yes.” She showed him a beautiful smile. “My father loved astronomy and wanted to give me a unique name as his firstborn. He did a great job with that because my full name is Ahn Halley Hyesung, which means ‘Tranquil Halley Comet’. I think he thought it was funny.”

“They should have named you after the meteorite that killed the dinosaurs.” They heard Sehun's low voice.

“That was a boy name. Be thankful Oh Sehun, you almost got that name.” She fought back “Anyway, I’m happy with Halley. My father's other ideas were Andromeda and Orion… If I were a boy they would have called me Ahn Hercules or who knows Ahn Sagittarius.” She turned her attention to the window with a sad smile.

Confusion was written all over on Lay’s face again. He felt bad asking her about this. Looks like it’s not her favorite small talk topic, so he decided to be quiet for the rest of the ride.

 

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

Summer is finally here. After her awful first year of college, Halley really needed to relax and Kris’ house is the best place for that. She’s living in Busan with her grandparents, mother and li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter